• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But Whispers of the Old Gods comes out today!
Horrible horrible day. The unions if the public service were protesting today and we have Hannover fair this week... Worlds biggest industry fair.
Also had big trouble with coworkers (even while my boss calmed me down and also told me that he would recommend me to qualify, but I dont see me doing this, I am on the verge of a burnout currently), headache and sleeping problems.

At least I habe thursday a day off.

TheFlow

Banned
250-500 page OHCs are the absolute greatest IMO. You get the oversized art but it's not too heavy to hold. I still really enjoy the omnibus format, though. I usually just read it at my desk.

DC's omnis don't have gutter loss. They haven't in a year or two. In fact, their normal OHCs don't have gutter loss anymore either, because they've been using sewn bindings for them since the beginning of this year.

Multiversity had a little bit of gutter loss unfortunately, but it wasn't much. I'd hardly call it "inexcusable" (I know that's just what you heard and not what you're actually saying it is). Purely glued bindings are much worse than it, being a glued/sewn binding.

I can confirm this

rrc1594

Been getting back to to Marvel already reading Spider-Man. I would also like to get into Captain America, but it seems Rogers isn't alive anymore?

DC's omnis don't have gutter loss. They haven't in a year or two. In fact, their normal OHCs don't have gutter loss anymore either, because they've been using sewn bindings for them since the beginning of this year.

Not the case for Sandman Overture. Especially bad because a lot of the book is two page spreads.

tim1138

Multiversity had a little bit of gutter loss unfortunately, but it wasn't much. I'd hardly call it "inexcusable" (I know that's just what you heard and not what you're actually saying it is). Purely glued bindings are much worse than it, being a glued/sewn binding.

Going from

2uCLeRJ.jpg

to

is definitely inexcusable.

I can take photos when I get home, but that HC is a huge disappointment. Thank God I have the single issues in digital.

What is this and why should i be hype for it?

It's the new Hearthstone expansion, if you don't play Hearthstone already you probably shouldn't be hyped for it.

If you did play Hearthstone but left because of annoying cards that figured into every deck you played against, you should be excited because many of those cards are leaving standard format or have been nerfed.

VanWinkle

Not the case for Sandman Overture. Especially bad because a lot of the book is two page spreads.

That was a standard OHC (not an omni) released before the beginning of the year when they switched to all sewn bindings. I'm still not 100% sure they made the same change to all Vertigo books, but I'm under the impression they have.

Going from

to

is definitely inexcusable.

I can take photos when I get home, but that HC is a huge disappointment. Thank God I have the single issues in digital.

That would definitely be inexcusable...if that's how it actually looked.

This...

Not so bad. And if you put some pulling pressure on the sides you will be able to discern most of the detail that we're not seeing in that picture.

In Ultimate or Prime Earth? Only Captain America I see Captain America: Sam Wilson.

He's back to fighting form as of Sam Wilson #7. He gets his own book pretty soon. Sam isn't going anywhere though, there will be two Cap books. Which is good, Sam is a great Cap.

Ultimate Earth is gone. It was destroyed during Secret Wars.

Tizoc

It's the new Hearthstone expansion, if you don't play Hearthstone already you probably shouldn't be hyped for it.

If you did play Hearthstone but left because of annoying cards that figured into every deck you played against, you should be excited because many of those cards are leaving standard format or have been nerfed.
Oh
Carry on then
I hadnt updated hs in a long time but liked what i played

tim1138

That was a standard OHC (not an omni) released before the beginning of the year when they switched to all sewn bindings. I'm still not 100% sure they made the same change to all Vertigo books, but I'm under the impression they have.

That would definitely be inexcusable...if that's how it actually looked.

This...

Not so bad. And if you put some pulling pressure on the sides you will be able to discern most of the detail that we're not seeing in that picture.

Either way you can't see Captain Marvel with the book open normally, and when he's the focus of the double page spread...

And either way, any amount of gutter loss is inexcusable

Any good Marvel Comic specific podcasts? So many damn movie podcasts its hard to wade through. Found a good DC one that I listen to regularly now that I'm catching up with ANAD I'd like a Marvel one.

VanWinkle

Either way you can't see Captain Marvel with the book open normally, and when he's the focus of the double page spread...

And either way, any amount of gutter loss is inexcusable

You can see at least half of him, as I just showed you. And more if you pull on it a little.

You could say any amount of gutter loss is inexcusable, but your example was massively misrepresentative.

tim1138

You can see at least half of him, as I just showed you. And more if you pull on it a little.

You could say any amount of gutter loss is inexcusable, but your example was massively misrepresentative.

It was also a 30 second photoshop job. Regardless that book has shitty binding and is full of gutter loss.

Gutter loss if a fucking blight and shame on those of you who excuse it.

MG310

Frank Cho has taken his dank memery to the next level (spoilered for possible NSFW, apols to mobileGAF):
in 2016.

I imagine he broke it down to dollars per hour and noticed that he was getting way more to do that one pose over and over again than he was for Totally Awesome Hulk.

VanWinkle

Gutter loss if a fucking blight and shame on those of you who excuse it.

I hate gutter loss. I don't know how you would take what I'm saying as excusing it.

It was also a 30 second photoshop job. Regardless that book has shitty binding and is full of gutter loss.

Nope. This is a bad binding:
Runaways Vol 1
IMAG0650a.jpg

This is a subpar binding:
Multiversity
IMAG0651b.jpg

Bonus picture of good binding (to show off what DC's thicker OHCs look like now):
Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino
IMAG0652c.jpg

I'd estimate there to be <5 instances where the gutter loss is a problem. On the plus side, it lays flatter and stays open easier/earlier than a purely glued binding of similar thickness.

I hate gutter loss. I don't know how you would take what I'm saying as excusing it.

Nope. This is a bad binding:

You have to hand it to BKV, though. I don't think there's a double-page spread in that entire book, maybe even the entire series. Contrast that to a writer like Bendis who has at least two in each issue of every comic he's ever written.

Top Bottom