• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 14 - Last Chance (For Chaos)

cashman

Banned
Didn't somebody in the Texas admin say something recently about how they are keeping Strong on because they didn't feel like he got the support he needed the first two years?

They hired Perrin as permanent AD. He's directly involved with this fiasco.

I think the President and AD fully support Strong, but the BOR and boosters are trying to undermine him.

Texas wants a permanent AD. Patterson was such a complete disastrous hire like Brandon from Michigan.

Perrin is the guy and by all accounts he's been really great and has fixed a lot of Patterson's mistakes. The problem is Texas has a lot of billionaires backing them and it gets messy trying to control them all. As shitty of a coach Mack was, he was really great at that.

Lunar15

So glad we got all of our coaching shit out of the way before this carousel of nonsense. The SEC looks like it came out worse in terms of coaching.

cashman

Banned
Now it's Fenves, Perrin, and Strong flying to Tulsa.

Yep.

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS 8m8 minutes ago
Texas President Greg Fenves, AD Mike Perrin and Charlie Strong are ALL flying to Tulsa to get Sterlin Gilbert. First by @AnwarRichardson.

This is for an offensive coordinator guys. From Tulsa.

Yep.

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS 8m8 minutes ago
Texas President Greg Fenves, AD Mike Perrin and Charlie Strong are ALL flying to Tulsa to get Sterlin Gilbert. First by @AnwarRichardson.

This is for an offensive coordinator guys. From Tulsa.
Hey Charlie Strong set the bar low with no guns, no drugs, no stealing respect women. It was to be expected. Even Walmart has a higher standard than that.

cashman

Banned
That can't happen. They have to do whatever it takes, don't they? Can't get further embarrassed.

I don't follow the AAC much, but is this guy that highly thought of? I've never heard of him before this.

He comes from the Briles tree and is a young coordinator with Texas HS coaching ties. He might be a better fit than Cumbie because he does a run first spread. Some quotes about him.

@FootballScoop 20h20 hours ago
5 years ago I asked P Montgomery if he were to be hit by a bus who should Art hire to run the O. He lit up & said “Sterlin G. He’s a stud"

Sterlin was our 2013 FCS Coordinator of the Year. He’s legit. Understand Texas’ interest in him; but as of right now, Texas hasn’t offered.

‏@schadjoe 24h24 hours ago
Art Briles on Texas OC hire: “We have to work harder now. It’s like when someone gets into your bank account and steals your identity.”

andycapps

He comes from the Briles tree and is a young coordinator with Texas HS coaching ties. He might be a better fit than Cumbie because he does a run first spread. Some quotes about him.

5 years ago I asked P Montgomery if he were to be hit by a bus who should Art hire to run the O. He lit up & said “Sterlin G. He’s a stud"

Sterlin was our 2013 FCS Coordinator of the Year. He’s legit. Understand Texas’ interest in him; but as of right now, Texas hasn’t offered.

‏@schadjoe 24h24 hours ago
Art Briles on Texas OC hire: “We have to work harder now. It’s like when someone gets into your bank account and steals your identity.”
Interesting. Seems like he could be a good fit if Strong's tenure isn't as limited as it seems.

So, any hot takes on Army Navy?

Anybody?

...guys?

I mean, outside of the distraction of the Navy coach looking at BYU, the talent level isn't even close. I'd expect Navy to easily win this one. They have what 2 losses? And are in the top 25?

I know anything can happen in rivalry games, but.....

So how true is this tweet? Posted today a couple of hours ago.

Gerry Hamilton Verified account
‏@HamiltonESPN
Tulsa OC Sterlin Gilbert has turned down #Texas OC job offer

Would that apparent flight be an in-person plea to him or something?

Balphon

I mean, outside of the distraction of the Navy coach looking at BYU, the talent level isn't even close. I'd expect Navy to easily win this one. They have what 2 losses? And are in the top 25?

I know anything can happen in rivalry games, but.....

It's been like what, 12 years?

Army is due.

AntoneM

I'm surprised that ASU didn't make a clusterfuck when trying to hire for an open football position (Southern Miss OC to replace our OC who went to Memphis). I mean we almost signed a contract to hire June Jones as our head coach... And then the whole Graham thing.

cashman

Banned
Gilbert to Texas. For real this time.

Greg Fenves ‏@gregfenves 9h9 hours ago
I fully support Charlie Strong. I am committed to helping him move Longhorn Football forward.

Sometimes a vote of confidence can be real.

andycapps

Pitt OC Jim Chaney to UGA as OC according to football scoop. Also, Arkansas OL coach Sam Pittman is taking the same position at UGA.

Anyone familiar with Chaney? Looking up more info now.

Seems like a spread guy with power running game but has become more pro-style recently.

ryseing

I hope that Charlie tells the administration to fuck off and takes a job somewhere else that will actually support him. This situation is disgusting; they're doing their best to fuck him over because they're too scared to fire him right now.

It's never going to work out.

The race element definitely comes into play here. Certain old white men wanted nothing to do with Strong.

bachikarn

Pitt OC Jim Chaney to UGA as OC according to football scoop. Also, Arkansas OL coach Sam Pittman is taking the same position at UGA.

Anyone familiar with Chaney? Looking up more info now.

Seems like a spread guy with power running game but has become more pro-style recently.

Didn't he get fired from Arkansas? I remember he had a really good passing offense one year at Tenn, but he had like three NFL recovers and Bray as QB. Still didn't win many games though.

Also saw that Pitt averaged less passing yards per game than Treon did this year lol

He is also looks like Weis

andycapps

Didn't he get fired from Arkansas? I remember he had a really good passing offense one year at Tenn, but he had like three NFL recovers and Bray as QB. Still didn't win many games though.

Also saw that Pitt averaged less passing yards per game than Treon did this year lol

He is also looks like Weis

He didn't get fired, he joined Narduzzi on his own. Getting 3600 yards out of Bray is nice, and obviously he did well with Brees and Orton back in the day at Purdue. I think I'm more excited about the OL hire. His OL at Arky have been monsters. Same with that power running game. Like these hires the more I look at it.

Top Bottom