• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

MattyG

Banned
Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir review:

32355-Dayum-Dayum-DAYUM-Five-Guys-re-iuGN.gif
My trade pb just came in the mail like 5 minutes ago. Now I'm gonna have to read it ASAP.

Do I have to finish watching The Clone Wars first?

Hagi

As far as I know, the non-main Convergence books are just standalones told during the actual event. Should be fine.

Oh sweet, I don't really read DC outside of Batman and only really picked them up because of the novelty of using characters outside of the New 52. I picked up Batman and Robin, Superboy, Aquaman and Harley Quinn. I think I'll try and get The Question and Detective Comics next week.

started reading Ellis's Moon Knight

pretty awesome. And yes I know Ellis only lasts 6 issues >_>

I picked up the trade a while ago and loved it but had no real interest in following it when Wood took over. Not a big fan of his writing and he's a bit of a twat so I don't feel that cut up about dropping it. Looking forward to whatever Ellis is doing next with Marvel.

My trade pb just came in the mail like 5 minutes ago. Now I'm gonna have to read it ASAP.

Do I have to finish watching The Clone Wars first?

It picks up directly after Clone Wars and basically ties up his arc so yeah I wouldn't read it without finishing the episodes he's in.

Owzers

You guys weren't kidding about True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, I had bought it during the last big Dark Horse sale and i managed to only get eight pages in before fleeing. I think it's time to give it another try this weekend.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
You guys weren't kidding about True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, I had bought it during the last big Dark Horse sale and i managed to only get eight pages in before fleeing. I think it's time to give it another try this weekend.

It's atrocious. It's just this completely goofy extension of a My Chemical Romance album that tells no story worth telling. And the worst part is that there's all this "musicality" attempted to be interjected into it, but it all falls flat.

Just pretend Gerard Way only wrote one series: Umbrella Academy.

E: I think it was frye who said he was always amused or surprised at how interjecting music/lyrics-meant-to-be-read-as-music into comics never works well (I'm paraphrasing, I think), and this is like the prime example of that.

Reading Hawkeye on Marvel Unlimited; really enjoying it! A lot more so than Hickman's FF (I'll finish it eventually) or Superior Foes (I probably won't.)

Issue 10:
Grills, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It's atrocious. It's just this completely goofy extension of a My Chemical Romance album that tells no story worth telling. And the worst part is that there's all this "musicality" attempted to be interjected into it, but it all falls flat.

E: I think it was frye who said he was always amused or surprised at how interjecting music/lyrics-meant-to-be-read-as-music into comics never works well (I'm paraphrasing, I think), and this is like the prime example of that.

Music in comics almost always fails, at least to me. I have an idea on how it could work and I'm looking to put a music based comic together in the future.

This is now a ComicsGAF Secret Origins thread.

Here's my first comics post, back in 09. Spike wasnt even the one making the comics threads back then

Yeah, I was flipping through the Lemuria issue of Lil Depressed Boy and it stood out how clunky the live performance scene seemed

Finished my watching of the original Star Wars trilogy. Ahhh still so so awesome. I'm still holding out hope we get the movies in the original cut (with cleaned up look, audio,etc) before episode VII comes out. It's such easy money and a Disney PR move it's got to happen

of course SexCrims is the one exception. forgot about that dope scene.

my first post was a generic "hey guyzzz long time lurker here's a list k bye" in june '13

Music in comics almost always fails, at least to me. I have an idea on how it could work and I'm looking to put a music based comic together in the future.

Here's my first comics post, back in 09. Spike wasnt even the one making the comics threads back then

I always thought a visual story of NINs A Downward Spiral intertwined in the Year Zero world would be fascinating.

Always thought Mr. Self Destruct would be an awesome villain name.

Do you mean written songs in comics or are you thinking more laterally, along the lines of actual music playing with the flow of the page?

And then there this one, of course.

http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2009/11/20/200-ode-to-minions/

I kind of mean both I guess? When some music is shown in comics blaring out of a radio or something, I can't get with it. None of the music experience carries over to when I'm reading.

The link you sent me does some things right I think, but I think theres still something missing. I'm still developing the idea of how you can make it work. You bet Ill share it here when I've done part of it. I could also spectacularly fail at succeeding, so theres that possibility too.

I kind of mean both I guess? When some music is shown in comics blaring out of a radio or something, I can't get with it. None of the music experience carries over to when I'm reading.

The link you sent me does some things right I think, but I think theres still something missing. I'm still developing the idea of how you can make it work. You bet Ill share it here when I've done part of it. I could also spectacularly fail at succeeding, so theres that possibility too.

True, I haven't come across too many memorable instances of a comic where a song written out added a lot.

But the one exception for me is Strange Fruit in Blacksad: Arctic Nation. I though that was very well done.

xptoxyz

It's on my phone, my iPad, and my desktop. There could be a limit, but I haven't hit yet.

Nice, a little further does it deal ok with you opening a different comic on each device in case someone around you wants to read something while you're doing the same?

Squire

Banned
Nice, a little further does it deal ok with you opening a different comic on each device in case someone around you wants to read something while you're doing the same?

I'm not sure. That should be fine, but you'll need to try it. MU is kind of wonky, on iOS especially. It's not too bad, but u did need to restart my iPad last night.

PAGING HIJINKS-GAF!

Secret Wars gets romantic with Secret Love

They say "all's fair in love and war," and it looks like some Marvel characters are getting some love during Secret Wars.

At Saturday's "Secret Wars: Battleworld" panel at Chicago's C2E2, Marvel announced a new one-shot titled Secret Wars: Secret Love. The series, set for release in August, is an anthology-style book featuring romances with the All-New Ghost Rider and Ms. Marvel as well as a love-triangee between Daredevil, Karen Page and Matt Murdock.

The full list of stories is not available, but creators involved include Felipe Smith, Michel Fiffe, Katie Cook, Jeremy Whitely and Gurihiru.

Aw, don't cry Kamala. You're too good for him anyways.

Top Bottom