• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if the real Messi wanted to join Neogaf, would our Messi have to change his name?

that would be amazing

Wow. Batman v. Superman. So bad. So so bad. I can't fathom how Snyder was able to make so many references to Batman and Superman comics while simultaneously making a movie that made it seem like he hasn't read a single one. On top of not understanding/caring about either characters, the filmmaking and storytelling was rancid. So bad it's impressive. I thought the reviews were gonna be hyperbolic on this one because the characters are so beloved, but no. It's that bad.

Wow. Batman v. Superman. So bad. So so bad. I can't fathom how Snyder was able to make so many references to Batman and Superman comics while simultaneously making a movie that made it seem like he hasn't read a single one. On top of not understanding/caring about either characters, the filmmaking and storytelling was rancid. So bad it's impressive. I thought the reviews were gonna be hyperbolic on this one because the characters are so beloved, but no. It's that bad.

It's pretty remarkable how divided people are on this film. I liked it quite a bit. I think part of the problem is that people are judging it in reference to other source material. If you just take it as its own film and stop trying to compare it to comics, you may have enjoyed it more.

Nah. It's pretty clear to me that Snyder gets both characters perfectly well.

That's not the film's problems at all.

It's pretty remarkable how divided people are on this film. I liked it quite a bit. I think part of the problem is that people are judging it in reference to other source material. If you just take it as its own film and stop trying to compare it to comics, you may have enjoyed it more.

I first and foremost took it as a movie that stands on its own, and that was its biggest failing. I don't care if they don't stay true to the characters as long as they story they tell is worth telling. And there was no story worth telling here. None of the characters are explored or developed in an interesting way, the themes are totally tossed aside in favor of relentless fight scenes that are so contrived to be there soley as fight scenes. The dialogue was bad. Almost every supporting character was pointless. Henry Cavill is still a bad actor. The editing was miserable (a good and obvious example was the sequel bait future vision sequence that was jammed into the movie at seemingly a random spot). It was a bad movie and a bad interpretation of its core characters. It was a hollow excuse to have Batman and Superman punch each other for a bit, and then set up Justice League.

Nah. It's pretty clear to me that Snyder gets both characters perfectly well.

That's not the film's problems at all.

Idk but I don't think of Superman as a whiny selfish idiot who pretty much only cares about Lois Lane, has no control over his emotions, and was raised under a bizarre unheroic ideology curtesy of this and MoS's version of ma and pa kent. "You could save the world Clark...or not who cares you don't owe them anything".

Batman is far less egregious, especially since Ben Affleck is pretty good, and they at least got across his trauma and ideology somewhat in the build up for his conflict with Superman, but the movie didn't really explore his character very much, because it was too busy touching on all sorts of other plot points and generally ignoring character all together by the half way point. But I generally don't think of Batman as a dude who casually murders goons left and right and fucking brands people.

Another issue I have (although a very small moment in the movie) Snyder has Bruce being a boozer like in Dark Knight Returns just to use Alfred's line about the empty wine cellar but doesn't include any of the interesting reasons for why Bruce turns to alcohol in that comic, ie to supress Batman. In these he's just an alcoholic because of his trauma? But that's expressed through Batman. He doesn't need to be, and shouldn't be an alcoholic AND batman. Since Bruce dedicates all his energy into being da bat as a manifestation of that truama, and boozing it up on the reg would get away of his singular mission. Like I said, small moment that seemingly exists only as a reference to a comic book line without any understanding of character.

Foofaraw

Lesbian Bdsm friendship romance love story Sunstone by Stjepan Sejic is amazing and is my favorite book image publishes . I am being 100% serious. Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

Low
Deadly Class
Sex Criminals

Woah, don't trick more people into that smutty smut book with your lies about its content. Sunstone is really a fantasy setting about two heteronormative chaste nuns/warriors on a search for the stone of the sun that will push back the darkness! Totes joyless. (Volumes 3&4 will be in my next ist order <3)

I first and foremost took it as a movie that stands on its own, and that was its biggest failing. I don't care if they don't stay true to the characters as long as they story they tell is worth telling. And there was no story worth telling here. None of the characters are explored or developed in an interesting way, the themes are totally tossed aside in favor of relentless fight scenes that are so contrived to be there soley as fight scenes. The dialogue was bad. Almost every supporting character was pointless. Henry Cavill is still a bad actor. The editing was miserable (a good and obvious example was the sequel bait future vision sequence that was jammed into the movie at seemingly a random spot). It was a bad movie and a bad interpretation of its core characters. It was a hollow excuse to have Batman and Superman punch each other for a bit, and then set up Justice League.

Idk but I don't think of Superman as a whiny selfish idiot who pretty much only cares about Lois Lane, has no control over his emotions, and was raised under a bizarre unheroic ideology curtesy of this and MoS's version of ma and pa kent. "You could save the world Clark...or not who cares you don't owe them anything".

Batman is far less egregious, especially since Ben Affleck is pretty good, and they at least got across his trauma and ideology somewhat in the build up for his conflict with Superman, but the movie didn't really explore his character very much, because it was too busy touching on all sorts of other plot points and generally ignoring character all together by the half way point. But I generally don't think of Batman as a dude who casually murders goons left and right and fucking brands people.

Another issue I have (although a very small moment in the movie) Snyder has Bruce being a boozer like in Dark Knight Returns just to use Alfred's line about the empty wine cellar but doesn't include any of the interesting reasons for why Bruce turns to alcohol in that comic, ie to supress Batman. In these he's just an alcoholic because of his trauma? But that's expressed through Batman. He doesn't need to be, and shouldn't be an alcoholic AND batman. Since Bruce dedicates all his energy into being da bat as a manifestation of that truama, and boozing it up on the reg would get away of his singular mission. Like I said, small moment that seemingly exists only as a reference to a comic book line without any understanding of character.

Man, I disagree with basically all of this. Superman's not a "whiny selfish idiot," Batman gets a ton of character focus. Cavill was great, the dialogue was excellent. It's like we watched different movies.

But anyway, this is the comics thread.

Woah, don't trick more people into that smutty smut book with your lies about its content. Sunstone is really a fantasy setting about two heteronormative chaste nuns/warriors on a search for the stone of the sun that will push back the darkness! Totes joyless. (Volumes 3&4 will be in my next ist order <3)

I don't think I've ever seen Messi more passionate about a comic than he is with Sunstone.

Mine too :B

Where did you order from? I ordered from Entertainment Earth for dat free shipping.

Don't y'all talk about politics in here all the time though? I was at least talking about a comic book movie in relation to comic books so I don't think that's too off topic for this thread haha

Teehee. We talk about lots of different things here, which is probably why we're in community.

Don't y'all talk about stuff like politics and videogames in here all the time though? I was at least talking about a comic book movie in relation to comic books so I don't think that's too off topic for this thread haha

We talk about a ton of the stuff, lol. I just don't want to monopolize the thread talking about a movie that has like 5 different threads right now, lol.

I want to be better than WrassleGAF. We should all be better than WrassleGAF.

Messi

Don't y'all talk about stuff like politics and videogames in here all the time though? I was at least talking about a comic book movie in relation to comic books so I don't think that's too off topic for this thread haha

Talk about whatever you like. All topics are welcome. We even allow someone to talk about trump and wrestling.

Talk about whatever you like. All topics are welcome. We even allow someone to talk about trump and wrestling.

y not both?

C1E21MG.gif

tim1138

Sometimes we even talk about comics!

Legionnaires and Legion of Super-Heroes 1,000,000 were great. Were they new characters created for this event? The writer is listed as Tom Peyer but they had a very Morrison feel to them.

Also loved the art in the Legion issue. The art and coloring had a Kirby feel to them and fit perfectly!

Am now interested in the Legionnaires and Legion of Super-Heroes. Any good runs?

ElNarez

Banned
I genuinely feel people are deliberately ignoring key points in Batman V Superman, because to say that a movie which, in substance, says that, even in our fearful and cynical times, Superman can exist and be an unwaivering force of good that's gonna do whatever he can to help people, and then says he's an example to all, doesn't get superheroes, or, worse, actively hates them.

Like, the whole point of one the thirty or so endings of the movie is that Superman inspires others to be great, from Batman and Wonder Woman to regular-ass people.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Don't know whether to get the iPad pro or the 18" Samsung galaxy view for comic reading

Zombine

Banned
Batman v Superman will be one of those movies where 20 years from now it'll be huge and our kids and grandkids will be laughing it up at all of the shit reviews like half of the fucking amazing scifi movies from the 80s.

I genuinely feel people are deliberately ignoring key points in Batman V Superman, because to say that a movie which, in substance, says that, even in our fearful and cynical times, Superman can exist and be an unwaivering force of good that's gonna do whatever he can to help people, and then says he's an example to all, doesn't get superheroes, or, worse, actively hates them.

Like, the whole point of one the thirty or so endings of the movie is that Superman inspires others to be great, from Batman and Wonder Woman to regular-ass people.

Yeah. I really think that by the time the Senate hearing blew up, people had just checked out because of the janky ass editing.

Batman v Superman will be one of those movies where 20 years from now it'll be huge and our kids and grandkids will be laughing it up at all of the shit reviews like half of the fucking amazing scifi movies from the 80s.

That'd be nice. Vindication!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Where is this supposed to be shown? I only remember the point where Lois says that people are afraid because of all the collateral damage he causes and Superman just says, yeah, I dont care what people think of me.
Pretty shitty force of good if you ask me.

ElNarez

Banned
Where is this supposed to be shown? I only remember the point where Lois says that people are afraid because of all the collateral damage he causes and Superman just says, yeah, I dont care what people think of me.
Pretty shitty force of good if you ask me.

It's that little unimportant scene where
he fucking impales himself on a kryptonite lance
, nbd

VanWinkle

I love talking about and reading comics. Great stuff.

Also read the first three issues of N52 Detective Comics. Not great. I don't like the writing and the dialog. It feels very...immature and lacking substance compared to Scott Snyder's Batman. I also feel like Daniels is not on top of his game art wise. I have seen quite a bit better from him in stuff like Batman RIP. It's also a little bit frustrating to be reading yet another Joker story when I've already read two huge ones from Snyder, but it's fine since that's not really Daniels' fault.

I'll still read it, though. It's not bad. It's just not...good. Yet.

ElNarez

Banned
How does this make him a better force of good?

self-sacrifice is usually considered to be pretty good

also there's those shots where you see him saving people, and, yeah, it's out of selfishness at that point in the movie, but, he's still doing good, and, like Batman and Wonder Woman, he overcomes his flaws during the Doomsday fight

Haha what. But Batman and Wonder Woman were doing their thing long before Superman came around, and already have their own heroic ideologies. Superman throws a wrench in that if anything. He doesn't seem to even care about inspiring good either. All he cares about is Lois Lane and their chemistry-less relationship because "she's his whole world". This is reinforced by having her get in contrived damsel and distress situations 3 times in the movie and have Superman swoop in to save her. You never see him go to that much effort to do any grand heroic gesture outside of a little montage scene. He even has to get advice from other people to even consider trying to be a hero, and the advice he gets from mama Kent is shit lol.

He doesn't inspire regular people either . All you see is people worshipping him or more prominently protesting and prosecuting him, and then he fights Doomsday and then everyone and then everyone loves him again.

There were no meaningful scenes that show his impact or inspirational value.

It's that little unimportant scene where
he fucking impales himself on a kryptonite lance
, nbd

He does that for Lois though, and not the world. He never mentions even caring about humanity, all his affection in the movie is directed at her, which is dumb for a bunch of reasons and made worse by the fact that their relationship is so poorly developed.

ElNarez

Banned
Haha what. But Batman and Wonder Woman were doing their thing long before Superman came around, and already have their own heroic ideologies.

This is exactly what I mean by "missing key points", btw

Batman has gone off the deep end, and became uncharacteristically hyper-violent. Alfred says MULTIPLE TIMES that this is not how Batman usually operates, or should operate for that matter. For most of the movie, he's a fucking bad guy, and you're supposed to find his actions repulsive. There's that, and the fact he quotes Historically Wrong Guy Dick Cheney verbatim

Wonder Woman has abandoned the matters of our world for a century, following the shit she's seen in WWI.

Both get back to being Actual Goddamn Heroes when they see Superman. Batman saves Martha, and WW provides the assist in the Doomsday fight.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
self-sacrifice is usually considered to be pretty good

also there's those shots where you see him saving people, and, yeah, it's out of selfishness at that point in the movie, but, he's still doing good, and, like Batman and Wonder Woman, he overcomes his flaws during the Doomsday fight
I am having a hard time remembering him saving people during the Doomsday fight, the movie was busy letting a whole city population mystical disappear, so there werent a lot of people to be saved around.
My point is, a force of good is supposed to care about people. He literally said it to Lois. I dont care if people are angry at me because I downed a whole city, because I think I did the right thing. Then he flies to the Himalaja crying to his ghost daddy, then Martha gets kidnapped, the fight starts and he dies. There is no moment where he was, yeah, maybe I should fly the people out of a building before I throw them at my enemies. And as long as he doesnt do this, he is no force of good. Just a martyrer, whose death inspired people, but one who doesnt give a shit.

Maybe he values life more after he was death by himself.

Haha what. But Batman and Wonder Woman were doing their thing long before Superman came around, and already have their own heroic ideologies. Superman throws a wrench in that if anything. He doesn't seem to even care about inspiring good either. All he cares about is Lois Lane and their chemistry-less relationship because "she's his whole world". This is reinforced by having her get in contrived damsel and distress situations 3 times in the movie and have Superman swoop in to save her. You never see him go to that much effort to do any grand heroic gesture outside of a little montage scene. He even has to get advice from other people to even consider trying to be a hero, and the advice he gets from mama Kent is shit lol.

He doesn't inspire regular people either . All you see is people worshipping him or more prominently protesting and prosecuting him, and then he fights Doomsday and then everyone and then everyone loves him again.

There were no meaningful scenes that show his impact or inspirational value.

He does that for Lois though, and not the world. He never mentions even caring about humanity, all his affection in the movie is directed at her, which is dumb for a bunch of reasons and made worse by the fact that their relationship is so poorly developed.

No, he does it for the world.
"This is my world. You are my world."
He does it for both.

Also, this

You never see him go to that much effort to do any grand heroic gesture outside of a little montage scene.

Is lol. "You never see him do anything heroic other than that montage of him doing heroic things!"

I mean, besides
him immediately dragging Doomsday's ass to space, away from any civilians, and keeping on him when he sees the nuke coming, and willingly sacrificing himself to kill Doomsday. You could also infer from the way they talk about how he's doing heroic stuff all the time that he's doing heroic things all the time. Or the way he abandons his pursuit of Bruce to go save people in Mexico.

And you're COMPLETELY misreading the Ma Kent scene, and probably his whole arc. The point is that he's not sure that he's doing more good than harm. She's saying that he can't let that get to him, that he has to decide what's right.

Oh, and one final note,
WW isn't doing her own thing. She's in hiding. And Batman is only barely a hero these days.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I mean, besides
him immediately dragging Doomsday's ass to space, away from any civilians, and keeping on him when he sees the nuke coming, and willingly sacrificing himself to kill Doomsday.
After the army girl tells the audience that Metropolis is magical evacuated in two minutes. Maybe I would have given him more credit of the city was actually populated at that point.
Shouldnt have done this maybe, maybe woudlnt event come to Gotham that fast when he didnt droped him from space.

Top Bottom