• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Placed my IST order:
Wonder Woman Earth One
Akira volumes 2 and 3
5000KM Per Second

I want Megg and Mogg in Amsterdam, but I'm gonna get that off Comixology when it comes out.

Only thing I ordered from BN was my Animal Man omni and it shipped in a box about the same size as the book and it was fine FWIW

Much better than the Doom Patrol omni I ordered off Amazon. That thing is a monster and they packed it with two airbubbles. Of course the sheer weight of the book crushed both of them lol

Placed my IST order:
Wonder Woman Earth One
Akira volumes 2 and 3
5000KM Per Second

I want Megg and Mogg in Amsterdam, but I'm gonna get that off Comixology when it comes out.

I picked up all Akira volumes for cheap when they were on sale. Still haven't gotten around to them. -_-

Will wait for your and Freeza's reviews before getting 5000kmps.

I picked up all Akira volumes for cheap when they were on sale. Still haven't gotten around to them. -_-

Duuuuude. You need to read Akira. It's so amazing. Nothing and I mean Nothing beats Otomo's attention to detail of destruction and rubble. It's amazing work

Yes. More Akira!
Yeah Akira's dope! I really enjoyed the first volume. I posted my thoughts in MangaGAF when I read it. Very good so far.

I posted my pictures when I got it a while ago, but Bartkira is really cool too! Worth a look if you're into Simpsons and Akira.

I'll be sure to post what I think. It looked good.

Yep, Huge install with a 5GB patch.

Not the worst I've seen. The PS4 had a Dark Souls clone called Lords of the Fallen. Really cool game, kind of like Dark Souls Lite. 7GB install, and the day one patch was another 7GB. lololol

The movie is amazing. But the manga is much different. Outside some common themes they're pretty different. I like the manga better because it was able to really flush everything out. An animated movie has to boil it down a lot

Was the manga the source material?

Boogiepop

Man, trying to sort out my ordering. To confirm one more time: the Neal Adams Batman Omnibus is great, right? Thanks to Batman v Superman I'm thinking I wanted a little of each, and was thinking of that as the Batman component (which would've been Absolute Dark Knight, had that not been out of print...) So yeah, just trying to make certain before I pull the trigger.

Mitch

Banned
After seeing Akira when I was 10 and falling in love with it, I've always wanted to read the manga. Will get to it one day. On the wish list it goes!

shingi70

Banned
Not the worst I've seen. The PS4 had a Dark Souls clone called Lords of the Fallen. Really cool game, kind of like Dark Souls Lite. 7GB install, and the day one patch was another 7GB. lololol

Was the manga the source material?

I got Assassin's creed unity for Christmas 2014. Game was 40GB and had a 40GB patch.

Will go see bvs again this weekend, to really confirm my thoughts on it being a disappointingly okay film that doesn't get Superman.

Owzers

Ted Cruz is going to be our next President, have fun while it lasts people, you're only going to get comics based on the Bible pretty soon and there will be no changes in continuity. It's like going back to when i was a kid and had bible trading cards.

Ted Cruz is going to be our next President, have fun while it lasts people, you're only going to get comics based on the Bible pretty soon and there will be no changes in continuity. It's like going back to when i was a kid and had bible trading cards.

The Bible is looooaaaded with retcons and reset buttons. It's the original comic book universe.

Will we get an HD remaster of the Bible Game for PS4?

I got Assassin's creed unity for Christmas 2014. Game was 40GB and had a 40GB patch.

Oh my God. Did they have to overwrite the entire base install!? At that point I would have just deleted it and traded it in. lol

Roman Reigns and Ted Cruz are sillymonkey's favorite power couple.

Eidjinn

Your list sounds pretty good! I'm a big fan of Hellboy (and BPRD, definitely read this too!), Hawkeye, and Sex Criminals.

If you're looking for some Vertigo stuff I'd recommend:
Doom Patrol, Animal Man, and pretty much anything by Morrison
Why I Hate Saturn and You Are Here - Might be OOP, but used prices aren't bad

It's a really strange sale. Only vol 7 of AV and none of the usual suspects. I went wild last time they had a Vertigo sale (October) - Preacher, Ex Machina, Y The Last Man, 100 Bullets, FBP, Bodies, Sandman. But yeah, this one is kind of weak.

My list right above this quote for Vertigo. +Planetary and Transmetropolitan

Marvel:
Bendis' Daredevil
Punisher MAX by Ennis
Anything else Punisher by Ennis
Waid Daredevil
Remender Uncanny X-Force

I read part of that Punisher by Ennis. Fantastic stuff!
Grant Morrison was a name I never picked anything! He seems to be a very consistent writer! Will look for some of his material!

Boogiepop

Guys, people talked positively of Emperor Joker, I think, right? Is the trade that just came out on IST entitles Superman Emperor Joker that, and is it good?

tim1138

The movie is amazing. But the manga is much different. Outside some common themes they're pretty different. I like the manga better because it was able to really flush everything out. An animated movie has to boil it down a lot

The manga is also like 2000 pages, hard to fit that all into a 2 hour movie. The movie is super rad, but the manga is just incredible. I do wish it was on CMX though, I've been meaning to re-read it for ages, but the last couple volumes are so big.

-edit-

It also cracks me up that I've read a manga that neither Tyrant or Freeza have read

tim1138

Well the simple solution would have been to make it a six hour movie and show it in a special theater where all the seats are also toilets. Duh.

I'm pretty sure the movie came out a couple years before the series actually finished, so it would have only been a five hour movie with no ending

shingi70

Banned
Oh my God. Did they have to overwrite the entire base install!? At that point I would have just deleted it and traded it in. lol

Roman Reigns and Ted Cruz are sillymonkey's favorite power couple.

That game launched so poorly, it had so many bugs that they had to a day one patch that might have been a new game.

Owzers

I already feel like my decision making skills in Life is Strange are awful. "It's a rental, if i ruin the world i'll just return it" Sorry in advance character Max.

The manga is also like 2000 pages, hard to fit that all into a 2 hour movie. The movie is super rad, but the manga is just incredible. I do wish it was on CMX though, I've been meaning to re-read it for ages, but the last couple volumes are so big.

-edit-

It also cracks me up that I've read a manga that neither Tyrant or Freeza have read
That's why I love both for different reasons. The fact it has one of the best OSTs doesn't hurt either. And I agree. I'd love to have a digital version too. But I at least still got the phone book versions on my shelf.

Mitch

Banned
Anyone here that doesn't already own a copy of The Force Awakens?

I've got a digital code I wouldn't mind giving away to ComicGAF.

Where do people get Domu for a reasonable price for real

Tim also recommended Domu

actually has anyone ever *seen* Frye and Tim post at the exact same time? *alt account alert*

edit:
reasons Akira movie > Akira manga
in color
easier to hide anime than manga
made in '88 like all great things. i was also born in '88. our release dates are not even a month apart!

Mitch

Banned
The series I always recommend is Monster. I have a couple volumes tucked away. Since it'll be a while until my next physical comic order, I may just pull them out and read them.

frye

Interesting. Domu didn't click with me near as much.

The thing with Domu for me is that it has probably the greatest psychic battle in any comic but the tensest scene is the one at the end with the little girl on the swings and the old man sitting on a park bench staring at each other for 10+ pages

Know what was a good manga? Pluto.

The series I always recommend is Monster. I have a couple volumes tucked away. Since it'll be a while until my next physical comic order, I may just pull them out and read them.

Monster/Pluto/first 2/3 of 20th Century Boys blew my #teenaged mind

Where do people get Domu for a reasonable price for real

Tim also recommended Domu

actually has anyone ever *seen* Frye and Tim post at the exact same time? *alt account alert*

it's never gonna be reprinted en ingles so go hog wild

Boogiepop

That and 20th century boys are two series on my manga need to read list

One manga that doesn't get mentioned much that I love is Kare Kano. For that shojo side of manga it's top tier.

Kare Kano is awesome, both the manga and the (occasionally awesomely bizarre cost cutting) anime. And yes, Naoki Urasawa is freaking amazing too.

If you guys want an awesome little bit of stand-alone manga for your shelf, I'd also totally recommend the collection of Satoshi Kon's short stories titled Dream Fossil. Really good stuff.

frye

Kare Kano is awesome, both the manga and the (occasionally awesomely bizarre cost cutting) anime. And yes, Naoki Urasawa is freaking amazing too.

If you guys want an awesome little bit of stand-alone manga for your shelf, I'd also totally recommend the collection of Satoshi Kon's short stories titled Dream Fossil. Really good stuff.

oh yeah, i dunno how well known this is but Kon was actually one of the assistants on Akira

VanWinkle

WOW. I was looking through my pictures, and I found this picture of my OHC/omni collection from four months ago:
IMAG0201.jpg

Here's my OHC/omni collection now:

To be fair, only this part of my collection has seen such a massive increase. My trade collection is bigger than it was obviously, but not much.

Top Bottom