• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 14 - Last Chance (For Chaos)

andycapps

Lol it's clear we could make cases for everyone being coach of the year if you want to do that, here's McElwain's case.

First year head coach
Projected to be second to last in the east
No O-line what so ever.
Projected to be an underdog in every game
Didn't really have decent QB play until midseason
Starting QB suspended.
No solid running game
Only two solid receivers
No kicker
No 21. in recruiting compared to Clemson's No. 8

I hear what you're saying, and I think McElwain has done a great job in his first year.. But hang with me here, he won because of Muschamp's recruits on defense this year. Muschamp did awful at Florida, but he recruited great defensive guys and their DC kept them playing well. Their offense was a steaming turd all season, which owes a lot to Muschamp's failure to recruit well on offense.

What McElwain has done is really hard to quantify because of where the SEC East was this year and given what they did/didn't do on offense combined with how great their defense was.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Even with Watson, the team was projected to win 9 games. There was a ton of turnover.
Yes, but Heisman finalist. I'm just saying when people vote on this shit, things like Heisman finalist are weighed when determining who wins.

I don't think Saban has even been a finalist for one of these things since 2008 or 2009, because everyone says "oh, look how they recruit, they should win that many games." Having a Heisman finalist quarterback let's them say something similar about Swinney.

Edit: also, looks like Ellis Johnson to SCAR as DC.

andycapps

Yes, but Heisman finalist. I'm just saying when people vote on this shit, things like Heisman finalist are weighed when determining who wins.

I don't think Saban has even been a finalist for one of these things since 2008 or 2009, because everyone says "oh, look how they recruit, they should win that many games." Having a Heisman finalist quarterback let's them say something similar about Swinney.

Hey, what could go wrong there. This whole thing is going according to plan.

Draxal

Undefeated is undefeated though ... although Ferentz should have won imho if they beat Sparty.

andycapps

If urbz can't win coty while winning a title with a 3rd string qb then no one deserves it!

Why Urbz can't win it has a lot more to do with what mre was saying about Bama. Ohio State recruits at a level that people expect a certain level of success. COY has a lot to do with overachieving with the players that you have.

ryseing

Turns out that Ruffin McNeill may not have been "fired" so much as he was "offered an extension that low-balled his assistants and decided not to sign it."

Apparently his prior contract stipulated that in his NEXT one his assistant salary pool would be in the top half of the conference, but the new contract they offered him earlier in the year didn't comply. Ruffin didn't sign it, and as the season played out they rescinded the extension.

This whole situation continues to be laugh worthy.

What r u doing ECU.

Eason is apparently on an official visit to UW starting today.

I'm sure he's enjoying how much attention certain parts of the Internet are paying to a 17 year old kid.

Thanks for reminding me how screwed the ACC got with the TV deal.

FUCK RAYCOM

This whole situation continues to be laugh worthy.

What r u doing ECU.

I'm sure he's enjoying how much attention certain parts of the Internet are paying to a 17 year old kid.
What did ECU expect with all of their losses and injuries? I know they haven't exactly been back to their Skip Holtz level of success, but they haven't been bad and could have competed better if not for those injuries. And as small as a step up the AAC ended up being, they still had to contend with a more competitive conference from CUSA with all of that going on.

Plus they were so late to the party. Not unlike WVU if they decide to fire their coach.

ryseing

What did ECU expect with all of their losses and injuries? I know they haven't exactly been back to their Skip Holtz level of success, but they haven't been bad and could have competed better if not for those injuries. And as small as a step up the AAC ended up being, they still had to contend with a more competitive conference from CUSA with all of that going on.

Plus they were so late to the party. Not unlike WVU if they decide to fire their coach.

They even beat VT this year while breaking in a new QB.

Down year is to be expected when you lose your genius coordinator, QB, and top WR. No reason why they wouldn't bounce back next year. Just stupid.

Why Urbz can't win it has a lot more to do with what mre was saying about Bama. Ohio State recruits at a level that people expect a certain level of success. COY has a lot to do with overachieving with the players that you have.

JHxwCE5.gif

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If I'm a Texas fan I feel ok about this year.

Losing to Iowa state and big to TCU and Notre Dame sucks. But the other losses were close to decent opponents and you have big wins against Baylor and Oklahoma.

If the team is behind Strong I would still be 100% behind Strong for another year.

Good positivity Yaboosh.

I hope Stooge feels the same way as you. This year was a big step for the Longhorns. Really proud of them and Coach Strong's amazing efforts with them.

He should be a strong candidate for the Coach of the Year Awards next season.

I was kinda miffed at Cumbie staying at TCU but if Meacham really is gonna leave then I'm not at all.

Yeah that would make sense if the other guy is going to leave for Tulane. Then again, what if TCU hires another "co" coordinator?

Is this a recent thing, btw? Why have a co-coordinator? Seems confusing and needless. I've seen it at a few programs.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
If I'm a Texas fan I feel ok about this year.

Losing to Iowa state and big to TCU and Notre Dame sucks. But the other losses were close to decent opponents and you have big wins against Baylor and Oklahoma.

If the team is behind Strong I would still be 100% behind Strong for another year.
They're really not as far away as a lot of their fans seem to think they are IMO.

Yeah that would make sense if the other guy is going to leave for Tulane. Then again, what if TCU hires another "co" coordinator?

Is this a recent thing, btw? Why have a co-coordinator? Seems confusing and needless. I've seen it at a few programs.

I seem to see one of two general situations with co-coordinators -

1. one of them is very clearly the "junior," so they're almost like a sole coordinator in waiting. Cumbie (junior) and Meacham (senior) are a perfect example.
  2. The title is given as a promotion along with increased salary to keep a coach from leaving or to reward them for longevity. Having the better title also helps them along in their interviews for the next job they apply for. For example, in the mid 2000s, Sonny Dykes and Dana Holgorsen were named offensive co-coordinators at Texas Tech for a couple of years, even though it was really clear to everybody involved that Leach was the guy. Same situation right now with TCU having co-defensive coordinators even though Patterson is really the guy.

andycapps

Isn't it many times a way to make somebody happy and pay them more so that they don't leave? You say they're a co-coordinator but only one person can call the plays.

SCChappy

Banned
so apparently Meacham isnt even a candidate for Tulane and Cumbie would have taken the Texas job but they were only offering 2 years guaranteed when he wanted 3 guaranteed

what the hell

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
CONFIRMED:

JUST CONFIRMED, COACH Dana Holgorsen IS SAFE. HE IS SAFE AND CONFIRMED TO BE A COACH IN THE WESTERN PART OF VIRGINIA, NOW AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS CONFIRMED.

Draxal

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

2015 Football assistant salaries.

Just doing it for the Big Ten here 2 lazy for other conferences.

Michigan $4,248,667
Ohio State $4,021,950
Nebraska $3,450,000
Michigan State $3,195,154
Iowa $3,049,072
Minnesota $2,932,000
Maryland $2,783,060
Wisconsin $2,632,200
Rutgers $2,609,450
Indiana $2,317,478
Purdue $2,245,000
Illinois $2,011,208

PSU/NW not required to report.

Damn Wisconsin's kinda cheap, no wonder they lost coaches recently.

edit. GD at LSU $5,471,236.

hmm,

Army $2,220,450
Iowa State $2,177,635
Boise State $2,129,132
Houston $2,113,000
North Carolina $2,082,035 was wondering why Fedora was thinking of leaving.
Illinois $2,011,208

Illinois was the lower ranking P5 school. UCF was the highest non power 5 school (BYU/ND had no data).

Lonestar

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

2015 Football assistant salaries.

Just doing it for the Big Ten here 2 lazy for other conferences.

Michigan $4,248,667
Ohio State $4,021,950
Nebraska $3,450,000
Michigan State $3,195,154
Iowa $3,049,072
Minnesota $2,932,000
Maryland $2,783,060
Wisconsin $2,632,200
Rutgers $2,609,450
Indiana $2,317,478
Purdue $2,245,000
Illinois $2,011,208

PSU/NW not required to report.

Damn Wisconsin's kinda cheap, no wonder they lost coaches recently.

edit. GD at LSU $5,471,236.

hmm,

Army $2,220,450
Iowa State $2,177,635
Boise State $2,129,132
Houston $2,113,000
North Carolina $2,082,035 was wondering why Fedora was thinking of leaving.
Illinois $2,011,208

Illinois was the lower ranking P5 school. UCF was the highest non power 5 school (BYU/ND had no data).

There are 3 SEC west schools that pay $1 million more a year than the B1G's highest paid team's staff. Top 5 is all SEC, 4 of 5 in the West.

LSU's 3 loss team is #1, Auburn's 6 loss team is ironically #2.

Then Alabama, Georgia, and A&M. Followed by the only 2 programs in the ACC, Clemson and FSU.

UCF was so high this year because it includes a 700k buyout for our former OC to not be our head coach. So the real salary total would have been closer to the 1.1-1.2 million range. However, starting with the new coaching regime, the pool will go to 2.3 million for assistants.

New coach asked for a lower salary to increase that budget. Otherwise, it would have been around 1.8-1.9 million.

cdyhybrid

National media relieved that there are no ACC officiating crews in the playoff.

They apparently haven't realized that Pac-12 refs are doing the title game instead.

Edit: Six of Christian McCaffrey's games kicked off at 10:30pm Eastern. I'm sure the Heisman voters all did their due diligence and stayed up to watch those games though 😏

Lonestar

National media relieved that there are no ACC officiating crews in the playoff.

They apparently haven't realized that Pac-12 refs are doing the title game instead.

Edit: Six of Christian McCaffrey's games kicked off at 10:30pm Eastern. I'm sure the Heisman voters all did their due diligence and stayed up to watch those games though 😏

Why? They should just imagine the three or four 29 yard kick returns he ran out, and be underwhelmed like everyone else.

Lonestar

I didn't realize return yards didn't count towards field position now!

it does, but there comes a point where you are returning too many kickoffs, meaning you are giving up more touchdowns. Give me more punt returns, shows your defense is stopping people. Regular Football Joes can get you 20 yard returns on kickoffs, and 25 if they just take a knee.

cashman

Banned
so apparently Meacham isnt even a candidate for Tulane and Cumbie would have taken the Texas job but they were only offering 2 years guaranteed when he wanted 3 guaranteed

what the hell
I doubt that Cumbie part is true, it's probably a combo of he's not a big money person and a stable TCU is not that far up from a Texas that's unstable right now.

Why? They should just imagine the three or four 29 yard kick returns he ran out, and be underwhelmed like everyone else.

Matt Hinton had a couple of tweets this weekend about how even if you throw out McCaffrey's kick off return yards he still accounted for more all purpose yards than anything else.

Top Bottom