• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just read the first issue and a half of Invincible Iron Man. Pretty good stuff so far. It will not be getting crossed off the list for a while at least.

New Avengers #2 - Yup Songbird is the leader. Lol at Tippy Toe also getting a crystal head. Loved the random AIM scientist coming up with the solution and Bobby going "Mandy was it? Congratulations on the new Lexus" and the scientist is all flabbergasted he knows her name :) Maker knowing this is a new universe and messing with primordial old space ghosts can only go good places. Yeah im putting New Avengers up there with Strange, Amazing Spidey and Invincible Ironman in my favorite ANAD books so far.
It's fantastic. Let's just say it apes a movie we all should love
PacRim you motherfuckers
and it's glorious.
Issue #1 of Dr Strange has some incredible work imo.

AND MORE! I will stop posting about Bachalo now. But I just want to say he might be my fave artist.

also..I am still asking and I am not even sure Scott knew starting out.

Emma-Frost-in-Uncanny-X-Men-32.png
I thought your fave was Anka?

hehehehehehehehe

Messi

Just read the first issue and a half of Invincible Iron Man. Pretty good stuff so far. It will not be getting crossed off the list for a while at least.

Bendis is doing good work in there. Shame Marquez leaves midway to go work on Civil War 2. Say what you will about Civil War 2 but that book will be beautiful.

It's fantastic. Let's just say it apes a movie we all should love
PacRim you motherfuckers
and it's glorious.

I thought your fave was Anka?

hehehehehehehehe

Ideally I would like an Emma Frost book by Ann Nocenti and Kris Anka.

Ideally I would like an Emma Frost book by Ann Nocenti and Kris Anka.

I'd support said endeavour.

Also, Scott answers that question. He states that it was him saying "Mutants aren't going to be fucked with," but he even says he had no real idea. He had a goal, but no endgame. Not even a way to get to the endgame.

Messi

I'd support said endeavour

Sadly so would I.

I joke about Emma but its only a matter of time until we find out what happened to her and she comes back right?? She is who I think of when I think X-Men and its odd that she isn't mentioned at all.

I'd support said endeavour.

Also, Scott answers that question. He states that it was him saying "Mutants aren't going to be fucked with," but he even says he had no real idea. He had a goal, but no endgame. Not even a way to get to the endgame.

Goodness I would find it hard to hate scott anymore than I already do. What a punkass.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hmm Karnak #1 or Howling Commandos #1 next?

Vyer

Thanks everyone, it is much appreciated. May your digital comics be sharp and bright and your physical uncreased and clean smelling (if you're into that sort of thing).

Also happy birthday to Grandharrier wherever you are.

lol

Why is everyone wishing happy birthday to Vyer but not Grandharrier? Did Grandharrier do something wrong?

I'm hurt Messi. Us Rocket fans should stick together.

Nobody gave a fuck when it was my bday, just because I like mutants :(

happy belated birthday Rhaknar!

I don't want to say happy birthday to Vyer after so many people have already done so, there's only so much a happy birthday wish can accomplish and i think the limit has been reached.

...this one meant most of all. Thanks buddy.

i treated myself to Captain America White and Injection Volume 1 in celebration.

Messi

I'm hurt Messi. Us Rocket fans should stick together.

I am sorry, it was friendly fire. Happy Birthday though.

Also it's not Grandharriers birthday.

james-harden-sideeye-gif.gif

Karnak. I am still bitter Bleeding Cool made it seem like Elsa Bloodstone was in Howling Commandos and it turns out it was a completely different person. FUCK THAT SITE. THIS WOMAN HAS BLOND HAIR.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Issue #1 of Dr Strange has some incredible work imo.

AND MORE! I will stop posting about Bachalo now. But I just want to say he might be my fave artist.

also..I am still asking and I am not even sure Scott knew starting out.

Emma-Frost-in-Uncanny-X-Men-32.png

I love the panel layout here, and the creature design.

How do you feel about the taking a picture of a teddy bear and using that as texturing? He also did it with snow in another issue.

Weiss

Banned
I lucked out big time this week. My LCS had all of Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest on the used shelf for 20 bucks a piece.

Just got finished the whole thing and it was amazing. I wasn't really familiar with any of the characters prior to reading and it got me really invested into total D-Listers like Nova and Super Skrull. Phyla-Vell kicked all kinds of ass and she was really the breakout character for me, especially with how legit adorable she and Moondragon were. I actually liked Conquest about as much as I did Annihilation, as I felt the former had some stronger character beats.

Wraith was goddamn stupid though, and if I had any significant complaint is that it's pretty awful to its female characters; only Phyla ends up standing alongside her male compatriots, and then she gets killed offscreen a few years later. She better be that character coming back.

Messi

How do you feel about the taking a picture of a teddy bear and using that as texturing? He also did it with snow in another issue.

Didn't bother me with the teddy, bothered the fuck out of me with the mountain. He did it in Uncanny X-Men towards the end too and it was really blatant.

Sadly so would I.

I joke about Emma but its only a matter of time until we find out what happened to her and she comes back right?? She is who I think of when I think X-Men and its odd that she isn't mentioned at all.

Goodness I would find it hard to hate scott anymore than I already do. What a punkass.
Hopefully Emma comes back, but I dunno.

Scott's idea wasn't wrong. He thought that mutants were getting fucked over, and that a stronger approach needed to be taken. He fucked up, but it's not like he acted like he didn't. I think he hated that everything he worked so hard for, particularly post-M Day, was fucked up by him, and he tried to do that in a mutant world that was recovering from and advancing past that. The problem is that he snapped. He broke. I liked that. I liked that everything was coming back on him. Like he hit rock bottom.

It's why I want another solo series, but about him (adult Cyke) trying to figure his shit out. The thing is, UXM #600 shows him bringing everyone together in peace. He finally did the one great thing he's been working towards. Magneto even points out that Xavier would love it.

And then post-Secret Wars, he became a genocidal maniac. It destroys all that.

Karnak. Especially if you like kung-fu type stuff. Howling Commandos was average. I only read the #0 (SHIELD 50th anniversary issue) and the #6 (Standoff tie-in), and I thought it was super cheesy (not the good kind) and boring. Plus it's only a six issue run.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I am still bitter Bleeding Cool made it seem like Elsa Bloodstone was in Howling Commandos and it turns out it was a completely different person. FUCK THAT SITE. THIS WOMAN HAS BLOND HAIR.

I thought the hair color change was a bit strange.

Now I really don't feel bad about skipping HC?

Messi

Hopefully Emma comes back, but I dunno.

Scott's idea wasn't wrong. He thought that mutants were getting fucked over, and that a stronger approach needed to be taken. He fucked up, but it's not like he acted like he didn't. I think he hated that everything he worked so hard for, particularly post-M Day, was fucked up by him, and he tried to do that in a mutant world that was recovering from and advancing past that. The problem is that he snapped. He broke. I liked that. I liked that everything was coming back on him. Like he hit rock bottom.

It's why I want another solo series, but about him (adult Cyke) trying to figure his shit out. The thing is, UXM #600 shows him bringing everyone together in peace. He finally did the one great thing he's been working towards. Magneto even points out that Xavier would love it.

And then post-Secret Wars, he became a genocidal maniac. It destroys all that.

Karnak. Especially if you like kung-fu type stuff. Howling Commandos was average. I only read the #0 (SHIELD 50th anniversary issue) and the #6 (Standoff tie-in), and I thought it was super cheesy (not the good kind) and boring. Plus it's only a six issue run.

To be fair we don't know what he did and he could have been framed by some inhuman scum.

ew I didnt even notice that. Someone take away Bachalos coloring duties. Thats lazy af. Seriously, someone get him a how to photoshop book thats not from early 00s. Can you imagine what his art would look like with someone like Hollingsworth working it? ugh

I HATE real textures used in comic art. One of my biggest pet peeves.
When done right, it looks great, but taking a picture, setting it over you colors layer, lowering the opacity and using a dumb clone stamp to cover up some parts is some middle school deviant art shit.

frye

And yet, formally, Hanselmann likes unadorned designs: most of his work is arranged in neat, four-by-three grids. “I just want my action (or lack of action) to run smoothly,” he says. “I think all that fancy design shit gets in the way of reading comics.” He finds the layouts of most modern comics “horrifying” and Chris Ware’s recent output confusing, as he doesn’t know “where to go next”. “I believe in the grid,” he says

those Doctor Strange pages made me think of this thing Simon Hanselman said last week

I love Bachalo but I'm totally over this late period JHWIII style of cartooning where page design is more important than storytelling (I know he doesn't always do it but still!)

Messi

those Doctor Strange pages made me think of this thing Simon Hanselman said last week

I love Bachalo but I'm totally over this late period JHWIII style of cartooning where page design is more important than storytelling (I know he doesn't always do it but still!)

Those are just splashes though. He does plenty of traditionally grid based comics.

Sure but I am fairly certain this is intentional
No doubt, but I only think it's intentional because they don't know who the X-Men should hate and they didn't know what to do with Scott given how SW went and how UXM ended.
Shes not bad, shes just drawn that way.
I love that scene. Emma's just like "what up homie."
Bachalos Emma is great imo.

Loved this cover
I never got over Emma wearing black. Felt she looked too much like Illyana.

To those who read the ANAD Mahvoo books:

Best book: The Vision
Worst book: Agents of SHIELD
Most Overhyped: All-New All-Different Avengers
Most Underrated: Illuminati
It's hard to say "best book" and "most overhyped," because I feel like every book has gotten it's far shots and praises. Plus, it's hard for me to pick "best" when there are a lot of good ones.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
To those who read the ANAD Mahvoo books:

Best book:
Worst book:
Most Overhyped:
Most Underrated:

Here are my answers after reading exactly 3 and a half ANAD issues. So try not to take this too seriously....

Best: Invincible Iron Man
Worst: Deadpool
Overhyped: Squirrel Girl
Underrated: New Avengers

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Best book: The Vision
Worst book: Daredevil (not on its own merits, just in relation to the last volume)
Most Overhyped: I don't know, Power Man and Iron Fist?
Most Underrated: Hercules or Mockingbird

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Karnak #1 - whoa thats was...intense. love what Ellis is doing with the character, so cold and calculating. Art is great aswell, just a really great start to the mini series, doesnt feel like a Marvel book. Fucking Ellis and his "I only write 6 issues" bullshit tho man :/

Top Bottom