• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

El Topo

Is Wic + Div still worth reading? I got fed up with it and dropped the series about 3~4 issues ago. I'd like to think maybe it's gotten better or I just judged it too quickly.

The experimental phase (i.e. Volume 3) is over. To quote Gillen, in this volume "...if something can explode, it will". It's another tonal shift and Cowles is back, i.e. it looks as good as the first volumes.
That said, the sensation and innocence of the first two volumes (for me) is gone. It's still really good, but it's no longer mindblowing.

You must not buy any Marvel books then. Aren't they all $5-6 at this point?

MU costs me $5 a month. I read everything I find even remotely interesting. Trying to equate the two companies from a value standpoint heavily favors Marvel for me.

Almost every Marvel floppy is $3.99, but you knew that already. They also come with digital codes. I think they're overpriced, hence I use MU.

Keeping up with Rebirth will cost you $6 per book. No buffet model available.

Keeping up with Rebirth will cost you $6 per book. No buffet model available.

They're only double-shipping certain titles. Not all of them. And even then, they're keeping the prices at $2.99 per issue. All that remains to be seen is if the books turn out well enough to justify the cost.

Mitch

Banned
People who want physical comics will settle with paying $6 a month. Many will most likely limit the number of series they purchase each month, though. Personally, I'll pick a few to start with and keep a tentative list going for anything I may want to pick up when it's out in TPB.

Messi

The Wicked + The Divine #18:
Well...damn.

My heart is open, she is my fav character in the series. If they hurt her again I am so fucking done. If this turns out to be a tease I am fucking done.

I had two faves and both are toast
Laura and Tara

El Topo

My heart is open, she is my fav character in the series. If they hurt her again I am so fucking done. If this turns out to be a tease I am fucking done.

I had two faves and both are toast
Laura and Tara

Well, Image Comics already kinda spoiled that on their website. I'd also like to say - Spoilers for #18:
Fuck Minerva's parents.

Messi

They're only double-shipping certain titles. Not all of them. And even then, they're keeping the prices at $2.99 per issue. All that remains to be seen is if the books turn out well enough to justify the cost.

17 books are being double shipped if I remember correctly, that is not an insignificant amount.

Well, Image Comics already kinda spoiled that on their website. I'd also like to say - Spoilers for #18:
Fuck Minerva's parents.

I dont read comic websites that arent here or bleeding cool.

All the big titles that actually sell are double shipped, if I'm not mistaken. Hence, $6 per month to follow the storylines.

I know DC has a reputation for LOLtrades, but I'm interested what this means from that standpoint. They should be dropping either twice as quickly or contain twice as many issues, but something tells me it won't be that simple.

Maintaining quality with twice as many issues is the other question. If they can pull it off, it might work.

You know there's someone out there who will drop $102 a month on those books. Even without factoring other DC books or stuff from other publishers, that's crazy expensive.

I don't doubt it. But I think the degree of everyone's individual fandom is their own responsibility. It's their money, they can spend it how they like. DC is going to take advantage of it to any extent that they can.

Doesn't make it any less shitty for most of the people picking up multiple dc books.

No, but if we're talking about a good, quality comic that people are enjoying, then $6/mo. for two issues is more than you're getting from a Marvel book for $3.99.

Eidjinn

there are so many great book that it would be hard to start.

tell us what you are craving to read the most right now and your favorite genres.

Right. What I'm truly craving is: Vertigo, the best praphic novels of the last 18~20 years and lots of Marvel. If there's anything like a great atory arc from Shazam(ugh... Captain Marvel) and Green Lantern I would be really happy!

Looking through the new releases on IST and there's a shit ton of Civil War books

What year is this

I am guessing this is because of Captain America 3.

Order the AoA Omni from IST just now. Hope they haven't sold out already. This is a great deal imo, how often do they have deals like this? I've never been to this site before, always bought from Amazon before.

Standard discount is 42% on all DC/Marvel, ~30% on other publishers.

For the last few months, they have been offering 45% on DC/Marvel.

If you have placed an order with them in the last week, you get an additional 2% discount.

Every week, some new releases are given a 50% discount. This lasts for a week.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
From Image, I read the first 13 or so issues of: Witchblade, Spawn, Gen 13, Wild Cats, Cyber Force and Darkness. Are they any good nowadays?

Don't think Wildcats or Gen13 have been around for a while. They were both Wildstorm books and Jim Lee took Wildstorm to DC a long time ago.

Spawn is still around and I believe Cyberforce has had a fairly recent series but I can't speak to the quality of either.

Don't really know anything about Darkness.

My current favorite Image titles are....

Manifest Destiny
Saga
Lazarus
Revival
Deadly Class
East of West
Chew
The Walking Dead
Southern Bastards

TheFlow

Banned
Right. What I'm truly craving is: Vertigo, the best praphic novels of the last 18~20 years and lots of Marvel. If there's anything like a great atory arc from Shazam(ugh... Captain Marvel) and Green Lantern I would be really happy!
I will come back to you with a list

I want to get into AV but only Vol. 7 is on sale. FBP sounds promising, though.

It's a really strange sale. Only vol 7 of AV and none of the usual suspects. I went wild last time they had a Vertigo sale (October) - Preacher, Ex Machina, Y The Last Man, 100 Bullets, FBP, Bodies, Sandman. But yeah, this one is kind of weak.

My list right above this quote for Vertigo. +Planetary and Transmetropolitan

Marvel:
Bendis' Daredevil
Punisher MAX by Ennis
Anything else Punisher by Ennis
Waid Daredevil
Remender Uncanny X-Force

Image Buy 2 Get 1 sale on Barnes and Noble. All deluxes, omnivore editions, omnibuses and compendiums included and they are already discounted ~30% each. Makes everything a LOT cheaper than IST.

Image Buy 2 Get 1 sale on Barnes and Noble. All deluxes, omnivore editions, omnibuses and compendiums included and they are already discounted ~30% each. Makes everything a LOT cheaper than IST.

Oh. No. :(

I may have to go and see.

EDIT: oh you meant online. I don't have to get up. Sweet.

They don't charge you list price? I know sometimes you have to pay list on the two to take advantage of the offer.

Oh. No. :(

I may have to go and see.

EDIT: oh you meant online. I don't have to get up. Sweet.

Yep, online. Don't do store pickup. They won't give you online prices.

They don't charge you list price? I know sometimes you have to pay list on the two to take advantage of the offer.

The discounts do stack.

Nbq7L13.png

Owzers

Life is Strange, i like the soundtrack and general tone of the game but i don't care at all about the actual playing of the game. I'll probably stick with it a little bit.

i've had bad shipping experiences with barnes and noble. Also, dcbs helps a lot with rebirth double shipping costs.

Is Barnes and Noble better about packaging? I remember ordering books from them and all 3 were bent or ripped. Also the last time I ordered from them.

Mitch

Banned
Ordered 7 Hellboy books a couple years ago when I didn't know about IST. B&N did a horrible job packing the box.

Things that are in my checklist (aside that entire collection): Animal-man, Sandman (when it's reprinted in my country...), Saga, Ms Marvel (the new one and the old one, which I don't know where to start), Moon Knight, Miracleman, Sex Criminals, Infinity, Dark Avengers, Superior Spiderman and Hawkeye.

Also in my list: Transmetropolitan, Astro City, Green Lantern Rebirth, Green Lantern the Sinestro Corps, probably the entire Hellboy universe and The Invisibles.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Nice starting pointing (that collection)? No?

About DC Comics in general: I remember being a fan of Hitman and Starman (It had the same pencils as the Ex machina). Both titles died, right? I also really liked Green Lanterns and Shazam, but nobody said those two had good monthly issues...so... if there's anything worth reading, can you please give me any indications?

Thanks!

Your list sounds pretty good! I'm a big fan of Hellboy (and BPRD, definitely read this too!), Hawkeye, and Sex Criminals.

If you're looking for some Vertigo stuff I'd recommend:
Doom Patrol, Animal Man, and pretty much anything by Morrison
Why I Hate Saturn and You Are Here - Might be OOP, but used prices aren't bad

Top Bottom