• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week Ten Thread: Unranked Miami Upends Ranked Duke

My dream scenario is hoping Baylor goes 11-0 and then loses their final game to Texas putting them and the rest of the Big 12 teams out of playoff contention in heartbreaking fashion. Then a week later Texas announces they are leaving the Big 12 and accepting a Pac 12 invite which sets off the dominoes to the inevitable collapse of the Big 12 leaving a bunch of schools scrambling to find a home and like a game of musical chairs, there are more schools than chairs so some will be left out.

I guess that makes me a Big 12 homer and a master of run-on sentences.

cashman

Banned
piesmanbama.0.gif

Thanks Mack Brown. Thanks.

:jnc at Alabama #3 reaction to this flop

The dynamic was changing as the commitment softened a bit. Abigail worried about the loyalty of the Texas staff. The fall after committing, she remembered a few Texas assistants were in town to see another recruit. They never visited their star commit.

"I felt like it hurt his feelings," Abigail said. "It hurt mine."

Young, who was promoted to head coach at Arlington Heights after the season, remembered getting a call from nervous Texas coaches after Alabama became a serious threat.

"Coach," he remembered telling them. "It's Alabama. Texas, you guys are a top-20 team and a lot of tradition. But you're not Alabama."

Abigail recalled Mack Brown comparing recruitment and commitment to marriage.

"I think he dropped the ball on the courtship," she said. "He felt like he had him and didn't court him."

Damn you Mack Brown!!!!
LLShC.gif

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Jim Harbaugh is a horrible human being.

His behavior was extremely boorish during the Rutgers-Michigan game. Kyle Flood will kick his ass next year for payback. Flood's not going to back down.

I still have faith in my coach. As a fan, you should never criticize the coach. You don't know more about football than him. He's better than you at this job. Your job is to root for the team NO MATTER WHAT.

Some of you guys don't understand this. You endlessly criticize and analyze your coach. You try to discuss things.

There is no discussion. There is only fandom!

Lonestar

I have high expectations for the Meltdown this week.

I await it with bated breath.

I do wonder if they'll pull a "LSU only" list, like they did when Alabama lost. I'd like to see some Ole Miss, A&M, FSU and MSUn. Maybe they could find some TCU fans. Any other possibilities that I'm forgetting?

I'm incensed that there are fans who are raising money to fire Coach Flood.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?!?!!?!?!?

They are not true sons of RUTGERS!

Limedust

I await it with bated breath.

I do wonder if they'll pull a "LSU only" list, like they did when Alabama lost. I'd like to see some Ole Miss, A&M, FSU and MSUn. Maybe they could find some TCU fans. Any other possibilities that I'm forgetting?

That covers everything I want to see.

Lunar15

There is a close mix of hate and respect that flows through my veins when I watch any given football game that's not my team.

I root against every other team in my conference.

I wouldn't say I root for them, but I definitely want the teams in the Pac-12 to win their non conference games and bowl games. Just good for conference perception.

This year, in particular, I'm rooting for Utah (who's not really a team I hate or care about) to make it to the title game against Stanford as the highest rated South team to help their chances. Stanford's currently ~2nd in line for a shot IMO. (One you factor the B12 having at best one undefeated, SECSECSEC, B10, and Clemson). They need one of them to lose and then to take care of business all the way along, particularly the ND game.

Swap out Rutgers, swap in Nintendo, and off we go.

Isn't Flood Halo related? He could post his Flood rant in the Halo 5 thread and it would make sense

So, will LSU be hanging out at #4 in the CFP rankings this week?

I hope so. I would love to see 3 playoff teams with 1 loss in the top 4 even though there are currently 6 undefeated teams to choose from. Just imagine the outrage having Notre Dame, Alabama, and LSU in the top 4

Lonestar

Isn't Flood Halo related? He could post his Flood rant in the Halo 5 thread and it would make sense

I hope so. I would love to see 3 playoff teams with 1 loss in the top 4 even though there are currently 6 undefeated teams to choose from. Just imagine the outrage having Notre Dame, Alabama, and LSU in the top 4

I'd put them like this, based on their current schedules and results: Ohio State = Iowa > Okie State > Baylor. Iowa has played more than 3 teams with winning records, OSUn has played 3, OSUs has played 1, and Baylor hasn't played anyone with a winning record. But Iowa, OSUs and Baylor have played a FCS school while OSUn has not, hence the "="

Noted PAC 8/10/18 Homer Jeff Sagarin has Kansas as being ranked 151 overall, behind numerous FCS teams. The Big 10 12 has a FCS school in their conference!

The worst SEC school is 75th ranked Vandy. Vandy is literally twice as good as Kansas.

Alabama has (yet) to play a FCS school. Charlston Whomever is coming up in 2 weeks, though still 31 spots in front of Kansas, and would be Baylor's toughest OOC opponent this year.

The toughest OOC for all 4 teams above combined, appears to be 4-5 Virginia Tech or 3-6 Iowa State.

Looking at games against the top 30, Alabama has 5 games (4-1). The next highest teams with 5 games or more against the top 30, are 4-5 Washington and California. The 4 undefeated teams above have a combined total of 4 games played against the top 30.

The SEC fan is making fun of your OOC games. The World Has Ended.

I'd put them like this, based on their current schedules and results: Ohio State = Iowa > Okie State > Baylor. Iowa has played more than 3 teams with winning records, OSUn has played 3, OSUs has played 1, and Baylor hasn't played anyone with a winning record. But Iowa, OSUs and Baylor have played a FCS school while OSUn has not, hence the "="

Noted PAC 8/10/18 Homer Jeff Sagarin has Kansas as being ranked 151 overall, behind numerous FCS teams. The Big 10 12 has a FCS school in their conference!

The worst SEC school is 75th ranked Vandy. Vandy is literally twice as good as Kansas.

Alabama has (yet) to play a FCS school. Charlston Whomever is coming up in 2 weeks, though still 31 spots in front of Kansas, and would be Baylor's toughest OOC opponent this year.

The toughest OOC for all 4 teams above combined, appears to be 4-5 Virginia Tech or 3-6 Iowa State.

Looking at games against the top 30, Alabama has 5 games (4-1). The next highest teams with 5 games or more against the top 30, are 4-5 Washington and California. The 4 undefeated teams above have a combined total of 4 games played against the top 30.

The SEC fan is making fun of your OOC games. The World Has Ended.

Alabama's games against top 30 opponents: Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Georgia (???), LSU, Tennessee (?????????)

That just means you've played the tougher part of your conference schedule first?

Sagarin confirmed SEC homer, how is Tennessee 18th

Lonestar

Alabama's games against top 30 opponents: Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Georgia (???), LSU, Tennessee (?????????)

That just means you've played the tougher part of your conference schedule first?

Sagarin confirmed SEC homer, how is Tennessee 18th

About to play a 6th top 30 team in MSUs, but as usual with stats and standings, who knows how the overall numbers will change in a week, but yes, those are the top 30 teams. Auburn, Arkansas and A&M are 31,32, and 33. PAC 23 Homer Jeff Sagarin.

Ryuuroden

About to play a 6th top 30 team in MSUs, but as usual with stats and standings, who knows how the overall numbers will change in a week, but yes, those are the top 30 teams. Auburn, Arkansas and A&M are 31,32, and 33. PAC 23 Homer Jeff Sagarin.

Sagarin rankings are useless and mean nothing. Of all the computer rankings, they are the worst. They had Ohio State at like 90th best team last year or some shit. Yes I am exaggerating but I don't remember them being anywhere near the top 4 going into the playoffs.

I say this while agreeing that the schedule OSU has had so far has been easy but at least it has meat in the final 3 weeks (2 weeks and potential championship game) and doesn't schedule its FCS level competition for middle to end of the season so they can get a 2nd bye week. (We don't even play FCS teams anymore and are moving to a 9 conference game schedule too)

Even the Big 12 is better than the SEC when it comes to playing in conference since they play round robin. They schedule only a little more shittier OOC than the SEC (SEC has its Baylors too) but they play more in conference games (9).

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Week 10 Pick 'Em Results

Week 10 Pick 'Em said:
name [ tot_score ] [ w10_score ]
zyxwvu4321 [ 56 ] [ 11 ]
Randolph Freelander [ 52 ] [ 8 ]
perfectchaos007 [ 59 ] [ 7 ]
Fragamemnon [ 57 ] [ 7 ]
Kacar [ 54 ] [ 7 ]
ag-my001 [ 44 ] [ 7 ]
MrJames [ 50 ] [ 7 ]
cashman [ 48 ] [ 7 ]
cdyhybrid [ 55 ] [ 6 ]
theprodigy [ 48 ] [ 6 ]
GoldenEye007 [ 55 ] [ 6 ]
ryseing [ 48 ] [ 6 ]
chaosblade [ 47 ] [ 5 ]
lonestar [ 46 ] [ 5 ]
Dsyndrome [ 48 ] [ 5 ]
andycapps [ 46 ] [ 5 ]
FelixOrion [ 47 ] [ 5 ]
sf2fanatic [ 45 ] [ 5 ]
Monroeski [ 49 ] [ 5 ]
Karl2177 [ 49 ] [ 5 ]
FloydtheFathead [ 56 ] [ 5 ]
pxleyes [ 43 ] [ 5 ]
Ganhyun [ 44 ] [ 4 ]
Frustrated_Grunt [ 48 ] [ 4 ]
xeris [ 54 ] [ 4 ]
bucknuticus [ 52 ] [ 4 ]
timetokill [ 47 ] [ 4 ]
Subitai [ 46 ] [ 4 ]
Mac the Knife [ 40 ] [ 3 ]
chicko1983 [ 40 ] [ 2 ]

Total Score said:
name [ tot_score ]
perfectchaos007 [ 59 ]
Fragamemnon [ 57 ]
zyxwvu4321 [ 56 ]
FloydtheFathead [ 56 ]
cdyhybrid [ 55 ]
GoldenEye007 [ 55 ]
xeris [ 54 ]
Kacar [ 54 ]
Randolph Freelander [ 52 ]
bucknuticus [ 52 ]
MrJames [ 50 ]
Monroeski [ 49 ]
Karl2177 [ 49 ]
Dsyndrome [ 48 ]
Frustrated_Grunt [ 48 ]
theprodigy [ 48 ]
cashman [ 48 ]
ryseing [ 48 ]
chaosblade [ 47 ]
timetokill [ 47 ]
FelixOrion [ 47 ]
lonestar [ 46 ]
andycapps [ 46 ]
Subitai [ 46 ]
sf2fanatic [ 45 ]
Ganhyun [ 44 ]
ag-my001 [ 44 ]
pxleyes [ 43 ]
AlteredBeast [ 42 ]
chicko1983 [ 40 ]
Mac the Knife [ 40 ]
Battlezone [ 36 ]
The Outsider [ 36 ]
Westonian [ 33 ]

Lonestar

Sagarin rankings are useless and mean nothing. Of all the computer rankings, they are the worst. They had Ohio State at like 90th best team last year or some shit. Yes I am exaggerating but I don't remember them being anywhere near the top 4 going into the playoffs.

I say this while agreeing that the schedule OSU has had so far has been easy but at least it has meat in the final 3 weeks (2 weeks and potential championship game) and doesn't schedule its FCS level competition for middle to end of the season so they can get a 2nd bye week. (We don't even play FCS teams anymore and are moving to a 9 conference game schedule too)

Even the Big 12 is better than the SEC when it comes to playing in conference since they play round robin. They schedule only a little more shittier OOC than the SEC (SEC has its Baylors too) but they play more in conference games (9).

We both know the SEC, B1G, ACC and PAC can't do round robin anymore. Too many teams, not enough weeks. It also takes votes to move up to more conference games, and Alabama by itself, won't get the other 13 to change.

Oh, and the only teams in the Big XII that have SEC OOC level games, are OU and the cellar dwellars (Texas, Kansas, TTU, Iowa State, Kansas State) and those 5 seemingly went 2-5 against P5 opponents. The Big 3 have miserable OOC's.

Here's where you bring up the sugar bowl, and here's where I go "where the hell did Derrick Henry go???" :/

andycapps

Seeing Derrick Henry go off against LSU (and UGA this year) makes me wonder what might have been with Gurley, Chubb, Michel, and Henry on the same team. He was committed to UGA for a couple years and flipped last minute.

What really makes me wonder what could have been is if any of them had a decent line at UGA to run behind. I wish we'd spend more time recruiting linemen than skill position players.

BONUS - 28

Thursday
Baylor (-17.5) v. KSU - COVER

Saturday
Notre Dame (-9.5) v. Pitt - COVER
Duke v. UNC (-7.5) - NO COVER
Stanford (-16.5) v. Colorado - COVER
Florida State v. Clemson (-13.5) - NO COVER
Arkansas v. Mississippi (-14.5) - COVER
Rutgers v. Michigan (-26.5) - NO COVER
Minnesota v. Ohio State (-23.5) - NO COVER
Kansas v. Texas (-21.5) - COVER
Cal v. Oregon (-3.5) - COVER

Week 10 Pick 'Em Results
lol... Did I actually score zero or were my picks skipped?

andycapps

We used to be the same way. Now we stockpile o-linemen every year.

I'm not holding my breath since Richt is an offensive guy and seems to put a ton of focus behind finding a great QB first, then RB's, then WR's. I'd really like for us to focus on QB, then OL, then RB's, then WR's. They do have some top linemen coming in next year, but they need to sustain those kind of signing classes for years to make a difference. Starting true freshmen is going to give you some inconsistency. Next year should be an adventure.

Holy shit, the reaction by Rutgers was amazing.

Rutgers had the proper reaction.

Coach Flood can't worry about traitorous fans killing his recruiting momentum. YOU'VE SEEN OUR RECRUITING CLASS? IT'S AMAZING.

They should go even further than publicly getting the campaign to Fire Flood removed from GoFundMe. I think Rutgers needs to revoke the alum status of anyone who donates to this campaign, or positively promotes it.

I'm proud of the administration for really getting behind Flood.

andycapps

Since this is the weekend of the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry, I'd like to take this opportunity to ask any Bama fans if they know why everyone refers to Jordan-Hare stadium as "Jerden-Hare." I don't understand that pronunciation.

Lonestar

Since this is the weekend of the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry, I'd like to take this opportunity to ask any Bama fans if they know why everyone refers to Jordan-Hare stadium as "Jerden-Hare." I don't understand that pronunciation.

besides just "southern accent", not really. My best guess, that's how Shug Jordan said his name. Suge Jerden.

Top Bottom