• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 11 - "They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom"

Ganhyun

BONUS: -10

Friday
USC (-16.5) v. Colorado COVER

Saturday
Ohio State (-20.5) v. Illinois COVER
Georgia v. Auburn (-6.5) NO COVER
Kansas v. TCU (-41.5) COVER
NC State v. FSU (-13.5) COVER
Nebraska (-10.5) v. Rutgers COVER
Oklahoma State (-20.5) v. Iowa State COVER
Arkansas v. LSU (-7.5) COVER
Oregon v. Stanford (-13.5) NO COVER
Oklahoma v. Baylor (-7.5) NO COVER

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Next on the CFB rumor list Patterson to USC.

I'll believe it when I see it. He's had a lot of success over the last decade that would normally get a coach from a school like that hired away, yet he's still hanging around. Same with Briles at Baylor, and to a slightly lesser extent Gundy at Oklahoma State (only lesser because of all the AD drama a few years ago). Snyder at Kansas State brought a bit of that in the past as well to overlap with the other 3 but he's clearly on the downslope now.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have ol' Pine Box -
Though public denials would be expected, UM people are under the impression that Texas’ Charlie Strong and Cincinnati’s Tommy Tuberville have interest in the UM job.

Draxal

I'll believe it when I see it. He's had a lot of success over the last decade that would normally get a coach from a school like that hired away, yet he's still hanging around. Same with Briles at Baylor, and to a slightly lesser extent Gundy at Oklahoma State (only lesser because of all the AD drama a few years ago).

I hear ya, but USC is one of the schools that can lure anybody, and he does have Socal ties. Nobody expected Petersen to go to Washington (well it was rumored heavily that was the only school he would go to).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'll believe it when I see it. He's had a lot of success over the last decade that would normally get a coach from a school like that hired away, yet he's still hanging around. Same with Briles at Baylor, and to a slightly lesser extent Gundy at Oklahoma State (only lesser because of all the AD drama a few years ago). Snyder at Kansas State brought a bit of that in the past as well to overlap with the other 3 but he's clearly on the downslope now.

### Footballscoop.com reported there have been conversations between reps for UM and Mario Cristobal, but that is not the case, according to a coaching friend of Cristobal.

Blah. Please take him, Miami. He might be an great recruiter, but if a great recruiter can't do anything with that talent they bring in, then they aren't worth it.

The only way I could see Charlie Strong leaving for Miami is if he has been given strong indication by UT admin that his days are numbered and he doesn't think he can turn it around in time. I think with the interim president he has decent job security, but I could be wrong.

Draxal

Blah. Please take him, Miami. He might be an great recruiter, but if a great recruiter can't do anything with that talent they bring in, then they aren't worth it.

FWIW, rumored leader because he's a connection to the glory days of Miami. I still think it would be an awful awful hire for them.

USC(e) Vtech are hunting after the AAC 2 of Fuente and Herman (who supposedly would have been Rutgers coach in 2014 if we fired Flood after 2013 .....I'm really hurt by this).

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I hear ya, but USC is one of the schools that can lure anybody, and he does have Socal ties. Nobody expected Petersen to go to Washington (well it was rumored heavily that was the only school he would go to).

I won't call it impossible, I just won't believe it until I see it. Would have said the same about Petersen, admittedly, and it would have been accurate for quite a long time. Keep in mind that Patterson was the head coach at TCU for 5 seasons before Petersen was hired as head coach at Boise.

In 14 seasons, Patterson has had 9 10+ win seasons, but despite all that success is the 4th longest tenured coach in the country; every Texas school and every "school that can lure anybody" in the country other than Oklahoma has had vacancies over that span.

What California ties does he have? I see a handful of years combined at UC Davis, Cal Lutheran, and Sonoma State on his resume in the late 80s/early 90s but that's about it. Not sure if there's something I'm missing.

Assuming Snyder is done, I'd look for Kansas State to come hard after him (grew up in Kansas and graduated from KSU) but I'm not sure that they could afford him or that he'd want the semi-rebuilding job.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The only way I could see Charlie Strong leaving for Miami is if he has been given strong indication by UT admin that his days are numbered and he doesn't think he can turn it around in time. I think with the interim president he has decent job security, but I could be wrong.

Admittedly, the next sentence in that article is "Strong is considered an appealing candidate if he and Texas part ways..." If there's any truth at all to him being interested I would guess it is likely just an agent doing his job and looking out for a client that's sitting on a really hot seat.

::edit::
Crap, didn't mean to hit post yet on this one.

Draxal

I won't call it impossible, I just won't believe it until I see it. Would have said the same about Petersen, admittedly, and it would have been accurate for quite a long time. Keep in mind that Patterson was the head coach at TCU for 5 seasons before Petersen was hired as head coach at Boise.

In 14 seasons, Patterson has had 9 10+ win seasons, but despite all that success is the 4th longest tenured coach in the country; every Texas school and every "school that can lure anybody" in the country other than Oklahoma has had vacancies over that span.

What California ties does he have? I see a handful of years combined at UC Davis, Cal Lutheran, and Sonoma State on his resume in the late 80s/early 90s but that's about it. Not sure if there's something I'm missing.

Assuming Snyder is done, I'd look for Kansas State to come hard after him (grew up in Kansas and graduated from KSU) but I'm not sure that they could afford him or that he'd want the semi-rebuilding job.

Other tie, is the MWC has some Cali schools, and one does develop ties that way but yeah early coaching career matters.

BONUS: -25

Friday
USC (-16.5) v. Colorado NO COVER

Saturday
Georgia v. Auburn (-6.5) COVER
NC State v. FSU (-13.5) NO COVER
Oklahoma State (-20.5) v. Iowa State NO COVER
Oregon v. Stanford (-13.5) COVER
Oklahoma v. Baylor (-7.5) COVER

andycapps

BONUS: +21

Friday

Saturday
Oklahoma State (-20.5) v. Iowa State COVER

Draxal

Oh yeah if Snyder's done, everybody thinks it Venables job to lose.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Illinois and Ohio state play for a dumb wooden turtle trophy called the illibuck

NqnJLup.jpg

cdyhybrid

Gotta love the old fucks on $9.95 blaming students from Asian countries for the half-empty student sections at games when:

1) The tickets are expensive
2) The student section got moved from behind the team bench to the end zone so the AD could sell those seats to rich old people
3) The weather is awful
4) The team hasn't been good in 15 years
5) Games always start after dark, when students actually have things to do on the weekends
6) UW has something like 30K undergrads and the student section only seats a few thousand, and last I checked UW wasn't 90% Asian

But no, it's those damn Chinese.

76 years ago today, Texas Tech played Centenary in a game that still holds 13 NCAA records due to the incredibly sloppy weather conditions (which caused each team to resort to constant punting).

77 punts, 67 of which came on first down. Texas Tech punter Charlie Calhoun had 1,318 yards punting. Both teams combined for 30 total yards on 33 total plays.

The game ended in a 0-0 tie.

Punting on first down? over and over? what?

I think Centenary is DIII now. They went the way of SEC Sewanee

edit: And PJ Fleck isn't quite ready for big time ball just yet

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'd like to take a moment to preappalogize to everyone for tonight's fuckery. Sorry your stuck watching VT travel down to GT.

andycapps

I'd like to take a moment to preappalogize to everyone for tonight's fuckery. Sorry your stuck watching VT travel down to GT.

All jokes about GT attendance aside, I can't imagine many fans will come out to see their 3-6 team play a midweek game. VT fans might outnumber them.

ryseing

Bonus- +13

Friday
USC (-16.5) v. Colorado- COVER

Saturday
Ohio State (-20.5) v. Illinois- NO COVER
Georgia v. Auburn (-6.5)- NO COVER
Kansas v. TCU (-41.5)- COVER
NC State v. FSU (-13.5)- NO COVER
Nebraska (-10.5) v. Rutgers- COVER
Oklahoma State (-20.5) v. Iowa State- NO COVER
Arkansas v. LSU (-7.5)- COVER
Oregon v. Stanford (-13.5)- COVER
Oklahoma v. Baylor (-7.5)- NO COVER

ag-my001

Bonus- -15

Friday

Saturday
Ohio State (-20.5) v. Illinois- NO COVER
Kansas v. TCU (-41.5)- NO COVER
Nebraska (-10.5) v. Rutgers- NO COVER
Oklahoma v. Baylor (-7.5)- COVER

Bonus- +25

Friday

Saturday
Ohio State (-20.5) v. Illinois- COVER
Georgia v. Auburn (-6.5)- COVER
Oklahoma State (-20.5) v. Iowa State-COVER

Gotta love the old fucks on $9.95 blaming students from Asian countries for the half-empty student sections at games when:

I hate this kind of garbage. Totally unfair to the students and disgusting to boot.

Every school across the country has had falling student attendance, if you as a program want to address that you need to do so directly and not blame the students. There's been a concentrated move away from the student experience towards the alumni experience at games and at the same time it's never been easier to enjoy the game on a Saturday without spending all Friday night/Saturday getting ready for it.

cashman

Banned
Bonus- -46

Friday

Saturday
Ohio State (-20.5) v. Illinois- COVER
Arkansas v. LSU (-7.5)- NO COVER

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
All jokes about GT attendance aside, I can't imagine many fans will come out to see their 3-6 team play a midweek game. VT fans might outnumber them.

Maybe. I doubt that many VT people show up either. I suspect attendance in general to be sub par at best.

I would never pass up a chance to see the Techmo Bowl and final exams are nearly a month away still. Nerds are too busy playing Fallout to go to the game tonight.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Every school across the country has had falling student attendance
We haven't. Our attendance even increased under the Tuberville years.

This WSJ report shows about 34 teams (of 79 schools included) whose student attendance increased from 2009 to 2013. I think student attendance is down overall nationally but there are still a fair number of schools bucking the trend.

Jhriad

What is this the fourth game in a row that you picked us? The spread should be 20 imho.

If Carroo is playing there's no way we beat you by 20. Our pass defense is pretty soft so there will be plenty of opportunities for big plays there. Hell, if he's reasonably healthy I'd be suprised if he didn't have 2-3 TDs.

Karl2177

Friday

Saturday
Kansas v. TCU (-41.5) NO COVER
Oklahoma State (-20.5) v. Iowa State NO COVER

If Carroo is playing there's no way we beat you by 20. Our pass defense is pretty soft so there will be plenty of opportunities for big plays there. Hell, if he's reasonably healthy I'd be suprised if he didn't have 2-3 TDs.

We're going to beat your bloody faces in.

We've got the best coach in the B1G leading us.

We've got a solid defensive coordinator in Joe Rossi. Coach Darrell Wilson is a wizard with the DBacks.

We have the hottest young OC in the business in Ben McDaniels. We've got a quarterback who knows how to get completions in CHRIS BULLET POINT LAVIANO.

Just face it JHRRIAD - you're outcoached, outplayered, and about to get outhustled. Rutgers is going to win in a landslide!

xeris

BONUS:+20

Friday
USC (-16.5) v. Colorado NO COVER

Saturday
Ohio State (-20.5) v. Maryland NO COVER
Oklahoma State (-20.5) v. iowa State NO COVER
Arkansas v. LSU (-7.5) NO COVER
Oregon v. STanford (-13.5) NO COVER

Chris R

"Don't you know who I am"

Damn I wish I could pull that.

Also, talk about a slap on the wrist. A relative ended up paying nearly $2,000 in fees/fines and had to spend the night in jail when he got pulled over, then got their licensed suspended and had to get a breath ignition checker installed for six months.

"Don't you know who I am"

Damn I wish I could pull that.

Also, talk about a slap on the wrist. A relative ended up paying nearly $2,000 in fees/fines and had to spend the night in jail when he got pulled over, then got their licensed suspended and had to get a breath ignition checker installed for six months.

Thanks to losing his summer scholarship, he now has to pay summer tuition which is probably around $5000

Ross Dellenger ‏@DellengerAdv 48m48 minutes ago
Number of fullbacks on #LSU-#Arkansas rosters: 12

Number of fullbacks on other 12 #SEC teams combined: 19

I wonder how many of those 19 are on Alabama?

Edit: Bama only lists one FB on their roster. That's kind of crazy to me.

Auburn has 4 by comparison.
Florida 0
Georgia 6
Kentucky 1
Ole Miss 0
Miss State 0
Missouri 0
SCAR 5
aTm 0
Vanderbilt 2

Weird.

Bonus: -70