• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone got ONE more monthly i should add? i don't mind if i have to get trades to catch up. something different from what i'm reading already but just as quality.

Heh. I finally dropped Fables as well

I would recommend Wolverine and the X-Men, just skip the AvX issues
In the vein of Prophet, Image released another series (only 1 issue in) called Planetoid that's got a lot of potential. Can never go wrong with good sci-fi IMO

Not that anyone asked, but here is my current pull-list:

Dynamite
Thun'da (August)
Warlord of Mars
Warriors of Mars
Vampirella

Dark Horse
Conan the Barbarian
Hellboy
B.P.R.D.
Baltimore
Resident Alien

Valiant
Harbinger
X-O Manowar

Oni
The Secret History of D.B. Cooper
Courtney Crumrin

Boom!
Higher Earth
Hypernaturals

Danger Club
Fatale
Near Death
Planetoid
Prophet
Thief of Thieves
Saga

DC
Action Comics
Animal Man
Aquaman
Batman
Demon Knights
I, Vampire
Justice League Dark
Saucer Country
Swamp Thing
Wonder Woman

Marvel
Daredevil
Incredible Hulk
Punisher
Secret Avengers
Uncanny X-Force
Venom
Wolverine and the X-Men

LuCkymoON

Banned
Wasn't Artifacts supposed to be a summer event? Its on issue 19 now. I like Ron Marz, but i didnt want to invest in an event at the time and now im wondering how long that book is gonna go

It was suppose to end at issue 13 but turned into an ongoing after the events of issues 13. lol?
For anyone wondering; Artifacts vol 1 & 2 are a great entry point for Top Cow.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
yea but i don't feel like complaining about it every month. i dropped it along with fables finally. trimmed up my pull list to:

american vampire
batman
chew
fatale
mind the gap
morning glories
prophet
saga
uxf

with random release titles: locke and key, orc stain, casanova and witch doctor

anyone got ONE more monthly i should add? i don't mind if i have to get trades to catch up. something different from what i'm reading already but just as quality.

Sweet Tooth? Not sure if Jeff Lemire is your speed, but that'll be wrapping up its 40 issues in December. That's a damned great series. Stark, beautiful, honest and emotional. It's probably my favorite ongoing. I adore Jeff Lemire's work.

I haven't read it, but Brian Wood's The Massive just started up.

Mifune

Mehmber

The Unwritten

Dark, rich stew of classic literature, fables, and magic. It's the book I wanted Fables to be.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
AmVam and Batman, but no Swamp Thing? I would always recommend Waid's Daredevil. Saucer County is pretty good if you don't want heroes.

i'm a little burnt out on both swamp thing and daredevil (powered through moore and bendis' run respectively)

i will definitely check out saucer country

Heh. I finally dropped Fables as well

I would recommend Wolverine and the X-Men, just skip the AvX issues
In the vein of Prophet, Image released another series (only 1 issue in) called Planetoid that's got a lot of potential. Can never go wrong with good sci-fi IMO

i just dropped watxm because of avx. i don't have time to waste on bullshit. i liked planetoid 1 a lot but i heard it's just a mini series. looking for an ongoing but i will most certainly keep reading planetoid til it's done.

Sweet Tooth? Not sure if Jeff Lemire is your speed, but that'll be wrapping up its 40 issues in December. That's a damned great series. Stark, beautiful, honest and emotional. It's probably my favorite ongoing. I adore Jeff Lemire's work.

I haven't read it, but Brian Wood's The Massive just started up.
The Unwritten

Dark, rich stew of classic literature, fables, and magic. It's the book I wanted Fables to be.

i really want to read both sweet tooth and the unwritten but i'm gonna wait till they're all collected in a nice binding.

i'll look into the massive

Viewt

I've trimmed my pull list down pretty considerably in the last few months. I just don't really have the time to dedicate to dozens and dozens of comics anymore. So my weekly pull's gone from like 15-20 books a week to 3-5. I read:

DC
Animal Man
Batman
Justice League
Swamp Thing

Marvel
Fantastic Four
FF
Daredevil
Ultimate Spider-Man
Uncanny X-Force

Saga
The Manhattan Projects

There are also some miniseries here and there that I read (the latest AmVamp mini, AvX for some masochistic reason, a couple of the Before Watchmen minis, etc).

But yeah, I basically read in a month what I used to read in a week.

FoneBone

I know some of you may have overlooked it given the so-so earlier issues, but Justice League Dark has gotten quite good since Lemire took over with #9.

Mifune

Mehmber
Really the only stuff I'm up-to-date on and reading monthly:

The Manhattan Projects
Saga
Secret
Batman Inc.

Current in trades:

The Unwritten
Locke & Key

Garryk

i'm a little burnt out on both swamp thing and daredevil (powered through moore and bendis' run respectively)

i will definitely check out saucer country

Couple more I thought of in the break are Manhattan Projects (saw in Viewt's post) and Peter Panzerfaust.

EDIT: Forget Peter P. #5 is the last issue for awhile. Think the next one comes out in September.

bengraven

Holy shit, yo, I went to an actual comic shop on actual comic shipping day. First time in 12 fucking years.

And they had JUST got their shipment in, as in the delivery truck was blocking my way in, and hadn't started opening the boxes, so I just picked up SAGA #1 and The Massive #1.

Cool thing: I was in town for a job interview that was literally a block away from the comic shop, so if I get the job I'll be there every single Wednesday at 5:15pm sharp.

So I bit again on AvX because I walked in there today thinking Captain Marvel came out this week (oops)...how can this possibly end with Scott not being a ridiculous super-villain.

Beth Cyra

Thor punches her real hard and she falls to earth from Utopia. He flies towards her attempting to hit her again but she stops him, after a little debate an enraged Thor manages to shatter Emma's diamond form with Mjolnir and send it's pieces flying in the sky. The diamond shards fall back to earth in a rain of fire bombarding Thor as Emma fuses herself back again. Thor loses.

I should mention Emma is powered by the Phoenix. Only way for her to win this fight.

I know it doesn't sound much but the art is good.

Probaby just need to read it to get why it's so cool. Ending sounds like it would piss me off regardless though.

Will check it out later.

Harbinger #2 and Bloodshot #1 were both good.

The sheer amount of quality ongoing series launching this year has me crying. I'm not talking about tears of joy either. They're more the "I'm gonna need a third credit card" kind of tears.

Owzers

Secret Avengers #28
GL Corps #10
New Guardians #10

None of these are good books. Remender couldn't save an AvX tie-in, the phoenix burns too bright.

The wait for Walking Dead #100 is tough, must avoid spoilers for so long but the internets are out to get me.

As far as dropping stuff goes...i might rip off the Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Frankenstein band-aid in one swoop thanks to the zero issues. I'd keep frank since i like it, but it's getting a 3 issue Rot tie-in from 13 on.

ELAMOR

what happened?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

shit i did not expect what happened

tumblr_m6mbg0rUxo1qhn5tf.gif

Harbinger #2 and Bloodshot #1 were both good.

The sheer amount of quality ongoing series launching this year has me crying. I'm not talking about tears of joy either. They're more the "I'm gonna need a third credit card" kind of tears.

The Valiant titles seem to be made with a lot of quality care so far. And my most anticipated one is Archer and Armstrong!

And brah is right about Scarlet Spider, Yost is a fun writer and the book was incredible with Stegman. So dynamic and fluid.

Was Punk Rock Jesus any good? The preview sucked. I hope DC formally announces the Cyborg series at SDCC. What are you hoping is announced?

Loxley

This is a bit random, but could anyone recommend me some good Dr. Strange arcs/trades? He's one Marvel character I've never familiarized myself with and figured since I've got some free time during the summer I'd try to read some of his prominent stories if possible.

Man, I wonder if my shop gets annoyed when I make visual notes in the store?

Well how else am I supposed to tell what (Insert Character) is wearing this month?!

Back to the drawing board. . .

"I was a deeply troubled child... I liked to draw."

This issue of WatXM was great, probably the best it's been since the AvX takeover began. I want more of the new Warbird pronto, Aaron. And Bradshaw doesn't miss a beat; that Phoenix/Gladiator fight was brutal, and the aftermath... holy cow.

And Benjamin... I am so, so sorry. :(

Just read WatXM and I also enjoyed it. That book's got heart, man.

Also, looooove Nick Bradshaw's art. Dude's got that Ed McGuinness gene.

"I was a deeply troubled child... I liked to draw."

This issue of WatXM was great, probably the best it's been since the AvX takeover began. I want more of the new Warbird pronto, Aaron. And Bradshaw doesn't miss a beat; that Phoenix/Gladiator fight was brutal, and the aftermath... holy cow.

And Benjamin... I am so, so sorry. :(

Well,
he died the way he lived. Fucking.

OSHAN

Warning HUGE Uncanny X-Force 27 spoilers!

I can't believe Remender had the guts to kill Fantomex! My favorite character on the series...

At first I felt like he was the obvious choice for a sacrifice, but after what he endured in the otherworld arc I thought he was safe for awhile.

Remender did such a wonderful job on him, I refuse to believe he was offed like that. That's gotta be something more to it hopefully he'll be back in some way...

It just makes my hate for Daken stronger! Logan has to kill him!

God damnit, what a great book!

Wolverine should have just let Punisher incase him in cement. Problem solved.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it, and I dare you to challenge me:

Chew: Secret Agent Poyo is the greatest comic book to ever star a chicken

come at me, bro

X-Force

Did Fantomex's death seem hollow to anyone else? I really didn't feel anything. I felt more sorry for Eva knowing she could have been evolving had she not been a slave to Fantomex. And for Genesis. I do regret they killed him instead of one of the other characters who have been around forever. We need new blood to be explored and given the chance to become A-Tier.

Cth

Not sure if this is the right place for it or not, but on the off chance anyone is willing to answer...

If you could move a character to MAX or Vertigo who wouldn't pick and why? Who'd have the most potential for each imprint?

X-Force

Did Fantomex's death seem hollow to anyone else? I really didn't feel anything. I felt more sorry for Eva knowing she could have been evolving had she not been a slave to Fantomex. And for Genesis. I do regret they killed him instead of one of the other characters who have been around forever. We need new blood to be explored and given the chance to become A-Tier.

I was left hollow if that's what you mean. I've had seven pints of ice cream since but it hasn't worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom