• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 14 - Last Chance (For Chaos)

cashman

Banned
Having a former Tech QB lead the offense did work pretty well for Tech, TCU, and Oklahoma this year.

Briles is technically a Tech grad and coached under Leach for a little while as well, though obviously he had a 15 year high school head coaching career beforehand so he was pretty much set in his philosophy before he came back to Lubbock in 2000.

I thought Kliff was really dumb for making half of his coaching staff just his former teammates at Tech, but one of those guys turned out to be Cumbie. What do you think about the rest of his staff? I know one of them was a defensive coach that was let go this year.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I can understand how Muschamp could land a D1 gig, despite flaming out so hard out Florida. All he had to do was point at his defense to show how close UF was, and admit he made a huge mistake with his offensive hires.

But now he's going and hiring the same dame people. Or at least the same OC. It just boggles the mind.

andycapps

Roper was only with Florida that last year. The writing was on the wall, it wasn't his fault!

He was OC at Duke prior to that.
He's a senior offensive assistant with the Browns this year. Seems like he had enough of college, now he wants back in?

Glenn Schumann, Saban's mysterious right hand man, is now with UGA as an assistant coach in some capacity. His Twitter bio reflects such.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
He's a senior offensive assistant with the Browns this year. Seems like he had enough of college, now he wants back in?

If any team would drive you back to college, how could it NOT be the Browns.

Roper does well when he has talent available to run his offense, like Duke did in 2012 and 2013. When he doesn't, or if he doesn't have confidence in them yet, he gets real conservative. Lots of swing passes to the flats.
I don't think Cutcliffe and his disciples really understand how running games work in college. Unless he has a transcendent talent like Deuce, or a really good stable of backs like we had in 2013, he calls a bunch of dives off center in hopes that it will wear down the defense come 3rd/4th quarter. That shit doesn't fly in today's game.

I can understand how Muschamp could land a D1 gig, despite flaming out so hard out Florida. All he had to do was point at his defense to show how close UF was, and admit he made a huge mistake with his offensive hires.

But now he's going and hiring the same dame people. Or at least the same OC. It just boggles the mind.

He also had oodles of talent at Florida. The cupboard is very dry in Columbia.

andycapps

If any team would drive you back to college, how could it NOT be the Browns.

Roper does well when he has talent available to run his offense, like Duke did in 2012 and 2013. When he doesn't, or if he doesn't have confidence in them yet, he gets real conservative. Lots of swing passes to the flats.
I don't think Cutcliffe and his disciples really understand how running games work in college. Unless he has a transcendent talent like Deuce, or a really good stable of backs like we had in 2013, he calls a bunch of dives off center in hopes that it will wear down the defense come 3rd/4th quarter. That shit doesn't fly in today's game.

The only way those things work is if you have a dominating offensive line capable of sustaining drives and wearing down a defense. USCe doesn't have that, and there's not a lot of skill talent there. I know Pharoah Cooper is legit, but what else do they have?

The Browns could definitely make you question what decisions you made that took you to Cleveland, but still.. He doesn't have the best resume', certainly not with sub-par players.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Kliff was really dumb for making half of his coaching staff just his former teammates at Tech, but one of those guys turned out to be Cumbie. What do you think about the rest of his staff? I know one of them was a defensive coach that was let go this year.

THREE of them were defensive coaches that were let go this year, actually; Trey Haverty, Mike Smith, and Kevin Curtis. Only one left is Eric Morris, who is our "offensive coordinator," and who was the only one that didn't actually play with Kliff at Tech; he arrived after Kingsbury graduated, though they worked together as coaches at Houston.

As far as him hiring so many former teammates/Tech alums, his entire coaching career up to that point was 4 years at Houston (2 of which he wasn't actually a coach) and one year at A&M. I believe some of those Houston guys were at A&M and weren't leaving, so the coaching network on which he could draw potential assistants from was very limited. Even Dave Aranda, the DC that was his original #1 choice for the job (went to Wisconsin), was a grad assistant at Tech when Kingsbury was a player.

The results on the field are the results on the field, arguably the worst defense in the country, so it's hard to defend those guy's actual coaching production. They all seem to be fairly well thought of in coaching circles, though; Gary Patterson loves Haverty, Smith turned down several job offers (including NFL offers) every year he was at Tech, and Curtis is a great recruiter. I think the condition that Tuberville left our depth chart in and the revolving door at DC for nearly a decade is what ultimately did them in.

BUCKNUTICUS!

You should be concerned that his brother will decommit from Ohio State and go to Rutgers.

We all know that Chris Ash is the true reason why Urban won his championship at Ohio State.

Chris Ash is a genius.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
He also had oodles of talent at Florida. The cupboard is very dry in Columbia.

Which is sad, cause the state has some pretty good high school talent, just probably enough to power more than 1 P5 team at a single time. But hey, you probably aren't complaining ;P

andycapps

Hoping Joey watched the game on Sunday and decides to stay and play with his brother for one year.

I don't see any way that happens. If you grade out first round, much less top 5, you're gone. Really, it's dumb to come back. Take that money while you're not injured, finish your degree in the offseason. The guaranteed money isn't what it was, but it's still a far cry from the stipend they're getting in college.

Agent Muschamp has a conference at 11 on SECN and Kirby Smart has one at 12:30, assuming on SECN as well.

Just got off the phone w/ the MSU Ticket Office, they say I'm unlikely to receive any requested tickets for the Cotton Bowl based on my donor level.

I will remember this MSU Ticket Office.

Lonestar

Looks like $80 if you want to stand and fight your way to see the game. Maybe $200 each for actual seats. Above $300 for decent seats.

andycapps

Looks like $80 if you want to stand and fight your way to see the game. Maybe $200 each for actual seats. Above $300 for decent seats.

Yep, that's what I'm seeing as well.

Good luck, Bama fans travel well. Those tickets will be in high demand, though you're seeing what frustrates me so much. So many tickets are bought only to be resold on Stubhub and the like for many times the value. Someone someday has to do something to reduce that.

andycapps

Yeah, reading on it more, it looks like it was a newer MWC bowl that ESPN hasn't gotten the rights to for whatever reason.

ESPN owns 12 different bowls actually. Waiting Since Last Saturday interviewed the Independence Bowl chairman this week and he talked about the bowl selection process. I guess those 12 bowls were started by the conferences and then ESPN acquired them, in some way.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The only way those things work is if you have a dominating offensive line capable of sustaining drives and wearing down a defense. USCe doesn't have that, and there's not a lot of skill talent there. I know Pharoah Cooper is legit, but what else do they have?

The Browns could definitely make you question what decisions you made that took you to Cleveland, but still.. He doesn't have the best resume', certainly not with sub-par players.

Still, if he can get them to work at Duke, which were mostly 3 stars, he can get them at SCAR. Big schools can usually out talent everyone else, us football plebes have to recruit to scheme and hope those 2 and 3 star players can make it work. That should be easier to get at SCAR than Duke. They should be able to get a couple 4 stars as well.

Yep, that's what I'm seeing as well.

Good luck, Bama fans travel well. Those tickets will be in high demand, though you're seeing what frustrates me so much. So many tickets are bought only to be resold on Stubhub and the like for many times the value. Someone someday has to do something to reduce that.

Yeah, it seems like each school is allotted a paltry 13,000 tickets. I guess I should be happy the school did such a good job for the Rose Bowl two years ago.

I'll wait to see if the request is miraculously fulfilled tomorrow night before seeing how crazy I want to get with this.

andycapps

Boom actually mentioned that he's had discussions over expectations of his sideline demeanor with the AD. :jnc Mentions he's a passionate guy and he's going to continue to be. So I'm not sure if he's saying he's not changing, or if he's going to try to be passionate but not cross some unspoken line.

Not mentioned in the conference, but an article noted that Boom's contract starts at 3 mil/yr and increases $100k year after that for 5 years. Buyout starts around $7 mil and decreases every year. In case it comes up, if Saban retires and Bama were to try to get him back, Kirby's starts at almost $14 mil and decreases every year.

Which is sad, cause the state has some pretty good high school talent, just probably enough to power more than 1 P5 team at a single time. But hey, you probably aren't complaining ;P

We actually poach the shit out of NC, GA, and FL too. Funny story, though. One of the guys from 247 I think went to a bunch of high schools in both Carolinas and the coaches all basically said that Clemson has their pick of whoever they want in both states. Felt good to hear.

andycapps

We actually poach the shit out of NC, GA, and FL too. Funny story, though. One of the guys from 247 I think went to a bunch of high schools in both Carolinas and the coaches all basically said that Clemson has their pick of whoever they want in both states. Felt good to hear.

Clemson definitely gets some in GA, but not to the extent of what they get in the Carolinas. There's more recruits in GA every year than can be signed by UGA, and we don't really compete with the same recruits as GT. UGA's main competition is probably Auburn and Bama on the recruiting trail, but Clemson is usually one of those schools they're considering as well.

Obviously Watson was a huge get for Clemson, and a huge oversight by Richt to not recruit him until way too late.

Lonestar

I realize I left out the word "not." South Carolina probably does not have enough talent for 2 P5 teams is what I meant ;P

So, Muschamp is hiring Kurt Roper again for OC?

WIRb9CB.gif

Yes. It kind of drives me nuts.
eesh, I'm leaving words out everywhere. I meant SEC East. Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina.

Lunar15

I don't think Roper's a bad hire. He only had one year after a carousel of OC's that left our recruiting in shambles.

I still contend that Muschamp's worst decision was hiring Weis for his first OC. He left immediately after the first season and was a bad recruiter.

Ryuuroden

There should be no complaints about the Buckeyes schedule next year:

Bowling Green (MAC champions)
Temple (AAC runner-up)
At Oklahoma (Big 12 champion, in the playoffs)
Bye week
Rutgers
Indiana
At Wisconsin
At Penn State
Northwestern
Nebraska
At Maryland
At Michigan State
Michigan

So 9 B1G games in a row with cross division opponents actually being the better teams in that division. Just no Iowa.

There should be no complaints about the Buckeyes schedule next year:

Bowling Green (MAC champions)
Temple (AAC runner-up)
At Oklahoma (Big 12 champion, in the playoffs)
Bye week
Rutgers
Indiana
At Wisconsin
At Penn State
Northwestern
Nebraska
At Maryland
At Michigan State
Michigan

So 9 B1G games in a row with cross division opponents actually being the better teams in that division. Just no Iowa.

Yeah that's pretty respectable. Playing at Wisconsin may be tougher than playing a home game vs. Iowa anyway

andycapps

That's a bit unexpected to me. Smart when asked about retaining any staff members thinks it's important that he hires his own staff. Interesting press conference. Definitely said what fans wanted to hear. That he'll be heavily involved in every aspect of the team and that they'll be defined by defense. OL and DL size and depth need to be improved (Amen) and WR group needs to be improved (Amen).

Thinks defense will be defining characteristic of the team and that that is what has won the majority of conference championships over the years.

Definitely see the Saban influence in how he speaks to the media. While he's not rude, he's very direct and doesn't smile a lot. Far cry from Richt. Now he's off to see Eason and whoever else.

ryseing

That saddens me to hear. Wish Tobacco Road would get their shit together and keep more talent in state.

Top Bottom