• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Hmmm lots of #1s this week that I can't decide if I want to try

Bloodlines
Grizzly Shark
Empress
The Fix
Black Panther

...lol guys of course I'm getting The Fix and Black Panther. Who is getting the other three?

Calcium

Banned
Ugh, looks like that The Wicked + The Divine hardcover with the amazing looking front cover has a really tight glued binding just like the Black Science hardcover.

Image, what are you doing

Ugh, what the hell Image? I've held off on buying the Black Science hardcover after reading about these binding issues. Is this something they will fix eventually or will I have to settle?

IMG_3372.JPG

Aw man, that looks amazing. I don't really feel the need to upgrade from my deluxe editions, but this just looks like an unnecessary transaction I'm going to make at some point in the future. Damn it, future me. Get your shit together.

BSherrod

I am a big Hawkguy and Katie-Kate fan but no, I didn't like either of the new books. In fact I thought they were terrible.
Egh, they're aight. I don't think I'm as critical of this stuff as most so take that with a grain of salt. They're a definite step down, though.

arkon

Ugh, what the hell Image? I've held off on buying the Black Science hardcover after reading about these binding issues. Is this something they will fix eventually or will I have to settle?

Aw man, that looks amazing. I don't really feel the need to upgrade from my deluxe editions, but this just looks like an unnecessary transaction I'm going to make at some point in the future. Damn it, future me. Get your shit together.

If it sells well enough they might do another print run which may have better binding. Not beyond the realms of possibility.

Hmmm lots of #1s this week that I can't decide if I want to try

Bloodlines
Grizzly Shark
Empress
The Fix
Black Panther

...lol guys of course I'm getting The Fix and Black Panther. Who is getting the other three?

I'm getting those two plus Empress, and Bloodlines because I hate myself

still a maybe on Grizzly Shark

Whats Sandman Mystery Theatre about? I picked up a lot of issues back in the day that I never read perusing half price books.

It actually has nothing to do with Gaiman's Sandman. It is a more "grounded" super-hero run with the golden age Sandman - Wesley Dodds and his partner Dian Belmont. Set in a very well researched depression era NYC. Very noir feel and deals with a lot of issues from around that time.

Guy Davis does a lot of the art and it looks like this.

end note: how does BKatastrophe always post while quoting a million people. This shit takes too much time

Multiquote is your friend. Just hit the '+' sign while catching up on posts.

Mitch

Banned
no way is this going to be more than 3 volumes. especially when the first volume collects almost more than 1/3 of the series.

it was barely a 60 issue series. each book collectin 20 issues. same with Transmetropolitan. I am going to pick up the first two volumes of both this month.

IMG_3372.JPG

1436791740064.jpg
Added the Absolute Y The Last Man to my IST wishlist yesterday. It looks gorgeous.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Spider Verse #3 - I dont...I dont...what is this book? its so vanilla :/ Its not even bad (I mean its no Ultimate End) but its just fucking bland as shit. I even liked the idea, I like the characters (well most of them) but its just so...safe. No wonder Gwen is the main character >_>

Just read Batman #50 .....I need to marinate on this a bit. This was just kind of weird. The art was pretty amazing though. Sad Capullo's taking a break.

I really liked Bloom, but I'm not sure how I like this finish to his story.

Mitch

Banned
Just read Batman #50 .....I need to marinate on this a bit. This was just kind of weird. The art was pretty amazing though. Sad Capullo's taking a break.

I really liked Bloom, but I'm not sure how I like this finish to his story.
Just finished the Superheavy arc myself. Not sure what to think, to be honest. Glad Bruce is back. I hate Jim Gordon without his signature mustache. I'm just glad this weird robot Batbunny suit is out of the picture.

Just finished the Superheavy arc myself. Not sure what to think, to be honest. Glad Bruce is back. I hate Jim Gordon without his signature mustache. I'm just glad this weird robot Batbunny suit is out of the picture.

The best thing that came out of the Batbunny suit was the tie in with Beyond as if it was an early prototype for the Beyond suit.

I really hated Jim as Batman, it just seemed so weird. I really liked Snyder's run on Batman, but I'm really excited to see a different run at this point.

Luigi87

The best thing that came out of the Batbunny suit was the tie in with Beyond as if it was an early prototype for the Beyond suit.

I really hated Jim as Batman, it just seemed so weird. I really liked Snyder's run on Batman, but I'm really excited to see a different run at this point.

This is how I feel.
Superheavy was my least enjoyed storyline of Snyder's run. I didn't care for how the characters were set up, and some of it felt a tad preachy.
Very much looking forward to what King brings.

I'm so torn on Midnighter and how he's used lately around DC. He almost seems like a cheat button in books where they can get away with just bringing him in to end a fight that the main characters probably won't win. After saying that though I really like that he doesn't care to be used this way because he just loves fighting that much. It fits with the character, but it seems kind of cheap on DC's part. I hope he just becomes a supporting character in the new Nightwing.

IGN posted their review of Poe Dameron #1.

Poe Dameron isn't the immediate success both Star Wars and Darth Vader were last year. This series definitely boasts a competent creative team, and Soule and Noto both show a storytelling confidence as they settle in with this hotshot pilot. But for a series that ostensibly has 30 years in which to explore, it's disappointing to see this first issue acting as a small-scale prequel to The Force Awakens. There has to be more to Poe Dameron's life worth exploring, and hopefully there will be sooner or later.

What a stupid complain. Its the first issue, what shall they do? Tell what happened in all the 30 years.

I can see what they're getting at in a way. It looks like the comic's actually set between Before The Awakening (or most of it) and TFA. It would have been good to see more stories with Poe before that, when he was part of the New Republic fleet. Though they can always go back to that if they want.

VanWinkle

Others enjoyed this book way more than I did at the start, but the final arc (well, the most recent arc) was god-tier.

I gotta be honest. I wasn't really feeling it after a couple issues so I just shelved it for now. Reading the Wonder Woman by George Perez omni instead.

More Turok, without the shitty storyline that became the Dynamite run from last year/2014?
In a team? My attention is piqued

I've not read the Gold Key stuff from Dynamite, but I've heard Solar and Magnus are great, at least. Reviews for this one point to it being very good.

I gotta be honest. I wasn't really feeling it after a couple issues so I just shelved it for now. Reading the Wonder Woman by George Perez omni instead.

Understandable. It was just kind of "solid" for me. There were some cool moments and concepts, the art was solid, but it didn't hook me as hard as other Valiant stuff. The finale was so crazy though, it took everything to 11 and then some. If you ever give it another go, the payoff is huge.

shingi70

Banned
Star Wars oversaturation has commenced.

It really has, I have quite a few Star Wars comics and books that I just don't feel like reading at all.

Trying to get caught up with ANAD and haven't read since January. It's crazy that's it's going to be about $200 to read only three 3 months of back reading.

What's the reading order for Avengers Standoff.

All this Image OHC talk got me scared because I hadn't even opened my Fatale OHC vol 2 since I got it. But, I opened it up just now and it's sewn-glued and the page quality is solid. Phew.

Star Wars oversaturation has commenced.

That happened forty years go.

I dunno. They haven't gone overboard on the comics. With four series' coming out at one time, you can just pick and choose what you read. At least they're unconnected stories where you don't have to be reading four books to understand what the hell's going on.

shingi70

Banned
That happened forty years go.

I dunno. They haven't gone overboard on the comics. With four series' coming out at one time, you can just pick and choose what you read. At least they're unconnected stories where you don't have to be reading four books to understand what the hell's going on.

Star Wars and Darth Vader are semi connected.

Trying to get caught up with ANAD and haven't read since January. It's crazy that's it's going to be about $200 to read only three 3 months of back reading.

What's the reading order for Avengers Standoff.

No access to Marvel Unlimited? The first ANAD books started popping up this month. If you wait another month or so, it will have the books starting where you left off.

$200 buys you over three years of subscription.

shingi70

Banned
No access to Marvel Unlimited? The first ANAD books started popping up this month. If you wait another month or so, it will have the books starting where you left off.

$200 buys you over three years of subscription.

Think I'm going to do that. Might still catch up with the Inhumans stuff.

That awkward moment when your about to pull a fatality on Ras and then some fool from Apokolips shows up and is all "sup homies? I'm about to fuck up your day even more."

Top Bottom