• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Messi

Omg please tell me (ant man spoilers I suppose)
Is Evangeline Lilly is Wasp?

post-41073-Frozen-excited-Anna-gif-Imgur-40XC.gif

ElNarez

Banned
Kelly Thompson is co-writer on that Captain Marvel Secret Wars mini, so I'm guessing she's taking over when Kelly Sue leaves post-SW, which kinda sorta seems inevitable considering she's probably in the planning stages for the pool that's gonna get all that Bitch Planet money.

Messi

Kelly Thompson is co-writer on that Captain Marvel Secret Wars mini, so I'm guessing she's taking over when Kelly Sue leaves post-SW, which kinda sorta seems inevitable considering she's probably in the planning stages for the pool that's gonna get all that Bitch Planet money.

I am perfectly OK with Kelly Thompson taking over.

FeD.nL

So with the apparent succes of Daredevil what are the chances Vol.1 of the Bendis/Maleev omnibus getting reprinted. Really want to get my hands on that one.

Yesterday I went to pick up the Planet Hulk and Age of Apocalypse True Believers issues and I saw Chew Volume One and bought it on a whim because it looked interesting.

Holy hell, is it good. I really like it and I'm very tempted to go back and pick up the three other volumes they had but I already spent a lot of money on albums, comics and some storage cubes for my vinyl this weekend.

I read a bunch of Earth 2 and Earth 2 - World's End. And I really regret it. Just terrible, terrible stuff.

Robinson had a great start and Taylor had some decent moments. World's End I was just riding because I love the characters. Hopefully the new writer gets it right.

Xmen dont fight as a team enough in the movies.
That wuerd future stuff was sort of doing it though.

Perfect encapsulation of what's wrong with this dreck. When something like the Avengers has a team work together, it's earned it with hours of characterization and conflict. This just plops a bunch of effects in the same place and expects us to give a shit.

It's kind of surprising in retrospect that DC isn't leveraging all the hours of characterization it's got in its television properties and just starting all over again in the movies. Weird, man.

"No, you know who Bishop is. Explaining his powers or backstory would just take up valuable time. And time is something this bloated 2 hour monstrosity just doesn't have. Remember, gang. This is the X-Men movies. Quanitity over quality. In Azazel speramus."

"Is that supposed to be Sunspot?"
"I don't know, who cares. Do you? Honestly, Greg?"
"No."

EDIT:
"Oh yeah, no, these cameras definitely still work. It's the 70s. Why wouldn't they?"

Speak of the devil and he doth appear.

See, you couldn't even do the Uncanny X-Force storyline justice. The reason it's such a great story is because there's so much built into the character. The problem with these movies is they just plop a charac into the movie and expect the die hards to fill in the back story with their nerd brains. Like she'll mention her brother and everyone'll be like "Ooooh!" but it won't really mean anything.

Also, the badass Psylocke needs the years of pirate shirt Psylocke to really sell the badass.

But hey, can't judge a movie on its casting announcements. Who knows. Could be a pip. Could be a pip.

Omg please tell me (ant man spoilers I suppose)
Is Evangeline Lilly is Wasp?

post-41073-Frozen-excited-Anna-gif-Imgur-40XC.gif

My friend I went to school with animated this scene. For some reason seeing it get used as a gif always makes me smile.

Does anyone still have a live link to that batman spoiler?

Speak of the devil and he doth appear.

See, you couldn't even do the Uncanny X-Force storyline justice. The reason it's such a great story is because there's so much built into the character. The problem with these movies is they just plop a charac into the movie and expect the die hards to fill in the back story with their nerd brains. Like she'll mention her brother and everyone'll be like "Ooooh!" but it won't really mean anything.

Also, the badass Psylocke needs the years of pirate shirt Psylocke to really sell the badass.

But hey, can't judge a movie on its casting announcements. Who knows. Could be a pip. Could be a pip.

See, I disagree entirely with this "you need the setup to sell the moment" stuff. At least, the degree of setup you're specifying. I went into Uncanny X-Force with basically 0 knowledge of anyone other than Deadpool and Wolverine, and it worked just as well. You don't need years and years of development for this stuff to work.

Otherwise, every standalone movie of the last ~100 years or so would be an automatic failure :p

GAMEPROFF

Banned
See, I disagree entirely with this "you need the setup to sell the moment" stuff. At least, the degree of setup you're specifying. I went into Uncanny X-Force with basically 0 knowledge of anyone other than Deadpool and Wolverine, and it worked just as well. You don't need years and years of development for this stuff to work.

Otherwise, every standalone movie of the last ~100 years or so would be an automatic failure :p
X-Men doesnt even introduce characters. See Days of Future Past. Bishop, Warpath. They were just there. Nobody introduced them. I only recognized Warpath because I knew that he was supposed in the movie and I knew that no other would watch all the time just in the sky.

X-Men doesnt even introduce characters. See Days of Future Past. Bishop, Warpath. They were just there. Nobody introduced them. I only recognized Warpath because I knew that he was supposed in the movie and I knew that no other would watch all the time just in the sky.

Honestly, I haven't seen First Class or DOFP yet, so I can't speak to how well it does (or doesn't) work there. Just speaking generally, is all.

How about we meet in the middle and get like more than four minutes.

MCU doesn't need years either, but they know that it helps to establish characters in their individual movies.

We'll see though. They're certainly not spending much time on Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Or maybe they will.

But watching DoFP, it's clear that they have a fundamental problem with establishing characters before they make them do cool stuff. It happened in First Class, it happened in DoFP. I'm assuming it happened in X3, although I've never seen it.

All the MCU stuff adds texture to every other story. Even a fairly garbage show like SHIELD has moments that are elevated because Sif (oh hey, she's cool!) fights a Kree (oh hey, I remember those guys).

It feels like the X movies lean on the comics themselves for that texture. It's all easter eggs and no real character.

Top Bottom