• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Terrance Howard is insane but Lucious is amazing because of it and so is the show
Goldballs
just joined the Spider-Man cast. Oh Bendis.
ron-swanson-is-excited.gif

JLA #1,000,000 was brilliant.
Big Barda bodied marble WW and Plastic Man bodied Zack Snyder Flash.

That and 20th century boys are two series on my manga need to read list

One manga that doesn't get mentioned much that I love is Kare Kano. For that shojo side of manga it's top tier.

Kare Kano was good fun.

ElNarez

Banned
Black Panther #1 was fucking regal. That's the exact word for it. It's going for it and touching on a lot of stuff in a super smart way. Great fucking book. Buy it.

If you all preorder your books on CMX. You don't have to wait til a certain time for them to be available. You wake up and they are ready to go. That's how I woke up and read BP already.

Hey not sure if this is off topic or not but I have some questions about getting back into reading comics. Anyone mind being PM'ed for a history lesson and some pointers on where to find stuff to read?

Hey not sure if this is off topic or not but I have some questions about getting back into reading comics. Anyone mind being PM'ed for a history lesson and some pointers on where to find stuff to read?

That's actually right on topic. Feel free to post your questions, or check out Zombine's comic starter thread, linked in the OP.

Messi

Read Harley Quinn and the Suicide Squad, Yo Jim Lee is good at this arting thing. He may have a future at this if he does a few more issues.

That's actually right on topic. Feel free to post your questions, or check out Zombine's comic starter thread, linked in the OP.

Okay here goes :

1. Should I bother watching any of the comic movies before Civil war comes out? I've read the main arc of the comics but haven't seen several of the movies in case the back stories come into play at all. I've seen the first avengers, Iron man, and Captain American: Winter Solider. (Pretty random selection)

2. Where is a good place to read comics on the internet? The last I've read were the the arcs of House of M, Decimation, Endangered Species, Messiah Complex and the start of Messiah War.

I'd like to get into these again and find out more about the paths these stories take after Civil war.

3. Spider-man is one of my favorites and I've heard interesting things about the spider verse stuff but don't know where to start. I would really like to know where the Miles Morales spider man arc comes from.

Thanks for any help

Okay here goes :

1. Should I bother watching any of the comic movies before Civil war comes out? I've read the main arc of the comics but haven't seen several of the movies in case the back stories come into play at all. I've seen the first avengers, Iron man, and Captain American: Winter Solider. (Pretty random selection)

2. Where is a good place to read comics on the internet? The last I've read were the the arcs of House of M, Decimation, Endangered Species, Messiah Complex and the start of Messiah War.

I'd like to get into these again and find out more about the paths these stories take after Civil war.

3. Spider-man is one of my favorites and I've heard interesting things about the spider verse stuff but don't know where to start. I would really like to know where the Miles Morales spider man arc comes from.

Thanks for any help

Well, as for 1, that's really more of an MCU question than a comics one, but from what I understand Cap 2 and Avengers 2 will get you pretty much where you need to be.

2) I use Comixology, as does most people here. If you're big into Marvel, you'll want to get a Marvel Unlimited sub. Whole back catalog for 10 bucks a month.

3. Miles is from the Ultimate Spider-Man series. Again, MU is your friend ;D

Is there a good jumping on point, pre-rebirth for the current Superman? Do I need to go back to #1?

#51 seems to be setting up the character's arc as they transition to Rebirth. You could probably start there. Before that, a new arc started across AC, Superman/WW and the regular Superman books with #41, I think. You want the Truth arc.

Lunchpod, Tim wanted me to tell you that

the Darkseid War special this week is a one shot about Grail and JCruz, just like the character one shots from last fall

I don't know why

Is there a good jumping on point, pre-rebirth for the current Superman? Do I need to go back to #1?

I jumped on with a good amount of DC stuff with DC You, most was pretty easy to pick up on pretty quick but Superman and the Green Lantern stuff probably had the most carryover from previous arcs. The books aren't hard to understand on their own but the continuity book to book can be a little confusing when it comes to Superman. I think it was 40 or 41 where it started?

Well, as for 1, that's really more of an MCU question than a comics one, but from what I understand Cap 2 and Avengers 2 will get you pretty much where you need to be.

Sorry I had all this written out to be sent as a PM to someone who could help but didn't think to edit that. Thank for the info there though

2) I use Comixology, as does most people here. If you're big into Marvel, you'll want to get a Marvel Unlimited sub. Whole back catalog for 10 bucks a month.

Sweet I'll look into getting that

Points 2 and 3 were more along the lines of which arcs should I look for in order to find the origins and complete story lines. Any help there?

Sorry I had all this written out to be sent as a PM to someone who could help but didn't think to edit that. Thank for the info there though

Points 2 and 3 were more along the lines of which arcs should I look for in order to find the origins and complete story lines. Any help there?

Not really a Spider-Man (or Marvel) guy m'self, sorry :p

It's been a while since I caught up but the good thing MU actually does do is section comics out by character and by arc. If you sign up with MU you can look at just what Miles is in and read from there or look at the more recent arcs of Spider-Man(Spider Island, Superior Spider-Man, Spider Verse) and start from there.

Not really a Spider-Man (or Marvel) guy m'self, sorry :p

No worries but thank you for all the info thus far!

It's been a while since I caught up but the good thing MU actually does do is section comics out by character and by arc. If you sign up with MU you can look at just what Miles is in and read from there or look at the more recent arcs of Spider-Man(Spider Island, Superior Spider-Man, Spider Verse) and start from there.

Oh okay that works too.. Appreciate it

shingi70

Banned

I'd say the Iron Man, Cap Avengers films are all that's need to understand Civil War.

Grail looks like Skin Diamond.

Boogiepop

For what it's worth on the Miles point, if you have the time for it and are grabbing an MU subscription anyway, I'd totally recommend just reading Ultimate Spiderman from the beginning. It's been a while, but it's all good stuff, and reading the full thing instead would probably make Miles's stuff a little more impactful. It's definitely not tiny so it's a bit of a time investment, but it's certainly plenty doable if you're interested.

For what it's worth on the Miles point, if you have the time for it and are grabbing an MU subscription anyway, I'd totally recommend just reading Ultimate Spiderman from the beginning. It's been a while, but it's all good stuff, and reading the full thing instead would probably make Miles's stuff a little more impactful. It's definitely not tiny so it's a bit of a time investment, but it's certainly plenty doable if you're interested.

You know what, I may just do that. I guess i'll try and figure out which arcs are which before diving right in, but it seems like my best bet.

arkon

You know what, I may just do that. I guess i'll try and figure out which arcs are which before diving right in, but it seems like my best bet.

You can start with Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man which launched with a #1 in September 2011 according to wiki (useful comics pages there with publishing histories etc for various characters)

Mitch

Banned
edit: idk what I'm talking about

Been a while since I last went to a convention. Houston has a couple great comic conventions near the end of the year if memory serves me right. Hopefully Cleveland has something I can go to.

ElNarez

Banned
welp add me to the pile of people who can't process Wonder Woman Earth-One, because, boy oh boy, there's a lot to unpack there

"I stopped reading a comic I didn't enjoy but someone go ahead and walk me through why someone would enjoy it plz thx bye"

lmaoerine

I liked Uncanny, just got behind on catching up when MU started getting into Secret Wars then I got down on the Secret Wars stories and decided to catch up on DC and just haven't gone back yet. Just didn't understand why GB got so much love at least to the point that I had read up to. Somewhere around 17 or 18.

Finished Secret wars. Man Hickman is rally the only one who gets the Fantastic four.

going to start on Omega men tonight

Black Panther was really dope was well.

shingi70

Banned
Won't grab comes until tomorrow morning but I saw some Scans from Superman #51. I'm not really a fan of my Superman being thrown under the bus, to appease cynical fans twice my age.

Top Bottom