• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isak_Borg

Wondering what everyone's reaction to the Walking Dead & Uncanny X-men.

Loved Spider-men but think it'll read a lot better in trade like all of Bendis' work.

Batman & Robin had some crowbar fun and a dope final image

Batman was kind of meh court of the owls really didn't do anything for me.

It's on brahs. Gary Whitta is writing a new ongoing title with an artist doing for Image right now. Brah told me to not call him brah anymore. That shit don't fly with me. Each month I will update my progress on pitching my titles to Image and finding an artist in the Brony thread. Check out Revival, Hoax Hunters, Chew Poyo, Black Spider-man and White Spider-man teamup, Enormous, Wild Children, Bad Medicine and Bloodshot tomorrow.

PEACE

tm24

You can tell no reads Top Cow because no one is talking about the reboot they are going through right now. LOL

Wasn't Artifacts supposed to be a summer event? Its on issue 19 now. I like Ron Marz, but i didnt want to invest in an event at the time and now im wondering how long that book is gonna go

Wasn't Artifacts supposed to be a summer event? Its on issue 19 now. I like Ron Marz, but i didnt want to invest in an event at the time and now im wondering how long that book is gonna go

Top Cow is very hit or miss.

Right now Tim Seeley is righting the hell out of Witchblade. It's not highbrow entertainment, but I'm enjoying it.

Top Cow pissed me off when they abandoned the original Pilot Season format in favor of letting Robert Kirkman shit out a bunch of more Kirkman series for Pilot Season. Urban Myths should have gotten a monthly series - but I guess it didn't have enough titties for Top Cow. If you can find the one shot it's worth reading. Fun story. Cool art.

91435534135.1.GIF

Journey to New Athens — a modern-day world where humans still worship the Greek Gods and the Greek Gods still meddle in the lives of men. In this world, if you think your wife’s cheating on you, first you pray to Aphrodite for a way to win her back. If that doesn’t work, you hire Jack Medusa, private eye, to get the goods on film. Son of the infamous Medusa, Jack wears a metal mask to protect the people around him. He’s a social leper but a damn good P.I., and he takes on cases the police won’t touch.

T1tan

Neo Member
I'm interested in getting into The Punisher and like most people have been directed to reading Garth Ennis' run. Here's my question. There is a Punisher MAX run and a Marvel Knights TPB called 'Welcome Back Frank'.

Any suggestions on which one of these to read first? Is there a chronological order? (It's a shame that a new copy of the Ennis Omnibus is going for $500+ online otherwise I would have picked this up).

What do you recommend reading after Ennis' run?

boinx

I'm interested in getting into The Punisher and like most people have been directed to reading Garth Ennis' run. Here's my question. There is a Punisher MAX run and a Marvel Knights TPB called 'Welcome Back Frank'.

Any suggestions on which one of these to read first? Is there a chronological order? (It's a shame that a new copy of the Ennis Omnibus is going for $500+ online otherwise I would have picked this up).

Jason Aaron's PunisherMAX run after Ennis and then the 616 Greg Rucka run.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
great pull today!!

Batman 11
UXF 27
WATXM 13 (50/50 chance it'll be awesome or it'll blow)

but most importantly

SECRET AGENT POYO.... this chicken is bad ass

The Knights run came before the Max run, but there's really no continuity and the tone between the two books is very different.

Nothing.

You stop.

Ennis has penned the definitive Frank Castle story.

Man, Nu52 Batman is really fun. Snyder does what Nolan tries to do, but also keeps the fun in it.

Things I don't like - Capullo uses really narrow borders, no gutters, so some panels can bleed together.

Also the book could use a Tom Orzechowski. The page with Batman escaping the exploding owls nest is almost completely silent. Some good sound effects would just help sell it even more. :(

The Marquis and The Midwife!!! :D

Listening to Guy Davis interview on Fanboy Confidential.

Maybe now that Pacific Rim is further along in development Guy Davis can be back to drawing them funnies I so desire. :3

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
WatXM was kinda neat I guess? That sort of event induced character study fluff you get with cool things that wont be mentioned at all by the event itself in any way, but all in all much better stuff this week that I enjoy from this book than its been in a fair while. Warbird is a fun character. UXF was alright, but Remender's fetish for oddbod villain team-ups is getting a bit out of hand -- dramatic stuff though if certain things stick. Seems to have been doing more with WatXM's cast than it has for months at least. Venom was spiffy, worried about that after Remender leaves. Its been his most fresh feeling project, which brings me to...

Think this week clinches it though, Scarlet Spider is my favourite Marvel book of the now. I never expected to like Kaine of all people. The book is just so... fun. The right way to do a 'new' Spider-Man.

A very good week, well done comics! Now cancel all the above in the shake up so I can hate you again.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering if anyone can help me out here.

I wanted to pick up some new graphic novels. I'm pretty new with this, I only have a few but right now I'm looking specifically for Batman related stuff.

I have The Dark Knight Returns already, but I haven't read it yet. I was thinking of picking up Year One and Arkham City as well.

So, my question is what are some of the other Batman graphic novels that are considered to be the best of the best?

Also my only experience with graphic novels has been Watchmen, V for Vendetta and some of the older Ultimate Spider-Man stuff.

So, I was just wondering what everyone here recommends for Batman, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

jon bones

I have The Dark Knight Returns already, but I haven't read it yet. I was thinking of picking up Year One and Arkham City as well.

So, my question is what are some of the other Batman graphic novels that are considered to be the best of the best?

Year One and DKR are great. Check out Snyder's Detective Comics The Black Mirror, as well as The Long Halloween.

So, I was just wondering what everyone here recommends for Batman, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

The first volume of the new 52 Batman series by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, "The Court of the Owls" is pretty great

I also recommend the collection of Snyder's prior Batman work, "The Black Mirror".

I'm not sure if either will go down as "all time greats", but I've really enjoyed both.

8bit

Knows the Score

Arkham Asylum, Killing Joke, Knightfall.

Alright thanks for the recommendations! I'll check those out.

Also - is there a graphic novel TDKR was based off of? I'd like to read something related to it or Bane if there's anything good.

Knightfall introduces Bane, IIRC.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

Also - is there a graphic novel TDKR was based off of? I'd like to read something related to it or Bane if there's anything good.

boinx

It's looking like it's a mixture of already mentioned titles which are Knightfall, No Man's Land and Dark Knight Returns

I had a feeling that's who the Brotherhood of Evil Mutant leader would be. This seems to be a very personal story for Wolverine, so why not, right? He's got the money, the resources, the vendetta, and the connections.

JJD

Warning HUGE Uncanny X-Force 27 spoilers!

I can't believe Remender had the guts to kill Fantomex! My favorite character on the series...

At first I felt like he was the obvious choice for a sacrifice, but after what he endured in the otherworld arc I thought he was safe for awhile.

Remender did such a wonderful job on him, I refuse to believe he was offed like that. That's gotta be something more to it hopefully he'll be back in some way...

It just makes my hate for Daken stronger! Logan has to kill him!

God damnit, what a great book!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Arkham Asylum, Killing Joke, Knightfall.

Knightfall introduces Bane, IIRC.

It's looking like it's a mixture of already mentioned titles which are Knightfall, No Man's Land and Dark Knight Returns

Okay cool, I'll probably end up getting Year One and Knightfall first then. Really interested in the others too, I'll be picking up most of them gradually. Thanks!

speedline

Banned
All right Snyder
way to wind the story down with the ambiguous conclusion of "I don't think he is, be he still thinks he is, but I think he is mistaken, but he think he is right, we will deal with this again later"
ending.

JJD

AVX VS is ridiculous.

Emma vs. Thor is the only fight I've liked until now.

Psylocke vs. Daredevil was a joke as usual...

This book could have been good, but as it is it was just disappointment after disappointment.

tm24

Top Cow is very hit or miss.

Right now Tim Seeley is righting the hell out of Witchblade. It's not highbrow entertainment, but I'm enjoying it.

Top Cow pissed me off when they abandoned the original Pilot Season format in favor of letting Robert Kirkman shit out a bunch of more Kirkman series for Pilot Season. Urban Myths should have gotten a monthly series - but I guess it didn't have enough titties for Top Cow. If you can find the one shot it's worth reading. Fun story. Cool art.

91435534135.1.GIF

Holy shit, we enjoyed the same book! I really liked that book and Pilot Season in general. I wonder why Faeber didnt try Urban Myths anywhere else

jon bones

WATXM was... alright. I don't even know. My only exposure to AvX is through WATXM and I'm already exhausted by it.

Beth Cyra

AVX VS is ridiculous.

Emma vs. Thor is the only fight I've liked until now.

Psylocke vs. Daredevil was a joke as usual...

This book could have been good, but as it is it was just disappointment after disappointment.

Didn't see this, how did it play out?

JJD

Didn't see this, how did it play out?

Thor punches her real hard and she falls to earth from Utopia. He flies towards her attempting to hit her again but she stops him, after a little debate an enraged Thor manages to shatter Emma's diamond form with Mjolnir and send it's pieces flying in the sky. The diamond shards fall back to earth in a rain of fire bombarding Thor as Emma fuses herself back again. Thor loses.

I should mention Emma is powered by the Phoenix. Only way for her to win this fight.

I know it doesn't sound much but the art is good.

Mafro

Yet another poor issue of WATXM dragged down by this bloody AvX event.
Couldn't care less about Warbird, so was pretty annoyed to find out the entire issue revolved around her.

jon bones

oh snap i didn't even realize American Vampire mini has a new issue out this week. if you guys like Batman, you really should be reading Snyder's AV as well.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I thought this was one of the better WAtXM issues so far actually. Can't agree with the complaint that AvX drags this down because the issue focused on a character they introduced at the beginning of the series. Did you expect her never to get any backstory?

So... how about that big reveal in Venom #20?

Btw, I'm an idiot who only figured out this week that the Betty Brant I've been reading about for 20 issues is that character:

Elizabeth_Banks-betty_brant.jpg

Which is pretty cool since I have a mad crush for Elizabeth Banks.

jon bones

yea but i don't feel like complaining about it every month. i dropped it along with fables finally. trimmed up my pull list to:

american vampire
batman
chew
fatale
mind the gap
morning glories
prophet
saga
uxf

with random release titles: locke and key, orc stain, casanova and witch doctor

anyone got ONE more monthly i should add? i don't mind if i have to get trades to catch up. something different from what i'm reading already but just as quality.

Garryk

AmVam and Batman, but no Swamp Thing? I would always recommend Waid's Daredevil. Saucer County is pretty good if you don't want heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom