• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 14 - Last Chance (For Chaos)

andycapps

Not surprising.

Meanwhile, in Chapel Hill...

And Miami..

Draxal said:
Nah, I'll say this I think Wilson is a legit coach.

True, he's doing pretty well considering Indiana's historical success. They've been to 9 total bowl games in their history, so to go to a bowl game this year is a pretty big deal for them.

Except you are then rooting for the worst sports franchise in the world. Notre Dame could go 0 -12 every season for the next ten years and they still get ranked in the preseason top 20. Most overrated team in all of sports.
I wish I could live in fantasy-land with you. It's hard here in the real world where what you've described hasn't ever happened.

andycapps

So is Schiano, and I"d probably take Nutt over Muschamp, can't believe the cocks did that.

True, Schiano is the new Houston Nutt. I agree with you regarding USCe, not sure what they were thinking. The funny thing about the conference yesterday was that their president said he's expecting them to win the East next year and to be in the playoffs very soon.

Did he watch them play this year?

mre said:
How can you not give Nutt another chance? He is, after all, in the people heppin' bidness.

True, WVU needs some heppin'.

No surprise, but: Court rules NCAA disregarded the truth in Reggie Bush USC case

I guess that's what happens when you're so hard up with hate for a school that you base your entire case on a two-minute phone call with a convicted felon.

"This evidence clearly indicates that the ensuing [infractions committee] report was worded in disregard of the truth to enable the [committee] to arrive at a predetermined conclusion that USC employee McNair was aware of the NCAA violations," the judges wrote in their opinion. "To summarize, McNair established a probability that he could show actual malice by clear and convincing evidence based on the [committee's] doubts about McNair's knowledge, along with its reckless disregard for the truth about his knowledge, and by allowing itself to be influenced by nonmembers to reach a needed conclusion."

Bush surrendered his 2005 Heisman Trophy because of violations with a potential sports marketing agency. In its 2010 NCAA report penalizing USC, the NCAA said McNair “knew or should have known” that Bush had committed violations tied to Lloyd Lake, one of the potential sports marketers for Bush.

One major reason USC was hit hard by the NCAA infractions committee was an "unethical conduct" finding against McNair. The NCAA cited a two-minute phone call between McNair and Lake in January 2006.

That call "appears to be the sole basis for the NCAA's ethics-violation finding against McNair,"the judges wrote. "Yet, a jury could reasonably conclude that Lake's interview [with NCAA enforcement officials] did not support the statement that McNair knew about the NCAA violations. Lake appeared to be confused when questioned about his relationship with McNair."

But NCAA gonna NCAA I guess

FyreWulff

No surprise, but: Court rules NCAA disregarded the truth in Reggie Bush USC case

I guess that's what happens when you're so hard up with hate for a school that you base your entire case on a two-minute phone call with a convicted felon.

But NCAA gonna NCAA I guess

I could see USC having to give up games but man, the order where they can't even acknowledge Reggie Bush was complete overkill.

And then another school facilitates a child rapist and gets off lighter... :/

I could see USC having to give up games but man, the order where they can't even acknowledge Reggie Bush was complete overkill.

And then another school facilitates a child rapist and gets off lighter... :/

What's especially funny is Reggie was at the Pac-12 Championship game because he was named to the "All-Century" Pac-12 team.

USC fans were chanting, "Reggie! Reggie! Reggie!" constantly.

VRMN

An interesting article actually digging into the Cook/Griffin debacle a bit more than blanket denouncements.

You know what? Honestly this makes me feel differently about the whole thing, between his apology to Griffin, Griffin accepting it, and the completely believable fact that he didn't feel he deserved it and hadn't thought of what he was going to say. His "this is for the O-Line" wasn't an empty platitude and he really gave them the trophy. That's pretty cool.

Also, apparently the voting for MVP for that game was due with 8 minutes left in the game...so that's probably why Scott didn't win. I would have still given it to Calhoun, given that fact, though.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like our RB coach and associate head coach Mike Jinks got named the head coach of Bowling Green today.

This one hurts a bit, though we knew it would happen sooner or later. He was of the Art Briles/Chad Morris mold, a guy that already basically had one full career as a Texas high school football head coach that was looking to move on up, so his time as any kind of college assistant was clearly limited from the get-go. Hope it doesn't hurt our recruiting too much. Big time name particularly in the San Antonio area. Two guys on our roster that were from the high school he coached at, and three current commits from there (including our 2017 QB).

His replacement is likely already on campus; we took another high school coach last offseason, Emmett Jones from Dallas, as our "Director of Player Development" that has pretty obviously been a coach-in-waiting for whatever offensive spot happened to open up.

andycapps

Looks like our RB coach and associate head coach Mike Jinks got named the head coach of Bowling Green today.

This one hurts a bit, though we knew it would happen sooner or later. He was of the Art Briles/Chad Morris mold, a guy that already basically had one full career as a Texas high school football head coach that was looking to move on up, so his time as any kind of college assistant was clearly limited from the get-go. Hope it doesn't hurt our recruiting too much. Big time name particularly in the San Antonio area. Two guys on our roster that were from the high school he coached at, and three current commits from there (including our 2017 QB).

His replacement is likely already on campus; we took another high school coach last offseason, Emmett Jones from Dallas, as our "Director of Player Development" that has pretty obviously been a coach-in-waiting for whatever offensive spot happened to open up.

Seems like a good hire for BG, I can't remember the last head coach that was a running backs coach before. They seem to hire from OC's, DC's, or at least QB coaches.

ACC definitely has a lot more exciting hires. Time will tell on which hires were better, though I think the Muschamp hire is likely doomed from the start. It is interesting to see all the talk propping up Richt now that he's at a different program when he was being dogged so much before he was fired from UGA.

andycapps

Bud Elliott @ SB Nation has a good article on the expectations of Smart and Muschamp's first year.

He also brings up a good point, while UGA has been getting high ranked classes, they're still typically 3rd or 4th annually in the SEC. So while it's good, there's a huge dropoff from top ranked classes in the conferences to #4. That depth adds up, so there's still quite a bit of work to do for Smart to improve depth across the class. Richt has always been good at signing one or two 5 stars, maybe five 4 stars, and mostly 3 stars.

Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart steps into a great situation as Georgia's head coach as the Bulldogs have signed 51 four- and five-star prospects in the last four cycles (51 percent of total signees), which is the best in the division. Florida and Tennessee are the next closest in the East, then there is a big dropoff to Will Muschamp's South Carolina Gamecocks and Barry Odom's Missouri Tigers.
Blue-chip recruits (4/5-stars) over last 4 classes
Team # % of total signees
Alabama 78 77%
LSU 62 61%
Auburn 54 56%
Texas A&M 55 54%
Georgia 51 51%
Florida 44 46%
Tennessee 44 42%
South Carolina 33 34%
Ole Miss 27 29%
Arkansas 20 21%
Mississippi State 20 20%
Missouri 12 13%
Kentucky 12 12%
Vanderbilt 10 11%

This should continue. UGA is in contention to sign the No. 1 class in 2016.

South Carolina, meanwhile, has just two four-star prospects in its class (one being Pennsylvania QB Brandon McIlwain, who could easily opt for pro baseball even if the Gamecocks do keep him away from Penn State). As of this writing, the Gamecocks do not hold a commitment from any of the top 25 players in the Palmetto State. Muschamp has a ton of work to do as the Bulldogs, Gators and Volunteers all seem to be on the upswing.

The Bulldogs have lost 29 games over the last seven years, so there is clearly room for improvement on the field. Smart should be expected to immediately contend for the SEC Championship. Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Auburn and Georgia Tech come to Athens in 2016, plus UGA has Florida in Jacksonville, a "neutral-site" contest against UNC in Atlanta and two cupcakes.

Then there's the most important part: arguably the easiest SEC road slate possible with trips to Kentucky, Mizzou, South Carolina and an Ole Miss that projects to lose the vast majority of its best players. If Smart can get Georgia to play to its talent, it should win at least a game more per season than it had under Mark Richt.

Muschamp, however, plays five games annually against teams that recruit better than the Gamecocks by a significant margin. It would be a surprise if South Carolina loses fewer than 20 games during Muschamp's five-year contract (the Gamecocks lost 21 in their last five seasons, but nine of them were this year), which would still only mean eight-win seasons. Luckily for Muschamp, South Carolina has no reason to have high expectations as it is has no real history of success other than a few recent years.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like a good hire for BG, I can't remember the last head coach that was a running backs coach before. They seem to hire from OC's, DC's, or at least QB coaches.
I think it's good too, as he's a great coach. Don't think BGSU fans are too excited about him, though. Probably just don't know much about him yet, which is understandable, given that he's just over 40 but has only been a college coach for about 3 years. One comment I saw was something along the lines of "this guy was a candidate for the OC at UTSA, and now we've hired him as a head coach?"

Pretty far outside of the only recruiting grounds he's ever known, though. BGSU only has one player from Texas on their entire roster, and that's a transfer that washed out at Baylor. I'm sure he'll still try to hit Texas pretty hard but it's going to be interesting to see how it works out.

I can't believe fans are concerned about Chris Ash already.

Every move he makes is part of a complicated plan that you can't understand, because you're not a head coach. I don't understand why you guys post anything that's remotely critical of your coaches & school. They know better than us. We can only support their every decision.

andycapps

I can't believe fans are concerned about Chris Ash already.

Every move he makes is part of a complicated plan that you can't understand, because you're not a head coach. I don't understand why you guys post anything that's remotely critical of your coaches & school. They know better than us. We can only support their every decision.

Mz4pk6U.gif

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Coach McElwain got robbed for coach of the year. Wow.
You're going to complain about Ferentz getting it? You sound like a Buckeye fan! Go sit in the corner and think about your life choices.

Iowa and Florida were pretty much even last year, in terms of their on-the-field results. Iowa was 7-6, Florida was 7-5 (Idaho game was canceled, so really, UF would have been 8-5).

Sure, McElwain had a great season, but Ferentz and Iowa had an even better season.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Lol. I honestly can't tell if you're serious.

This year told us nothing about how McElwain will do.

Muschamp could easily have had an identical year. One player goes down and the entire offense goes to complete and utter shit.

mre

Muschamp could easily have had an identical year. One player gets busted for PEDs and the entire offense goes to complete and utter shit.

El_Chino

You're going to complain about Ferentz getting it? You sound like a Buckeye fan! Go sit in the corner and think about your life choices.

Iowa and Florida were pretty much even last year, in terms of their on-the-field results. Iowa was 7-6, Florida was 7-5 (Idaho game was canceled, so really, UF would have been 8-5).

Sure, McElwain had a great season, but Ferentz and Iowa had an even better season.
Ferentz would be the only other choice but honestly, their schedule was so much easier than ours. Considering many predicted Florida to barely have 6 or 7 wins and we're under dogs for much of the season, I say he did pretty damn good.

Muschamp could easily have had an identical year. One player goes down and the entire offense goes to complete and utter shit.
Cool, no one is talking about Muschamp though. We're talking about a guy and a program that everyone doubted going into the season. He's the first coach in the sec to go into the SEC championship his first year.

Urban Meyer's first year 9-3
Muschamp 7-6
McElwain 10-3 with the SEC East

Tamanon

Banned
Turns out that Ruffin McNeill may not have been "fired" so much as he was "offered an extension that low-balled his assistants and decided not to sign it."

Apparently his prior contract stipulated that in his NEXT one his assistant salary pool would be in the top half of the conference, but the new contract they offered him earlier in the year didn't comply. Ruffin didn't sign it, and as the season played out they rescinded the extension.

He was still fired, his contract ran until 2017 I believe. The extension would've added onto it.

That strength of schedule though

Anways it seems we could agree it shouldn't have been Dabo

You guys are crazy. Dabo had to replace his whole front 7 on defense, his whole o-line, and lost his top WR in the first quarter of the first game of the year. Then went on to beat 3 top 10 teams and be the only undefeated team in the country.

But I'm sure your coach navigating through one of the two worst divisions in college football and losing all but one of his ranked games did a better job.

Draxal

You guys are crazy. Dabo had to replace his whole front 7 on defense, his whole o-line, and lost his top WR in the first quarter of the first game of the year. Then went on to beat 3 top 10 teams and be the only undefeated team in the country.

But I'm sure your coach navigating through one of the two worst divisions in college football and losing all but one of his ranked games did a better job.

You lost Chad Morris as well right? Yeah, can't argue against Swinney winning it this year.

mre

I think having a Heisman finalist (possibly winning) quarterback automatically knocks you out of contention for coach of the year. I think Ferentz is a good pick this year.

Just how many coach of the year awards are there? Sure Ferentz got the Woody Hayes Coach of the Year, but he's only still a finalist for the Eddie Robinson, George Munger Coach of the Year Awards. Swinney picked up the Home Depot Coach of the Year.

Apparently, Wikipedia lists 12 COY awards, and one defunct one. Place yer bets on who the defunct one is named after!

And like I said when Dantonio lost the B1G COY, losing to Ferentz this year is not "getting robbed." Certainly not any more than Ferentz getting robbed of the Home Depot COY. Now, if any of them lost it to say... Coach Flood - as great as he is - then we could talk about getting robbed.

I think having a Heisman finalist (possibly winning) quarterback automatically knocks you out of contention for coach of the year. I think Ferentz is a good pick this year.

Even with Watson, the team was projected to win 9 games. There was a ton of turnover.

El_Chino

Lol it's clear we could make cases for everyone being coach of the year if you want to do that, here's McElwain's case.

First year head coach
Projected to be second to last in the east
No O-line what so ever.
Projected to be an underdog in every game
Didn't really have decent QB play until midseason
Starting QB suspended.
No solid running game
Only two solid receivers
No kicker
No 21. in recruiting compared to Clemson's No. 8

Top Bottom