• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 14 - Last Chance (For Chaos)

Snag the part where the leaves are flying

zIjkFDL.jpg

love it

bachikarn

I don't think Roper's a bad hire. He only had one year after a carousel of OC's that left our recruiting in shambles.

I still contend that Muschamp's worst decision was hiring Weis for his first OC. He left immediately after the first season and was a bad recruiter.

Weis was a bad hire in retrospect because he left after a year. At the time, he was pretty committed to staying for multiple years but I don't think he got along with Muschamp. He was also a fine recruiter and would have gotten more guys if he had stayed.

He was also going to offer the Memphis QB who is now a top NFL prospect. Pease passed on him and offered Morningweig over him cos he his dad. Pease was the really bad hire. Bad OC and developer and shit recruiter.

I agree that Roper might still be a good OC, but still not on the level of Mac/Nuss. We saw huge improvements in WR play very quickly with those two.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
9.99 rumor that Saban is stepping down to become Kirby's DC and that Lane Kiffin will be the head coach during the playoff game.

There should be no complaints about the Buckeyes schedule next year:

Bowling Green (MAC champions)
Temple (AAC runner-up)
At Oklahoma (Big 12 champion, in the playoffs)
Bye week
Rutgers
Indiana
At Wisconsin
At Penn State
Northwestern
Nebraska
At Maryland
At Michigan State
Michigan

So 9 B1G games in a row with cross division opponents actually being the better teams in that division. Just no Iowa.

yeah but what if all 3 OOC opponents and the cross-division opponents turn out to be shit next year :p

So much for the rumors of Rutgers opening the wallet. 2mil for Ash and 2.85mil for the rest of the staff.

Good old Rutgers doing it on the cheap.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
9.99 rumor that Saban is stepping down to become Kirby's DC and that Lane Kiffin will be the head coach during the playoff game.

That doesn't even make sense. Saban is currently the head coach. Becoming the DC would be a step down. I don't think that is true.

??????

Oh and Michigan is going to spank us. At least we only have to watch one more game with Treon Harris at QB. There's no way Franks doesn't start next year.

Going to break character for a few comments:

The salary for Ash is fine. $2 million is probably more than I would pay for him.

The $2.85 million is low.

Hobbs is better than Hermann so far... but that's not saying much.

Not enthused about him coaching for the OSU bowl game. It won't kill him at Rutgers, but it's not a good start.

Concerned about him not being a stellar recruiter. However, it's not the be-all, end-all, if he's as good a coach as the OSU guys say he is. Still, it's different being a head coach rather than a successful coordinator.

BACK TO CHARACTER:

Hobbs is a genius. We're putting in the money the program needs to fund a solid staff. We don't need to spend gangbuster money on the staff, we live in the greatest area in the world. It's an attraction, in and of, itself.

Ash is dynamic. He'll recruit well for us, steal some OSU guys while coaching at the OSU bowl game. He's already a known defensive genius. Should easily translate to head coaching and picking a genius offensive coordinator.

Chris Ash said that we need to create positive energy around the program. That means that petey, Draxal, and Sarye need to get in line.

As far as I know, 2.85 million for assistants is pretty competitive. Sure it doesn't match the top end of the P5 conferences, but I'd imagine it's mid range for the vast majority of P5 programs.

Draxal

Hobbs is pretty smooth, that's the biggest thing I got from hte press conference so far. Like Ash, but I like all new coach press conferences.

Lunar15

Weis was a bad hire in retrospect because he left after a year. At the time, he was pretty committed to staying for multiple years but I don't think he got along with Muschamp. He was also a fine recruiter and would have gotten more guys if he had stayed.

He was also going to offer the Memphis QB who is now a top NFL prospect. Pease passed on him and offered Morningweig over him cos he his dad. Pease was the really bad hire. Bad OC and developer and shit recruiter.

I agree that Roper might still be a good OC, but still not on the level of Mac/Nuss. We saw huge improvements in WR play very quickly with those two.

Either way, Muschamp's biggest problem was his inability to control his coordinators. Always seemed like there was fighting going on in the background.

Mac and Nuss did wonders with our receivers, but I still don't know how to judge either of them based on this year. They don't have the line nor the recruits for me to really call them out on anything. They have the biggest bar to clear next year, so I guess we'll find out.

For what it's worth, it Driskel seemed to do better once he was free of Muschamp/Roper, but it's a different conference. The other thing is discipline. I'll always respect McElwain for saying his #1 goal was reducing frivolous penalties and pulling that off for the most part. The team looked pretty disciplined in this area.

For the past 6 years, I've felt like we've been one offensive spark away from being a highly competitive team with a clear shot at the playoffs. We've had the defenses to pull that off. I felt a bit of that spark with Grier, but with him out that went straight out the window. I think we're going to be hard to beat next year.

cashman

Banned

He's probably just trying to clear out early so he can wait and see what happens next season with Charlie Strong at Texas.

andycapps

Defense is not even thought of in the PAC 12..

@InsideUSC: Source confirms Clay Helton asked Justin Wilcox who was supposed to cover McCaffrey on 67-yard pass and Wilcox said, ``I don't know.'' #USC

JCX

Just got off the phone w/ the MSU Ticket Office, they say I'm unlikely to receive any requested tickets for the Cotton Bowl based on my donor level.

I will remember this MSU Ticket Office.

I have no idea how to buy bowl tickets, especially since I am not a season ticket owner. I'll probably have to sell my hand to stubhub for a ticket, but I really want to go.

Draxal

I have no idea how to buy bowl tickets, especially since I am not a season ticket owner. I'll probably have to sell my hand to stubhub for a ticket, but I really want to go.

Honestly, most people stub hub anyway, the tickets provided to schools suck (but you are guaranteed to be in a section with other fans).

Looking at the hierarchy MSU's providing, Stubhub's probably your only chance. Hell, my 4 season tickets (and bottom-tier donations) only put me one level above the general public.

It's part of the reason I hope the playoff doesn't expand past 4, nobody benefits but the corporations.

Buying bowl tickets? Don't you people realize these games are televised?

It's still good but not the same!

Sarye

So much for the rumors of Rutgers opening the wallet. 2mil for Ash and 2.85mil for the rest of the staff.

2mil for Ash is fine. Just because you can pay someone more doesn't mean you do for the heck of it.

2.75 mil for staff (is what I saw reported) is in the upper half of the B1G. more than Wisconsin (2.4mil) more than Nebraska (2.7 mill) Lower only to Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan and Iowa... and you know what, we are not there yet.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

$2 million looks like plenty of room to add raises and extensions for a first year coach to me.

IIRC we were paying Kingsbury somewhere in the low $2 million range when we hired him as well, though after only about a year he got an extension and a salary kick up to around $3.5 million.

JCX

Looking at the hierarchy MSU's providing, Stubhub's probably your only chance. Hell, my 4 season tickets (and bottom-tier donations) only put me one level above the general public.

It's part of the reason I hope the playoff doesn't expand past 4, nobody benefits but the corporations.

I'll probably go that route then. If only my monthly student loan payments counted as donations.

Sarye

$2 million looks like plenty of room to add raises and extensions for a first year coach to me.

Yep there are a lot incentives actually for him. Although a lot of them are probably not really possible. B1G champ lol

-- $100,000 if Rutgers is a Big Ten Conference championship participant;

-- $50,000 if Rutgers is a Big Ten championship winner;

-- $50,000 if Rutgers ties for Big Ten division championship but isn't a championship-game participant;

-- $100,000 if Rutgers is a participant in a Big Ten-contracted bowl game;

-- $50,000 if he earns Big Ten Coach of the Year award (solo or shared;

-- $100,000 if he earns National Coach of the Year;

-- $500,000 if Rutgers with a College Football Playoff (CFP) championship game win;

-- $250,000 if Rutgers is a CFP championship game participant;

-- $175,000 if Rutgers is a CFP semifinal game participant;

-- $150,000 for a CFP non- semifinal bowl game.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...he_contract_terms_for_new_rutgers_footba.html

Tamanon

Banned
Yup, just about to post. Seeking $30 million in damages claiming he was fired over a disability. I'm assuming that disability being alcoholism.

Honestly, I think he has a pretty good case depending on how the contract is. I don't think any other job can really fire someone for being an alcoholic either.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
First article I've seen that confirms the $1 million per year offer to Cumbie to become Texas' OC.

Still not sure that the family thing wouldn't keep him in Fort Worth. He's already making a lot of money and I don't think he wants to move his family around much, so he could just stick it out at TCU for a year or two before moving on to a head coaching job somewhere instead of taking an additional move through Austin for a year or two in the middle.

We took OC Brian Harsin from Boise State for a couple of years, and now he's back at Boise State as HC. We'll take Cumbie as OC for 2 years, and in a couple years he'll be offered to succeed Gary Patterson. That's how we should sell it to him at least. Sell him on the dream of one day being the head coach at TCU

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Let's try and say something nice about Notre Dame.

I, for one, appreciated Notre Dame's efforts in 2012. It was nice actually having most of the people watching the game pulling for us.

There. Now somebody else go.

Top Bottom