• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 14 - Last Chance (For Chaos)

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Matt Hinton had a couple of tweets this weekend about how even if you throw out McCaffrey's kick off return yards he still accounted for more all purpose yards than anything else.
McCaffrey's yardage is ridiculous. Kind of surprising how few TDs he had with all that yardage, though.

Kusagari

I never realized how stacked those Clemson teams were during the Boyd days.

How the hell do you have Watkins, Hopkins, Bryant and Jaron Brown as your WR corps and go 10-4?

McCaffrey's yardage is ridiculous. Kind of surprising how few TDs he had with all that yardage, though.

A bit yeah. They also let this guy: http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/511941/remound-wright get a lot of the short yardage carries.

For comparison Reggie Bush had 19 total TDs the year he won the Heisman (16 rushing, 2 receiving 1 returning). McCaffrey has 15 total TDs this year (8 rushing, 4 receiving, 1 returning, 2 throwing).

In 2005 when Bush won the Heisman LenDale White had 24 rushing touch downs and 2 receiving TDs.

How the hell do you have Watkins, Hopkins, Bryant and Jaron Brown as your WR corps and go 10-4?

They also had Andre Ellington, and yet Tajh Boyd completed less than 60% of his passes.

They were 81st of 120 in scoring defense.

A bit yeah. They also let this guy: http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/511941/remound-wright get a lot of the short yardage carries.

For comparison Reggie Bush had 19 total TDs the year he won the Heisman (16 rushing, 2 receiving 1 returning). McCaffrey has 15 total TDs this year (8 rushing, 4 receiving, 1 returning, 2 throwing).

In 2005 when Bush won the Heisman LenDale White had 24 rushing touch downs and 2 receiving TDs.

Yup. When you have a big bruiser you go to them in short yardage situations.

Tajh Boyd and bad defense, though the defense did start to get better in 2013. Also, a really bad offensive line.

CONFIRMED:

JUST CONFIRMED, COACH Dana Holgorsen IS SAFE. HE IS SAFE AND CONFIRMED TO BE A COACH IN THE WESTERN PART OF VIRGINIA, NOW AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS CONFIRMED.

Just a ruse for us to have an entire year to negotiate bringing Nick AND Jimbo back home. hashtagCFBdelusions

DominoKid

Turns out that Ruffin McNeill may not have been "fired" so much as he was "offered an extension that low-balled his assistants and decided not to sign it."

Apparently his prior contract stipulated that in his NEXT one his assistant salary pool would be in the top half of the conference, but the new contract they offered him earlier in the year didn't comply. Ruffin didn't sign it, and as the season played out they rescinded the extension.

wow that's a dick move. ECU AD must've forgot who they are.

Lunar15

Who'd ever pick McElwain for coach of the year this year? I've enjoyed the season and I like him pretty well, but he's also getting by with a muschamp powered defense and the offense, while showing some improvement, was cut short halfway through and now it's impossible to tell.

It's so hard to figure out what he's going to bring to the table at this point. Ferentz beat the haters and had an undefeated regular season after being in the tank. Schedule aside that's good for a guy who the program's been loyal to and didn't cut after a few bad seasons.

Also, Pac-12 is officiating the NC? Good god, that's gonna be a shit show.

ryseing

Oh goodness what a drop off between Chizik and Canada. Chizik revitalized the Tarheels from their usual mediocrity, and Canada has playcalled NCSU to one of the most dismal in-conference records for a decent school in a very long time.

Oh trust me, I know. My frustrations with Canada are endless. His red zone playcalling cost us so many points against good teams.

I hope ECU hires him just so we don't have to pay his buyout when we fire him. Which, since it hasn't happened yet, I'm hoping happens after the bowl game.

He signed an extension after last season when Tennessee came calling but I'm not sure how keeping him can be justified after the shitshow that was our offense at times this season. I don't want him anywhere near McLendon's development. Four star QBs don't exactly flock to our program.

What, second best football program in NC?

Hey!

... painfully true unfortunately. We get a shot at them next year though to reclaim that title.

El_Chino

Who'd ever pick McElwain for coach of the year this year? I've enjoyed the season and I like him pretty well, but he's also getting by with a muschamp powered defense and the offense, while showing some improvement, was cut short halfway through and now it's impossible to tell.

It's so hard to figure out what he's going to bring to the table at this point. Ferentz beat the haters and had an undefeated regular season after being in the tank. Schedule aside that's good for a guy who the program's been loyal to and didn't cut after a few bad seasons.

Also, Pac-12 is officiating the NC? Good god, that's gonna be a shit show.

Lol it's clear we could make cases for everyone being coach of the year if you want to do that, here's McElwain's case.

First year head coach
Projected to be second to last in the east
No O-line what so ever.
Projected to be an underdog in every game
Didn't really have decent QB play until midseason
Starting QB suspended.
No solid running game
Only two solid receivers
No kicker
No 21. in recruiting compared to Clemson's No. 8

Also Ferentz didn't win.

cdyhybrid

$9.95 detectives have noticed that some of our commits (who were not being recruited by tMCU) have started following tMCU GA/Assistant WR coach Corey Dennis. He's also engaged to Urbz's daughter.

Sounds like he might be our replacement WR coach.

mre

PaYlrLB.png

Karl2177

Looks like Paul Rhoads will be Rutgers DC, really like that move if true.

I wonder if there's going to be a big focus on defense there. Rhoads was always pretty good at getting great linebackers to play for us over the years. Also wonder how many ISU -> Rutgers transfers there will be.

Draxal

I wonder if there's going to be a big focus on defense there. Rhoads was always pretty good at getting great linebackers to play for us over the years. Also wonder how many ISU -> Rutgers transfers there will be.

Our defensive numbers were so bad, but I really blame it on our head coach hamstringing our dc. I'm still not sure if this is going to happen, because I think there would be a bidding war for Rhoads.

Looks like Paul Rhoads will be Rutgers DC, really like that move if true.

He may be, he may not be.

No matter what Draxal, you have to appreciate that coach Chris Ash is amazing. He is just bringing it at a level that's unforeseen.

I'm hoping for Dan McCarney for defensive line coach, since I think Panagos is only here for the interim. That would truly be a defensive coaching staff for the ages.

Edit: Hearing rumors that Kyle Flood might be Texas' next OC.

Draxal

He may be, he may not be.

No matter what Draxal, you have to appreciate that coach Chris Ash is amazing. He is just bringing it at a level that's unforeseen.

I'm hoping for Dan McCarney for defensive line coach, since I think Panagos is only here for the interim. That would truly be a defensive coaching staff for the ages.

Edit: Hearing rumors that Kyle Flood might be Texas' next OC.

I know you're still in your alternate personality mode right now, but I'm so glad to be free of Flood that I don't care about anything else.

Karl2177

Didn't realize Chris Ash got his master's at Iowa State either. And y'all are looking at Rhoads or McCarney as DC. Might as well call Rutgers Iowa State East at this point.

mre

I don't know what any of this means. Who is that? What is the score from? An Auburn game?
A local microbrewery in Tuscaloosa does chalk murals. This was a recent mural on the wall there, and it shows Bert at Arkansas as Santa Claus delivering to Alabama the present of the SEC west by virtue of Arkansas' miraculous victory over Mississippi. Had Arkansas not converted that 4th and 25 play against Mississippi, Mississippi would have had the tie breaker over Alabama and would have played Florida in Atlanta for the SEC championship.

mre

Wow, I didn't realize we were that close to Ole Miss in the playoffs. That's crazy.
Mississippi, Cyan. Not Ole Miss. Mississippi. They want to be called Ole Miss. So we call them Mississippi now.

While we're talking about crazy plays that changed the season, if Michigan doesn't have that fail against Michigan State, Ohio State would've went to the Big Ten title game instead.

mre

While we're talking about crazy plays that changed the season, if Michigan doesn't have that fail against Michigan State, Ohio State would've went to the Big Ten title game instead.
We went over this one already, and Ohio State fans* stated (presumably with straight faces) that they do not regret laughing at Michigan's expense in this game, and that they'd rather Michigan have lost that game than the Buckeyes get a shot in the playoffs.

*bucknuticus

Eh, would have lost playoffs first round now we get to beat Notre Dame yaaaay

I personally cannot be mad we didnt make it, we had to win 2 games this year to make it, we didnt, bummer. Had it been some BS that we tied Sparty with no loses somehow and that would have put us in my feeling would be different.

Cant be upset when you have the chance to win on the field and you dont.

mre

Eh, would have lost playoffs first round now we get to beat Notre Dame yaaaay

I personally cannot be mad we didnt make it, we had to win 2 games this year to make it, we didnt, bummer. Had it been some BS that we tied Sparty with no loses somehow and that would have put us in my feeling would be different.

Cant be upset when you have the chance to win on the field and you dont.
magnets-how-do-they-work-o.gif

And, no, I won't be pulling for Notre Dame. Go Buckeyes!

Lunar15

Notre Dame/Ohio State is a game where I really can't decide who I want to lose more.

I'm sure that's how Michigan/Florida is for a lot of people, though.

Top Bottom