• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Nah, comics are real.

So it's the theatrics you enjoy, then? I honestly don't remember much of what I used to watch as far as that goes.

It's a combination of that, and the action being pretty constant, unlike UFC which often devolves into very boring fights.

Loved both Wonder Woman 1,000,000 and Detective Comics 1,000,000. And the art and colouring in both of them was brilliant. Was surprised to flip back to the cover page and see that the art in DC was Greg Land!

Type2

Hi ComicsGAF, I've recently gotten into the medium as an adult while largely avoid it as a child. I started supporting my local shop when Alan Moores providence piqued my interests which lead me to a few other comics. Currently I'm reading the Punisher Max series, Providence, a few Vertigo samplers my store gave me, Cable vs Deadpool and Wytches. I've also picked up and finished The Killing Joke.

I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations based on my tastes but I'm open to outside suggestions as well.

Calcium

Banned
Hi ComicsGAF, I've recently gotten into the medium as an adult while largely avoid it as a child. I started supporting my local shop when Alan Moores providence piqued my interests which lead me to a few other comics. Currently I'm reading the Punisher Max series, Providence, a few Vertigo samplers my store gave me, Cable vs Deadpool and Wytches. I've also picked up and finished The Killing Joke.

I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations based on my tastes but I'm open to outside suggestions as well.

If you are enjoying Moore I'd suggest reading his Swamp Thing run. It's good stuff.

tim1138

Loved both Wonder Woman 1,000,000 and Detective Comics 1,000,000. And the art and colouring in both of them was brilliant. Was surprised to flip back to the cover page and see that the art in DC was Greg Land!

Land was pretty good back in the day when he actually drew and didn't trace.

DAREDEVIL!

Issue #43

Drama is a-brewing in the land of blind lawyers, as Matt Murdock (RIP Mike!) struggles to decide if he should hang up his horns to pursue his budding love with Karen. Here's the deal: even by 1960s standards, nothing we've seen between these two explains the love angle. We're treated to frequent shots of Karen crying over her misfortune of falling in love with a blind dude (ableism at its finest). But why? Matt has barely said a kind word to her in 42 issues. Anyhow, KAREN QUITS!

MNNFAJo.png

Blindness has come between them! Karen confesses her undying love for Matt. Borrowing a page from Mike's playbook, Murdock decides to go full douche mode in order to end their nonexistent relationship. Because nothing helps ease heartbreak better than a nice, hard shove!

dSgGnOD.png

Something, something, a dude steals a bag containing radioactive vials from a nearby hospital. Daredevil "feels" the burning sensation coming off the bag and tracks the villain down. It's as paper thin as it sounds.

MEANWHILE, Captain America is putting on an exhibition fight against someone in a massive arena. He's supporting a charity...this is Cap after all. But Daredevil decides to crash the party and provide a real challenge. Stan Lee, ladies and gentlemen! We're treating to a sweet image of Double D giving Captain a nice thumping. The poor referee is more blind than Daredevil, as both men are very plainly already wearing gloves.

wLDXB4y.png

Daredevil gives Captain the business. ZBOKK! Things get out of hand and the fighters end up falling out of the ring, then crashing down a conveniently located elevator shaft. Eventually, they fight to a standstill and Daredevil decides to bounce. Captain America wonders why he is acting so strange, but decides to sell the whole thing as a great exhibition for the fans. BUT THERE'S A TWIST! It turns out the radioactive vial bag from earlier has had an effect on Daredevil's psyche. To find out exactly what's going on, we have to press on to the next issue.

WtrLN5k.png

-----

Daredevil #44

SO I LIED ABOUT THE RADIOACTIVE TWIST! Stan Lee has abandoned the idea completely, leaving us with no explanation for Daredevil's heel turn last issue. Mike Murdock, is that you?

But take heart, Jester fans! Your favorite yo-yo yielding supervillain is back. This time he's using miniature toy robots to rob jewelry. If nothing else, he's pretty consistent in his modus operandi. The Jester is afraid that eventually his true identity will become exposed, so he plans to frame Daredevil for his faked death.

One issue removed from shoving Karen away, a conflicted Daredevil decides he cannot live without her! Stephenie Meyer wrote a more realistic love story than this!

9h3T3Kg.png

In his real identity as struggling actor Jonathan Powers, the Jester tells the police he's going to announce Daredevil's true identity. The police are like, "Sweet, who is he?" Being ever-the-dramatist, Powers informs everyone that he will announce it in the center of the George Washington Bridge. The press rushes to the bridge! Daredevil plays right into the Jester's trap. We're treated to some pretty shit hot art, as well.

5zfV2vU.png

The press shows up and captures Daredevil fighting off the Jester in his Jonathan Powers getup. The Jester throws himself off the bridge, framing DD for murder! Naturally, our villain escapes in a submarine he parked right below the bridge. Where did he get a freaking submarine? How does he know how to pilot it? How deep is the water? WHO CARES!

6hUd7Gc.png

y7miFKl.png

How about a nice dose of Stan Lee sexism?

BiHLPAd.png

Daredevil tracks the Jester down to Central Park, where he is defeated by exploding popcorn containing poisonous gas! Greatest scene in comic book history. NOBODY EXPECT POISONOUS EXPLODING POPCORN! The Jester wins, and the police show up to arrest Daredevil. They neglect to ask the Jester for his exploding popcorn permit, and are apparently unfazed by the wafts of gas in the air. Next issue!

2xmCdCT.png

Not trying to piss anyone off, but I find it interesting how many people here are into wrestling. What's the appeal? I watched a little when I was a kid, but pretty much wrote it off when I realized it was fake.

I can't get into UFC because the fans here are unbearable, and most of the fighters are a mix of thugs and Jesus freaks who lie awake at night worried Super Allah Obama's comin' to take their guns.

The last McGregor fight I saw, the other guy came out to the Arron Lewis song about exactly that. Thanks but no thanks.

Injustice caught up.

... year 5 is kinda crap. Buccellato can't seem to craft a narrative as interesting as Taylor.

Ah well, was good while it lasted.

Also nightdamian is such a droll character.

I thought that street fight would involve more street.

Jericho/Punk was the best recent street fight, because they actually came out in street clothes. Gotta live the gimmick!

Nobody ever remembers that match because of the Lesnar/Cena main event that night where Lesnar killed him for 20 minutes, Cena hit Brock once (with a padlock and chain I think?) and won. Then he said he was taking time off, he never did.

Just finished Waid's DD run. Kind of weird to think I just finished a total of 17 consecutive years of DD...

Of course knowing that he heads back to NY in the new run makes his adventures in SF feel like Wasted Potential: The Series. It also ended so abruptly with like a 2 issue Kingpin appearance and then 2 issues were wasted on that weird Original Sin tie-in. They even renumbered it as a big new change too! Thanks Marvel.

Top Bottom