• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

VanWinkle

Going to read this now.

rsz_imag0578.jpg

Sam Wilson: Captain America #7
Pretty dope issue. The little one-shots at the end were okay, but not necessary. I don't see why Acuna couldn't just draw the entire main story, but whatevs.

All-New X-Men #7
When did this comic decide to get good? Also terrifying? Dear lord. Also if there's more time travel Imma beat someone.

X-Men '92 #1
Pretty cool, but it didn't feel as fun as the Secret Wars mini. I'll keep rolling with it. Red Guardian was a hell of a pull, though.

Black Canary #9
Nice little story. That's about it. I don't remember what the main plot is.

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. 1953 #2
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaw poor puppy

Huck #5
Well this was a surprisingly hype issue from a very un-hype series. Let's fucking go!

frye

Ended up getting:

I've read probably half of y'alls recs. Was strongly considering Kelly JLA but that early Manke art was a little too struggle for me.

I think I actually prefer him on JLA to Green Lantern (though not to stuff like Frankenstein) because he has a much more sympathetic colourist there

also early Mahnke totally holds up my dude

Sure. in those instances it's more appropriate. But I usually don't do it out of shorthand or old habits or sometimes I forget who the artist was on a series or whatnot. I generally identify things and go where the writer goes.

yeah, I just think it's a good practice to name names and it's something I consciously try and do. Ultimately, I recognize it's also not totally accurate, because two names rarely captures the whole story of what's behind the work (even Miller/Janson Daredevil, which has a writer/penciler and penciler/ inker/colourist on it has a separate letterer) but recognizing that there's an artist involved at all is important imo

(and thanks!)

VanWinkle

Ugh, looks like that The Wicked + The Divine hardcover with the amazing looking front cover has a really tight glued binding just like the Black Science hardcover.

Image, what are you doing

(not my photo)

Up Up and Away didnt make the cut but is put in for future consideration
Ive seen Secret Six rec'd a few times. Never read anything by Simone. Whats it about?

Whats Sandman Mystery Theatre about? I picked up a lot of issues back in the day that I never read perusing half price books.

Secret Six is about a team of DC villains. There are frequent roster changes but the initial six is Catman, Deadshot, Scandal, Cheshire, Ragdoll, and, er, a Parademon. They start out as rebels against the new Secret Society of Super Villains (the one from Infinite Crisis, you don't need to read that though). After the end of Villains United, they go into business for themselves as mercs for hire, "Your enemies are our enemies, and most of our enemies are dead." It's like the heir to Ostrander Suicide Squad, lots of the characters in that are in this for bits. Very strong character work. Lots of nice progressive stuff (there's a thing near the end that you'll be like, "How that did escape Dan Didio's notice just before the New 52?"). Huge amounts of flat-out comic book crazy mixed in as well.

Sandman Mystery Theatre is about the golden age Sandman, not the Endless (though he is visited by Morpheus a few times in dream sequences). It's from Matt Wagner, so it's got a great debt to the Shadow and Grendel. It's less of a superhero story and more of a mix of pulp heroes from the two-fisted tales era and straight up film noir. It's got a more realistic edge than the average version of those stories, and Wesley Dodds isn't really a big, brash hero like a Doc Savage, Phantom or Shadow. He's a chunky, glasses-wearing nerd. Think Nite Owl. His girlfriend, Dian Belmont (who's the DA's daughter), is the focus of a good few stories as well.

Owzers

Weirdworld is joining Master of Kung Fu as my favorite SW tie-ins, two issues in and its maintaining fun book status.

TheFlow

Banned
Ugh, looks like that The Wicked + The Divine hardcover with the amazing looking front cover has a really tight glued binding just like the Black Science hardcover.

(not my photo)

wtf! welp looks like I am going digitally with this series as well.

I'm about to start the new Doctor Fate book. Wish me luck.

Image isn't supposed to do this, we have been comics-betrayed.

Comics-betrayers!!!

Book looks great digitally so that's a bonus.

But I can't put digital comics on my bookshelf. That's an un-bonus.

Dark Horse and Fantagraphics have the best hardcovers

Maybe true. I like Dark Horse artbooks. So sturdy.

No one addressed Kingpin Mini?

No one cares.

Dam you Amazon!

I want my Paper Girls trade tomorrow not Thursday.

(not my photo)

Maybe Image should make a HC like how they did it with Southern Bastards.

TheFlow

Banned
I have decided to start buying the omnibus version of walking dead. it is not the cheapest way to read the series but I love the hc.
{not my pic}
Walking-Dead.jpg

I have decided to start buying the omnibus version of walking dead. it is not the cheapest way to read the series but I love the hc.
{not my pic}

Personally, I think you should go with the regular hardcovers. They're easier to read, they come out more frequently, and they look better on a shelf. Each hardcover has two tpb's worth of content, so the 12 of them that are currently out will take you through the first 24 paperback trades.

TheFlow

Banned
Personally, I think you should go with the regular hardcovers. They're easier to read, they come out more frequently, and they look better on a shelf. Each hardcover has two tpb's worth of content, so the 12 of them that are currently out will take you through the first 24 paperback trades.

either way it is a long wait.

it looks like year per release for each hc. but I am still deciding.

Also guys is the y the last man absolute worth the extra money over the regular hc versions?

edit: nvm just watched a video review and the absolute version is fucking gorgeous.

Also guys is the y the last man absolute worth the extra money over the regular hc versions?

edit: nvm just watched a video review and the absolute version is fucking gorgeous.

I already own the Y hardcovers and don't feel any great need to upgrade. How many total volumes is it going to be in Absolutes?

TheFlow

Banned
no way is this going to be more than 3 volumes. especially when the first volume collects almost more than 1/3 of the series.

it was barely a 60 issue series. each book collectin 20 issues. same with Transmetropolitan. I am going to pick up the first two volumes of both this month.

IMG_3372.JPG

1436791740064.jpg

Literally marathoned the entirety of Fraction's Hawkguy in a day. First of all that was a terrible idea because holy crap I have a headache. Second of all it was amazing and I couldn't stop reading. I'll probably need to reread some of the later issues.

Only complaint is that the Clint/Kate dynamic was so much fun to read that I felt the second half of the run was inferior to the first. Are any of the All-New Hawkguy books any good? I assume they're just meh because I don't think I've ever heard anyone on the internet say anything about them.

Only complaint is that the Clint/Kate dynamic was so much fun to read that I felt the second half of the run was inferior to the first. Are any of the All-New Hawkguy books any good? I assume they're just meh because I don't think I've ever heard anyone on the internet say anything about them.

I am a big Hawkguy and Katie-Kate fan but no, I didn't like either of the new books. In fact I thought they were terrible.

Top Bottom