• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 13 - Sparty ain't worried 'bout no clock

Draxal

Things go full circle don't they? From Fire Mike Bobo to hire Mike Bobo. Honestly, if we don't get one of the A-List guys, he's my next choice. We'd have a great offense and if he retained Pruitt we'd have a great defense.

Kirby or not to Kirby is the question imho.

andycapps

Kirby or not to Kirby is the question imho.
Mixed feelings on Kirby. Nobody knows how much he's actually been doing calling defensive plays. He's a hell of a recruiter, so that part is good.

He never talks to the media, that's a daily thing for Richt. He's never been a head coach in any capacity.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
If Kirby doesn't get a HC job this year then either (1) he's been promised the Bama job when Saban leaves or (2) he just doesn't want one.

Edit: andy, have you watched one of our games? Kirby calls all the plays and makes all of the adjustments.

Kusagari

So will Richt instantly become the favorite for the Canes job?

He's a former Cane, which seems to be the only thing the fanbase wants for a coach.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Things go full circle don't they? From Fire Mike Bobo to hire Mike Bobo. Honestly, if we don't get one of the A-List guys, he's my next choice. We'd have a great offense and if he retained Pruitt we'd have a great defense.

I thought Pruitt left FSU specifically to work with Richt?

He gone.

Richt and Pruitt going to Miami is like a worst case scenario, but I doubt they will pay Pruitt. So maybe that means Pruitt would stay at UGA. Hell he might even get a HC job with the amount of openings.

andycapps

If Kirby doesn't get a HC job this year then either (1) he's been promised the Bama job when Saban leaves or (2) he just doesn't want one.

Edit: andy, have you watched one of our games? Kirby calls all the plays and makes all of the adjustments.

I have. You have a good point. Still, with Pruitt already at UGA, he's no longer necessary. Would need a good offensive coordinator to be brought in.

The plus side to all this is that it's obvious Schottenheimer won't be retained.

So will Richt instantly become the favorite for the Canes job?

He's a former Cane, which seems to be the only thing the fanbase wants for a coach.
Doubt it. Sounds like the school is spinning this into him moving into more of an administrative level and working full-time on his Paul Oliver network, taking care of former players.

Yaboosh, Pruitt and Bobo are really good friends, so there's that if they hire Bobo.

jjasper

Doubt it. Sounds like the school is spinning this into him moving into more of an administrative level and working full-time on his Paul Oliver network, taking care of former players.
If that is the case and they are able to swing this into an amicable relief of duty they might actually be able to hire someone worth a damn.

mre

Twii8jF.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If Richt couldn't win the east this year...

I think once he gets a new situation, a new school, he will be refreshed and able to perform. But he didn't beat a single good team this year.

Now the question is Eason. He can claim that his loyalty was to the school and not the coach, but that is borderline irrational so I don't believe that.

He lacked a QB which he was getting next year. No QB even in a down year means he was fucked.

As a GT fan I'm mixed on this. I mean he owned us so I can't see it being much worse. That being said I feel like UGA should be better with their built in fan base, money, and in state talent.

I hope they can get Ray Goofy Part II, but I doubt that happens.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As Andy said the #1 thing people should be focusing on is WTF does this mean for Eason, and if he flips where does he flip to.

andycapps

Pruitt had no clue this was coming

Georgia’s controversial defensive coordinator was in Elbert County with five-star recruit Mecole Hardman when the news broke that Bulldogs’ head coach Mark Richt had been fired.

“I’m here in Elbert County. I was in church with Mecole,” Pruitt said around 1 p.m. Sunday. “I’m just recruiting. Not sure what to tell you.”

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If Eason wants a pro style offense and a nearly guaranteed first round draft pick, I know just the place and coach for him...

Point has been made by several people, but it is probably a worse offense to never win a SEC title at Georgia in 10 years than it is to fire a coach who averaged 10 wins a game over that time

If Richt couldn't win the east this year...

I think once he gets a new situation, a new school, he will be refreshed and able to perform. But he didn't beat a single good team this year.

Now the question is Eason. He can claim that his loyalty was to the school and not the coach, but that is borderline irrational so I don't believe that.

Exactly.. there was zero reason for Georgia to not win the East this year... None. He, unlike Les, absolutely deserved to be fired. I believe that he will be successful at another school. He just ran out of steam and started to decline.

I'm honestly still in shock. Not sure how to feel about this. I feel like the only way you do this is if you've already talked to a coach that you consider a home run hire and you have a verbal agreement from them to come.

I do also like to think Richt was given the option of retiring and he said "you'll have to fire me because I'm not giving up."

I like the idea of us not being okay with 10 wins but not much else to show but that, but the odds of getting worse than that with a replacement are greater than improving on that.

I think it will be fine and Georgia will be one of the top jobs for coaches this offseason.

The time is now for Athens to buy out Paul Johnson's contract.

That's interesting.

This is the end of the "Mark Richt has lost control" meme, RIP

Time to make it Urban Meyer..

Man I wish Purdue would fire Hazell

Not happening right now.

.@unclelukereal1: Former hurricane Player told me Lane Kiffin wants the U job.

Jesus, this would be a terrible idea.

Three B1G Teams in the Top 10.

SEC! SEC! SEC!

BIG bias is overrun.

3 plus an honorary member in the top 10 for the ACC, including number 1. Suck it Big Ten!

Celebrating an "honorary" member is like kissing your cousin... It doesn't mean anything..

andycapps

But Florida and Alabama did ok without qbs?

Break out the treon and Coker defense force

Exactly.. there was zero reason for Georgia to not win the East this year... None. He, unlike Les, absolutely deserved to be fired. I believe that he will be successful at another school. He just ran out of steam and started to decline.

I think it will be fine and Georgia will be one of the top jobs for coaches this offseason
True on the first paragraph. There have been other problems with lack of spending by the administration to keep up with recruiting spending in the SEC and to increase assistant coaching salaries. They finally loosened the purse strings in the last offseason, so things had started to improve there. So I don't think everything has been Richt's fault, but he could have pushed harder previously, so it is what it is.

I agree, I think it's one of the top two jobs, with USC being number one.

No clue who this person is but I find this interesting. I wonder if Dan Mullen might be the guy since he and McGarity are buddies.

@GarrettShearman: Just heard this from the daughter of a very important UGA booster: "We were in there fighting for Richt all morning; McGarity overruled."

mre

Break out the treon and Coker defense force
I don't think these are things.
No clue who this person is but I find this interesting. I wonder if Dan Mullen might be the guy since he and McGarity are buddies.

@GarrettShearman: Just heard this from the daughter of a very important UGA booster: "We were in there fighting for Richt all morning; McGarity overruled."
That certainly doesn't sound like a resignation... nor do the comments from Pruitt.

andycapps

Yeah, I don't think he resigned. He said yesterday after the game he's in it for the long haul and was going to be recruiting.

Word is that Kirby Smart is the #1 guy for UGA. So he either takes the job or he's got that Head Coach in Waiting at Bama title that mre mentioned.

247Sports reporting that Herman is a top candidate for UGA job.

True on the first paragraph. There have been other problems with lack of spending by the administration to keep up with recruiting spending in the SEC and to increase assistant coaching salaries. They finally loosened the purse strings in the last offseason, so things had started to improve there. So I don't think everything has been Richt's fault, but he could have pushed harder previously, so it is what it is.

I agree, I think it's one of the top two jobs, with USC being number one.

I agree that he isn't completely at fault. But he does deserve the lion's share of the blame.

USC is number one
Georgia is second as long as Texas stays true to Charlie.

I dunno, Georgia seems a little bigger than South Carolina.

Damn you Cyan.. Damn you.
Wow...Mark Richt is now gone....well looks like a lot fellow Georgia fans got their wish....

Still not sure how to feel about this.

Brave New World..

andycapps

I dunno, Georgia seems a little bigger than South Carolina.
Oh you

Per Dan Wolken, the search started this last week.

Though Georgia rallied to win four in a row — none impressively and all against weak competition — the decision had been made. According to one person with knowledge of the situation, Georgia quietly made moves to start a coaching search over the last week. And McGarity, according to another person with knowledge of the situation, was not part of the locker room celebration after the Auburn win, which was noted by the coaching staff.

The next day, when Richt flew across the country for a very public meeting with the Bulldogs’ future starting quarterback, it signaled he knew sentiment of Georgia’s most prominent supporters had turned against him.

Auteezy

Banned
So Georgia did what LSU couldn't, provided USC with its next head coach.

I actually hope SC gives Helton a chance. The players love him, and after seeing how bad the Coach O firing went over I don't know if Pat Haden can risk doing it again. But if Haden misses out on a big time coach and Helton doesn't work out he looks like a fool once again. It's probably time for Haden to go anyways and that also gives USC the chance to bring in a whole new regime.

Alcibiades

Any chance Richt considers the South Carolina job and sorta do a Spurrier-type thing where the expectations aren't as high. Plus he'd get a shot to ruin Georgia's season year-in, year-out.

Top Bottom