• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 14 - Last Chance (For Chaos)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
BamaOnline ($9.95 site) is reporting that Jeremy Pruitt should be announced as our DC in time for the official visitors coming in this weekend.

hmmm

I really didn't like that guy, but it seems like Saban has unburnable bridges, when you look at Lance Thompson, Kevin Steele, Lane Kiffin, and that Pettway kid.

But at least it would zero-sum the loss of Kirby in the recruiting department. At least for the one year he'd actually be here.

Damn is Sumlin one little bitch. I don't think any transfer from Alabama has been given the "no release to SEC schools". Even Auburn.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
hmmm

I really didn't like that guy, but it seems like Saban has unburnable bridges, when you look at Lance Thompson, Kevin Steele, Lane Kiffin, and that Pettway kid.

But at least it would zero-sum the loss of Kirby in the recruiting department. At least for the one year he'd actually be here.
Yeah, Saban builds those bitches out of some flame retardant shit or something. I don't get it either, other than "it's not personal, it's just business." Although, I think Lance Thompson took a wrecking ball to all of his bridges back to Tuscaloosa.

Lonestar

Yeah, Saban builds those bitches out of some flame retardant shit or something. I don't get it either, other than "it's not personal, it's just business." Although, I think Lance Thompson took a wrecking ball to all of his bridges back to Tuscaloosa.

I mean, maybe the only burned bridges were of the recruiting type, where he immediately tried to flip kids to FSU when he left, and maybe Saban can roll with that as business decisions. Maybe the strange rumors of personal beef between them (and Pruitt's wife) were just that, rumors.

I don't think Cochran's left yet. Any word, oh Mister $9.95?

squicken

Damn is Sumlin one little bitch. I don't think any transfer from Alabama has been given the "no release to SEC schools". Even Auburn.

Years ago, Barry Switzer greased the wheels to get Troy Aikman to UCLA when he transferred from OU. He knew Terry Donahue and made the introductions. I wonder if Sumlin and Stoops probably have talked some on these sorts of things as well?

mre

Cochran seems likely to stay. He's 1 year short of vesting in the Alabama retirement system, so leaving now would forfeit a lot of money. Plus we're willing to beat almost any offer Georgia could make.

andycapps

Cochran seems likely to stay. He's 1 year short of vesting in the Alabama retirement system, so leaving now would forfeit a lot of money. Plus we're willing to beat almost any offer Georgia could make.
I read some Bama site that said they didn't think a retirement of $80k a year means much to guys making as much as him. We'll see, I could see it still happening but I'm pretty sure Smart and Saban had a verbal agreement not to take anyone else from Bama's staff until after they're done playing.

mre

I read some Bama site that said they didn't think a retirement of $80k a year means much to guys making as much as him. We'll see, I could see it still happening but I'm pretty sure Smart and Saban had a verbal agreement not to take anyone else from Bama's staff until after they're done playing.
$80k a year retirement means a whole hell of a lot more to a S&C coach than it would a head coach. Cochran makes in the $500k range right now.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I mean, maybe the only burned bridges were of the recruiting type, where he immediately tried to flip kids to FSU when he left, and maybe Saban can roll with that as business decisions. Maybe the strange rumors of personal beef between them (and Pruitt's wife) were just that, rumors.

Pruitt has a long history of personal "rumors".

Rumors have it that Chris Ash is targeting a bigger name than Paul Rhoads for his defensive coordinator.

Hearing that Jeremy Pruitt might be heading up north. Matt Canada might be the OC. He's done a great job at NC State from what I recall. Wanted for a lot of jobs. Looking forward to it. He's a true up and comer in the profession. Dana Bible for QB coach. Ryan Carty to coach TEs.

This is a world class coaching staff.

andycapps

$80k a year retirement means a whole hell of a lot more to a S&C coach than it would a head coach. Cochran makes in the $500k range right now.
I would think so, but it was some Bama $9.95 site that threw water on the idea that a guy his age would make decisions thinking 30 years in the future vs making his money now and going with his best friend to a new opportunity. $80k/year with full benefits plus whatever 401k or investments you may otherwise have sounds pretty good to me.

Also, $500k for a S&C coach is still huge.

andycapps

So with Pruitt heading back to Tuscaloosa right away, does Smart quit at the same time? Why would Saban need both of them for the same position in the playoffs? Something tells me if Pruitt is gone, which seems to be the case, he's not sticking around for our bowl game. Why should Smart stick around if Pruitt isn't?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So with Pruitt heading back to Tuscaloosa right away, does Smart quit at the same time? Why would Saban need both of them for the same position in the playoffs? Something tells me if Pruitt is gone, which seems to be the case, he's not sticking around for our bowl game. Why should Smart stick around if Pruitt isn't?

Totally, Alabama and Georgia both have the same level of postseason importance.

Draxal

Rumors have it that Chris Ash is targeting a bigger name than Paul Rhoads for his defensive coordinator.

Hearing that Jeremy Pruitt might be heading up north. Matt Canada might be the OC. He's done a great job at NC State from what I recall. Wanted for a lot of jobs. Looking forward to it. He's a true up and comer in the profession. Dana Bible for QB coach. Ryan Carty to coach TEs.

This is a world class coaching staff.

Pruitt with the Star Ledger would be freaking amazing, he'd last one day.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Not allowing transfers within the conference is pretty much standard procedure across the country. If Alabama has never put that stipulation on a transfer they're in the minority.

Generally speaking, from what I've seen if a guy ends up at another school in the same conference it's because they were either kicked off the team from their previous school or they went through a JUCO for a year first, and both of those situations are still pretty uncommon in the big picture.

With a guy like Allen, who A&M would welcome to stay on the roster, the no conference transfer thing is pretty standard from what I've seen.

Years ago, Barry Switzer greased the wheels to get Troy Aikman to UCLA when he transferred from OU. He knew Terry Donahue and made the introductions. I wonder if Sumlin and Stoops probably have talked some on these sorts of things as well?

We were hoping the Sumlin-Kingsbury connection would result in some transfer action between us but thus far nothing has really come of it.

mre

Because (1) Alabama actually wants Smart to stick around coach the playoffs and (2) Smart actually wants to stick around and coach the playoffs.

andycapps

Because (1) Alabama actually wants Smart to stick around coach the playoffs and (2) Smart actually wants to stick around and coach the playoffs.
I get that that was the plan, but I'm not sure I still see the sense of it for both parties.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I get that that was the plan, but I'm not sure I still see the sense of it for both parties.

Yeah I don't know why it would be advantageous for Alabama to have the person who has been their DC all year and knows the scheme and players coach them in the playoffs. Makes no sense.

Draxal

A lot of stories about how Flood was a disaster is leaking out.

I'm assuming there are some stories about other coaches. Any juicy tidbits about Richt, Andy?

andycapps

Yeah I don't know why it would be advantageous for Alabama to have the person who has been their DC all year and knows the scheme and players coach them in the playoffs. Makes no sense.

Ha I know. Just ready to get some news going at UGA. It's weird to see the difference between how news trickled out when Richt was there to the beat writers not hearing anything. That Bama media lockdown came with Smart, I guess.

A lot of stories about how Flood was a disaster is leaking out.

I'm assuming there are some stories about other coaches. Any juicy tidbits about Richt, Andy?
Other than being really bad at clock management, special teams, and getting his team ready for big games, he was a great coach.

Off the field, definitely not. Mark Richt is basically a Sunday School teacher.

Lunar15

If anything bad ever came out about Richt, I'd lose all faith in humanity.

My sister worked in the clubhouse boxes at Stanford stadium and Richt invited her and a bunch of the employees to his house for thanksgiving dinner one time. She said he was an incredibly kind, genuine, down to earth person.

Y'know, while Richt is down here in miami, he should stop by a Boca High football game. We've been doing well recently.

andycapps

Seriously?

Not really, just impatient.

If anything bad ever came out about Richt, I'd lose all faith in humanity.

My sister worked in the clubhouse boxes at Stanford stadium and Richt invited her and a bunch of the employees to his house for thanksgiving dinner one time. She said he was an incredibly kind, down to earth person.

Y'know, while Richt is down here in miami, he should stop by a Boca High football game. We've been doing well recently.
Sanford. That sounds like something Richt would do though. This is a great article about what he was really like.

Draxal

Ha I know. Just ready to get some news going at UGA. It's weird to see the difference between how news trickled out when Richt was there to the beat writers not hearing anything. That Bama media lockdown came with Smart, I guess.

Other than being really bad at clock management, special teams, and getting his team ready for big games, he was a great coach.

Off the field, definitely not. Mark Richt is basically a Sunday School teacher.

Flood was a nice guy ... but he sided with the players in assistant coaches vs player conflicts ... which is kinda um ... wtfish in my mind.

Lonestar

CV9bHFZXIAA5QSy.jpg

CONFIRM CONFIRMED, Jeremy Pruitt SITED IN A TUSKAWINNA NON-WALMART STORE CALLED TARGETE', WHERE BIG DEALS ON FLANNEL SHIRTS ARE TARGETTED TO FIT ALL YOUR FLANNEL NEEDS, AND HE'S CURRENTLY CONFIRMED ON THE PHONE WITH ALL YOUR MIDDLE LINEBACKER NEEDS TOO. IT'S MOSTLY CONFIRMED THAT THIS ISN'OT JUST A MIDDLE AGED BALD GUY NAME GERALD.

andycapps

CV9bHFZXIAA5QSy.jpg

CONFIRM CONFIRMED, Jeremy Pruitt SITED IN A TUSKAWINNA NON-WALMART STORE CALLED TARGETE', WHERE BIG DEALS ON FLANNEL SHIRTS ARE TARGETTED TO FIT ALL YOUR FLANNEL NEEDS, AND HE'S CURRENTLY CONFIRMED ON THE PHONE WITH ALL YOUR MIDDLE LINEBACKER NEEDS TOO. IT'S MOSTLY CONFIRMED THAT THIS ISN'OT JUST A MIDDLE AGED BALD GUY NAME GERALD.
The thought of Jeremy Pruitt wearing flannel. :jnc

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 1h1 hour ago
Weird that Derrick Henry has 1900 rushing yards but less than 100 receiving. RB nearest in those stats is Matt Breida, who plays in option O

Why does Derrick Henry have so few receiving yards?

mre

Kiffin hates to throw the RB screen for some reason. Didn't do it last year with Yeldon, either, who has fantastic hands (just ask LSU).

WR screens, on the other hand...

Edit: also, Coker apparently lacks the ability to put any sort of touch on his passes.

Lonestar

Lane Kiffin.

Or Jake Coker.

I mean, Alabama has a 6'6" TE with WR speed and good hands, and is never a feature in the passing game. He has 5 catches in the last 5 games, and zero in the last 2. He's assuredly not in the game for his blocking skills (Average at best).

Henry's first 6 receptions of his career went for 193 yards and 3 TD's. That's a 32 yard per catch average. 10 catches this year, and most of them were poorly formed screen passes that didn't get yards. Throw him some flat routes or small hitch/slant routes, and let him catch passes past the D-Line, and laugh at what he does to the back 7 players

Maybe they'll bust out those plays in the playoff.

andycapps

Lane Kiffin.

Or Jake Coker.

I mean, Alabama has a 6'6" TE with WR speed and good hands, and is never a feature in the passing game. He has 5 catches in the last 5 games, and zero in the last 2. He's assuredly not in the game for his blocking skills (Average at best).

Henry's first 6 receptions of his career went for 193 yards and 3 TD's. That's a 32 yard per catch average. 10 catches this year, and most of them were poorly formed screen passes that didn't get yards. Throw him some flat routes or small hitch/slant routes, and let him catch passes past the D-Line, and laugh at what he does to the back 7 players

Maybe they'll bust out those plays in the playoff.
OJ Howard is a monster. Horribly underutilized there. And Henry on a screen would be fun to watch.

Top Bottom