• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just ordered Absolute All-Star Superman. Had to do it. Never bought one of these oversized dealies before, and this seemed like a good place to start.

Revival is officially GREAT.

WOW.

I' ve been tellin' brahs about it but they won't listen. This brah fucker wrote circles around anyone that has ever done a zombie storyline. More creativity, heart, energy and story than all 100 bore issues of TWD. Kirkman is a writer, Seeley is a fuckin' storytelling artist. Make Tupac look like the Iron Sheik make him humble.

Gary Whitta, I'm comin' for you brah. Nobody tells me not to call them brah.

Fucking Ed McGuinness is destroying his entire career by only drawing books written by that hack.

Tragic.

Nah.

He still had crazy lines at Heroes Con.

He and Loeb, and friends, cranked out one of the most fun Marvel comics in ages with the first 25 issues of Rulk.

I'll give Nova a shot.

Parker can be writing the best god damn Hulk story ever. I wouldn't know because book looks like utter shit after those first 25 GODLIKE issues.

you talking about Jeph Loeb? He sells a ton of books, i dunno how that's destroying your career

The Internet hates Rulk. The sales of the Loeb run clearly demonstrate Loeb Rulk > Parker Rulk.

you talking about Jeph Loeb? He sells a ton of books, i dunno how that's destroying your career

Because when McGuinness is old and unable, he will look back at his body of work and all he will see is shit books.

In other words, I meant destroying his career creatively, not financially.

(to be fair, I liked early Loeb/McGuinness books)

Sandman prequel mini-series announced for November 2013, OH FUCK YEAAAAAHHH

Meh.

I'll wait another 20 years for Warner Brothers to hire guys that aren't Neil Gaiman to reheat the left overs. ^_^

Are you being facetious when equating sales and quality?

Parker took a turd and masterfully crushed it into a diamond.

No, but I am saying the first 25 GODLIKE issues of Rulk > Parker Rulk from what I read.

Sorry bro, but Parker apologizing to all the crybaby fan bitches in the first few issues left a bad taste in my mouth in addition to the fugly pictures.

Hey what's going on here?! :O

whatwhat001.gif

Back to making burritos. Then making a mess. :3

bengraven

You may not want to read this until you're done with 100 although you already saw the spoiler. After reading the spoiler I told myself
well, maybe he just had it really rough this issue. Maybe ***** dies in front of him. Maybe everyone but ****** dies and he's left completely fucked but alive. Lots of things could make someone say "poor ******."

Right. I remember reading a very popular fantasy book series and seeing a spoiler that said "poor ____". I was like "oh fuck he/she's going to die" but instead the person ends up crippled.

Also, I read the issue just now and :(.

Owzers

I really liked the first two issues of Loeb Rulk, mainly thanks to the art. After that though, the Loeb compiled and destroyed the book. Bendis and Loeb have occupied a lot of artists i like for years now, i'm glad Hickman Avengers gets them now.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Oh it's no biggie. And for lessors, insert most of the newer indie books that are at 1-2 issues that are splooged over. ;)

The Massive was boring to say the least, Morning Glories was terrible after the first 6(?) issues.

It's more jon bones "Standard cape fluff" nonsense when the same could be said about the "overhyped indie crap" that some are praising. There are great/terrible cape books and great/terrible indie books. Thinking one is automatically superior is a matter of taste and ultimately self-limiting.

Buying AvX and shitting on Snyder's work is almost smh material to my eyes.

But it's more like I said at first. Hmm.

i'm not saying indie books are automatically better than cape books - UXF is one of the best books out! i'm grateful it's not being shit on by AvX.

but if you think snyder's batman run is anything special, please tell me why you think so. i may be missing something but i doubt it.

Meh.

I'll wait another 20 years for Warner Brothers to hire guys that aren't Neil Gaiman to reheat the left overs. ^_^

No, but I am saying the first 25 GODLIKE issues of Rulk > Parker Rulk from what I read.

Sorry bro, but Parker apologizing to all the crybaby fan bitches in the first few issues left a bad taste in my mouth in addition to the fugly pictures.

Hey what's going on here?! :O

whatwhat001.gif

Back to making burritos. Then making a mess. :3

Just draw my comic brah, two dreams in one.

i'm not saying indie books are automatically better than cape books - UXF is one of the best books out! i'm grateful it's not being shit on by AvX.

but if you think snyder's batman run is anything special, please tell me why you think so. i may be missing something but i doubt it.

It's the morethanonetime anti-capes comments more than any absolute inherent quality of the Snyder run. Everyone has like/dislikes but it really gets old when comments like that diss a whole genre. It seems you're not intentionally doing it, so no hard no foul. I was just noticing it.

IMO Snyder's Bat run is the master of the buildup and cliffhanger -> resolution. He keeps one upping the situation and then makes it believable that Bats finds a way. That and his new additions to the Gotham Mythology have been new and again IMO special.

No one is right/wrong, I just squint my eyes a bit anytime someone disses a run I think is pretty stellar. No big either way, really.

I mean we're getting more Gaiman Sandman so it's like a fucking awesome comics holiday today!!!

EDIT:
A good comics buddy feels the next event coming soon (next year or so) considering the Sandman news and the success of Before Watchmen, is a redux of Kingdom Come for the New 52 verse. I think they could get Waid to do a true sequel/callback considering he hated the last one without him.

EDIT:
A good comics buddy feels the next event coming soon (next year or so) considering the Sandman news and the success of Before Watchmen, is a redux of Kingdom Come for the New 52 verse. I think they could get Waid to do a true sequel/callback considering he hated the last one without him.

that would be so much fun, but i don't think that would happen

Just draw my comic brah, two dreams in one.

Sorry brah, I have it on good authority from arteest GAF that I'm a hack on the run from the art police.

Soon the art police is going to catch up to me for not coddling, over working, and talking up my useless degree and send me to ART JAIL! :O

BACK TO COMMITTING CRIME!

Sorry brah, I have it on good authority from arteest GAF that I'm a hack on the run from the art police.

Soon the art police is going to catch up to me for not coddling, over working, and talking up my useless degree and send me to ART JAIL! :O

BACK TO COMMITTING CRIME!

The missing link here is not talent, as there are plenty of talented artists (yourself included). The missing link is the motivation and drive to put yourself out there and complete the effort.

I have a very good friend that is easily as good as the mid-to-high tier of working creators. If he put as much effort into actually applying himself and knocking down doors, as he does complaining about the industry/complaining about not working in the industry, he would have had a career and a following by now.

So much wasted talent. =(

The missing link here is not talent, as there are plenty of talented artists (yourself included). The missing link is the motivation and drive to put yourself out there and complete the effort.

I have a very good friend that is easily as good as the mid-to-high tier of working creators. If he put as much effort into actually applying himself and knocking down doors, as he does complaining about the industry/complaining about not working in the industry, he would have had a career and a following by now.

TTOB brah inspired me by saying I was going to write it anyway, might as well go full force. I refuse brahs like Kirkman and Whitta define this industry in the mainstream. I'm better and I'll prove it.

ElNarez

Banned
EDIT:

No they couldn't get Waid. He's super fine working at not-DC.

The art I've seen in the first arc of the current Incredible Hulk series has convinced me that anyone can make it into comics.

Silvestri has fallen so far since his hey day. Almost as bad as Whilce Portacio's decline.

No they couldn't get Waid. He's super fine working at not-DC.

Haha! Of course they could. I'd feel he'd want the story done right and would say yes in a second. Especially after seeing the amazing Before Watchmen numbers!

TTOB brah inspired me by saying I was going to write it anyway, might as well go full force. I refuse brahs like Kirkman and Whitta define this industry in the mainstream. I'm better and I'll prove it.

Seriously, DO IT! No shitting around. Full force, balls to the wall.

Oh.

Things are happening, but like the Cenobites - This isn't for your eyes!

All arteest GAF has taught me is that Socrates was right:

An education obtained with money is worse than no education at all.

I still recall some neophyte with a degree his parents paid for trying to run in on Arthur Adams a few years back. Shit was hilarious, but you can't tell these fucking kids they're morons because they've paid for years of "positive reinforcement" courtesy of our capitalist "education" system. They get shat out with a disproportionate level of self worth in relation to their actual skill.

Oh.

Things are happening, but like the Cenobites - This isn't for your eyes!

All arteest GAF has taught me is that Socrates was right:

I still recall some neophyte with a degree his parents paid for trying to run in on Arthur Adams a few years back. Shit was hilarious, but you can't tell these fucking kids they're morons because they've paid for years of "positive reinforcement" courtesy of our capitalist "education" system. They get shat out with a disproportionate level of self worth in relation to their actual skill.

I will buy, and shill the shit out of your work. Do this.

Hate to break this to you, but Waid burned whatever bridges he had left at DC when he trashed DiDio in a 2009 AICN interview (which has seemingly been taken down for some reason); he also has bad blood with Bob Harras dating back to when they were both at Marvel. There's a reason why he wasn't asked to write the Flash Retro/Active 90s one-shot, despite being the obvious choice for it.

He's never working at DC again, not without a complete change in the editorial regime.

Hate to break this to you, but Waid burned whatever bridges he had left at DC when he trashed DiDio in a 2009 AICN interview (which has seemingly been taken down for some reason); he also has bad blood with Bob Harras dating back to when they were both at Marvel. There's a reason why he wasn't asked to write the Flash Retro/Active 90s one-shot, despite being the obvious choice for it.

He's never working at DC again, not without a complete change in the editorial regime.

Totally aware of all of that.
None of that matters if he says yes to the right deal.

I want you to write a comic if only to see how many times you'll slip the word brah in there.

Like a lot of GAF many are pompous, self-righteous people who haven't left the basement/college dorm for long enough to realize what life is actually like.

I'm sure there are a few bad apples in there, but I've found them a cool bunch. I'm really just wondering if he's ripping Art Gaf because of that one time someone criticized a chun li drawing he posted in there.

ElNarez

Banned
X-Force

Did Fantomex's death seem hollow to anyone else? I really didn't feel anything. I felt more sorry for Eva knowing she could have been evolving had she not been a slave to Fantomex. And for Genesis. I do regret they killed him instead of one of the other characters who have been around forever. We need new blood to be explored and given the chance to become A-Tier.

Looking back on the whole thing, and considering his past appearances, I think I've got three words for you.
Here Comes Tomorrow

TToB whats your beef with art gaf

Like a lot of GAF many are pompous, self-righteous people who haven't left the basement/college dorm for long enough to realize what life is actually like.

I'm sure there are a few bad apples in there, but I've found them a cool bunch. I'm really just wondering if he's ripping Art Gaf because of that one time someone criticized a chun li drawing he posted in there.

I've taken critiques from pros and survived. Anonymous persons on the Internet are water off a duck's back.

What irked me most about that incident were the assertions certain persons were making. I'm not a genteel arteest that nurses an illustration for days, or weeks. That's not saying I always lay a golden egg, but the reality of "you have X amount of time to complete this illustration" - what remains at the end of the 20 minute or six hour session is what it is.

I went to a life drawing class last week and spent the first three hours eating shit. Then in the final hour I swung for the fences and managed to pull out of the nose dive. That's just the way it is. You do what you have to do to get things done.

There will never be a more harsh critic of my work than myself, unlike that self aggrandizing twat I referenced earlier who ran-in on Arthur Adams - then tries to back it up by posting sequential pages that are just wildly amateurish. No line weight, no texture, weak storytelling, the list goes on and on. I really wish I saved that thread. Shit was comedy gold.

At this point my goal isn't to draw X or Y, or draw like Jim Lee/Arthur Adams/Alan Davis; but to just make money drawing.

I got about 30 years left in the tank. Somethings gotta give sooner or later.

Owzers

A lot of Simone's Secret Six is up on the Comixology sale due to Bane-involvement. Definitely recommend checking that out.

Tizoc

Hmm I might make a thread about that Secret Six sale if only to get GAFfers to see Bane at his best.

My book of the week was Transformers 81, DAT ENDING MAN!

Tizoc

Can somebody recommend some JL stories? I've enjoyed The Nail, Kingdom Come and the Morrison run

the 80s JL run by Keith Giffen...and also Formerly known as the Justice League and it's sequel I can't believe it's not the Justice League.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom