• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 13 - Sparty ain't worried 'bout no clock

CBS Sports predicts that you're next!

As of right now:

Rose Bowl: Winner of CCG vs Winner of B1G CCG most likely
Alamo Bowl: Loser of CCG vs Gondo State
Holiday Bowl: Oregon vs someone from the B1G (Looks like possibly the #2 or #3 team but it could be as low as the #5 team)
Foster Farms Bowl: Utah/Wazzu vs someone from the B1G (Looks like the #9 team?)
Sun Bowl: Utah/Wazzu vs someone from the ACC (#3-#6)
Las Vegas Bowl: UCLA vs the MWC #1 or BYU
Cactus Bowl: Cal vs Texas Tech (oh man this would be great)

After that UW, Arizona and Arizona State are all left to accept at large bids.

CBS Sports predicts ND vs. FSU for the Peach Bowl. I can absolutely get behind that.

Joey on College football Final also agrees that Clemson v. UNC is a playoff play in game. If UNC wins, they are in the playoff

As much as I think that should be the case, I just don't know if the committee will see it that way. at best this week they'll move up to #11 in the ranking, and jumping seven spots would be a whole lot even for beating #1. I think it's more likely they put OSU, or maybe even Stanford, in in that scenario. It sucks, but I think that's how it would go.

So apparently Les was told he was going to stay after the game today. Thats pretty weak by the AD.

I like the guy, but he needs to improve his SEC record next year for sure.

Id like to see Oklahoma v Alabama in a playoff game, it will be a close one.

Im hoping UNC demolish Clemson now though.

And Im a little disappointed ND are knocked out. If Fuller and Kaizer are playing next year and they get some of their other players back from injury, they will be a pretty good team.

jjasper

I can't decide if I should be happy we are 8-4 or pissed we aren't 11-1 and about to have a rematch with Bama for a playoff spot.

Guess I'll take the optimistic view.

squicken

I guess all the coaching moves start now. Hopefully coordinators at schools in CCGs wait to interview, at least. NFL guys saying USC will still pursue Chip, but after the year. Not sure how that would work since they would have no fallback

I can't decide if I should be happy we are 8-4 or pissed we aren't 11-1 and about to have a rematch with Bama for a playoff spot.

Oklahoma is getting a lot of mileage off that fluke win at Tennessee. Glad you guys had a good year after a rocky start!

e: Virginia fired Mike London

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Not only that, but looking at the top four, we slaughtered a similar Iowa team less than a year ago (albeit it was a throwaway bowl game), completely dominated Oklahoma for three quarters only to lose a 14 point lead via unnecessary DPI calls, and went punch to punch with Alabama @ Tuscaloosa.

After watching Clemson play South Carolina, is there any doubt that we could hold our own against the top 4 if we played today? I guess that's something to be optimistic about.

Still grumpy about Miles staying our fans are the worst. They want his head when we're losing but then make sure to pressure brass to make him stay.

I hope he gets an extension and an increased buyout. Make sure he can never leave just so the fans live with their dumb decision and mediocrity in the SEC West.

Still grumpy about Miles staying our fans are the worst. They want his head when we're losing but then make sure to pressure brass to make him stay.

I hope he gets an extension and an increased buyout. Make sure he can never leave just so the fans live with their dumb decision and mediocrity in the SEC West.

Who was going to be walking through that door to replace him? As long as Saban is in your division, you have no shot anyway.

Jimbo probably said go pound sand - because that's about the only candidate currently in CFB that would be remotely worthy. Unless you were hoping for Kelly to become available out of Philly.

So you wanted to replace a guy who has

1)won you a national championship and taken you to another

2) has lost only 32 games at LSU.

3) currently has the number 2 recruiting class in the country

With who exactly?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
But guys seriously I mean, what are South Carolina's chances of making the CFBP next year? 2:1ish?

I blame the fans for yesterday's loss to Maryland.

Them booing Laviano is what caused the players to lose hope & lead to the game winning touchdown run.

Looking forward to next season with Flood & Hermann.

Draxal

I guess all the coaching moves start now. Hopefully coordinators at schools in CCGs wait to interview, at least. NFL guys saying USC will still pursue Chip, but after the year. Not sure how that would work since they would have no fallback

Oklahoma is getting a lot of mileage off that fluke win at Tennessee. Glad you guys had a good year after a rocky start!

e: Virginia fired Mike London

They'd be stupid to wait, they have to get the jump on securing this year's class.

I blame the fans for yesterday's loss to Maryland.

Them booing Laviano is what caused the players to lose hope & lead to the game winning touchdown run.

Looking forward to next season with Flood & Hermann.

They're both gone according to a poster let's call him ... "erm" to protect his identity.

Velcro Fly

Man I'd just want to throw up if UNC makes the CFP going 1-0 in meaningful games they've played all year. They pretty much played the dregs of the ACC minus maybe Duke. Their OOC is a joke even losing to South Carolina. You can basically schedule no one and make it as long as you beat the bad teams in your conference and beat the one good team you play? So why did they keep Baylor out last year then? Dumb dumb dumb. Keep them out.

Man I'd just want to throw up if UNC makes the CFP going 1-0 in meaningful games they've played all year. They pretty much played the dregs of the ACC minus maybe Duke. Their OOC is a joke even losing to South Carolina. You can basically schedule no one and make it as long as you beat the bad teams in your conference and beat the one good team you play? So why did they keep Baylor out last year then? Dumb dumb dumb. Keep them out.

Yeah can't think of any legitimate reason to include them if they beat Clemson. Just none at all. Sure they have just one loss at the beginning of the season, but their schedule is absolute trash. Their OOC sucked. Their division sucked. 2 FCS teams. Didn't even play FSU.... or even UL. Just suck all around. If they beat Clemson, bump them up to 5 and tell them to try again next year and don't schedule 2 FCS teams to start. Zero preferably.

Velcro Fly

Stanford deserves it more

Look at that schedule! 9 conference games, and 10 win Northwestern on the road and 10 win Notre Dame at home. If they only had one loss they'd easily be #2 in my book.

squicken

Welcome to my hell UGA

Sealed his fate when he hired Schottenheimer

I have always felt Georgia is one of the "sleeping giant" programs that some coach can come in and win titles at. Blue blood school, money, good recruits close by. Helps they are in the SECE of course

Draxal

Sealed his fate when he hired Schottenheimer

I have always felt Georgia is one of the "sleeping giant" programs that some coach can come in and win titles at. Blue blood school, money, good recruits close by. Helps they are in the SECE of course

SECE is so weird, there's three schools there that should be absolute monsters and all are underperfomring (Tenn, Florida, Uga).

Lunar15

Wow, Les in, Richt out. A day ago, I would have told you the exact opposite was going to happen.

SECE is so weird, there's three schools there that should be absolute monsters and all are underperfomring (Tenn, Florida, Uga).

You're not wrong. It's a conference division that has heaps and heaps of talent but always underperforms in execution.

Never thought I'd see the day where I missed Jeff Driskel.

Muschamp is gone, we have a 10-2 regular season with an SEC Championship slot, and a chance for a nice bowl. Our offense sucks and we lost a completely miserable game to FSU, but I'm not necessarily crying over here. We'll likely retain Nussmeier and Collins (hopefully), which means we can focus on getting good recruits. I think the wind's blowing in our favor right now, and if we can just get some kind of good QB situation for next year along with some offensive line, our young receiving and rushing corps should do really well. The question mark will be how much our defense will begin to fall off as muschamp's recruits start leaving, but I think Collins is pretty smart and can fill in the gaps.

andycapps

Welp, didn't think this day would come. Thanks to Coach Richt for taking the program to places it hadn't been in 20 years. Now that they've made the decision, they need to make a home run hire. You can't fire a coach with a shot at 10 wins and go out and get a mid-major coach.

Let's see what you got, McGarity. I bet Jeff Schultz and Mark Bradley at the AJC are high fiving themselves right now.

What's worse, ACC Coastal or SEC East?

anyway, relevant championship games:

B1G: Iowa vs Michigan State (basically a quarterfinal)
Pac-12: Stanford vs USC, I wonder if Stanford has an outside shot at the playoff still?
SEC: Alabama vs Florida
ACC: Clemson vs UNC
AAC (for the G5 spot): Houston vs Temple

squicken

Point has been made by several people, but it is probably a worse offense to never win a SEC title at Georgia in 10 years than it is to fire a coach who averaged 10 wins a game over that time

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Still coaching the bowl game.

Georgia Bulldogs ?@UGAAthletics 4m4 minutes ago

Mark Richt to step down as head coach of the Georgia football team. He will coach the team in the upcoming bowl game.

andycapps

Andy... It happened.
I'm honestly still in shock. Not sure how to feel about this. I feel like the only way you do this is if you've already talked to a coach that you consider a home run hire and you have a verbal agreement from them to come.

I do also like to think Richt was given the option of retiring and he said "you'll have to fire me because I'm not giving up."

I like the idea of us not being okay with 10 wins but not much else to show but that, but the odds of getting worse than that with a replacement are greater than improving on that.

andycapps

Kifkins getting ready to locate a bit further north
Haha I don't even know how I'd handle it if UGA were to get him. It'd be some mental gymnastics to make myself okay with it. Probably how the tOSU fans here made themselves okay with Urban.

This statement makes it sound like they tried to make it more like resigning.

"Coach Richt and I met Sunday morning to discuss the status of our
football program," UGA athletics director Greg McGarity said in a school press release, "and we mutually agreed that he would step down as head coach and would have the opportunity to accept other duties and responsibilities at UGA following the bowl game."

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If Richt couldn't win the east this year...

I think once he gets a new situation, a new school, he will be refreshed and able to perform. But he didn't beat a single good team this year.

Now the question is Eason. He can claim that his loyalty was to the school and not the coach, but that is borderline irrational so I don't believe that.

FyreWulff

Nebraska fired their coach one year too early. Much respect for Georgia's program, if we had to fire a 9-3 coach, Richt would be a good pick up.

It was also weird as hell that Nebraska and Georgia managed to play each other twice in back to back bowls.

andycapps

The time is now for Athens to buy out Paul Johnson's contract.
Why would they do that? He's a great fit for UGA at GT.

I'm curious what happens with Eason as well. They need to move quickly on a hire and it needs to be one that will utilize his talents.

Good list from Dean Legge of Dawg Post of potential candidates.

DEAN LEGGE
12:30 PM

ATHENS - Dawg Post's hot list of coaches who could be the next in line at Georgia.

Kirby Smart
Alabama Defensive Coordinator
Salary: $1.5 million
Contract Terms: Ends after 2018 season according to AL.com ; Last contract called for a “$72,000 buyout payable 14 days of departure” according to The Times-Picayune. Smart is viewed as one of the top candidates to replace Steve Spurrier at South Carolina.

Tom Herman
Houston Head Coach
Salary: $1.45 million
Contract Terms: Ends after 2019 season according to the Houston Business Journal. According to that outlet, Herman “would have to pay $2.25 million to take another job before February 18, 2018. The buyout amount is reduced significantly the following two years.”
According to Sports Illustrated, Houston’s Board of Trustees has approved raising Herman’s salary from $1.45 million to $3 million per year. Sources are saying that Houston is trying to convince Herman that the Cougars are a prime candidate to be included in the Big 12’s expansion, should the conference decided to do so. Herman’s camp recently knocked down talk of him being the next coach at South Carolina.

Mike Bobo
Colorado State Head Coach
Salary: $1.35 million
Contract Terms: Ends at the end of the 2019 season. According to the Coloradoan, Bobo makes a base salary of $1.35 million, but has a slew of possible bonuses, including a $50,000 bonus he will get this winter for guiding the Rams to a bowl game. Bobo’s contract includes a provision that allows for restructuring the contract and bonuses if Colorado were to enter a Power 5 conference (rumors of Colorado State entering the Big 12 have been persistent because of the Denver TV market).According to the Coloradoan: “Should CSU become a member of a Power 5 conference, Bobo’s base salary and bonus structure will be renegotiated based on the new league’s market conditions.” That outlet also reports that Bobo’s buyout is “set for $5 million until 2016, cuts in half in 2017, falls to $1 million in 2018, and has no buyout if he’s hired away from CSU at any point during 2019, even if his departure is January 1.”

Dan Mullen
Mississippi State State Head Coach
Salary: $4 million
Contract Terms: Current contract, which was extended last year, goes through the end of the 2018 season according to the Jackson Clarion-Ledger.

David Shaw
Stanford Head Coach
Salary: $2.2 million
Contract Terms: Stanford is not required to release contracts of coaches because it is a private institution. USA Today reports that Shaw’s 2015 salary is $2,224,435, and that the fifth-year head coach “has received a loan from the university that had a $700,000 balance due as of Aug. 31, 2014, according to the university's most recent federal tax returns.” Although Shaw signed a “long-term contract extension” after the 2012 season, it is unknown how long that extension is for, and what (if any) buyout is included in it.

Jimbo Fisher
Florida State Head Coach
Salary: $5.2 million
Contract Terms: The terms of Fisher’s most-recent contract run through the 2022 season, according to the Tallahassee Democrat. According to that outlet, Fisher’s buyout is “a $5 million buyout before Dec. 31, 2016, a $3 million buyout on that date in 2018, and only a $1 million buyout the day after on Jan. 1, 2019.”

Gary Patterson
TCU Head Coach
Salary: $3.9 million
Contract Terms: TCU is a private school and doesn’t have to release contract details, but the Star-Telegram reports that TCU AD Chris Del Conte “said the extension carries Patterson through the end of the decade and that ‘he is well taken care of.’” USA Today reports that Patterson made $3.9 million for the 2015 season.

Sean Payton
New Orleans Saints Head Coach
Salary: $8 million
Contract Terms: Ends in 2017.

Top Bottom