• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

PsychBat!

Banned
lol I think there's a pretty big difference between "not being criticized or made fun of at all" and constant hate. Seriously, I've only been reading comics for a year, but I have never once heard a single positive thing about DiDio from people.

Whenever DC does something good/cool, it's just "good job DC" or something, but if they do something dumb, it's always DiDio's fault. Every single time.

And do you think that constant ridicule is unwarranted? The man doubles down on his decisions in the next few days when he makes an announcement and makes a bullshit excuse. If you're getting tired of the flak he's getting, I assure you, it's not going away anytime soon and for good reasons.

mreddie

I love Bendis bashing. We can all ignore that the guy has written a bunch of great series, that no writer except Hickman has written a good Marvel event (including Fraction and Remender), and we can just totally pummel someone without reading the final product.

Love it.

Bendis gives a fuck but give him a event and he plays the same damn playbook.

VanWinkle

It's unfortunate that they let Shelly Bond go, but that article is terrible. Written with no objectivity at all. "the fact that Vertigo is the only part of DC people actually like." Seriously? Cringing.

Also, while the whole Eddie Berganza thing is stupid and he should have been dealt with, it has NOTHING whatsoever to do with a restructuring of one of their imprints. Like, it's embarrassing to even compare the two completely unrelated things to act like there's hypocrisy there. People unfortunately get fired when there is a restructuring. I'm not excusing it, but it's just reality.

And do you think that constant ridicule is unwarranted? The man doubles down on his decisions in the next few days when he makes an announcement and makes a bullshit excuse. If you're getting tired of the flak he's getting, I assure you, it's not going away anytime soon and for good reasons.

I'm not "tired" of it. I'm responding directly to your reply to whoever said something. What are the big things that DiDio is known to be directly responsible for that causes nonstop hate and zero positivity ever? I am honestly asking since the only thing I ever hear about is him not letting Batwoman get married. There must be more that I'm missing.

Karnak #3
b0ZzW.gif

All your favorite writers and artists are terrible

My favorite writers and artists are impeccable

SW > SW

Word is bond

tumblr_o4vvnzIbDf1up1dk4o2_r2_500.gif

Sadist

I liked his Adult Peter in Spider-Men. And I have liked his Iron Man so far. I just think that he's best suited to smaller solo books, but he keeps getting put on team books where his writing quirks become nearly overwhelming and everyone starts to sound the same.

But he wrote Ultimate Spider-Man, and that was nearly perfect.

I LOVED Spider-Men.
Aww yessss Spider-Men is great.

That awkward Gwen talk.

It's unfortunate that they let Shelly Bond go, but that article is terrible. Written with no objectivity at all. "the fact that Vertigo is the only part of DC people actually like." Seriously? Cringing.

Also, while the whole Eddie Berganza thing is stupid and he should have been dealt with, it has NOTHING whatsoever to do with a restructuring of one of their imprints. Like, it's embarrassing to even compare the two completely unrelated things to act like there's hypocrisy there. People unfortunately get fired when there is a restructuring. I'm not excusing it, but it's just reality.

I'm not "tired" of it. I'm responding directly to your reply to whoever said something. What are the big things that DiDio is known to be directly responsible for that causes nonstop hate and zero positivity ever? I am honestly asking since the only thing I ever hear about is him not letting Batwoman get married. There must be more that I'm missing.
obviously it's unrelated, people are just pointing out that it's shitty that someone like Bond was let go while they continue promoting Berganza. That's it.

As for Didio, DC was largely trash under him and Lee for years. DiDio gets the hate because he sounds so out-of-touch.

Messi

Well this is sad but not unexpected.

Terry Moore:
Drawing the final pages of the last issue of Rachel Rising, and my final ongoing comic book series. In the future, I will only draw short stories of 8 issues or less.

Despite how old the article is, here's a good overview: http://www.therobotsvoice.com/2013/09/8writer_andy_diggle_quits_action.php

Dido pushes and represents a very heavy handed approach to editing. Just from his history, he believes stories are created from the top-down approach -- he wants editorial to dictate the direction of stories. It's the entire creative culture at DC.

For someone who involves himself in creative as much as he does, he has no real vision. In his interviews, you get a sense of somebody chasing trends who second-guesses himself and his people.

Oh, just wanted to add this quote from Mark Waid:

“The biggest challenge [of 52] was actually, wisely, kept from us by [editor] Steve [Wacker]. EIC Dan Didio, who first championed the concept, hated what we were doing. H-A-T-E-D 52. Would storm up and down the halls telling everyone how much he hated it. And Steve, God bless him, kept us out of the loop on that particular drama. [Editor Michael] Siglain, having less seniority, was less able to do so, and there’s one issue of 52 near the end that was written almost totally by Dan [Dido] and Keith Giffen because none of the writers could plot it to Dan’s satisfaction. Which was and is his prerogative as EIC, but man, there’s little more demoralizing than taking the ball down to the one-yard line and then being benched by the guy who kept referring to COUNTDOWN as ‘52 done right.'”

All your favorite writers and artists are terrible

My favorite writers and artists are impeccable

My favorite writer is BKV. My two favorite current artists are Fiona Staples and Rafael Albuquerque.

Who you got?

Bendis is good, bad, and everything in between. He's done some amazing stuff over the years. He's done some crap. He's consistently decent and his stuff is entertaining.

ElNarez

Banned
Is it still "he said she said"? If it's true Rucka isn't gonna last long on WW.

It's more "he said, she said, she also said, that guy who was there when it happened said, she said, she said, she pretty much just said without naming names but you know who she's talking about, and she said"

Mifune

Mehmber
My favorite writer is BKV. My two favorite current artists are Fiona Staples and Rafael Albuquerque.

Who you got?

Bendis is good, bad, and everything in between. He's done some amazing stuff over the years. He's done some crap. He's consistently decent and his stuff is entertaining.

BKV is so good. I read the digital collection of Paper Girls in one sitting. And I'm tempted to buy the TPB and give it to my wife to read. Amazing art, too.

MG310

Did anyone else pick up the Criminal 10th Anniversary magazine format issue? This thing is gorgeous.

criminal10thmag.jpg.square-true_maxheight-285_size-285.jpg

I picked it up..haven't actually read any Criminal though but figured I should pick it up for once I start reading it. Brubaker said it might be gone quickly due to some issue with Diamond.

Despite how old the article is, here's a good overview: http://www.therobotsvoice.com/2013/09/8writer_andy_diggle_quits_action.php

Dido pushes and represents a very heavy handed approach to editing. Just from his history, he believes stories are created from the top-down approach -- he wants editorial to dictate the direction of stories. It's the entire creative culture at DC.

For someone who involves himself in creative as much as he does, he has no real vision. In his interviews, you get a sense of somebody chasing trends who second-guesses himself and his people.

Oh, just wanted to add this quote from Mark Waid:

“The biggest challenge [of 52] was actually, wisely, kept from us by [editor] Steve [Wacker]. EIC Dan Didio, who first championed the concept, hated what we were doing. H-A-T-E-D 52. Would storm up and down the halls telling everyone how much he hated it. And Steve, God bless him, kept us out of the loop on that particular drama. [Editor Michael] Siglain, having less seniority, was less able to do so, and there’s one issue of 52 near the end that was written almost totally by Dan [Dido] and Keith Giffen because none of the writers could plot it to Dan’s satisfaction. Which was and is his prerogative as EIC, but man, there’s little more demoralizing than taking the ball down to the one-yard line and then being benched by the guy who kept referring to COUNTDOWN as ‘52 done right.'”

Were those rumors of Diggle wanting Superman to lose an arm true?

Mifune

Mehmber
I picked it up..haven't actually read any Criminal though but figured I should pick it up for once I start reading it. Brubaker said it might be gone quickly due to some issue with Diamond.

I've been rereading my Criminal trades and picked up the two I didn't have via Comixology's Image sale. This special issue features characters from the other books so it's probably best read afterwards.

Series is much better than I remember, too. Especially the first arc.

Were those rumors of Diggle wanting Superman to lose an arm true?

No idea. I hadn't even heard that was Diggle's original pitch. That's...hilarious, especially considering the number of dismemberings happening at DC at the time. Even if Dido spiked the story because of that, why wait until the absolute last minute?

Sadist

also didio ruined beast wars
*Reads up on Didio*

SON OF A BITCH. He's the one responsible for Beast Machines? Fuck that guy.

Beast Machines is a actually pretty good, but 1) a terrible Transformers show and 2) pretty damn dark for a children's tv show. If it wasn't tied to the Transformers universe it would have been better. Cheetor's becoming the teamleader storyline is actually great and one of the best character growths I've seen in a kids show.

God I wish we could get a new show with the classic TF characters.

Been reading Showa a History of Japan (1926-1939). This is amazingly well written and illustrated. While I do see some aspects being underplayed, now of the narration is trying to find excuses for what Japan did. It just lays out what happened and what led to it.
A very slow read though.

It has been suggested to me that one should never read outhousers.

Well, apart from Batwoman, there is the Waid stuff that choaffable posted about. And his rather public fallout with Rucka leading to Rucka not working with DC for 7-8 years.

His defensive reply and implications that he has trouble thinking of female creators he would want at DC.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.co...respond-to-the-fan-who-told-dc-to-hire-women/

Extraordinary X-Men #9
HERE WE GO. WE X-MEN NOW.

Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D. #6
So in my journey to read all of the Standoff issues, I've had to backtrack a few paces. Much like Illuminati, this was a more personal issue that didn't have any real impact on the main plot. It was decent for a final issue. Seems like fans of the book won't get that payoff. Now that I think about it, what a shit way to end a book. Obviously it was because they got cancelled, but still. That's rough.

frye

honestly it's probably important to keep in mind that as cantankerous as Waid and Wacker are/were, they are also diehard DC fanboys and the fact that they would not only quit because of one dude but also publicly name him is a pretty big deal

Calcium

Banned
*Reads up on Didio*

SON OF A BITCH. He's the one responsible for Beast Machines? Fuck that guy.

Beast Machines is a actually pretty good, but 1) a terrible Transformers show and 2) pretty damn dark for a children's tv show. If it wasn't tied to the Transformers universe it would have been better. Cheetor's becoming the teamleader storyline is actually great and one of the best character growths I've seen in a kids show.

God I wish we could get a new show with the classic TF characters.

I kind of liked Beast Machines. I didn't like it when I was a kid, but watching again as an adult it was actually kind of an interesting follow up to Beast Wars.

Extraordinary X-Men #9
HERE WE GO. WE X-MEN NOW.

Good things happening to my X-Men? Is there hope?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Switch #7 cover, according to Sejic the end of the first arc. Sounds like its not canned either

is that a male witchblade? in fact... is that jackie with the witchblade? o_O

VanWinkle

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Walking Dead the alien was alright, but that art was atrocious.

Will that woman be a new character in the regular WD books?

The New Avengers #10
Best Avengers book. Fucking fight me. How people can dislike this is unbeknownst to me.

Silk #7
mngnwjl.gif

Sam Wilson: Captain America #8
Standoff continues to be just good. Awesome. I was hoping for some sick shield passing combos, though.

Power Man and Iron Fist #3
I love this book so much. It's as heartwarming and charming as Moon Girl. Except, you know, shit actually happens and it's good. Senor Magico for MVP. I also love how all of Jessica's presents are just yellow shirts.

It's the most X-Men book there is. Uncanny X-Men is a poor man's Uncanny X-Force. All-New X-Men has finally graduated from the O5 whining all the time -- the only ones worth a damn being Idie, Evan, and Laura. '92 is fun, but it's a parody book. As much as I love Worst X-Man Ever, it's just a story of a kid with shitty powers.

I want a goddamned "X-Men being superheroes" book. And I got it with this.

Top Bottom