• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

What a joke, right?

tumblr_no7dw8k85a1qekaybo1_500.gif

It's probably not for you. I think it's really good.

Maybe this run or something, I dunno. Catching up on Spider-Verse, Spider-Island and Superior were all probably my favorite parts of catching up with MU, but just reading the first couple issues so far it just seems so generic and safe? Maybe it's just a quick throw-away arc to kick off ANAD but the whole idea of globe-trotting high-tech Spider-Man just doesn't feel much like Spider-Man for me.

Messi

Maybe this run or something, I dunno. Catching up on Spider-Verse, Spider-Island and Superior were all probably my favorite parts of catching up with MU, but just reading the first couple issues so far it just seems so generic and safe? Maybe it's just a quick throw-away arc to kick off ANAD but the whole idea of globe-trotting high-tech Spider-Man just doesn't feel much like Spider-Man for me.

It's different sure but I really enjoy it. I am enjoying it way more than the last reboot.

Why is Wonder Woman so poorly drawn in Comparison to Batwoman (and basically everyone/everything else) in the latter's World's Finest arc? Her face.... goodness gracious me.

I blazed through the first 30 chapters of Saga recently too. I fucking love it.

I think I need to read Nameless at least three more times to like it for anything more than being a gory visual spectacle. The world was interesting, the body horror and unsettling imagery were very effective, but story-wise...it just was. I can't say if I liked the narrative or not, or if the story was good or bad, because I could barely follow along.

On to We Can Never Go Home

duckroll

Some thoughts of stuff I checked out recently:

Phonogram #1 - Not sure if this series is for me. I don't feel I can really appreciate the references, and the main character being a douche tryhard doesn't do much for me. Plus, it's in black and white. I know, I know, whatever.

Monstress #1 - Fantastic. I definitely want to read more of this. The art's great, the world's interesting, and it's not in black and white! Too bad it's a new ongoing series, and I hate following ongoing stuff.

Descender Vol 1 - Love the visual style. The storyline is pretty much a much of scifi tropes thrown in a blender like what Mass Effect did. Still a good read though. Would be a better read if it were complete. Hate following ongoing stuff!

My Fatale HCs haven't arrived yet. Getting impatient! >_<

ngower

Went to the LCS to try and find a series or two to get into. Is there an absolute must-read book out now? Saga and Sex Criminals I'm reading in trades, and Black Panther #1 looks like it might be a fun one to get into (do we know how long the Coates involvement is gonna be?) , but just curious if there's something that is absolutely essential on the shelves right now.

Went to the LCS to try and find a series or two to get into. Is there an absolute must-read book out now? Saga and Sex Criminals I'm reading in trades, and Black Panther #1 looks like it might be a fun one to get into (do we know how long the Coates involvement is gonna be?) , but just curious if there's something that is absolutely essential on the shelves right now.

I'd say Vision.

Coates is doing at least twelve issues of Black Panther IIRC.

I feel like Vision and Omega Men are classics in the making but not many people seem to talk about Omega Men and it doesn't sell well so I may be the only one on that side.

I feel like Vision and Omega Men are classics in the making but not many people seem to talk about Omega Men and it doesn't sell well so I may be the only one on that side.

There's a bunch of Omega Man fans here. I think at this point it just makes more sense to wait for the trade collecting the whole series since it ends soon.

Tizoc

Some thoughts of stuff I checked out recently:

Phonogram #1 - Not sure if this series is for me. I don't feel I can really appreciate the references, and the main character being a douche tryhard doesn't do much for me. Plus, it's in black and white. I know, I know, whatever.

Monstress #1 - Fantastic. I definitely want to read more of this. The art's great, the world's interesting, and it's not in black and white! Too bad it's a new ongoing series, and I hate following ongoing stuff.

Descender Vol 1 - Love the visual style. The storyline is pretty much a much of scifi tropes thrown in a blender like what Mass Effect did. Still a good read though. Would be a better read if it were complete. Hate following ongoing stuff!

My Fatale HCs haven't arrived yet. Getting impatient! >_<
Monstress is drawn by sana takeda. I could recommend a few other books she worked on if u want
Fatale is by ed brubaker right? Need to catch up to his work

VanWinkle

Got this in just now.

rszimag0655.jpg

Bought it since I've heard pretty good things and it was on sale for only $14.99 on Amazon. Now I just need to get volume 1. :p

Man I love dust-jacketless covers.

That Baron Zemo is in the film? Didn't Daniel Bruhl confirm he was playing Zemo like a year ago?

I avoided nearly all media about the movie, so I have no idea who he is or who he is playing. That might seem like a trivial thing, and I know it is, but it just disappointing. I'm probably overreacting.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Batman 51 was a great conclusion to their run on the series. Lots of great parallels with the first issue but with the characters in completely different mental spaces. Just real good comics.

That one panel
with Jim in silhouette smiling
was perfect.

I've FINALLY read the first 1000 issues of Marvel based on the Marvel Chronological Reading Order. I'll post up an impressions thing at some point, however briefly I'd have to say it hasn't been a totally terrible experience. Some parts are largely forgetful but the moments that were good WERE good - mainly Spider-man, Fantastic Four and Avengers.

VanWinkle

Is East of West good? I know I've heard about it a bunch but I never paid attention to it so I don't know whether it was praise or not. I'm thinking about getting the Year One hardcover.

Calcium

Banned
Double do it.

Do it twice.

Actually just the once is probably fine. Very similar to the Rocket's playoff strategy this year, one win is enough.

Mother's Day is coming up. Nothing says "Thanks for giving birth to me!" better than East of West. One for you, one for Mom.

Owzers

Very nice. Do any of you have the year one hardcover? I'd love to see a couple of pictures of it.

I've been buying the flops so far, haven't rebought it in hardcover form yet but if the quality keeps up i'll probably get it like i did Manhattan Projects.

Top Bottom