• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Good point. I'm getting spoiled by going digital. I forgot about the struggles of floppy searching. It's still my favorite series going right now. To pull on the "outskirts of capes" theme then I'd throw a vote for Gotham Central. My favorite police comic book out there. Great stuff.

Fuck yeah, GC is amazing. I forget that as a good 'human' book.

Not even the worst example any more:
g7XWq.jpg

Comic book, Bendis, you are writing a comic book.

I'd blame the letterer too.

He should have used multiple daisy chained word balloons like the good old days instead of copy / pasting from Bendis's script into his fucking lettering software. :|

Chairhome

Not even the worst example any more:
g7XWq.jpg

Comic book, Bendis, you are writing a comic book.

I don't see a problem with the panel. When I read it, I read it like he was condensing a huge explanation in a short span of time in one breath. Its not even out of character for him (though I say this having not read regular Spider-Man in ages).

So are they melding the Ultimate and 616 universes or something? Or is that Fury's long lost son on the right hand side? Lots of costume changes too...weird.

I love how
Spider-Man is all "Yup. Nothing to see here."

Marvel is smart.

Sorry for the most basic question in comics, but...

I have a new iPad. I have never read any comics. I'm kind of interested in reading some on my iPad. Where would I even start? I don't want to spend a lot of money just to find out if I like it at all.

Sorry for the most basic question in comics, but...

I have a new iPad. I have never read any comics. I'm kind of interested in reading some on my iPad. Where would I even start? I don't want to spend a lot of money just to find out if I like it at all.

Comixology has pretty much all publishers and tons of free stuff to get you started.

Owzers

Hmmm why is no one talking about Monkeybrain Comics launching on comixology today? I had to find out on the street ( randomly on my tablet), and the books look good too! Anyone try one yet?

And Chris Roberson is involved? His books' premise, Edison Rex, sounds a lot like Megamind movie, but i presume the comic will be better....a lot better.

Also Bandette:

tumblr_m6jnvrE3jf1qzw4uno1_500.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So are they melding the Ultimate and 616 universes or something? Or is that Fury's long lost son on the right hand side? Lots of costume changes too...weird.

That's apparently Fury's son. It's so hard to tell now. The real news is that Rocket Raccoon is on the team.

Hmmm why is no one talking about Monkeybrain Comics launching on comixology today? I had to find out on the street ( randomly on my tablet), and the books look good too! Anyone try one yet?

And Chris Roberson is involved? His books' premise, Edison Rex, sounds a lot like Megamind movie, but i presume the comic will be better....a lot better.

Also Bandette:

tumblr_m6jnvrE3jf1qzw4uno1_500.jpg

Beats me. People are the worst.

I didn't want to seem too self-promotional (lol yeah right) since the dude who writes my comic is launching his title there next week.

Owzers

But I don't want to just sort through free stuff. I want someone to recommend something to me. I know nothing. Well, I'm not too interested in Superman. That's about all I know.

Free cool stuff:

Atomic Robo FCBD issues, there's two of them
30 Days of Night #1
Girls #1
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 ( allegedly it's good....)
Walking Dead #1
Invincible #1
Chew #1
Pax Romana #1
Red Mass for Mars #1
Severed #1
Skullkickers #0
Halcyon #1
Transhuman #1
actually while looking at all the image free issues, i'm downloading some myself. Image has a ton of free #1 issues.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The names on the bottom left identify him as Nick Fury? So Nick Fury's son is Nick Fury? Do I even want to know?

I don't fucking know either. Someone tried to explain it to me in the other thread, and it sounded dumb to me, too. Sounds like a lame attempt to create parity with the movies. Every time I want to return to Marvel, I see what's happening next and it looks stupid to me.

I'm sure that's stupid of me to say, seeing as I'm eating up New 52 right now.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The names on the bottom left identify him as Nick Fury? So Nick Fury's son is Nick Fury? Do I even want to know?

A guy called Marcus Johsnon over the course of like 5 pages in the last issue of a miniseries got an eyepatch for the eye he lost the previous issue, singed his hair, grew a goatee and found out his legal name is actually Nick Fury Jr. So no, you don't even wanna know.

thetrin

A guy called Marcus Johsnon over the course of like 5 pages in the last issue of a miniseries got an eyepatch for the eye he lost the previous issue, singed his hair, grew a goatee and found out his legal name is actually Nick Fury Jr. So no, you don't even wanna know.

That's actually more stupid than I expected.

This is why I stick to Cosmic Marvel.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask in but is there any good comics like Preacher, Y the last man, the walking dead, DMZ? I need something new to read but have no clue whats good out right now.

I'd suggest Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis. Great series, and it's all done and collected.

It chronicles the battles of Spider Jerusalem, infamous renegade gonzo journalist of the future, a homage to gonzo journalism founder Hunter S. Thompson. Spider Jerusalem dedicates himself to fighting the corruption and abuse of power of two successive United States presidents; he and his "filthy assistants" strive to keep their world from turning more dystopian than it already is while dealing with the struggles of fame and power, brought about due to the popularity of Spider via his articles.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

ohhhh thats what they did with that guy...kind of a waste if they were just going to use that to make Ultimate Fury.

Owzers

Uncanny Avengers by Remender and John mothafuckin' Cassaday

Sweet Christmas

I'm going to pretend this is a rumor and not true, but if true....FINALLY CASSADAY ARTWORK ON A BOOK I'LL BUY!

But with Marvel i'm guessing Cassaday is only on for the first 3 issues just for hype and then Greg Land will take over.

Artist announcements are meaningless these days :(

I'm going to pretend this is a rumor and not true, but if true....FINALLY CASSADAY ARTWORK ON A BOOK I'LL BUY!

But with Marvel i'm guessing Cassaday is only on for the first 3 issues just for hype and then Greg Land will take over.

So true. Remember Robbi Rodriguez, "regular" Uncanny X-Force artist? :(

Indeed. But those first three issues are gonna be glorious!

JJD

Bleeding Cool has some details for the Marvel refresh/whatever it is. The leaked image is roster for Uncanny Avengers, which will be their flagship book and have X-Men and Avenger types on the same team. Bendis' X-Men book is the original five as teenagers who traveled forward in time to the current Marvel/Marvel Now! continuity.

WTF...

I hate Bendis trademarked "teenager talk"...

Can't he write anything else anymore? What happened to the Bendis who used to write Daredevil and other crime stories???

Owzers

I was avoiding all the articles until i read AvX #5 and 6: Countdown 4 hours, but that Bendis premise is scary. It could easily end up with every character talking like Spider-Man, especially since they are teenagers and its Bendis, along with 10 issues equating to 3 issues of story content had they been done by someone else. I'm more curious than interested.

I kind of agree with Spike. I mean - I'm not talking about killing Penguin or Dent. Just him. And because... he took me away from you.

Oooh they are collecting the original series! I just dragged out my old issues, of all three runs.

Trade paperback
Animated shorts
New series!

Amethyst!

Sadly it sounds like the trade is one of the black and white Showcase editions.

Yup, and it covers the first and most of the second run.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: AMETHYST, PRINCESS OF GEMWORLD VOL. 1 TP
Writers: Dan Mishkin and Gary Cohen 
Artists: Ernie Colon, Ric Estrada, Pablo Marcos, Alex Saviuk, Bob Smith, Gary Martin, Romeo Tanghal, Kurt Schaffenberger and Karl Kesel
 Collects: LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #298, AMETHYST, PRINCESS OF GEMWORLD #1-12, AMETHYST ANNUAL #1, DC COMICS PRESENTS #63 and AMETHYST #1-11 
$19.99 US, 648 pg

I'm hoping for a full color reprint of just the first maxi-series. Maybe if Sword of Sorcery lasts.

I was wondering if anyone had a page from a Marvel comic a few years back, or at least knew where it was from.

It was at least four years ago since it was published, and the page became popular online. It featured a meeting of guys around a boardroom table, discussing evil things they'd done. Then Norman Osborn walks in with a big creepy smile and says something that silences everyone, from how evil it was.

No idea what book it was from.

I was wondering if anyone had a page from a Marvel comic a few years back, or at least knew where it was from.

It was at least four years ago since it was published, and the page became popular online. It featured a meeting of guys around a boardroom table, discussing evil things they'd done. Then Norman Osborn walks in with a big creepy smile and says something that silences everyone, from how evil it was.

I believe that was a Dark Reign book, maybe the one shot, Dark Reign: The List

OR it could have been from the last issue of Secret Invasion

Sounds like an issue of Spider-Man's Tangled Web, an anthology series Marvel published about a decade ago. Not sure which number, though.

Owzers

Good: DCBS order arrived, though a few books were not in perfect shape....i got to read AVX #5 and #6!!!!!!!!

Bad: AvX #5 and #6. There is barely a story here. Six issues in and they recycled the same plot point from the first issue, or two issues, or whoever cares how many issues this story will be needlessly told in.
Hey, the Avengers talk a lot around a table and then go to Utopia to get Hope. That's entirely new and awesome.
I'm disappointed, this book reminds me of Flashpoint, except Marvel Greed made it 12 issues where Johns spared fans his mediocrity by only making 5 pointless issues just to relaunch their universe.

Owzers

Edison Rex #1, Chris Robinson's Monkeybrain Comics comixology exclusive thing was a good read. It's 99 cents and started off with a neat idea, i don't ask for much more.

Marvel relaunch. LOl comics. That's why I don't read comics anymore. Hope Squirrel Girl finally gets a series and they get back to me on my pitch for a Carlie Cooper series.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Sadly it sounds like the trade is one of the black and white Showcase editions.

Yup, and it covers the first and most of the second run.

I'm hoping for a full color reprint of just the first maxi-series. Maybe if Sword of Sorcery lasts.

I don't really understand the point of these black and white reprints. Who are these people who care about old/obscure characters and are willing to read them without the color? There have been a bunch of Showcase collections that interest me, but I have no desire to read them in a way that's so far from the original work.

I really need to see more three dollar books out of this if they are going to get me to read comics again.

I got my Aqualad, Blue Beetle and Cyborg action figs in today. Now I'm really disappointed the JY toy line was cancelled. Lots of cool stuff with this Aqualad fig and would love to see what they would have done with Lagoon Boy, Beast Boy, Vox, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom