• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

duckroll

What do people mean by "pre-Secret War" and "post-Secret War"? I know that Secret War was some kind of event, but what is the significance of it that warrants pre- and post-? I confess I'm not nearly up to snuff on recent Marvel history like I am with DC (and even there there's quite I bit I don't know).

Before Secret Wars there was a normal Marvel comic universe and an Ultimates Marvel comic universe. After Secret Wars all universes have been destroyed and rebuilt, and those rules no longer apply. It doesn't really mean anything to anyone who hasn't been following the continuity for ages though. It just means characters have been reshuffled around and they cleaned up some annoying parts of the continuity they didn't like moving forward.

VanWinkle

The big 'ol Secret Wars event that happened last year was the end of the Marvel NOW! imprint and the beginning of the current All-New All-Different. It was an event that preceded a big relaunch into the current state of Marvel books.

So that's what they mean.

Well, several reasons.

-When Secret Wars happened Marvel stopped publishing their entire line and just put out Secret Wars books for several months.
-There is a time lapse between the beginning of Secret Wars and the end of eight months, and for most books we still don't know what happened in that time period to establish new status quos. For example, the death of Cyclops is effectively the lynch-pin of the X-Men's current status quo but we still don't know how or why that happened.
-Virtually every book got a new #1 after Secret Wars, even books with only a few issues published to begin with (i.e., The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl)
-Some characters and concepts were revived for Secret Wars minis and stuck around as ongoings afterwards. Again, they were given new #1s.

So, using Weirdworld as an example, that's a book that came back for a Secret Wars mini, and stuck around after SW ended with a new #1 to kick off an ongoing with a new creative team. Therefore when you say post-SW Weirdworld, you're talking about the ongoing, not the mini with the same title.

Very interesting. Thanks guys. Could this be compared, then to something like DC's Flashpoint?

Before Secret Wars there was a normal Marvel comic universe and an Ultimates Marvel comic universe. After Secret Wars all universes have been destroyed and rebuilt, and those rules no longer apply. It doesn't really mean anything to anyone who hasn't been following the continuity for ages though. It just means characters have been reshuffled around and they cleaned up some annoying parts of the continuity they didn't like moving forward.

Thanks, duckroll. Good to know what it's not overly important to know the event itself well.

Very interesting. Thanks guys. Could this be compared, then to something like DC's Flashpoint?

The distinction is the continuity didn't change or compress, it just moved forward eight months. Flashpoint/nu52 put almost every character at square one when all was said and done, and those that weren't rebooted had their continuities compressed to a ridiculous degree (for example, everything that has ever happened to Batman still happened but it all went down over a seven year period).

VanWinkle

The distinction is the continuity didn't change or compress, it just moved forward eight months. Flashpoint/nu52 put almost every character at square one when all was said and done, and those that weren't rebooted had their continuities compressed to a ridiculous degree (for example, everything that has ever happened to Batman still happened but it all went down over a seven year period).

Oooh, okay. So "pre-SW" and "post-SW" are referring to timeframe rather than continuity-changes or anything drastic like that. I get it now. Is "post-SW" just another way to say ANAD?

Or Green Lantern. That's just as bad. The Batman stuff had a few adjustments, but Green Lantern had zero.
Oooh, okay. So "pre-SW" and "post-SW" are referring to timeframe rather than continuity-changes or anything drastic like that. I get it now. Is "post-SW" just another way to say ANAD?
Yup. No different than DC fans referring to different points of DC continuity as pre-Crisis, post-Crisis, pre-Flashpoint, etc.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Arent the differences between Crisis of Infinite Earth and Secret Wars big? Crisis was a big change in Status Quo, Secret Wars/ANAD continues like before

Arent the differences between Crisis of Infinite Earth and Secret Wars big? Crisis was a big change in Status Quo, Secret Wars/ANAD continues like before

Yes, but I'm talking about them purely on a basis of the terminology. Not the actual events. If we're comparing events, Secret Wars is more comparable to Infinite Crisis.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, and as Echo said earlier, it can help distinguish books with the same name that came out with new number 1s after the event, while maintaining the same creative teams.

Like Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Howard the Duck, and Silver Surfer

mreddie

Yeah, and as Echo said earlier, it can help distinguish books with the same name that came out with new number 1s after the event, while maintaining the same creative teams.

Like Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Howard the Duck, and Silver Surfer

And some books are coming back from Secret Wars but with differences (Moon Knight, Punisher, Nova), do those count?

VALIANT SALE OMGGGGG

No OHCs though. Bummer. Still, damn good deals for books that are usually only 30% off. I recommend everything except Shadowman and Eternal Warrior.

Archer and Armstrong is just fun comics; one of their best. Harbinger is probably the best-written serious book. XO is good, solid, and Armor Hunters is the best large scale event of the last few years. Quantum and Woody is hilarious. Bloodshot is good if you want brainless action

I agree with your assessment. Also Ivar is grea Dr who like fun.

I may have gone a little overboard and got like...all the marvel books i was even remotely interested in

ulp
I'm getting all the $1.99 comics I want from the sale. Which isn't everything I want. There's still wholes in the marvel CMX catalog. Like where the hell is Spider-Man tangled web?

But they're getting closer to having everything I want. The one comfort is I'm at least spending less with each marvel BOGO sale.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
And some books are coming back from Secret Wars but with differences (Moon Knight, Punisher, Nova), do those count?

You could call them that, for clarification's sake.

Speaking of Pre-SW Moon Knight, is any of that worth getting? I almost bit on the Ellis issues last night. I remember people thinking that the art was cool, but it changed creative teams so quickly that I didn't know which bit was the good bit.

mreddie

You could call them that, for clarification's sake.

Speaking of Pre-SW Moon Knight, is any of that worth getting? I almost bit on the Ellis issues last night. I remember people thinking that the art was cool, but it changed creative teams so quickly that I didn't know which bit was the good bit.

I think the Ellis run was amazing and post Ellis, kept everything steady.

I may have gone a little overboard and got like...all the marvel books i was even remotely interested in

ulp

You and me both. I had to stop myself from buying more. Dropped $132. :|

I agree with your assessment. Also Ivar is grea Dr who like fun.

I'm getting all the $1.99 comics I want from the sale. Which isn't everything I want. There's still wholes in the marvel CMX catalog. Like where the hell is Spider-Man tangled web?

But they're getting closer to having everything I want. The one comfort is I'm at least spending less with each marvel BOGO sale.

I didn't see any Ivar in that sale, but I may have missed it.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
But you couldn't spend $17 on Excalibur...

I looked up Excalibur, and it made me miss the boxes in the upper left corner that showed who was in each issue.

I sort of wish they'd do that for the MCU box art going forward now that their mixing and matching so much.

Didnt read it but i remember reading he did pretty well. Ellis run is satisfactory all by itself really

It's serviceable but pales in comparison to the Ellis issues.

You can just read the Ellis issues if you want, they stand on their own.

Cool, will do.

Oh, and I finished The Fade Out yesterday. Loved it. And loved the backup articles. It had been a while since I'd read any Brubaker, I'd forgotten how great he is.

Hi Comic Gaf, saw on Comixology that Marvel has a bogo sale and was wondering how ANAD avengers & star wars/vader post Vader Down are holding up

Just a FYI

Turns out Marvel is also doing another sale ontop of their BOGO

Miles Morales: Ultimate Spiderman (the one that ended with SW) and the Nova (kid Nova) series have a 99 cent sale. And it stacks with the BOGO! So 0.50 comics

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=11005&lang=1

I recommend ordering these on their own as things get wonky if you mix it with other priced comics.

I would ask if Nova is worth it at $16, but I feel like Tim would bite my head off.

Hi Comic Gaf, saw on Comixology that Marvel has a bogo sale and was wondering how ANAD avengers & star wars/vader post Vader Down are holding up

Vader's been a lot better since Vader Down and Star Wars is still good too.

I stopped reading Avengers when Standoff started so I can't comment.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/new-marvel-teaser-heralds-a-heros-long-awaited-return

Spinning out of "Avengers: Standoff," a hero will make a long-awaited return to Marvel Comics -- and it appears they'll be connected to the Nova Corps.

With the title "A Long Awaited Return...", the teaser features a golden cross on a black background; the cross echoes the (generally red) symbol on the Nova Corps' helmet, much like the one Sam Alexander wears in "All-New, All-Different Avengers."

The teaser also references "Avengers Standoff," which concludes in next Wednesday's "Avengers Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill Omega" #1, so it seems we'll soon learn who will be making a big return.

XHWOPf1.jpg

Just a FYI

Turns out Marvel is also doing another sale ontop of their BOGO

Miles Morales: Ultimate Spiderman (the one that ended with SW) and the Nova (kid Nova) series have a 99 cent sale. And it stacks with the BOGO! So 0.50 comics

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=11005&lang=1

I recommend ordering these on their own as things get wonky if you mix it with other priced comics.

I mixed them all in on one of my (many) orders, worked out fine.

MG310

IST impulse order

Harley & Ivy Hardcover
Black Science hardcover
Alex Toth: Genius Illustrated
Wonder Woman Earth One

Midtown's shipping is unusually slow this week..usually my order processes Tuesday, ships Wednesday and arrives Friday...hasn't processed yet. Had a bunch of blank covers from the sale though.

Top Bottom