• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 14 - Last Chance (For Chaos)

Draxal

But he can't defend the spread.

This kills Rutgers and any shot of getting great talent to stay in New Jersey

Nah, I mean don't forget how he screwed Don Bosco his last day at Rutgers, the high school coaches didn't forget that.

And Ohio State is going to focus on Ohio and Florida/Georgia, and the players that they would have poached from NJ would likely not have gone to Rutgers anyway. I actually like how this spices up the Ohio State/Rutgers game anyway, I mean they'll cream us, but there's a reason for a little dislike now.

cashman

Banned
So it seems as though there is a full on shit show in Austin

I wish we had embedded tweets

MZpOjtk.png

HvRLOlR.png

IHpyDUc.png

tMeNcWm.png

Nah, I mean don't forget how he screwed Don Bosco his last day at Rutgers, the high school coaches didn't forget that.

And Ohio State is going to focus on Ohio and Florida/Georgia, and the players that they would have poached from NJ would likely not have gone to Rutgers anyway. I actually like how this spices up the Ohio State/Rutgers game anyway, I mean they'll cream us, but there's a reason for a little dislike now.
It's not like Bosco is sending all their talent to RU.

RU being held hostage by Toal is such a joke.

andycapps

Not really a surprise, him and Urbs are close. He's a legitimately good DC though, very aggressive in blitzing.
When did they coach together? Not seeing the connection. He's a good defensive mind, this is either him getting this as a springboard to another HC job next year or to be Urban's replacement when he's done in a few years.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Jesus, poor Charlie Strong. Really makes you wonder why he didn't throw his name into the hat for one of the many, many open jobs.

Draxal

When did they coach together? Not seeing the connection. He's a good defensive mind, this is either him getting this as a springboard to another HC job next year or to be Urban's replacement when he's done in a few years.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...-schiano-rutgers-football-knowledge/17313423/

The friendship between Meyer and Schiano dates back to the late 1990s, when the former was wide receivers coach at Notre Dame and the latter was defensive backs coach with the NFL's Chicago Bears.

Big thing about Schiano is that he has to rebuild his rep. He has the reputation of being a complete asshole, and needs a chance to rehab that.

Jesus, poor Charlie Strong. Really makes you wonder why he didn't throw his name into the hat for one of the many, many open jobs.

The teams that would take him couldn't afford his buyout.

I woudlnt want Schiano as my head coach but ill take him a cord. He somehow made Rutgers a decent team, RUTGERS!! Seemed like a good recruiter there and developed some pretty good talent.

mre

It's official: “We are excited to announce that Jeremy Pruitt has rejoined our staff at Alabama as defensive coordinator,” Saban said via a statement. “He did an outstanding job in the six years he was with us and did the same at Florida State and Georgia after that. Jeremy is obviously an excellent defensive coach, and also does a great job in terms of recruiting and developing relationships with players. We're pleased and happy to have Jeremy and his family back in Tuscaloosa.”

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's official: “We are excited to announce that Jeremy Pruitt has rejoined our staff at Alabama as defensive coordinator,” Saban said via a statement. “He did an outstanding job in the six years he was with us and did the same at Florida State and Georgia after that. Jeremy is obviously an excellent defensive coach, and also does a great job in terms of recruiting and developing relationships with players. We're pleased and happy to have Jeremy and his family back in Tuscaloosa.”

This is so weird.

mre

I like it how our ex coach and future to be coach are coaching in Ohio State's bowl game against ND.

Hopefully, they'll let Ash be free now.

I mean he's already coaching
Yeah, that's ridiculous to have your new HC still coaching for another school, especially an in-conference opponent. If your AD had any balls, he'd put a stop to that.

Draxal

Yeah, that's ridiculous to have your new HC still coaching for another school, especially an in-conference opponent. If your AD had any balls, he'd put a stop to that.

I don't care about it really more bemused both of them are there, but playoffs >>>>>>>>>>> bowl game,

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

It doesnt even make sense why Ohio State would want Ash to coach in the bowl game instead of having Schiano just go ahead and take over.

squicken

Crazy stuff at Texas. Dunno about all the supposed drama bts, but it's nuts they can't hire a coordinator. Even w/o the bts stuff, most people know Strong is on a short leash. The top guys aren't going to a place where they could be one and done

mre

It doesnt even make sense why Ohio State would want Ash to coach in the bowl game instead of having Schiano just go ahead and take over.
It's a control thing. Urban is just making sure Rutgers knows its place.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
So it seems as though there is a full on shit show in Austin

I wish we had embedded tweets

MZpOjtk.png

tMeNcWm.png

Didn't somebody in the Texas admin say something recently about how they are keeping Strong on because they didn't feel like he got the support he needed the first two years?

All just rumor of course but I heard Cumbie wanted 3 years and they were only willing to give him 2; That sort of jives with this, as you probably HAVE to give a guy at least two years on a contract even if you're thinking the HC may not be around but you may not be willing to go for a 3rd and risk having to pay a guy for 2 extra years to not work.

Limedust

I would have bet money that it was going to be Tucker, and not Pruitt.

So glad we got our HC hire in before things started drying up. Although things have been silent outside of a few assistant hires. So that'll be the next thing to follow over the next few weeks and months.

Well.. I don't know how I feel about Schiano. Really don't..

So glad we got our HC hire in before things started drying up. Although things have been silent outside of a few assistant hires. So that'll be the next thing to follow over the next few weeks and months.

And one of the better hires in my eyes.. Like some school in the Midwest should have made considering he's an alum of that school...

andycapps

I see what you did here.

Eason and his dad are in GA for his official. Richt was supposed to show up for the senior gala tonight. So Smart decided to throw a separate recruiting event away from there. Keeping those recruits away from Richt.

b1VGGCuh.jpg

SCChappy

Banned
I hope that Charlie tells the administration to fuck off and takes a job somewhere else that will actually support him. This situation is disgusting; they're doing their best to fuck him over because they're too scared to fire him right now.

It's never going to work out.

andycapps

I hope that Charlie tells the administration to fuck off and takes a job somewhere else that will actually support him. This situation is disgusting; they're doing their best to fuck him over because they're too scared to fire him right now.

It's never going to work out.
Yeah he's a lame duck there right now. If they're going to fire him, they really should get it over with so everyone can move on. This whole thing is just making that Texas job look a little more unappealing than it should be. How much support will the next guy have?

SCChappy

Banned
Yeah he's a lame duck there right now. If they're going to fire him, they really should get it over with so everyone can move on. This whole thing is just making that Texas job look a little more unappealing than it should be. How much support will the next guy have?

I honestly don't know. Everything's fucked up.

I know Texas has a bit of the Nebraska syndrome, but what did they expect after the end of Mack's tenure and the obvious issues in recruiting? Shit's going to take time - especially with TCU and Baylor being competitive. Only two years and clearly ready to fire him?

I know it's Texas and realistically many people will go there because of the salary and historical prestige, but from a purely professional standpoint, who would want to coach there after this?

SCChappy

Banned
I can only think that the administration thinks that someone like Tom Herman would instantly take the job.

The admins may see Charlie as Steve Patterson's guy and want him out to get a guy of their own.

I can only think that the administration thinks that someone like Tom Herman would instantly take the job.

Yeah, he probably would. That's clearly his dream job. But it kind of proves that if Texas no longer believes in Strong, they should have fired him now and hired Herman this cycle.

Herman just signed an extension and pay raise. Obviously Texas would buy that out with zero issue, but it now would make Herman like an incredible dick bolting right after an extension like that. Would have been bad enough bolting after just a year like the speculation pointed to initially.

But hell, if I'm Herman, I'm not hurting for money at UH and Texas has clear issues. Even if it was my dream job, I'd bide my time in Houston for a few years before stepping into that crap.

What if he can't get it turned around in a year or two like they expected with Strong? Will he then have to start worrying about being able to attract assistants or eventually recruits?

Top Bottom