• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

shingi70

Banned
I wonder what spoilers might exist to people who read the entire Civil War series. Maybe I'm missing something major since I don't really follow MCU stuff until it releases on digital video.

It's nothing like the book at all.

Justice League was hype. The month wait for #50 and Rebirth #1 will be Miller.

Got this in just now.

rszimag0655.jpg

Bought it since I've heard pretty good things and it was on sale for only $14.99 on Amazon. Now I just need to get volume 1. :p

Man I love dust-jacketless covers.
$15 is a fucking steal. Damn. Id get it but i have most MP in digital.

Just thinking about how well MP is colored and how well Bellaire uses textures and Im reminded again by Bachalos subpar color work and now Im mildly angry.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Ultimates was cool. i thought I would miss Rockafort more than I did. I love me New Galactus.

Hellcat continues to be a dang delight. Anyone that like Squirrel Girl that hasn't checked it out should give it a change. As should people that wanted to like Squirrel Girl but got turned off by the art. I'm not trying to start that fight again, but Brittney Williams is probably a lot less divisive than Erica Henderson.

"I see," said the blind man. Interesting, guess I'll find out in 4-5 months.

Not a theater-goer?

Messi

Ultimates was cool. i thought I would miss Rockafort more than I did. I love me New Galactus.

Hellcat continues to be a dang delight. Anyone that like Squirrel Girl that hasn't checked it out should give it a change. As should people that wanted to like Squirrel Girl but got turned off by the art. I'm not trying to start that fight again, but Brittney Williams is probably a lot less divisive than Erica Henderson.

Not a theater-goer?

You know people say the same shit about her right?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Yeah that helps a lot. I'll definitely give Hellcat a read when it hits MU.

8bit

Knows the Score
Ultimates is really good, enjoyed that a great deal.

I know 2000AD isn't often mentioned, but there's something big going on in the Judge Dredd story that seems to have been building for the last few weeks (well, for the last few years tbh).

frye

I think I need to read Nameless at least three more times to like it for anything more than being a gory visual spectacle. The world was interesting, the body horror and unsettling imagery were very effective, but story-wise...it just was. I can't say if I liked the narrative or not, or if the story was good or bad, because I could barely follow along.

On to We Can Never Go Home

yeah, apparently in the hardcover Morrison actually explained what the heck is going on plot-wise in a way that's not readily apparent in the actual pages of the comic. I don't usually find myself lost in Morrison comics but I will say that I found Nameless pretty confusing. in retrospect it feels like a more extreme version of what he was going for in Final Crisis, where he's trying more than anything to communicate a visceral feeling of something rather than any kind of traditional narrative

Zombine

Banned
Did anyone else notice that the butt boner pic is starting to become its own shape? It's starting to look sort of like the outline of clay face's head.

So I actually watched the Killing Joke trailer.

Fucking hell

Huh. I'll have to give it a look and see how bad the damage is.

I think I need to read Nameless at least three more times to like it for anything more than being a gory visual spectacle. The world was interesting, the body horror and unsettling imagery were very effective, but story-wise...it just was. I can't say if I liked the narrative or not, or if the story was good or bad, because I could barely follow along.

Yeah, I expected it to be bizarre going in because it's Grant Morrison. But all in all, I really liked Nameless. It felt like Lovecraftian science-fiction to me. I won't say I really got the ending, but it was a fun ride.

Monstress #1 - Fantastic. I definitely want to read more of this. The art's great, the world's interesting, and it's not in black and white! Too bad it's a new ongoing series, and I hate following ongoing stuff.

I love Monstress. I don't know how I would feel about it without Sana Takeda on art, but it's a really interesting world they created. If you don't like keeping up with ongoings, you could always just trade-wait. The first Monstress trade comes out in July.

I put them in the wrong order. The good one is the old one, gone forever.

Yeah, I assumed the new one was the one I'd never seen before. It looks like they grabbed somebody fresh out of art school and handed them a new copy of photoshop.

Meh. I'm done defending. Just gonna read the books I enjoy and leave it at that.

I'm sure this isn't the first time you've said this. :)

Damn, IST already shipped my order from yesterday.

Same here. They're really on the ball sometimes.

tim1138

Oh man, thanks for sharing this. I lost it at this bit

Aside from television, movies, music videos, magazines, advertising, the internet, and some clubs, bars, and restaurants, who is catering to the needs of men who like to jerk it while looking at women? These poor marginalized guys only have the entertainment industry, the history of art and commerce, the prevailing attitudes of our culture, and the continued primacy of straight men as both decision makers and the largest market sector, on their side. And also Frank Cho.

frye

that Killing Joke movie is not gonna be a tenth as good as the comic or Return of the Joker so I don't get why they're even making it tbh

Reading Secret Avengers v2 by Nick Spencer, i've a question:

Has Mariah Hill ever been interesting?

Aside from that, Nick Spencer doesn't get enuff respect.

that Killing Joke movie is not gonna be a tenth as good as the comic or Return of the Joker so I don't get why they're even making it tbh

Like All Star Superman before it, it's mystifying to me when they take an incredibly singular visual style and hack it down into the DCAU style. I watched some little promo video and they did this fade between original panels and shots from the movie and I loled bad.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I love Monstress. I don't know how I would feel about it without Sana Takeda on art, but it's a really interesting world they created. If you don't like keeping up with ongoings, you could always just trade-wait. The first Monstress trade comes out in July.

He might as well finish out this arc in monthlies though since the last issue comes out next month.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Reading Secret Avengers v2 by Nick Spencer, i've a question:

Has Mariah Hill ever been interesting?

Aside from that, Nick Spencer doesn't get enuff respect.

She's kind of in a tough spot. Story wise, she's almost always there to oppose the characters that we're rooting for, so it's easy to not like her. She's like Skyler White to the entire Marvel Universe.

I like when Cobie Smulder's plays her.

Maria Hill? Yes. There was a time. I think. Around Dark Reign when SHIELD was taken over by Norman Osborn's HAMMER and she no longer had a job.
I see. Should get around to reading DR some day.

She's kind of in a tough spot. Story wise, she's almost always there to oppose the characters that we're rooting for, so it's easy to not like her. She's like Skyler White to the entire Marvel Universe.

I like when Cobie Smulder's plays her.
She's usually acting as some sort of Female Nick Fury. That shouldn't be a role someone hates.

I mean, DC pulls it off well with Amanda Waller. Hill just... Well, yeah, Hill is quite reminiscent of Skyler, only... Skyler was opposing a control freak monster who was wrong. Hill tends to oppose a control freak monster that has a nasty habit of being correct. (Until fury "died", then steve fucked up with gusto left and right)

Not a theater-goer?

Not really. Very rare situation where I consider a movie a must-see. Last two theater visits were fairly recent with The Force Awakens and Deadpool. Couldn't even tell you before that.

Hard to coordinate that stuff with our work schedules and kid running around, so we almost always default to home viewing.

I'm sure they did. He created an icon out of objectification.

As crazy as it is to imagine a game company might have a passing interest in objectifying female characters, it just may have happened like that this time.

I am as shocked as you are.
Ono is all about the booty. He might secretly be a fan.

I bought the entire collection on Comixology back when they were doing the $1 per issue deal a year or two ago. I really need to sit down and read through the entire thing.

It's probably the best take there is on the teen superhero comic. Because the character doesn't stay that way. You watch him grow into an adult throughout all of the superhero antics.

Top Bottom