• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

duckroll

Trying to get into more Image stuff since I really like Brubaker's indie efforts. Don't want to overkill and spend too much though. A friend recommended I Kill Giants and I read that this week since the library had it. It was okay. Any recommendations of stuff I should definitely check out? I would prefer completed stories which aren't super long (12-24 issues would be ideal) and cover topics and settings which are more less common.

Thinking of picking up Monstress TPB1, but I'm not sure how satisfying a story arc issue 1-6 would be. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Messi

Rockets beat the Warriors, I forgot to bring my ipad to work so no accidentally reading comics, my teeth feel good. Life is good.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
AC is a part of the Super League story. It started in Superman #51, continued in Batman/Superman #31, now Action Comics #51.

It's not very sudden, it's a consequence of the Apokolips fire pits from Justice League, the Kryptonite therapy from a whole bunch of the Superman books, and fighting Rao in JLA

Fucks sake

I only read AC, Justice League & JLA. Does Justice League even tie in? I mean they were gods in that and it's not even mentioned anywhere else.

DC Continuity is fucked

Store Brand comics now up to 60% off on IST!

http://www.instocktrades.com/specials/96/Valiant+Sale

Wasn't planning an order this week, may have to make one now. I don't think my library is ever getting any Valiant.

VALIANT SALE OMGGGGG

No OHCs though. Bummer. Still, damn good deals for books that are usually only 30% off. I recommend everything except Shadowman and Eternal Warrior.

Archer and Armstrong is just fun comics; one of their best. Harbinger is probably the best-written serious book. XO is good, solid, and Armor Hunters is the best large scale event of the last few years. Quantum and Woody is hilarious. Bloodshot is good if you want brainless action.

Fucks sake

I only read AC, Justice League & JLA. Does Justice League even tie in? I mean they were gods in that and it's not even mentioned anywhere else.

DC Continuity is fucked

It's taking place post-Darkseid War. The events of DW are part of the reason Superman is dying. I would be more sympathetic to your plight if the story weren't so damn good so far. :p

Trying to get into more Image stuff since I really like Brubaker's indie efforts. Don't want to overkill and spend too much though. A friend recommended I Kill Giants and I read that this week since the library had it. It was okay. Any recommendations of stuff I should definitely check out? I would prefer completed stories which aren't super long (12-24 issues would be ideal) and cover topics and settings which are more less common.

Thinking of picking up Monstress TPB1, but I'm not sure how satisfying a story arc issue 1-6 would be. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Image has so many quality books it's hard to narrow down, but sticking to your completed story in a 12-24 issue arc...

- Zero. ZERO! Zero, Zero, Zero! 18 brilliant issues of Kot madness.
- Southern Bastards. See my review earlier in this thread. Just phenomenal.
- God Hates Astronauts. One of the few genuinely funny comics I've read...it's out there.

Most of the other stuff I would highly recommend is either too long, or will be an ongoing that is certain to surpass the issue count. Examples include The Manhattan Projects, Paper Girls, and The Autumnlands.

Outside of Image, I recommend everyone check out Locke & Key.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
It's taking place post-Darkseid War. The events of DW are part of the reason Superman is dying. I would be more sympathetic to your plight if the story weren't so damn good so far. :p
Yeah, the JL story is bloody amazing. Best book out atm (for me)

Super League has been pretty good so far, except for this most recent issue. Just seemed like a throwaway to bring Supergirl back into the mix.

Also if you aren't reading Superman: American Alien you're insane.

shingi70

Banned
Fucks sake

DC Continuity is fucked

Is it?

Everything happening right now takes place prior to Darksied War. Super League, Lois and Clark, Titans Hunt, all take place after Darkseid War and lead directly into Rebirth.

Is it?

Everything happening right now takes place prior to Darksied War. Super League, Lois and Clark, Titans Hunt, all take place after Darkseid War and lead directly into Rebirth.

Does Lois and Clark and Titans hunt for sure? Thought before Super League started DW was the most recent events but now Super League is. Titans Hunt just has some kind of character that is important in Rebirth I thought.

Nameless maybe? It's a weird space horror comic that's only six issues long. It was really good and will make you want to reread it.

If you like I Kill Giants you may like Henshin too since it's by the same artist. It's a collection of short manga stories with all kinds of different subjects.

Not Image, but Lady Killer may be another good choice. There's more coming eventually but by all means the only trade out is a completed story. The artwork is fantastic.

C.O.W.L - is fairly interesting. Complete at 11 issues. Set in the backdrop of a superhero union negotiating with the police about a contract renewal.

Phonogram - Two seasons available (6-7 each if I remember correctly)

duckroll

I don't really care that much for something like I Kill Giants. It's just something I read because it was recommended to me. I don't really like the fact that it's black and white either, because I get enough of that from manga. I like my comics colored!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

The first issue was triple sized and almost felt like an arc all by itself. So it's kind of like getting 8 issues if that helps at all.

I'll throw out Manifest Destiny as I always do. A crazy re-telling of Lewis and Clark's expedition into the west.

Messi

C.O.W.L - is fairly interesting. Complete at 11 issues. Set in the backdrop of a superhero union negotiating with the police about a contract renewal.

Phonogram - Two seasons available (6-7 each if I remember correctly)

Phonograms 3rd trade is out and the book is finished

I don't really care that much for something like I Kill Giants. It's just something I read because it was recommended to me. I don't really like the fact that it's black and white either, because I get enough of that from manga. I like my comics colored!

Then you'd love Morrison and Philip Bond's Vimanarama. It's Vertigo, not Image, but it's still brilliant and gorgeous and done in three issues.

duckroll

What is it with weird digital comic pricing. When singles are 99 cents and trades cost more than buying all the singles contained in that trade, how does it make sense?

I'm thinking of going with Phonogram and Monstress for now, but is there anything I should look out for in terms of singles vs trades? Brubaker's books for example have essays and stuff at the end of singles which aren't in the trades, but are in the deluxe non-digital hardcovers.

I'm so confused

He means all the things that had happened before the most recent issues of Superman/AC/anything happened before Darkseid War. Super League, Lois and Clark, and Titans Hunt are post-DW. Moreover, those three stories will directly affect Rebirth books - Superman, AC, Titans.

What is it with weird digital comic pricing. When singles are 99 cents and trades cost more than buying all the singles contained in that trade, how does it make sense?

I'm thinking of going with Phonogram and Monstress for now, but is there anything I should look out for in terms of singles vs trades? Brubaker's books for example have essays and stuff at the end of singles which aren't in the trades, but are in the deluxe non-digital hardcovers.

Would recommend the singles for Phonogram. There's lots of cool essays (well, I liked them) in the back from Gillen, plus a full list of all the references. Since it's a book about music, and British music being a lot of it (with Rue Britannia tying into the downfall of Britpop in the late 90s), you might miss some story bits without them.

Only read the first four issues but I was really surprised at just how good Invader Zim was. It seemed straight out of the show and perfect.

I'd say it's a bit hit or miss (unsurprisingly, the Dib-centric issues are more miss than hit). Jhonen Vasquez has kind of been drifting away from the book - the most recent issue didn't credit him in any capacity - and the book has suffered for it. It's a real shame it doesn't look like he's sticking around to at least shepherd it; maybe he'll be back as an editor at least next issue. Still, it's enough fun that I'd recommend it to any fans of the show. Definitely worth reading.

This happens a LOT with Image books. I rarely buy digital trades for this reason. It's hardly ever worth it, especially from them. You just have to use common sense and buy the singles.

edit: hey Duckroll have you tried Atomic Robo? There's a lot of material but each mini is a self-contained story. It's a really fun book.
edit 2: Also maybe Citizen Jack? Five issues out, one more to go. The premise: what if Donald Trump is actually working for Satan? It's dark and funny and weird and I heartily recommend it.
edit 3: The Last Days of American Crime is a classic Remender joint. Three issues.
edit 4: One more. A LOT of people didn't like how The Wake ended, but I loved every bit of it. Decide for yourself. Scott Snyder, 10 issues.

Calcium

Banned
Just got my IST order I made Tuesday night. My Absolute collection is slowly growing. I've added The Long Halloween and Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn. Both look great, very happy I picked these up.

This happens a LOT with Image books. I rarely buy digital trades for this reason. It's hardly ever worth it, especially from them. You just have to use common sense and buy the singles.

Plus their trades are so bare bones they make bare bones look like plain old regular bones

Except the invincible trades. I miss the Kirkman/Artist commentary on the covers in the back now that I'm on singles.

I'd say it's a bit hit or miss (unsurprisingly, the Dib-centric issues are more miss than hit). Jhonen Vasquez has kind of been drifting away from the book - the most recent issue didn't credit him in any capacity - and the book has suffered for it. It's a real shame it doesn't look like he's sticking around to at least shepherd it; maybe he'll be back as an editor at least next issue. Still, it's enough fun that I'd recommend it to any fans of the show. Definitely worth reading.

That's kind of a bummer. The only time I was down in those first couple issues is when it tried to go real in depth on something that was basically "This is dumb". Like explaining the moose and the planet they got it from. When really it just boiled down to a dumb moose joke. That stuff worked on the show because there's the actual audio reading of it that is funny, in the book I'm just forced to read it and it's kind of becomes apparent that it's just pointless.

Hmm, Usagi Yojimbo v6 out next week. Will wait for Tuesday to bundle my Valiant order with that.

Airboy deluxe is out next Tuesday too. Anyone here read the whole thing?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I ended up going with a random grab bag of things I've been meaning to pick up.

Doctor Strange: The Oath
Patsy Walker, AKA Hellcat
Post-SW Weirdworld
and Hank Johnson, Agent of Hydra

Gotta love a BOGO.

Mindwipe

Would recommend the singles for Phonogram. There's lots of cool essays (well, I liked them) in the back from Gillen, plus a full list of all the references. Since it's a book about music, and British music being a lot of it (with Rue Britannia tying into the downfall of Britpop in the late 90s), you might miss some story bits without them.

IIRC they're in the trade as well for Phonogram.

VanWinkle

What do people mean by "pre-Secret War" and "post-Secret War"? I know that Secret War was some kind of event, but what is the significance of it that warrants pre- and post-? I confess I'm not nearly up to snuff on recent Marvel history like I am with DC (and even there there's quite I bit I don't know).

What do people mean by "pre-Secret War" and "post-Secret War"? I know that Secret War was some kind of event, but what is the significance of it that warrants pre- and post-? I confess I'm not nearly up to snuff on recent Marvel history like I am with DC (and even there there's quite I bit I don't know).

The big 'ol Secret Wars event that happened last year was the end of the Marvel NOW! imprint and the beginning of the current All-New All-Different. It was an event that preceded a big relaunch into the current state of Marvel books.

So that's what they mean.

Well, several reasons.

-When Secret Wars happened Marvel stopped publishing their entire line and just put out Secret Wars books for several months.
-There is a time lapse between the beginning of Secret Wars and the end of eight months, and for most books we still don't know what happened in that time period to establish new status quos. For example, the death of Cyclops is effectively the lynch-pin of the X-Men's current status quo but we still don't know how or why that happened.
-Virtually every book got a new #1 after Secret Wars, even books with only a few issues published to begin with (i.e., The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl)
-Some characters and concepts were revived for Secret Wars minis and stuck around as ongoings afterwards. Again, they were given new #1s.

So, using Weirdworld as an example, that's a book that came back for a Secret Wars mini, and stuck around after SW ended with a new #1 to kick off an ongoing with a new creative team. Therefore when you say post-SW Weirdworld, you're talking about the ongoing, not the mini with the same title.

Top Bottom