• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

I tried reading Spiderman (it's been a long time) starting with Slott's 'Big Time' after reading some recommendations here.

Man, I don't know.

It seems so...sloppy. Messy. Like it's just a word/idea dump vomited onto each page. There are some amusing moments, but it just seems like it lacks structure. I don't know. I'm going to try a few more issues, see if it grabs me.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Only one teacher gone? I don't understand how either Rachel or Bobby Drake would be allowed back into teaching young and aspiring minds into how to be massively gullible fuck-ups. I imagine Rachel will be the one 'kept' due to the need of a psychic on the team.

Will be good to have the book back from FUBAR, but reconciling all the AvX stuff is going to take some mighty cognitive dissonance.

Beth Cyra

Deadpool and Ghost Rider are the only two choices I want after that teaser.

Deadpool could bring the laughs, but I would probably go for Ghost just for the sheer WTF? of it.

ReiGun

Wolverine's gotten soft. Most of the teaching staff flatout ditched the school and fought against the Avengers, and he's just like, "No prob, brahs. We cool. Except you, [insert leaving teacher here]."

Beth Cyra

Wolverine's gotten soft. Most of the teaching staff flatout ditched the school and fought against the Avengers, and he's just like, "No prob, brahs. We cool. Except you, [insert leaving teacher here]."

Well Beast said at the start it was really him that would run the school and honestly what could Wolverine have done? Poor bastard was stuck right in the middle as both an X Men (hell leader of a half) and an Avenger.

Not saying it was handled all that great, but really I don't really see what Wolverine could have done to change any of it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Deadpool and Ghost Rider are the only two choices I want after that teaser.

Deadpool could bring the laughs, but I would probably go for Ghost just for the sheer WTF? of it.

probably teach them the value of life, and not to fuck up due to the penance stare being something you dont want to deal with.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I kinda wanted Storm to come over to Team Wolverine. She never really fit with Scott's insane "terrify the world and show them what monsters we are but that they need us" team and route forward than teaching students in a school which would seem much more like her element.

ReiGun

probably teach them the value of life, and not to fuck up due to the penance stare being something you dont want to deal with.
Yup. He'd just be like, "If you fuck up, I will find you and I will end you. I don't care what your powers are. You will not be able to stop me."

Then he'd take them out to watch him use Penance Stare on some poor bastard. It's be like a Marvel version of "Scared Straight".

I kinda wanted Storm to come over to Team Wolverine. She never really fit with Scott's insane "terrify the world and show them what monsters we are but that they need us" team and route forward than teaching students in a school which would seem much more like her element.
Storm was going to choose Team Logan if I recall, but Scott convinced her to stay as a "conscious" of sorts for his team.

Fat lot of good that did.

Beth Cyra

Well Storm was one of the most conflicted, in fact she had originally planned on going to the school and then Scott talked her out of it.

Given they are shifting Wolverine's team, I don't think it would be impossible to see Scott's shift as well. That and if they ever end the sham that is Storm/Panther marriage I could easily see her going back to the school.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Well Storm was one of the most conflicted, in fact she had originally planned on going to the school and then Scott talked her out of it.

Given they are shifting Wolverine's team, I don't think it would be impossible to see Scott's shift as well. That and if they ever end the sham that is Storm/Panther marriage I could easily see her going back to the school.

if they were to end that marriage, the school would be the best place for her.

Beth Cyra

if they were to end that marriage, the school would be the best place for her.

Storm could also be a great addition given the Young X Men are coming. As it is Storm was always one of best when it came to connecting with all those around her at the mansion for a long time, and did lead the team.

Having her there to help with them, especially Jean could be a great thing for both the young ones and Storm. Granted that depends on where the Young X Men end up falling into place.

FoneBone

Storm/Black Panther marriage has very little chance of surviving AvX, IMO. Marginally more than Scott and Emma, though.

Beth Cyra

Storm/Black Panther marriage has very little chance of surviving AvX, IMO. Marginally more than Scott and Emma, though.

I don't know if it will be AvX that will kill it or not. That said, what relationship has lasted all that long in Marvel aside from Reed/Sue and Peter/Marry Jane? Even these have on and off moments fairly often.

Then again the only real couple I really like in Marvel is Thor/Sif so I'm not exactly in the best place to judge the others.

I tried reading Spiderman (it's been a long time) starting with Slott's 'Big Time' after reading some recommendations here.

Man, I don't know.

It seems so...sloppy. Messy. Like it's just a word/idea dump vomited onto each page. There are some amusing moments, but it just seems like it lacks structure. I don't know. I'm going to try a few more issues, see if it grabs me.

huh. I really really love Slott's Spidey. But maybe it took an issue or two. I just have wonderful feelings for his entire run. Best Spidey's been, well ever IMO.

Pie and Beans

Ends of the Earth was a pretty damp squib. The 'new suit' was objectively terrible, and the whole thing never built up to anything feeling like something important. Globe trotting Spider-Man can't really be done in so few issues, although it could be an interesting angle to take. Slott gets a pass from me because Spider-Island was the most fun Spidey has been in a long long time.

Lizard three-parter (?) is alright, even though it kinda obviously feels like a Marvel mandate to coincide with the movie. Hawkeye leading the Secret Avengers also feels one of those terrible 'this movies out so...' mandates as Remender may have tried his best to write and sell the douche as a leader but it just really didn't work.

I didn't realise Uncanny X-Men was being shitcanned... so soon after coming back... that doesnt leave very many X-Men about beyond Bendis decompressed time travel garbage and WatXM, so AvX must have a pretty terrible ending for Scott's side. Might be for the best really, that shit had really spiralled out into too many directions, I never felt compelled to touch the terrible Rogue lead book.

Kizer

So I am actually really enjoying AvX. I think the story has been pretty fun so far despite the slow start I thought it had. The one and only thing that I find hard to read related to it right now is AvX vs. God that stuff is terrible.

Beth Cyra

Ends of the Earth was a pretty damp squib. The 'new suit' was objectively terrible, and the whole thing never built up to anything feeling like something important. Globe trotting Spider-Man can't really be done in so few issues, although it could be an interesting angle to take.

Lizard two-parter is alright, even though it kinda obviously feels like a Marvel mandate to coincide with the movie. Hawkeye leading the Secret Avengers also feels one of those terrible 'this movies out so...' mandates as Remender may have tried his best to write and sell the douche as a leader but it just really didn't work.

I didn't realise Uncanny X-Men was being shitcanned... so soon after coming back... that doesnt leave very many X-books beyond Bendis decompressed time travel garbage and WatXM. Might be for the best really, that shit had really spiralled out into too many directions, I never felt compelled to touch the terrible Rogue lead book.

Why is Rouge leading a book? Honestly didn't think the character was nearly popular enough given even She Hulk always gets her books canceled.

Ends of the Earth was a pretty damp squib. The 'new suit' was objectively terrible, and the whole thing never built up to anything feeling like something important. Globe trotting Spider-Man can't really be done in so few issues, although it could be an interesting angle to take.

Lizard two-parter is alright, even though it kinda obviously feels like a Marvel mandate to coincide with the movie. Hawkeye leading the Secret Avengers also feels one of those terrible 'this movies out so...' mandates as Remender may have tried his best to write and sell the douche as a leader but it just really didn't work.

I didn't realise Uncanny X-Men was being shitcanned... so soon after coming back... that doesnt leave very many X-books beyond Bendis decompressed time travel garbage and WatXM. Might be for the best really, that shit had really spiralled out into too many directions, I never felt compelled to touch the terrible Rogue lead book.

Can't agree. The story had weight and resolved the ongoing "no one dies" plotline.

Read The Boys #68. Wow. I know this is going down but wow, I am at the edge. Can't wait to see how this all wraps up, but I'm expecting to be very sad.

Can't believe they shelve Uncanny for a Bendis book. Brah can't even follow his own continuity that he creates, how is he gonna even attempt X continuity? Brah will get shelled by the X boards.

Who else thinks TWD is an absolute terrible comic? It's not gorey, it's not scary, it's survival, it's not even written, it's a complete bore. Hey wanna know how I feel, I won't show you, but I'll display it through an issues worth of monologues. Absolutely disgusting this is the face of independent comics. The only thing worse would be Whitta.

How is BWood gonna write all these comics? Two X books, The Massive, Conan, a soon to be announced Image title and Star Wars?

I still like TWD but I've liked it from the beginning. I'm way too invested in it as a fan to dwell on its shortcomings. I see them though.

Kizer

Couldn't really get into TWD as a comic. I only read the first few books and couldn't find the interest to continue. Not really sure what it is. I do remember feeling that the dialogue didn't work for me, though.

I dunno about that new Star Wars comic.

There's a reason movies aren't in real time. They jump from important moment to important moment. Now they're going to mine for bits of "story" in-between these moments. Well let me tell you, I'm not particularly interested in watching Luke change the oil on his X-Wing or Leia cook a batch of Wampa soup.

Of course that's not going to be what the comic is, which is why I'm worried it's going to feel forced. Tacking on action sequences that supposedly happened right under our nose.

Oh well. Anything can be good if done well, but I guess my point is that I'm not excited for it like everyone else seems to be.

LuCkymoON

Banned
They should have subscription model for back issues on a 6-12 month lag, and then sell the newer singles for $2 an issue digitally. Marvel's digital comics unlimited subscription service is pretty good, but it could be better. I think they currently add 100-125 new issues a month to the catalogue from a mixture of old and more recent runs. I would bump this to 150-175 issues a month, providing monthly updates to all ongoing series while continuing to digitize old 70s-00s stuff. They could raise the price slightly if they wanted. I'd pay $10 a month instead of $5 if I knew every marvel book would eventually be on there within a year. The few Marvel books I like reading and discussing day 1, I would still buy in digital singles. I would be buying more of these series if they were $2 a piece instead of $3-4.

It would be harder to do this sort of thing if your catalogue was creator owned like Image, but I am sure they could work it out.

Cross Gen had a digital subscription wayyy back. Years before Marvel ever did. All of their books were on there after 6 months or so. I read so many Cross gen books during the lifetime of that subscription. Granted they were only making $20-30 a year off of me (I don't remember the exact price, but I was a broke college student so it couldn't have been that high), but I would have paid $0 for Cross Gen books otherwise. I could barely afford the titles I was already following.

I actually had the life time sub to Crossgen Online. It was so ahead of its time; back issues had full audio tracks! I'm still sad they are not around. =(

LOL @ the new Batman and Robin preview. Damian vs Jason Todd. Look at all the fucks he gives.

KNUkL.jpg

Owzers

Also, why is there only one new series from Marvel in October? Need to see this shit already.

maybe SDCC surprises?

And i like walking dead, it's easily digestible ( heh ) and still offers up some intense/interesting moments, even if those occur less often than the stronger early issues. The book went on too long and it can feel a bit aimless, yet it's always at the top of my reading list.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I dunno about that new Star Wars comic.

There's a reason movies aren't in real time. They jump from important moment to important moment. Now they're going to mine for bits of "story" in-between these moments. Well let me tell you, I'm not particularly interested in watching Luke change the oil on his X-Wing or Leia cook a batch of Wampa soup.

Of course that's not going to be what the comic is, which is why I'm worried it's going to feel forced. Tacking on action sequences that supposedly happened right under our nose.

Oh well. Anything can be good if done well, but I guess my point is that I'm not excited for it like everyone else seems to be.

It's hard to get excited since that time period has already been heavily mined, as have the following 20+ years in the chronology. Whenever they try to squeeze in more adventures for the main cast, it just feels forced, especially when it always has to involve both the main good guys and main bad guys.

How many times can Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, etc. have an adventure that also directly or indirectly involves Darth Vader, the Emperor, Mara Jade or Thrawn?

The Star Wars EU is in a tough spot. They've been pretty good about actually developing the universe and its characters, but that has also left it hard to insert new stories with the elements most fans love. I know I tired of it after the NJO, and I got annoyed when that Legacy comic started which revealed where the universe would end up in ~150 years.

Maybe a reboot wouldn't be the worst thing ever... or just embrace non-continuity stories.

Quick

Banned
Just finished League of Extraordinary III: Century 2009.

Really short and pretty disappointing. What the hell was that, Alan Moore?

However, I do love
that Harry Potter is the Anti-Christ, and Haddo is Tom Riddle/Voldemort (from 1969). Harry going insane and killing everyone at Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, and the Hogwarts Express. The cameos of the 1st and 11th Doctor was pretty cool, too.

The Star Wars EU is in a tough spot. They've been pretty good about actually developing the universe and its characters, but that has also left it hard to insert new stories with the elements most fans love. I know I tired of it after the NJO, and I got annoyed when that Legacy comic started which revealed where the universe would end up in ~150 years.

Speaking personally, I barely read any Star Wars comic but I plan on reading Legacy eventually. To me that seems much more interesting than that upcoming Brian Wood book, because it can both be a part of the mythology that we grew up loving while being free to do its own thing without worrying about continuity, since it's so far out in the future.

I heard great things about it, too.

Owzers

Legacy is the only Star Wars book i ever got into so far, though i haven't read many. I'm 4 trades in and it's great :eek:

I was reading my old All-Star Superman #5 issue, and there was a hype-tastic two pages ad for WildC.A.T.S. by Grant Morrison and Jim Lee. I was like, how the hell did I never read that?

Looked it up, only one issue was ever released. Haha, fucking comics man. Huge marketing push for 22 pages that lead nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom