• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

The bolder sold me. I'll report back.

Franziska is totally best girl, btw.
:)
Ales Kot

https://twitter.com/ales_kot/status/591824295262728192

@ales_kot: (By the way, I love The Dark Knight Strikes Again and consider it one of the most fascinating, entertaining and raw comics of the 00's)

I have to read this eventually.

Edit.

@ales_kot: To people asking about why I love the Dark Knight Strikes Back, one of the most culturally reviled comics of the past twenty years:

@ales_kot: TDKSB is punk as fuck, the aesthetic of it is totally raw and primal, it has more energy than most comics ten times its size.

@ales_kot: TDKSB takes lo-fi aesthetics into mainstream comics with courage and excitement. It's brutalist-Molly pop art.
I've never read it myself but I remember frye saying something similar. It sounds truly fascinating.

Ales Kot

@ales_kot: (By the way, I love The Dark Knight Strikes Again and consider it one of the most fascinating, entertaining and raw comics of the 00's)

Edit.

@ales_kot: To people asking about why I love the Dark Knight Strikes Back, one of the most culturally reviled comics of the past twenty years:

@ales_kot: TDKSB is punk as fuck, the aesthetic of it is totally raw and primal, it has more energy than most comics ten times its size.
Good thing it will be included in the The Dark Knight Returns Deluxe HC releasing later this year.

Good thing it will be included in the The Dark Knight Returns Deluxe HC releasing later this year.
I never thought it was great but I didn't think it was that bad. I did enjoy seeing people who loved DKR meltdown over it. But that's because DKR batman isn't the aged batman I enjoy (even if it's still a good story). Kingdom come bats is my favorite

also it's been done before

6Ffa9oO.jpg

Ouch.

Ales Kot

Edit.

@ales_kot: TDKSB takes lo-fi aesthetics into mainstream comics with courage and excitement. It's brutalist-Molly pop art.
Not even Ales Kot can get me excited enough about DKSB to actually buy it. Too many other good comics to buy instead

frye

Ales Kot

Edit.

:)

I've never read it myself but I remember frye saying something similar. It sounds truly fascinating.

DKSA is worth it if only for the fact that it's when Lynn Varley (who to me is still the great American comics colourist) discovered photoshop and went hog fuckin wild with it. No one not named Tom Scioli now would make the choices she made there, and probably for the best because I doubt they could pull it off. Just crazy gradients and neon everywhere.

As a comic though -- it's in many ways DKR's alternate self. Where DKR is all tight, structured panels and a controlled line and a restrained palette, DK2 is big, bold panels and big, bold lines, and some of the craziest colouring put to print. If you believe that Miller somehow buried the Silver Age in DKR, DK2 is him excavating it and rediscovering the joy of superheroes; where DKR is the work of a young man afraid of growing old, DK2 is the work of an old man who wants to feel young again. And the ending is just so fucken greattt

Here is a cool post detailing how the design for DD's costume was updated a bit. I'd love to see more work from Joey Q. His work has only gotten better from what I've seen recently

Also, I know this has already been talked about extensively, but I read this post regarding the recent All New X-Men stuff and I think it's worth a read.

frye

Frye's post is so good it's making me want to reread SA which is a horrifying prospect. kudos

ha thanks. I can't take too much credit because a lot of it comes from me reading revisionist readings of DKSA before I read DKSA proper. There was a piece that's since been scrubbed off the internet it looks like but David B's pieces (1) (2) are still the high points of talking about that comic imo

Sandfox

Why did people in the MU randomly start looking up to Carol so much? I really don't understand the reasoning for picking her over so many other female heroes that would make much more sense if you aren't going to write a story to establish anything new.

MattyG

Banned
Just finished The Dark Knight Returns.

Wow.

WOW.

giphy.gif

That was an amazing book. That last chapter especially was fucking crazy.

Why did people in the MU randomly start looking up to Carol so much? I really don't understand the reasoning for picking her over so many other female heroes that would make much more sense if you aren't going to write a story to establish anything new.

Because comics always make sense. There's no reason to be found here, other than that this is what Marvel wanted to market. I mean, her costume is obviously classier these days than when she had her ass hanging out.

Nothing good to expect for the DCCU.

i think the future with those films is interesting, the future is very unknown with them whereas with marvel their movies feel...dependable but rarely above average for me. like i already know what to expect out of that particular franchise.

looking forward to xmen most of all out of all of these comic book films but honestly i really like how unexpected this new joker was, aside from the forehead tattoo and the ha's i'm cool with the rest, it was a surprise. wanna see footage and also their take on harley

initially i thought it was stupid but the prospect of a punk joker sounds cool to me.

Messi

All you guys that wanted a Zombie Tramp statue to go with your Zombie Tramp comics - this is your lucky day.

I read this comic :/

Messi!! CMX created a sale for you. The Stjepan Sejic sale! Sunstone! Aphrodite IX! Ravine! Rat Queens and more

https://www.comixology.com/Stjepan-Sejic-Sale/page/6306?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvbGFyZ2VDYXJvdXNlbA

Well this is awkward. I own everything in that sale lol

Everyone should pick up Death Vigil. It's charming and funny with great art. It's one of his solo projects.

Also Sunstone for 6ish dollars is almost theft. Pick it up. For me. I wouldn't lie to you.

i read azzarrello's wonder woman and really liked it but has his batman work been any good? like is there any reason to look forward to batman: the master race (lol)?

Started reading The Manhattan Projects after seeing so many mentions in this thread and others. Im only 5 chapters in and liking it well enough so far but I just cant get in to this art. Everyone's got such odd wide faces and the figures are crammed with an abundance of these scratchy detail lines. They make everyone look constantly dirty/nervous. The poses can be so stiff at times, too. It looks like a less appealing rugrats or aah real monsters cartoon.

I dont want to sound too down on it, though. I am digging the plot and theres been some very interesting character moments even this early on. But definetely a bit of a let down coming fresh off Southern Bastards, We Can Never Go Home, Wicked + Divine and Big Man Plans.

Tizoc

JokerwithDualKnives.jpg

this is what I thought they were gonna do once I heard it was leto.. but then they edgied it up x10

This one didn't have tatoos though :p
Well I like The Batman's Joker, so overall...eh I might like him depending on the performance.
EDIT: OK now this is better
CDbKyMTW8AAOZYO.jpg

Started reading The Manhattan Projects after seeing so many mentions in this thread and others. Im only 5 chapters in and liking it well enough so far but I just cant get in to this art. Everyone's got such odd wide faces and the figures are crammed with an abundance of these scratchy detail lines. They make everyone look constantly dirty/nervous. The poses can be so stiff at times, too. It looks like a less appealing rugrats or aah real monsters cartoon.

I dont want to sound too down on it, though. I am digging the plot and theres been some very interesting character moments even this early on. But definetely a bit of a let down coming fresh off Southern Bastards, We Can Never Go Home, Wicked + Divine and Big Man Plans.

That style of art took awhile to grow on me. Now I really enjoy the works of Frank Quietly, Chris Burnham, Ian Bertram, Nick Pitarra, aka the squiggly line artist.

Owzers

I read this comic :/

Well this is awkward. I own everything in that sale lol

Everyone should pick up Death Vigil. It's charming and funny with great art. It's one of his solo projects.

Also Sunstone for 6ish dollars is almost theft. Pick it up. For me. I wouldn't lie to you.

It's an awkward sale for how I buy digital. I was interested until I saw prices and details, death vigil 1-6 but the trade has eight issues, sunstone only two dollars less than the trade at Ist.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh hey, it's the weekend. I might actually read a couple issues of comics! I'm just a few issues away from finally finishing Alias (which I started in... January?), so maybe I'll be able to finish that.

Just finished The Dark Knight Returns.

Wow.

WOW.

That was an amazing book. That last chapter especially was fucking crazy.

Glad you enjoyed it! Definitely one of my all-time favorites.
I reeeeeally need to re-read it soon...

The live-action Captain Marvel (sorry, SHAZAM) should start exactly like that. Doe-eyed little homeless boy selling newspapers in the rain, along comes an old man in a trenchcoat who says "follow me little boy," all while ominous music plays.

Zombine

Banned
I hope I'm not the only one here who thinks that a Shazam movie would be better as a CG feature. He should be DC's Big Hero 6.

Could you imagine what a Jamie Hewlett drawn Captain Marvel would look like? Damn.

I hope I'm not the only one here who thinks that a Shazam movie would be better as a CG feature. He should be DC's Big Hero 6.

That would be pretty cool. I wish we were getting the Rock as Shazam instead of Black Adam. I don't want to root against The Great One.

I'm looking forward to the Spider-Man animated movie even though we know nothing about it.

tim1138

That would be pretty cool. I wish we were getting the Rock as Shazam instead of Black Adam. I don't want to root against The Great One.

I'm looking forward to the Spider-Man animated movie even though we know nothing about it.

Not gonna lie, I'd have zero problems with the Shazam movie becoming a Black Adam movie. Tell his story in ancient Kahndaq with gaining the Wizard's powers, becoming corrupt, and then sealed away from humanity. You can do end stinger of Sivana finding his tomb cut with Billy getting on the subway, fade to black as a voice yells out SHAZAM!

Not gonna lie, I'd have zero problems with the Shazam movie becoming a Black Adam movie. Tell his story in ancient Kahndaq with gaining the Wizard's powers, becoming corrupt, and then sealed away from humanity. You can do end stinger of Sivana finding his tomb cut with Billy getting on the subway, fade to black as a voice yells out SHAZAM!
I've only read Johns take of black Adam which was amazing. He sat perfectly in that shades of grey, where not a hero but not a straight up villian. Was this johns adding his own wrinkle or was this getting the character back to his core self? I know he was one of many Johns JSA reclamation projects

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Do any ComicGaffers have any of their own tattoos? I only have one.
That's a rad cheshire cat!

I've had the Scud-heart from Scud: The Disposable Assassin for years.
1222929-scud_the_disposable_assassin_08___black_magic_woman___01_326x500.png

It's kind of beat up, but I still love it, and that book is amazing.

I've been working on comic tattoo ideas for a while, but holy fuckballs do I not have the money for what I want to get.

Top Bottom