• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comey to testify publicly about Trump confrontations as early as next week

Zolo

It'll be even bigger if Comey shows up with copies of the memos detailing it. It'll be even bigger if Comey shows up with something we aren't expecting (like more memos)

And of course Trump will angrily go on Twitter and deny it

It seems the defense to be expected this time is that the tone of the conversation was being misinterpreted by Comey, and that Donald was just joking/being informal.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
DBk61L3UIAE-3-s.jpg

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/871792697572548610

Keep in mind that Trump had lost basically all footing to block Comey by talking about his interactions with Comey publicly.

interesting. Though it would have delaed it, i believe courts would have denied executive privilege given trumps statements publicly.

Sephzilla

It seems the defense to be expected this time is that the tone of the conversation was being misinterpreted by Comey, and that Donald was just joking/being informal.

I really hope Comey has some evidence to say otherwise for an immediate C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

DBk61L3UIAE-3-s.jpg

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/871792697572548610

Keep in mind that Trump had lost basically all footing to block Comey by talking about his interactions with Comey publicly.

I'm sure this has more to do with the fact that it would get shut down due to his Twitter rampages than any other reason. Someone probably had to keep him occupied with Pizza Hut for a few hours to get this letter out without him saying otherwise.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I really hope Comey has some evidence to say otherwise for an immediate C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

The evidence is that he both fired Comey and asked other high-level agency people to help dampen the investigation.

androvsky

Iirc, Comey said he didn't treat it super seriously at the time because he could simply ignore what Trump said and continue with the investigation. Comey getting fired right after a round of public hearings about Russia and Trump saying it was his decision and had 'the Russia thing in his head' when he did it gives unusually clear context.

Still haven't heard the full quote with the Russia thing, so I don't know if there's more context that dampens the impact, but it may not matter much.

Slaythe

Part of me can't shake the feeling that maybe it's all a scam to make it seem like Comey was against Trump just so that he can come out and say "nah Trump is legit".

Like a magician trick. We focus on Comey while the real stuff is going unnoticed.

Shadybiz

Part of me can't shake the feeling that maybe it's all a scam to make it seem like Comey was against Trump just so that he can come out and say "nah Trump is legit".

Like a magician trick. We focus on Comey while the real stuff is going unnoticed.

....I wouldn't worry about it. Trump has proven himself to be a fucking idiot. Wouldn't be able to orchestrate something like that.

And Big Foot lives on my block. They want me looking in the woods though. Pass me your tinfoil.

The worse thing about those tweets is that Trump presumably has experience with the legal system having a lawyer and all. You'd think he would know when to shut the fuck up.

When is the testimony, btw?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
The evidence is that he both fired Comey and asked other high-level agency people to help dampen the investigation.

It would still be fantastic to have a recording with:

TRUMP: Hey would you mind not investigating this?
COMEY: You can't be serious, Mr. President.
TRUMP: Of course I'm serious, unless, of course, this leaks to the public and then I'm joking.
COMEY: (making sure the mic is getting everything) Of course, sir.

ICO_SotC

I fully expect some Republicans to go after his credibility, and frame him as the untrustworthy one in the Trump/Comey drama. Graham went on the record and used the word "incompetent" to describe Comey last week.

This administration is less "magician" and more like your alcoholic uncle knocking back 7 gin and tonics and then finding a deck of cards on your coffee table and insisting on showing you magic tricks that he doesn't remember how to perform, before he throws up all over your bathroom and passes out with his toupee half-submerged in your toilet.

Ac30

Maybe Comey will finally take off his mask and reveal...

Shillary "But Her E-mails" Killington

This whole time, she investigated herself and cleared herself of all wrongdoing, and now she's out for blood

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
This administration is less "magician" and more like your alcoholic uncle knocking back 7 gin and tonics and then finding a deck of cards on your coffee table and insisting on showing you magic tricks that he doesn't remember how to perform, before he throws up all over your bathroom and passes out with his toupee half-submerged in your toilet.

I love this analogy.

Slaythe

And Big Foot lives on my block. They want me looking in the woods though. Pass me your tinfoil.

....I wouldn't worry about it. Trump has proven himself to be a fucking idiot. Wouldn't be able to orchestrate something like that.

Maybe Comey will finally take off his mask and reveal...

Shillary "But Her E-mails" Killington

This whole time, she investigated herself and cleared herself of all wrongdoing, and now she's out for blood

I know they are utter fools.

But remember the "tax returns leak" that ended up literally being the only page that could make Trump look good.

He keeps getting away with shit I just lose faith.

theWB27

I know they are utter fools.

But remember the "tax returns leak" that ended up literally being the only page that could make Trump look good.

He keeps getting away with shit I just lose faith.

But he's not getting away with anything other than taking away ish.

Shadybiz

Lol, this is a fantastic analogy.

Betcha Trump will have an emergency press conference with an adjusted testimony to closer match Comey's the night before just to save face. Trump must be seething right now that he's cornered himself without ability to interfere. Thursday's tweet harvest will be bountiful.

Spoo

I'm feeling really pessimistic about this. I know there will probably be some useful info gleamed, but after all that's happened and continues to happen, I'm really just expecting to be disappointed and upset.

I have a bad feeling that not much will come out of this testimony. Just another minor setback in the neverending trainwreck that is the Trump presidency. *sigh*

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
best thing about this week will be Trump himself:

Comey: incriminating memo information
@Potus: weird denial that actually admits something
Comey: more incriminating memo stuff
@Donald: staggeringly short sighted response that is in itself partially criminal

wvan13

I have a bad feeling that not much will come out of this testimony. Just another minor setback in the neverending trainwreck that is the Trump presidency. *sigh*

I want this to be it, but I feel the same. Trump had so many "this is gonna' be the thing that ends him" moments, throughout his campaign and through the last six months. The man is a cockroach; nothing can kill him.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I want this to be it, but I feel the same. Trump had so many "this is gonna' be the thing that ends him" moments, throughout his campaign and through the last six months. The man is a cockroach; nothing can kill him.

It's like when the Undertaker keeps getting hit with finisher's, but still manages to sit upright every time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

This is not going to be "it" - it's going to be damaging and incriminating and open up some previously unconsidered avenues and scare some implicated people. "it" will be a minimum of month's away. And will require tremendous damage to the GOP to get them to do anything.

Top Bottom