• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 14 - Last Chance (For Chaos)

Any chance because of the botch flag Clemson goes to #2?

No. At that point, they were still up 8 and Carolina would have been at midfield with something like 1:19 left. They had been moving the ball, but a score is not guaranteed and then there's the 2 point conversion needed. Odds were still high that Clemson would win.

Edit: I mean, the committee could still make the call for Alabama, they can do just about anything, but I doubt the botched call would be the deciding factor.

No. At that point, they were still up 8 and Carolina would have been at midfield with something like 1:19 left. They had been moving the ball, but a score is not guaranteed and then there's the 2 point conversion needed. Odds were still high that Clemson would win.
I don't trust the committee.. That's why I say it.

Incredibly gutsy last drive by MSU, and an amazing finish by Scott. By December 31st you gotta think Cook will be healthy, and they'll get a couple other guys back on defense. I definitely think they'll win their first matchup.

Don't see how Bama beating a bad Florida team would justify them leaping over a Clemson team that just beat a top ten team. Granted I don't think Clemson is great but still, they didn't do anything to lose their #1 spot.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt Clemson will move from #1. Nothing happened today that would justify it.

I have no idea how 2-4 will get ranked though.

Incredibly gutsy last drive by MSU, and an amazing finish by Scott. By December 31st you gotta think Cook will be healthy, and they'll get a couple other guys back on defense. I definitely think they'll win their first matchup.

Don't see how Bama beating a bad Florida team would justify them leaping over a Clemson team that just beat a top ten team. Granted I don't think Clemson is great but still, they didn't do anything to lose their #1 spot.

It's not really fair to simply call Florida "bad." Their defense is ranked in the top 10 in the country almost every metric. Their offense and (to a slightly lesser extent) special teams are not good though.

I doubt Clemson will move from #1. Nothing happened today that would justify it.

I have no idea how 2-4 will get ranked though.

Had the insides call not gone down like that at the end, I'd say Clemson would have stayed #1. Now, I'm not so sure. I doubt it will change anything, but who knows how the committee takes that?

I see Alabama and Michigan State Cotton Bowl, Clemson and Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl, given that OU has no conference championship game they go down to #4.

Well, I was thinking of stuff the committee says they don't consider but enough people believe they do.

A north/south final would probably be preferable for television, and Alabama/Michigan State would be the better outcome, I think. So split those 2 up. It's still not guaranteed, because Clemson is a good football team, but I think a potential SEC/ACC matchup in the final is also a good fallback plan. Plus, Oklahoma and Clemson met last year in a bowl, Oklahoma and Alabama are naturally close to the Cotton Bowl, and Sparty gets rewarded with a trip to Miami and gets out of the cold.

So call me crazy, but the final rankings will either be Clemson / Bama / Oklahoma / Sparty or Bama / Clemson / Sparty / Oklahoma. Either way, same semifinals.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I was thinking of stuff the committee says they don't consider but enough people believe they do.

A north/south final would probably be preferable for television, and Alabama/Michigan State would be the better outcome, I think. So split those 2 up. Plus, Oklahoma and Clemson met last year in a bowl, Oklahoma and Alabama are naturally close to the Cotton Bowl, and Sparty gets rewarded with a trip to Miami and gets out of the cold.

I'd find it kind of funny it they went for a north/south championship with that split, because I'd fully expect it to end up being Clemson/OU.

A north/south final would probably be preferable for television, and Alabama/Michigan State would be the better outcome, I think. So split those 2 up. Plus, Oklahoma and Clemson met last year in a bowl, Oklahoma and Alabama are naturally close to the Cotton Bowl, and Sparty gets rewarded with a trip to Miami and gets out of the cold.

So call me crazy, but the final rankings will either be Clemson / Bama / Oklahoma / Sparty or Bama / Clemson / Sparty / Oklahoma. Either way, same semifinals.

well, we thought this would happen with Alabama/Florida State but it never did, so...

Draconian

We went to the gator bowl one year, and I guess CBS was televising it. Anyway, I couldn't believe how many commercial breaks we had to sit through. So much worse than Espn.

Didn't NBC do that game for a while? I know CBS has had the rights to the Sun Bowl for as long as I can remember (though I have no clue why).

It should, but it won't because the NCAA is garbage.

For football, refs are employed by the conference, not NCAA. It would be up to the conferences to give up that control and go to the basketball model where refs are regulated directly by the NCAA rather than individual conferences.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I think only Firehouse Subs and Del Taco have Mr Pibb in Albuquerque. Everyone else, whether they have Coke or Pepsi, has Dr Pepper. Shit is weird.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I guess I want Michigan State to win. Then Clemson. Then fuck Oklahoma for beating us in 2000 and fuck Alabama for being terrible at things.

I guess I want Michigan State to win. Then Clemson. Then fuck Oklahoma for beating us in 2000 and fuck Alabama for being terrible at things.

Well this is the 2nd year in a row I want none of the teams to win. Alabama has already had too many Nattys this decade, MSU winning would cause the B1G to go back to back in national championships which would further falsely inflate that conferences perception. Clemson winning would put an end to Clempsoning, and fuck OU.

Better luck for me next year I guess

Iowa fans.

(I know it's shooty hoops but still)

I was watching that last night and knew it would be made into a .gif
Just so much material there. The choppy neck beard, the boy chewing on his student ID, Lloyd Christmas. THEY WERE ALL STANDING NEXT TO EACHOTHER

ryseing

Well this is the 2nd year in a row I want none of the teams to win. Alabama has already had too many Nattys this decade, MSU winning would cause the B1G to go back to back in national championships which would further falsely inflate that conferences perception. Clemson winning would put an end to Clempsoning, and fuck OU.

Better luck for me next year I guess

I was watching that last night and knew it would be made into a .gif
Just so much material there. The choppy neck beard, the boy chewing on his student ID, Lloyd Christmas. THEY WERE ALL STANDING NEXT TO EACHOTHER

The raise the roof guy is the one that gets me. Just pure brilliance.

I dug up my predictions from the off-season thread and it was ugly

I also bolded the conference winners

-ACC
Coastal: Miami
Atlantic: Clemson

-B1G
East: tOSU
West: Wisconsin

-Big 12: TCU

-PAC 12
North: Stanford
South: USC

-SEC
East: Missouri
West: Alabama

Playoff Semi
1 Ohio State
2 Alabama
3 USC
4 TCU

Finals
1 TCU
2 Alabama

Champion: Alabama

At least I got the Pac-12 matchup correct, just not the winner.

Top Bottom