• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Oh man that Kirby art on Black Panther is dope. Comixology posted some panels on tumblr:
tumblr_o51ntpkvDG1sa2z61o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o51ntpkvDG1sa2z61o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_o51ntpkvDG1sa2z61o10_540.jpg

Owzers

I think we should trust Vince to give us the level of wrasslin quality we deserve. And now, back to comics!

y'all know there's a wrasslin community OT in NeoGAF right

It's not the coolest place in the world but neither is wrestling

VanWinkle

Okay, who is the artist that did this art in Injustice Year One? Each issue lists like four artists so I don't know.

But he/she does some of the BEST facial expressions I've ever seen in a comic.

Cheska

It's...beautiful...

I know lol

Your collection is so nice Cheska :( I look at your omnis and OHC and absolutes and I look at my collection and... It's just not the same

Love your collection. And how it is so immaculately arranged!

Daaang, Cheska. Amazing collection. I'm jealous of all the wonderful DC stuff you have. My DC collection is only semi-wonderful.

As always, a very impressive collection.

I need to clean out my son's room so I can actually display some of the things that I have. Most of my figures are still sealed, stored in boxes, in my closet. ._______.

You guys rock, thank you so much <3

Besides working and marathoning Empire (just finished S1 and god that show is amazing), I've been reading COMICS!

The Infinity Entity #2 & #3
Oh my god is anyone reading this book? This is top tier cosmic fuckery right here. Feels both Silver-Age as fuck while also just being a cool book. Good lord the stakes are high in this one. Also Adam Warlock dealing it to the upper tier of the cosmic hierarchy:
tumblr_m5klrfJJFp1ql1tbw.gif

Venom: Space Knight #5
Okay what the fuck happened to the symbiote during Bendis' run of GotG? I still don't have any idea what they did to the symbiote (other than "purify" it) and now apparently dudes really want one. Oh, the book is still good by the way.

The Ultimates #5
holy_shit_keegan_michael_key.gif

The New Avengers #8
POD is the greatest, and as I much as I love the TV show, boy are those motherfuckers lame as hell in the comics. Also, fuck Rick Jones.

All-New All-Different Avengers #7
Conversation between Jane and Sam was incredibly touching, as was the moment between Kamala and Vision. Oh, and now I guess I should be reading Standoff, because I haven't been.
Hi ComicsGAF, I've recently gotten into the medium as an adult while largely avoid it as a child. I started supporting my local shop when Alan Moores providence piqued my interests which lead me to a few other comics. Currently I'm reading the Punisher Max series, Providence, a few Vertigo samplers my store gave me, Cable vs Deadpool and Wytches. I've also picked up and finished The Killing Joke.

I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations based on my tastes but I'm open to outside suggestions as well.
Hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jamie Delano's Hellblazer
DAREDEVIL!

Issue #43

Drama is a-brewing in the land of blind lawyers, as Matt Murdock (RIP Mike!) struggles to decide if he should hang up his horns to pursue his budding love with Karen. Here's the deal: even by 1960s standards, nothing we've seen between these two explains the love angle. We're treated to frequent shots of Karen crying over her misfortune of falling in love with a blind dude (ableism at its finest). But why? Matt has barely said a kind word to her in 42 issues. Anyhow, KAREN QUITS!

MNNFAJo.png

Blindness has come between them! Karen confesses her undying love for Matt. Borrowing a page from Mike's playbook, Murdock decides to go full douche mode in order to end their nonexistent relationship. Because nothing helps ease heartbreak better than a nice, hard shove!

dSgGnOD.png

Something, something, a dude steals a bag containing radioactive vials from a nearby hospital. Daredevil "feels" the burning sensation coming off the bag and tracks the villain down. It's as paper thin as it sounds.

MEANWHILE, Captain America is putting on an exhibition fight against someone in a massive arena. He's supporting a charity...this is Cap after all. But Daredevil decides to crash the party and provide a real challenge. Stan Lee, ladies and gentlemen! We're treating to a sweet image of Double D giving Captain a nice thumping. The poor referee is more blind than Daredevil, as both men are very plainly already wearing gloves.

wLDXB4y.png

Daredevil gives Captain the business. ZBOKK! Things get out of hand and the fighters end up falling out of the ring, then crashing down a conveniently located elevator shaft. Eventually, they fight to a standstill and Daredevil decides to bounce. Captain America wonders why he is acting so strange, but decides to sell the whole thing as a great exhibition for the fans. BUT THERE'S A TWIST! It turns out the radioactive vial bag from earlier has had an effect on Daredevil's psyche. To find out exactly what's going on, we have to press on to the next issue.

WtrLN5k.png

-----

Daredevil #44

SO I LIED ABOUT THE RADIOACTIVE TWIST! Stan Lee has abandoned the idea completely, leaving us with no explanation for Daredevil's heel turn last issue. Mike Murdock, is that you?

But take heart, Jester fans! Your favorite yo-yo yielding supervillain is back. This time he's using miniature toy robots to rob jewelry. If nothing else, he's pretty consistent in his modus operandi. The Jester is afraid that eventually his true identity will become exposed, so he plans to frame Daredevil for his faked death.

One issue removed from shoving Karen away, a conflicted Daredevil decides he cannot live without her! Stephenie Meyer wrote a more realistic love story than this!

9h3T3Kg.png

In his real identity as struggling actor Jonathan Powers, the Jester tells the police he's going to announce Daredevil's true identity. The police are like, "Sweet, who is he?" Being ever-the-dramatist, Powers informs everyone that he will announce it in the center of the George Washington Bridge. The press rushes to the bridge! Daredevil plays right into the Jester's trap. We're treated to some pretty shit hot art, as well.

5zfV2vU.png

The press shows up and captures Daredevil fighting off the Jester in his Jonathan Powers getup. The Jester throws himself off the bridge, framing DD for murder! Naturally, our villain escapes in a submarine he parked right below the bridge. Where did he get a freaking submarine? How does he know how to pilot it? How deep is the water? WHO CARES!

6hUd7Gc.png

y7miFKl.png

How about a nice dose of Stan Lee sexism?

BiHLPAd.png

Daredevil tracks the Jester down to Central Park, where he is defeated by exploding popcorn containing poisonous gas! Greatest scene in comic book history. NOBODY EXPECT POISONOUS EXPLODING POPCORN! The Jester wins, and the police show up to arrest Daredevil. They neglect to ask the Jester for his exploding popcorn permit, and are apparently unfazed by the wafts of gas in the air. Next issue!

2xmCdCT.png
The Silver-Age is a beautiful time
I finally updated my youtube with a new room tour video. Not nearly as long as the last one, thankfully lol.

https://youtu.be/aCGHzGMe_sE
Much respect for the Earth 2 and Inhumans by Jenkins and Lee love.
I'd eat them

Venom: Space Knight #5
Okay what the fuck happened to the symbiote during Bendis' run of GotG? I still don't have any idea what they did to the symbiote (other than "purify" it) and now apparently dudes really want one. Oh, the book is still good by the way.

If I'm remembering right, they took the symbiote to a planet full of symbiotes and it had symbiote sex or something with this other symbiote and then became a purified symbiote. Having so much rage is apparently not normal for the species, at least this is the way it was explained.

tl;dr - Bendis

If I'm remembering right, they took the symbiote to a planet full of symbiotes and it had symbiote sex or something with this other symbiote and then became a purified symbiote. Having so much rage is apparently not normal for the species, at least this is the way it was explained.

tl;dr - Bendis

It would make sense that the Venom symbiote would be pissed all the time, considering the whooping it's taken over the years. I mean, it bonded to Mac Gargan at some point.

I'm looking for some other DC stuff I may have missed. I didn't read very far into Justice League Dark. How was the rest of that series?

I'm looking for some other DC stuff I may have missed. I didn't read very far into Justice League Dark. How was the rest of that series?
Read Milligan and Lemire's runs (through vol. 3 in the trades), and then stop. Once DeMatteis takes over it goes bad right quick. The Forever Evil tie-in, which heavily crosses over with Constantine, is not great and the book stays at a nice tepid quality after that. I think there's one more trade but I haven't read it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ANAD stuff starting to pop up on MU this week. Dr.Strange #1 and Invincible Ironman #1 woot woot

That 3 part mini in Batman and Superman Tom Taylor is pretty great. This is the type of Batman/Superman story I needed after BvS.

"Banana muffin" was too damn good.

Mitch

Banned
Black Panther sale! Everyone pick up Priests definitive run. It's so amazing.

https://www.comixology.com/Black-Panther-Sale/page/10284?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

Edit: Oooh Jack Kirby written and drawn Black Panther. Do I dare?
Thanks for the heads up!

Okay, who is the artist that did this art in Injustice Year One? Each issue lists like four artists so I don't know.

But he/she does some of the BEST facial expressions I've ever seen in a comic.
Never read Injustice, but seeing those few panels makes me want to check it out. Love the art.

Mitch

Banned
The leader of the Red Hood gang reminds me of a less sadistic, but equally heartless Joker. Zero Year is proving to be one of my favorite arcs.

Mitch

Banned
It's awesome and that is an interesting opinion. Loved the red hood section.
The way he treats his goons is the defining part of his character, to me. They're all expendable and the way he offs them in such a nonchalant manner is great.

Get caught by Batman? Feeds them fast acting cement and dumps them into the river. Love it.

Black Panther sale! Everyone pick up Priests definitive run. It's so amazing.

https://www.comixology.com/Black-Panther-Sale/page/10284?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

Edit: Oooh Jack Kirby written and drawn Black Panther. Do I dare?

Wonder why only #1-#49 of the Priest run are included. Wikipedia shows he was on till #62.

Oh man that Kirby art on Black Panther is dope. Comixology posted some panels on tumblr:

Damn, that looks good. I guess it will be a while before those are put into Epic collections. :(

...I need to pick up some Kirby. I'll pick these BP issues up. What are his best runs?

I just finished reading #1-#17 of the Priest run and it was awesome.

arkon

Wonder why only #1-#49 of the Priest run are included. Wikipedia shows he was on till #62.

Damn, that looks good. I guess it will be a while before those are put into Epic collections. :(

The first epic is coming later this year. I don't know if it's planned to include those issues though.

I mean Kirby's.

On Priest BP, #1-17 are what's contained in that first collection? I was thinking of just sticking with the Marvel Knights part since I'm kinda strapped for cash.

If you had the money to spend and enjoyed both properties, would you rather buy Bendis' X-Men or Hickman's F4?

Hickman's F4 by a mile.
Sorry Messi.

The first epic is coming later this year. I don't know if it's planned to include those issues though.

Yeah. The Epic v1 has the early Lee/Kirby stuff.

I don't think Marvel is releasing the epics in chronological order, so hopefully the Kirby/Kirby run comes next.

The Priest complete collection v4 will be out first half of next year I am guessing. (v3 is tomorrow).

I mean Kirby's.

On Priest BP, #1-17 are what's contained in that first collection? I was thinking of just sticking with the Marvel Knights part since I'm kinda strapped for cash.

Yeah, the first collection stops at #17 (and a soap opera type cliffhanger on top of that).

#1-#12 definitely form a nice complete arc. I am sure Comixology will have more sales the closer we get to the movie.

Just got to what I believe is the end of Superman Truth and fuck that ended up being absolutely terrible. It actually started so promising but by the end pretty much none of it added up to mean anything and then Superman gets his powers back just willy nilly?

Getting to issue 50 in some of these books it's really feeling like everything was suddenly rushed to make room for Rebirth. Detective Comics especially, that was another story that started out with a lot of potential and then issue 50 its just over, nothing in the issue really adds up or is even important.

Starting with 50 They changed who donned Black panther. I didn't like it after the change.

Bendis X-Men but you are likely going to be told Hickman by nearly everyone.

I mean Kirby's.

Hickman's F4 by a mile.
Sorry Messi.

heh, I'll get both eventually. Although I suppose Hickman's F4 has the greater chance of Marvel letting it go out of print...or its not like they are collecting it in OHCs and his Omnibus Vol 1 is like £150+ now. I'll flip a few coins

heh, I'll get both eventually. Although I suppose Hickman's F4 has the greater chance of Marvel letting it go out of print...or its not like they are collecting it in OHCs and his Omnibus Vol 1 is like £150+ now. I'll flip a few coins

Yeah, that F4 first omni is already out of print and going for a bit. I'm glad I snagged it before it did.

Mitch

Banned
The leader of the Red Hood gang reminds me of a less sadistic, but equally heartless Joker. Zero Year is proving to be one of my favorite arcs.
Okay, so Red Hood One
fell into a vat of acid.

Guess I know why he
reminds me of the Joker so much.

Starting with 50 They changed who donned Black panther. I didn't like it after the change.

Ah, ok. It looks like the complete collection v3 stops at #49

Do you know what happened with #57-#58? They seem to have been written by someone else. Was Priest just taking a break?

Top Bottom