• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

giphy.gif

rideable-gryzzl.0.gif

Outside of obvious classics, which would you say are the best DC series/runs/miniseries of the last 20 years or so? Can include Vertigo/Wildstorm imprint if you want

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Outside of obvious classics, which would you say are the best DC series/runs/miniseries of the last 20 years or so? Can include Vertigo/Wildstorm imprint if you want
The Killing Joke
Watchmen
Gran Batman & Robin
Edit: nvm, I still think its the 2000s when someone asks me about the best of the last xx years

Just read Black Science 21, Remender... Remender pls... Give other comic writers a chance. That's a clear 10/10 issue imo. So good on all fronts. From the implications of Grant's Father's lesson in the narration, To how natural & illuminating the flashback was, to the ultimate payoff of the issue. Some of the best art in the series thus far as well.

It's issues like this that define a comic; that you come back to for years when remembering the series fondly. It's full steam ahead from here too, so I feel like it's about to be back to back hot action.

Secret Six (the pre-New 52, though I'm going to read the new one soon)
Superman: Up, Up and Away (I think that's what it was called, the first One Year Later story)

Planetary
Y: The Last Man
Morrison's Batman & Robin
Gotham Central
Snyder's Batman
All-Star Superman
Superman Red Son
Preacher (if you go back 21 years)

tim1138

Ignoring the obvious choices and off the top of my head, I'd say:

Dysart/Ponticelli/etc - Unknown Soldier
Ellis/Friends - Global Frequency
Sean Murphy - Punk Rock Jesus
Beatty/Dixon/Martin - Batgirl Year One
Abnett/Lanning/Coipel - Legion Lost
Diggle/Jock - Green Arrow Year One
Raab/Lark - Legend of the Hawkman
Morrison/Bond - Vimanarama

frye

^oh yeah Batgirl Year One is the best

tryna keep it to stuff that doesn't get recommended too often:

The first 20~ issues of Catwoman where it's like Cameron Stewart, Guy Davis, Darwyn Cooke, Javier Pulido &c. drawing and Ed Brubaker writing
Joe Kelly/Doug Mahnke JLA (Morrison/Porter JLA is the "obvious classic" here but this run is super underrated and also my preference between the two)
Kyle Baker's Plastic Man
Bryan Q. Miller and co. on Batgirl was lowkey the best Batman comic depending on who was drawing Batman and Robin
Waid/Kitson Legion
Millar/Quitely Authority (with Ellis/Hitch being the obvious classic)
Joe Casey/Sean Phillips/Dustin Nguyen Wildcats (the only Joe Casey comic I've ever liked)

Dysart/Ponticelli/etc - Unknown Soldier
Ellis/Friends - Global Frequency
Sean Murphy - Punk Rock Jesus
Beatty/Dixon/Martin - Batgirl Year One
Diggle/Jock - Green Arrow Year One

The first 20~ issues of Catwoman where it's like Cameron Stewart, Guy Davis, Darwyn Cooke, Javier Pulido &c. drawing and Ed Brubaker writing
Joe Kelly/Doug Mahnke JLA (Morrison/Porter JLA is the "obvious classic" here but this run is super underrated and also my preference between the two)
Kyle Baker's Plastic Man
Bryan Q. Miller and co. on Batgirl was lowkey the best Batman comic depending on who was drawing Batman and Robin
Waid/Kitson Legion
Millar/Quitely Authority (with Ellis/Hitch being the obvious classic)

I approve of all of these. I will have to check out the other ones you guys listed.

The story in Kelly JLA where Wonder Woman's lasso breaks and truth itself starts coming apart at the seams as a result is amazing.

Don Rosa is a genius.

Outside of stuff others have mentioned, I will add Sandman Mystery Theatre. It always seems to fade into the background when people are talking about Sandman and Lucifer and Vertigo from around that time.

Luigi87

Okay, who is the artist that did this art in Injustice Year One? Each issue lists like four artists so I don't know.

But he/she does some of the BEST facial expressions I've ever seen in a comic.

How is the Injustice comic btw? It seemed interesting to me, but I never really gave it a chance.

How is the Injustice comic btw? It seemed interesting to me, but I never really gave it a chance.

Very good. There's a lot of shit going down that you wouldn't see happen in the main DCU, so it's a nice change of pace. It's a lot to catch up on, but you can get through most of it in a good weekend. I bought the first three years and I'm almost done with the first trade of Year Three. They're currently on Year Five, which should be the final one.

Luigi87

Very good. There's a lot of shit going down that you wouldn't see happen in the main DCU, so it's a nice change of pace. It's a lot to catch up on, but you can get through most of it in a good weekend. I bought the first three years and I'm almost done with the first trade of Year Three. They're currently on Year Five, which should be the final one.

Oh damn, there's actually that much content?

That's pretty nice to hear then. I really did like the AU of the Injustice game, and was interested in more of the world. Thinking I'll pick up the Year One CC on Comixology then.

Oh damn, there's actually that much content?

That's pretty nice to hear then. I really did like the AU of the Injustice game, and was interested in more of the world. Thinking I'll pick up the Year One CC on Comixology then.

Well, this is leading up to the events from the game. There were supposedly five years between the time things began and when the game begins.

arkon

Don Rosa is a genius.

Outside of stuff others have mentioned, I will add Sandman Mystery Theatre. It always seems to fade into the background when people are talking about Sandman and Lucifer and Vertigo from around that time.

Is that the Don Rosa artist's edition?

Lovely.

You Are Here and Plastic Man by Kyle Baker
100% by Paul Pope
Batgirl by Bryan Q Miller
Seven Soldiers of Victory by Morrison
Power Girl by Gray, Conner, Palmiotti

I feel like Seven Soldiers gets the least talk of out Morrison's DC stuff, so that's my choice for him. Kill Your Boyfriend would be up there too but it came out in 95.

Still lots of books I have that I need to read more of like JLA, Catwoman, and Flash. I also started Starman a while back and thought it was good but I need to revisit it.

Messi

Power Trip by Conner and Palmiotti
Catwoman by Brubaker and Cooke
Secret Six by Simone and Eaglesham
Catwoman by Nocenti and Sandoval
New Frontier by Cooke
Harley and Ivy by Dini and Timm
Zatanna by Dini and Roux

Top Bottom