• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah Howling Commandos #1 wasnt very good :/

How can a book with such outlandish characters be so bland?

mreddie

vision is the most overhyped hands down. if it was released by Image I would think it was average.

giphy.gif

Messi

vision is the most overhyped hands down. if it was released by Image I would think it was average.

I think part of the appeal is the fact that it is such a different take on a character by marvel. It doesn't work as some randomer from Image.

What are your problems with it?

--

SPIDER-MAN #3 Was a really fun issue start to finish. Fuck Ganke.

To those who read the ANAD Mahvoo books:

Best book:
Worst book:
Most Overhyped:
Most Underrated:
Best: Still Squirrel Girl. Vision is my favorite new series though. Very fresh story for Marvel and it's really well told.

Worst one is Daredevil from what I've seen. Shitty villain and poor characterization all around. This is without comparing it to the previous runs. Just seems like a dull comic outside of the Bill Sienkiewicz cover that's been posted here several times.

I don't really like using the terms underrated, overhyped, overrated, etc. so I'll skip those. I only read a handful of Marvel books consistently and I enjoy the ones I read and think they're all great. I've tried a few for a couple of issues (Avengers, New Avengers, Hellcat, etc.) and I thought they were just ok and not worth sticking with long-term so I dropped them.
I like these strips of M&M you've been posting

I also like when Hanselmann gets real in between the funny stoner comics
Check out the Vice stuff and Hanselmann's tumblr if you're interested. I think it's very up your alley.

I think part of the appeal is the fact that it is such a different take on a character by marvel. It doesn't work as some randomer from Image.

What are your problems with it?

--

SPIDER-MAN #3 Was a really fun issue start to finish. Fuck Ganke.
Ganke can go play in traffic. People think he's cute cuz he plays with LEGOs. Like, really?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Doctor Strange - Yeah this one just isn't for me. I really don't like this mystical and magical stuff at all. Plus Stephen just feels like a low rent Tony Stark to me. Also he spells my first name wrong. The art would be adequate if I loved the story but I don't so it's not.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Doctor Strange - Yeah this one just isn't for me. I really don't like this mystical and magical stuff at all. Plus Stephen just feels like a low rent Tony Stark to me. Also he spells my first name wrong. The art would be adequate if I loved the story but I don't so it's not.

I dont like you anymore.

Karnak #1 - whoa thats was...intense. love what Ellis is doing with the character, so cold and calculating. Art is great aswell, just a really great start to the mini series, doesnt feel like a Marvel book. Fucking Ellis and his "I only write 6 issues" bullshit tho man :/
It's such a perfect take on the character and a very natural evolution given the Inhumans' arc.
Yeah Howling Commandos #1 wasnt very good :/

How can a book with such outlandish characters be so bland?
Exactly what I was thinking

PsychBat!

Banned

What's with you and Image?

Why are you putting Image in general on a pedestal like that? Shouldn't we judge individual books on their own merits and not conflate that criticism with the publisher behind it? We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist. And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive!" Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
What's with you and Image?

Why are you putting Image in general on a pedestal like that? Shouldn't we judge individual books on their own merits and not conflate that criticism with the publisher behind it? We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist. And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive!" Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!

This has been an ever-evolving post.

Zombine

Banned
CBR said:
“I, at one point, was supposed to write Wonder Woman: Earth One,” he says. ” J.H. [Williams] was going to draw it.” Unfortunately, “I was told I was not going to do it. Dan DiDio called me and told me he was giving it to someone else. And I said if you take that away from me I can no longer work for you because I have taken many a job for you, sir, on the promise of doing this and now you’re taking it away and I can no longer accept your promises any more. He had his reasons for doing it; this is not me throwing stones. This is just the way things shook out.”

It's life, he was told he was going to get a job but didn't. It hurt his feelings so he left. Fast forward 4 years and now the dude is writing 2 Wonder Woman books and his own version of Year One in the main timeline. Earth One: Wonder Woman is a book that shouldn't be missed out on. It's a hopeful book and incredibly gorgeous to look at and one of the best stories I've read all year.

Unless a story involves harassment, it's probably best not to get too wrapped up in the politics of what goes on behind the scenes. It all worked out in the end, him being on the book at that point in time was just not meant to be.

There's way more failed projects and creative teams that people haven't heard about.

Man Marvel's been really shitty about how they collected Inhumans. Fuck me for attempting to follow a franchise that's all over the fucking place as just storylines in other books.

This is my hell

Is Rucka's run on Wonder Woman good?
Yes. I loved it and I'm so excited for her comic now that he's back writing her.

Re-read and finished the female X-Men book. I really enjoyed it. Almost all of the arcs have rushed endings though, and at times I enjoy the little sidestories moreso than the actual main plot. The one with Jubilee leading the Jean Grey school students against the Arkea controlled Sentinels was awesome.

I miss her mutant powers though. Vampire Jubilee lowkey sucks.

Best book: The Vision
Worst book: Daredevil (not on its own merits, just in relation to the last volume)
Most Overhyped: I don't know, Power Man and Iron Fist?
Most Underrated: Hercules or Mockingbird

I'd agree with most of this, but pull Mocky out of Underrated. Herc super is.

Daredevil is boresville. Power Man and Iron Fist is just...iunno. Not there.

duckroll

Man Marvel's been really shitty about how they collected Inhumans. Fuck me for attempting to follow a franchise that's all over the fucking place as just storylines in other books.

This is my hell

Tried to read a bunch of Inhumans stuff from over the decades, the only memorable one was probably the Jenkins miniseries, and it was mostly because the art was great.

Zombine

Banned
Iron Man is my favorite ANAD book, and I hate Iron Man.

I also feel like my teenage years have finally passed me by: I tried to watch Sin City on Netflix last night and I thought it was the biggest pile of shit ever. When I was 15 I freaking loved it.

Is 35 a lot?

It's not so much that it's a lot but their stories are also more diverse and different from each other. Not so hard following 30 books by DC when a lot of what you have to recall month to month is either retread or at least somewhat similar to stuff before. Stuff like all the gods in WickDiv to the timeline in Black Science and all the characters and interactions in Saga seems a little more complicated when it involved 30 different ones.

duckroll

I liked Young Inhumans, but overall I think the Inhumans are a poor substitute for X-Men.

I don't really see them as a substitute for X-Men at all. More like a large scale alien society with a totally dysfunctional royal family. The trouble is, the ideal premise of Inhumans is hard to write for.

Surely it's a bit early for that?

I thought about it, but I saw other people posting one issue answers

If you'd like, I'll change my answer to Doctor Strange, and Worst Book to Weirdworld. I haven't really read any book I've straight up disliked (except Gwenpool), but Weirdworld hasn't clicked with me past the art.

I thought about it, but I saw other people posting one issue answers

If you'd like, I'll change my answer to Doctor Strange, and Worst Book to Weirdworld. I haven't really read any book I've straight up disliked (except Gwenpool), but Weirdworld hasn't clicked with me past the art.

It's your list man. I've rarely dropped a series I'm interested in after one issue so I always think it's a bit early to judge. But I guess the first issue of Black Panther received a good deal of critical acclaim, so if it didn't click with you its a valid answer.

Uncharted 4 already shipping, tomorrow Civil War... EuroGAF stays winning.

I'd like it as early as possible but I still haven't finished Dark Souls 3 yet!

Two(three?) weeks into Marvel Unlimited ANAD so I have no clue or right to rank:

Best Book: Captain America: Sam Wilson
Worst Book: Karnak(was bored out of my mind reading the first issue)
Overhyped: Squirrel Girl
Underhyped: Invincible Iron Man

I would put Vision in best book just because I've read it separately, but I was sticking to MU.

Aizo

Banned
So Aizo is not only an expert on Japanese culture but on Japanese culture hundreds of years from now.

I think Tokyo Ghost is merely a sci-fi fable. Its Los Angeles has like nothing to do with Los Angeles today, nor is there any hint of today's LA in its version of LA. Much like its Tokyo. I think that's kinda the point.
I didn't mean to say anything to upset anyone. I never said I was an expert on Japanese culture, but I do have a lot of experience with studying the culture, history, and literature. I do live here, so I do feel like I have a very different opinion of Japan than most of the people in the thread. That doesn't mean I'm right, obviously.

You've made a fair point. It just gets tiring when there aren't really any good representations of Japan from the West.
I'm sorry, have you seen three-quarters of the manga series out there today? Big anime girl boobs flopping all over the place. Have you seen Milo Manara's Borgia? Skydoll? Over-sexualization of female characters is hardly limited to American comics. It's literally everywhere. The comic industry has always been a boys club, and it was built on things like this. Change isn't going to come overnight. I don't think it's fair to single out comics originating in one particular country being guilty of this.
Yeah, I mean, if we want to talk about Japan, then yes—the representations of women in Japan are far worse. The treatment of women is generally worse. It's fucking disgusting that I see women with their breasts practically falling out nearly every day in any given shop with magazines, and those are at eye-level for kids. Yikes.

I didn't intend to make it sound like it's a problem with just American comics, but I wished they would help lead the way to progress.

It's your list man. I've rarely dropped a series I'm interested in after one issue so I always think it's a bit early to judge. But I guess the first issue of Black Panther received a good deal of critical acclaim, so if it didn't click with you its a valid answer.

I'd like it as early as possible but I still haven't finished Dark Souls 3 yet!

Woah, I ain't dropping BP. That's a damn good book. It was really just hyped to the max; I don't think it could have ever lived up to those expectations :p

Usagi Yojimbo Saga v6 today. Will need to find something else to bump the order up to $50.

Next week is going to be expensive. GOTG omnibus and Gotham Central omnibus. I hope IST lists both in their deal of the week section.

Who is buying The Dark Knight Returns Gallery Edition next week?
$175...

nah, once you get past the " woah marvel is doing a dark story" the hype settles.

Er, no? It's a good story. That crack about Image has no place here, because a good book is a good book regardless of the publisher. Just saying it's "dark" misses 99% of what makes Vision special.

Zombine

Banned
Usagi Yojimbo Saga v6 today. Will need to find something else to bump the order up to $50.

Next week is going to be expensive. GOTG omnibus and Gotham Central omnibus. I hope IST lists both in their deal of the week section.

Who is buying The Dark Knight Returns Gallery Edition next week?
$175...

Gotham central omni? Damn...

Top Bottom