• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Messi

I feel so bad for telling Boogiepop to buy the Walking Dead character specials. I forgot that it's legit only like 3 pages of new material and the rest are the introductory issues. I also forgot that they give those things away for free every year during Free Comic Book Day.

I owe you like $3.

You told me to buy the Tyrese one.

Also started Dark Knight Returns before seeing B v. S and it's awesome so far. Really interesting take on the Batman/Wayne dynamic, and great visual storytellig, cool art, and tons of great hard boiled lines. Tho I'm not a huge fan of some of the pages where it's like 20 tiny panels with a bunch of scrunched up dialgoue lines above them.

This reminds me that I really need to reread TDKR. I haven't read it in like ten years or so and I'd like to see what I think of it now as a whole. I also have Dark Knight Strikes Again which I haven't read yet, and I'm very interested in seeing what I think of that since it has such a negative reputation.

Daredevil and the Elektra spin-offs have really given me a new found appreciation for Frank Miller's work. Kind of interested in trying Ronin but that's gonna be something down the line.

List for this week:
Rachel Rising #41
Lobster Johnson The Forgotten Man #1
Batgirl #50
Fix #1
Black Widow #2
Vision #6

Obviously getting Wonder Woman this week too, but I'm gonna get it off IST since I wanna grab a few things together. So far for my order I'm thinking:
Wondy
Crepax
Nameless
Akira Vol 2

Still on the fence though. I've already read all of Nameless and while I did really like it, I don't really need the hardcover right now. Crepax looks really interesting but it's expensive too. I'll make up my mind eventually!

tim1138

This reminds me that I really need to reread TDKR. I haven't read it in like ten years or so and I'd like to see what I think of it now as a whole. I also have Dark Knight Strikes Again which I haven't read yet, and I'm very interested in seeing what I think of that since it has such a negative reputation.

Daredevil and the Elektra spin-offs have really given me a new found appreciation for Frank Miller's work. Kind of interested in trying Ronin but that's gonna be something down the line.

List for this week:
Rachel Rising #41
Batgirl #50
Fix #1
Black Widow #2
Vision #6

Obviously getting Wonder Woman this week too, but I'm gonna get it off IST since I wanna grab a few things together. So far for my order I'm thinking:
Wondy
Crepax
Nameless
Akira Vol 2

Still on the fence though. I've already read all of Nameless and while I did really like it, I don't really need the hardcover right now. Crepax looks really interesting but it's expensive too. I'll make up my mind eventually!

The Nameless hardcover is fantastic. There's three or four pages of annotations from Morrison, raw pencil art from Burnham, and one of Fairbairn's write ups on his coloring process. I can't recommend it enough.

frye

List for this week:
Rachel Rising #41
Batgirl #50
Fix #1
Black Widow #2
Vision #6

Wondy
Crepax
Nameless
Akira Vol 2

yeah, I wanna get that Crepax book too but it's suuper expensive here and if there's one problem with comics from the last few years it's that there's been too many high quality reprints of shit I want

I kiiinda want the Nameless hardback but I got the singles that I haven't read after all this time so that's definitely not a Responsible Financial Decision

Wonder Woman.

Earth One.

Tuesday.

YASSSSS Picking this up along with the WicDiv hardcover, maybe toss in something else to get free shipping.

I read comics today *and* told people irl to read comics

I read Forever Evil today. It was very good. Is there anyone in the Crime Syndicate that
Superwoman didn't fuck

List!

The Walking Dead #153
The Wicked +The Divine #18

That's a tiny list. I think there's a lot coming out this week.

Last post about BvS I swear

There's that whole opening sequence, where Batman is in the middle of Metropolis during the Zod fight and realizes how tiny and insignificant he is.

And then there's that whole closing sequence where Bruce and Diana talk about living up to Superman's legacy.

Again, I feel you're ignoring the text. It's 3AM where I am, so, if you're interested in looking into it further, here's a great piece going into almost everything that happens in the movie, and explaining how it fits together and basically says Superman is cool and good

Pretty good article, thanks for linking. I think I gotta let the movie sink in some more, since I only walked out of the theater a few hours ago. But this piece did a good job of making me reevaluate some of the story beats, particularly Batman's role in it. It also affirms that of all my issues with the movie, my number 1 is with the editing, as I think it really obfuscates a lot of these beats with some of its sequencing and bloat.

My list is comparatively long this week:

Rachel Rising #41
Giant Days #13
Archie #7
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #2
Justice League Darkseid War Special #1
Midnighter #11
Fix #1
The Walking Dead #153
Black Panther #1
Black Widow #2
Empress #1
Old Man Logan #4
Spider-Man #3
Vision #6
Ninjak #14

Wonder Woman Earth One

Zombine

Banned
YASSSSS Picking this up along with the WicDiv hardcover, maybe toss in something else to get free shipping.

I read Forever Evil today. It was very good. Is there anyone in the Crime Syndicate that
Superwoman didn't fuck

That's a tiny list. I think there's a lot coming out this week.

You'll find something dude. Trade releases are stacked this week. Absolute Transmetropolitian vol 2 is out as well.

Mitch

Banned
My list could be huge this week, but I don't know if I'll have this job I applied for. They want a second interview, which will be the first in-person interview.

I know for a fact I will get Empress, The Fix and Black Panther.

Legionnaires and Legion of Super-Heroes 1,000,000 were great. Were they new characters created for this event? The writer is listed as Tom Peyer but they had a very Morrison feel to them.

Also loved the art in the Legion issue. The art and coloring had a Kirby feel to them and fit perfectly!

Am now interested in the Legionnaires and Legion of Super-Heroes. Any good runs?

Posting again because it got lost in the BvS talk. Are the regular Legionnaires and Legion of Super Heroes runs worth tracking down? Have they been collected?

Messi

My list is comparatively long this week:

Rachel Rising #41
Giant Days #13
Archie #7
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #2
Midnighter #11
Fix #1
The Walking Dead #153
Black Panther #1
Black Widow #2
Empress #1
Old Man Logan #4
Spider-Man #3
Vision #6
Ninjak #14

Wonder Woman Earth One

Rachel Rising #41
Giant Days #13
Archie #7
Empress #1
Vision #6

For me

tim1138

Posting again because it got lost in the BvS talk. Are the regular Legionnaires and Legion of Super Heroes runs worth tracking down? Have they been collected?

The Legion One Million characters were all new for the event and were based on existing characters.

Since Legion expert GrandHarrier doesn't post anymore, here are my recommended Legion collections:

The Great Darkness Saga
The Curse
Legion Lost (the original miniseries, not the N52 run)
Legion of Three Worlds

Messi

This is GH's department really. I'll try and track him down for you.

I was like whaaaat, but then I remembered the sudden root canal, that's gotta suck.

Eh, what can you do.

What's annoying is that the pain is gone from the tooth. So now I have hope but it's a fools hope :(

Mitch

Banned
Messi do you need some extra cash for your weekly pulls? I can send some your way for a couple issues.

It's not SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY, but here's my LIST LIST LIST anyway.

Superman #51
Midnighter #11
Batman Beyond #11
Batgirl #50
Vision #6
Sheriff of Babylon #5

2 Tom King books, more Darkseid War, Midnighter... this is a good week.

Messi

Messi do you need some extra cash for your weekly pulls? I can send some your way for a couple issues.

No I'm fine. But thank you for the offer. I don't want to bankrupt you. I am unsure if you have ever seen my lists. I pull a few titles.

I am being dramatic, I can buy my books. It's just the bigger purchases are off limits as the root canal came right after I bought like 5 original art pages.

This is GH's department really. I'll try and track him down for you.

I was like whaaaat, but then I remembered the sudden root canal, that's gotta suck.

The Legion One Million characters were all new for the event and were based on existing characters.

Since Legion expert GrandHarrier doesn't post anymore, here are my recommended Legion collections:

The Great Darkness Saga
The Curse
Legion Lost (the original miniseries, not the N52 run)
Legion of Three Worlds

Cool, thanks. Looks like most of those are on IST.

Owzers

I've read up to Ms. Marvel 17 now, going to finish off the pre-new-world SW issues with 18 but this stuff is just not what i'm interested in. It's dumb. This whole
quick turn kidnapping people and preaching at them snobbily is a bore, just bad "comics" comics

Mitch

Banned
No I'm fine. But thank you for the offer. I don't want to bankrupt you. I am unsure if you have ever seen my lists. I pull a few titles.

I am being dramatic, I can buy my books. It's just the bigger purchases are off limits as the root canal came right after I bought like 5 original art pages.
I feel you. I'm moving 1200 miles away in a couple weeks. Might have to pay a $660 reletting fee for my apartment. Then there's all the money for the gas, food, hotel and what not. Plus I may not have the job lined up.

All of you have helped me out this past week with getting back into comics, so I don't have a problem helping anyone in a bad situation to get a couple issues.

Messi

Imma post a proper list in a bit. I'll just have to buy my comics when I get paid later in the week. I'll work on my backlog until then.

TheFlow

Banned
Empress looked cool then I saw it was by Millar...lol I am good

Archie- is 4 dollars an issue so I Will just spurge on later this month.

Teen Titans is looking cool
790116c7f8326864cc6e9065e5c690de._SX640_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Messi

I thought Chrononauts and Huck were great. Millar is doing some good work as of late. Plus dat Immonen art.

Messi

Messi pull lists are about $100+ per week.

Don't you just hate those unforseen expenses?

I fucking love them. Lol. I was about to cave on getting an iPad Pro and then excruciating pain. Maybe it's a sign. Maybe comics were a mistake all along.

I thought Chrononauts was just pure fun. The art was incredible and I wanted to see where they went next. Can't wait for Vol 2.

Empress looked cool then I saw it was by Millar...lol I am good

Archie- is 4 dollars an issue so I Will just spurge on later this month.

Teen Titans is looking cool
[ig]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/cmx-images-prod/DigitalPage/30093939/790116c7f8326864cc6e9065e5c690de._SX640_QL80_TTD_.jpg[/img]

Who is Wonder Girl? Is the head on the mantle they are talking about Lennox?

Messi

Hah, I'm generous but not that generous. Maybe an issue or two. Messi seems to have everything under control though!

I never have anything under control. That is the secret.

I have such little impulse control on regards to money.

Mitch

Banned
I never have anything under control. That is the secret.

I have such little impulse control on regards to money.
My original collection of comics wouldn't exist if I didn't impulse buy. It's a curse and a gift all in one.

Top Bottom