• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Mitch

Banned
Image's decision to use glue binding is really disappointing. Both Black Science and WickDiv would already be ordered if they hadn't gone the cheaper route.

Mitch

Banned
To be honest, the glue bindings don't bother me so much, but poor paper quality is a big no-no.
Thankfully I've never bought something that had poor quality paper, but I've seen how wavy and somewhat transparent it can be.

Went ahead and ordered Old Man Logan #1-3, since I have issue #4 to pick up tomorrow. Thankfully Midtown Comics had them for a buck below list price.

VanWinkle

To be honest, the glue bindings don't bother me so much, but poor paper quality is a big no-no.

I don't like poor paper quality, but I prefer a good binding to a good paper stock, because binding quality can actively affect reading experience. I tight binding means you usually have to hold the pages down with your hand for at least the first quarter and last quarter of the book, and you could also lose detail in the gutter.

I don't like poor paper quality, but I prefer a good binding to a good paper stock, because binding quality can actively affect reading experience. I tight binding means you usually have to hold the pages down with your hand for at least the first quarter and last quarter of the book, and you could also lose detail in the gutter.

I've not run into many that are that tight.

VanWinkle

I've not run into many that are that tight.

I haven't run into any personally that lost words in the gutter, but I have seen plenty that affect double page spreads. And in pretty much any glued binding book, I've had to hold open for the first quarter of the book or more and the last quarter. Glued/sewn bindings that are attached to the spine are not as bad as purely glued, but they can still be affected with gutter loss and not laying flat.

I won't refuse a book because of a glued binding, or else I'd be missing some amazing stuff, but I am definitely very frustrated by a glued binding.

ComicsGAF,

tell me about this War of Kings omnibus that I see listed on Amazon. Is it a sequel to Annihilation Conquest?

Yes. Not sure what is included in that collection but here is a reading order guide:

http://i.imgur.com/N7OXfyI.jpg

I went to War of Kings without reading Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire (read it later) or Secret Invasion Inhumans/Emperor Vulcan (still haven't read those) and understood it fine.

Think I'm going to do that. Might still catch up with the Inhumans stuff.

Good call. If you read more than three Marvel books a month, you're coming out way ahead. If you read 8-10 like I do, it's awesome. If you read ALL THE BOOKS like Rhak, it's practically a requirement.

I would always fall a few months behind on monthlies, and do bursts of catching up. Then I learned to embrace MU and love that cheap six month time warp.

it's the best value in comics outside of not reading comics.

When will DC embrace the Netflix model? I would subscribe immediately, and I don't really read any of their stuff right now (catching up on two books). Can't be a devaluing argument if Marvel is already eating their lunch. Tradition? Aversion to the future?

Come on, DiDio! It'll be YUGE.

When will DC embrace the Netflix model? I would subscribe immediately, and I don't really read any of their stuff right now (catching up on two books). Can't be a devaluing argument if Marvel is already eating their lunch. Tradition? Aversion to the future?

Come on, DiDio! It'll be YUGE.

It kind of is a devauling argument. Apparently their back catalog does crazy well in comparison to Marvel's, so it'd be a much bigger cut out of their bottom line, comparatively.

I guess they could just put the stuff nobody cares about on there.

Falling back to $3 for floppies is the smartest move DC can make right now, and they did it.

All the double shipping might mess that strategy up though. We'll see.

It kind of is a devauling argument. Apparently their back catalog does crazy well in comparison to Marvel's, so it'd be a much bigger cut out of their bottom line, comparatively.

I guess they could just put the stuff nobody cares about on there.

You have anything to back up that claim, or just conjecture? Digital or print? Never heard that. I can't think of a single rational reason for it. Maybe Marvel fans wanting the back catalog shell out for MU and there's no DC alternative? I got nothing.

Putting stuff nobody cares on a theoretical service would be a very DC move. Instantly DOA if they did that. I guess it would technically "prove" the concept doesn't work if that's what they set out to do.

Falling back to $3 for floppies is the smartest move DC can make right now, and they did it.

All the double shipping might mess that strategy up though. We'll see.

Time will tell. Nobody wanting to keep up with the storylines is saving any money on a monthly basis. $6 a month per book you read adds up fast. You are getting double the content. I'm hoping they can keep the quality up with so much output.

$3 issues on a monthly basis would be more ideal in my opinion. Sales numbers after the initial Rebirth spike will prove if they're making the right decision. I'll be in for that first wave, but it's going to take some damn good books for me to shell out $6 a month.

Sandfox

You have anything to back up that claim, or just conjecture? Digital or print? Never heard that. I can't think of a single rational reason for it. Maybe Marvel fans wanting the back catalog shell out for MU and there's no DC alternative? I got nothing.

Putting stuff nobody cares on a theoretical service would be a very DC move. Instantly DOA if they did that. I guess it would technically "prove" the concept doesn't work if that's what they set out to do.

Time will tell. Nobody wanting to keep up with the storylines is saving any money on a monthly basis. $6 a month per book you read adds up fast. You are getting double the content. I'm hoping they can keep the quality up with so much output.

$3 issues on a monthly basis would be more ideal in my opinion. Sales numbers after the initial Rebirth spike will prove if they're making the right decision.
I'm not sure these companies can do $3 a month.

If Snyder had written Robin Rises this would have been a huge crossover not with just the bat books but with the JL books. This story arc is expansive.
Reading Deadly Class vol 3, and Maria kicking ass was so much better than Marcus' angsty bs
Your at the point now where Marcus starts losing is mind. And it gets good.

LosDaddie

Banned
hmm....not happy with AoA omnibus only getting the 45% discount at IST.

Yes. Not sure what is included in that collection but here is a reading order guide:

http://i.imgur.com/N7OXfyI.jpg

I went to War of Kings without reading Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire (read it later) or Secret Invasion Inhumans/Emperor Vulcan (still haven't read those) and understood it fine.

Thanks.
I have the 2 other books you listed. I'll make sure to read them before I get to War of Kings. And damn, it's a nice thick book at 1300 pages.

Have you already preordered the second Omnibus?

I don't see vol #2 listed anywhere.

$3 issues on a monthly basis would be more ideal in my opinion. Sales numbers after the initial Rebirth spike will prove if they're making the right decision. I'll be in for that first wave, but it's going to take some damn good books for me to shell out $6 a month.

Just repeating something I'd heard.

I'm on my phone so I can't really look it up to confirm, but I heard the same thing as Poodle regarding DC trades. I would believe it considering they keep a lot of stuff in circulation and easy to find. You can go to any book store and very easily find classics Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, etc.

So...the Discipline #1

0oj34sE.jpg

frye

Just repeating something I'd heard.

you're probably thinking of the bookscan numbers which measure sales in bookstores (and maybe other places). DC has historically done very well here as either the top comics publisher or second place, and Marvel has done historically very poorly, in recent years coming behind Image

you're probably thinking of the bookscan numbers which measure sales in bookstores (and maybe other places). DC has historically done very well here as either the top comics publisher or second place, and Marvel has done historically very poorly, in recent years coming behind Image

Yeah, that could be where it originally came from.

Branson

Comixology app not saving your place for you guys too? I've been trying to get into the walking dead finally but it's not helping that the app is buggy right now.

IST order complete. How did I do?

5000 Km Per Second HC
Ms. Marvel HC Vol.1
Ms. Marvel HC Vol.2
Wonder Woman Earth One HC Vol.1

PsychBat is in party mood tonight :D

Psychbat always in a party mood.

Meanwhile DC switched to sewn bindings for all of their deluxe edition OHCs at the beginning of the year. Thank goodness, too.

Just in time, too. They knew people would be all about DC again once they made the rebirth announcements. I'm halfway through the tpb of the new Doctor Fate book and I'm really loving it.

Image's decision to use glue binding is really disappointing. Both Black Science and WickDiv would already be ordered if they hadn't gone the cheaper route.

I bought the Black Science one before I knew the deal, but I had to give the WicDiv hardcover a pass because of this. The Black Science hardcover felt pretty cheap as a result.

Top Bottom