• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

I feel like the FF is Marvel's Superman, in that the mainstream image of them is that they're really boring, but in reality they have a ton of good stories. I just haven't read those stories yet. Well, aside from the issue where they fuck shit up in the Watcher's Citadel whilst fighting Doom.

Yeah, I think that's an apt comparison, particularly given both Superman and the Fantastic Four were the original cornerstones of their respective universes. They both seem very basic and simple on the surface but in reality they are complex books that are hard to get right.

Image Expo titles so far:

Afar - Leila Del Duca/Kit Seaton (YA space fantasy, graphic novel)
Horizon - Brandon Thomas/Juan Gedeon (sci-fi conspiracy thriller)
Black Cloud - Ivan Brandon/Jason Latour/Greg Hinkle/Matt Wilson (sci-fi, "Jessica Jones meets Roger Rabbit")
Winnebago Graveyard - Steve Niles/Alison Sampson (satanic horror)
Glitterbomb - Jim Zub/Djibril Morissette (Hollywood horror)
VS - Ivan Brandon/Esad Ribic (post-apocalyptic sci-fi)
The Hunt - Colin Lorimer (fantasy-horror based on Irish folklore)

I know nothing about the creatives but that pitch alone has me completely sold.

The Divided States of Hysteria - Howard Chaykin (paranoia/terrorism)
Lake of Fire - Nathan Fairbairn/Matt Smith (crusaders vs. aliens)
Rockstars - Joe Harris/Megan Hutchison (Almost Famous meets Supernatural)
Prima - Jen Van Meter/Rick Burchett (Ballet studio as espionage front, heists)
Romulus - Bryan Hill/Nelson Blake II (Assassin vs evil society)
Surgeon X - Sara Kenney/John Watkiss, and Karen Berger (!) (bio-thriller)

Prima and Romulus sound fucking awesome

PsychBat!

Banned
I feel like the FF is Marvel's Superman, in that the mainstream image of them is that they're really boring, but in reality they have a ton of good stories. I just haven't read those stories yet. Well, aside from the issue where they fuck shit up in the Watcher's Citadel whilst fighting Doom.

20fcc95ab149bb7fec25f8afa4e8aeac.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Whoa. Guys. You won't believe this.

So I just read the first four issues of the Ms. Marvel OHC Vol 1.
So great. I'm seriously enjoying this. And I'm not done yet, either. Probably gonna finish this whole OHC today.

Am I back? Is this the beginning of a big comeback?

So great. I'm seriously enjoying this. And I'm not done yet, either. Probably gonna finish this whole OHC today.

I don't believe it.

tag quote?

We'll see if you're neck-deep in Standoff by the end of the day

btw Standoff is still a pretty sweet crossover, incredibly

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Black Cloud - Ivan Brandon/Jason Latour/Greg Hinkle/Matt Wilson (sci-fi, "Jessica Jones meets Roger Rabbit")

The Divided States of Hysteria - Howard Chaykin (paranoia/terrorism)
Lake of Fire - Nathan Fairbairn/Matt Smith (crusaders vs. aliens)
Rockstars - Joe Harris/Megan Hutchison (Almost Famous meets Supernatural)
Prima - Jen Van Meter/Rick Burchett (Ballet studio as espionage front, heists)
Romulus - Bryan Hill/Nelson Blake II (Assassin vs evil society)
Surgeon X - Sara Kenney/John Watkiss, and Karen Berger (!) (bio-thriller)

Prima and Romulus sound fucking awesome

Now I just need to know which ones are mini-series so I can cross them off the list.

PsychBat!

Banned

Kipp: Breaker of Comics

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Also, can you guys all give me lists of the OHCs that I should know about that have come out during the time I've been away? I need to get my IST wishlist up to date.

I know I'm not going to like the answer, but which one of these is drawing the thing?
Lemire

I'M MARKING OUT
Now I just need to know which ones are mini-series so I can cross them off the list.
wtf

You're right, I don't believe it.

tim1138

The new Remender/Opena joint sounds intriguing

Frequent collaborators Rick Remender and Jerome Opeña were next up, debuting fantasy series "Seven to Eternity," colored by Matt Hollingsworth and lettered by Rus Wooton. The book is scheduled to debut in the fall.

"We follow a dying knight, who is a member of a disgraced family," Remender said. "He is afforded an opportunity to save the world from a malevolent evil known as the God of Whisperers. He controls the entire place with a prevalent fear. At the core of it, it's very much a story about compromise."

Brandon and Ribic on a title? Sounds very good. Im not sure about the others. I just noticed Im pretty damn satisfied by the current Image ongoings so Im not really excited about any new Image series. I got too many to keep up with as is.

Edit: oh dammit those other announced titles sound good. I wonder what style Opena is gonna use. UXF style pls

Calcium

Banned
Kill or Be Killed - Ed Brubaker/Sean Phillips (crime, probably)
The Black Monday Murders - Jonathan Hickman/Tom Coker ("Probably the best thing I've written in 3 years." Marvel BURIED)
Seven to Eternity - Rick Remender/Jerome Opena (fantasy)

You have my attention.

Kipp I need you to read more Hellboy

You'll love BPRD once it gets going too.

If you're looking for hardcovers, you may want to get that Kill Your Boyfriend/Vimanarama Deluxe Edition.

Moonshine - Brian Azzarello/Ed Risso ("Monsters, werewolves, with a sprinkling of hillbillies.")

the surprising part of this is that this is Azz's first book at Image

Motor Crush - Cameron Stewart/Brenden Fletcher/Babs Tarr (sci-fi racing action, she's also co-writing!)

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Black Panther was everything I was hoping for, and The Fix put a big goofy smile on my face. Vision 6 was top notch too.

Great day for comics all around, and I still have a bunch of books to get to.

BSherrod

Black Panther was dope. There was a lot of set up, but I'm excited to see where it goes. Now on to Vision and my other regulars.

Gold Key Alliance #1

Pretty standard getting the band together issue. I don't have anything much to add other than this feels like an old-school team-up book. Worth checking out if you're at all familiar with the characters.

The Inhumans/Fantastic Four
So this was an interesting story, with half of it being a four-part Inhumans miniseries, and the second half being a four-part Fantastic Four story arc.

So to start off, the first half of the story is awesome. A fantastic sci-fi story that really is where the Inhumans shine: on a political scale. Many of the best Inhuman stories are slow-paced, with little focus on the action. What action is focused on is typically of a "big-picture" nature, by which I mean a political view. For example: the most praised of the Inhumans stories, the Jenkins and Lee run, has very little focus on any actual fighting. Instead, the focus is on the tension of Attilan being under siege from the outside and within, and the decisions that are made by Black Bolt to succeed. In this case, the tension revolves around the Inhumans being captured by Ronan, who wishes to take revenge upon the Shi'ar and Spartoi for how the Kree have been royally fucked in the grand cosmic scheme. This is basically a spy/assassin story, with the Inhuman Royal Family being held hostage and used as weapons in this scenario. As a group of insurgents. It plays to the strength of this particular part of the Marvel Universe, and does a lot of heavy set-up for War of Kings: the relationship between the Inhumans and the Kree Empire, and three of the main kingdoms that seemingly rule cosmic Marvel: the Kree, the Spartoi, and the Shi'ar.

Basically Ronan captures Attilan, using it as a massive battleship -- something we see later on in War of Kings -- and then uses the Inhuman Royal Family as an insurgent force to kill Lilandra, Shi'ar ruler, on her day to be wed to the king of Spartax (J'sonn's father, though in this story he's referred to as Jason). Ronan explains that the Inhumans were bred to be used this way, having each one transform into an existing race within the universe. This way the Kree could plant Inhumans in various races, having insurgents everywhere. It's an interesting bit of lore, but to make a long story short, the Inhumans assassinate Lilandra at Ronan's behest. Black Bolt then challenges Ronan to a duel of honor and beats him. However, his people do not want to go back to Earth, where they were persecuted and out of place. They instead stay in Attilan -- though they do not view Ronan as their ally either -- and choose to roam space. The Royal Family returns to Earth.

The second half is that the Inhumans revisit Earth, but due to being pursued by bounty hunters, crash and are viewed as invaders by the public. Now, the reason bounty hunters were being pursued is because the Lilandra they killed was not actually Lilandra, but a decoy. One of the Inhuman Royal Guard received a vision that someone would attempt to assassinate Lilandra. Jason is framed to be the orchestrator behind it, due to the Inhumans having access passes given to them by him when they befriended him much earlier. Anyways, the FF befriend the returned Royal Family and protect them from the public. It turns out that the Royals are under attack because a secret group of Inhuman children, captured and trained by Nazis, did not want to be revealed since they were heavily inserted in politics, manipulating everything. However, this is confusing since they also state that they were kicked out of Attilan due to being persecuted and feared for their abilities.

Here's my problem with the FF side: it focuses heavily on the FF. The birth of Valeria is a huge focus. Granted, I understand why the FF are there, but I don't care about any of their storylines: just the Inhumans. The children were interesting, as they wanted the Royal Family gone so that the world would not want to build a proposed "Inhuman detection device," which would reveal the children's existence. However due to the FF's presence, with a subplot about Franklin at a boarding school, it gets bogged down with shit I don't care about.

The writing and art on both sides are fine, but the Inhumans half is significantly more interesting. Narration heavy, but the narration manages to only enhance what the art already provides: a mood, tone, and setting that is absolutely encapsulating. I've spoken about it before in a previous post:
Reading Fantastic Four/Inhumans, which collects Inhumans (2000) #1-4 and Fantastic Four #51-54. Currently still in the Inhuman half, but damn it's pretty good. Has a very unique style to it, and it takes a page from Transformers MTMtE in that, while there's a lot of dialogue, there's also a lot happening on each page. It helps to keep you from being bored while still having a lot of dialogue and/or narration. It's a very narration heavy book.

Granted that page is an action scene, but I love the narrator's voice and that's a great example of it.

It also reminds me how dirty Ronan got done in GotG, which makes me sad.

At least someone's not having any of Maximus' shit.
A lot of that sums it up. The FF half is your basic superhero stuff: dialogue that also provides narration, bright and colorful, almost cartoonish art. It's fine, but coming off of the previous half it is most certainly more lackluster than anything. I really enjoyed the Inhuman half of this story, which I heavily recommend to anyone looking for good Inhuman reads. However, I can't recommend the second half unless you are also interested in the FF at the time, which I was not. A good Inhumans story, followed by what may or may not have been a decent FF story.

Yeah, I think that's an apt comparison, particularly given both Superman and the Fantastic Four were the original cornerstones of their respective universes. They both seem very basic and simple on the surface but in reality they are complex books that are hard to get right.

I think the main issue for me right now is that I only read the FF stories that concern the Inhumans, and as a result I don't care about the FF in those instances.

Isola - Brenden Fletcher/Karl Kerschl (ponderous romance, Miyazaki and ElfQuest influences)

okay, I think that's all of them
If at all. There was a thread over on the CBR Image forum recently about all the stuff announced last year that still hasn't come out.

that Nick Spencer/Morgan Jeske comic is probably never gonna come out

Owzers

that Harley Black and white statue is only $49 at amazon, i feel like my odds of getting a good one are really high since i had to return three of them.

shingi70

Banned
Fantastic Four is a series that I didn't start to loce until I started reading through the 616 on Marvel Unlimited. Still not that far in the reading order (haven't even hit Avengers #1), but man Fantastic Four is the most important book in the line of what i've read. The cool thing is that it isn't a superhero book but an exploration book about a series of adventures, who happen to do superheroish things.

I think that's why the team was floundered outside of a few runs, The Avengers are the premier marvel superhero team and has been for a while. The X-men learned that along time ago doubling down on soap Operish superhero notes and focusing on building its own pocket. Likewise a modern day Fantastic Four in theory should be less Avengers and more Challengers of the Unknown or Black Science.

The sad part is the Ultimate is a perfectly good Fantstic Four series.

Top Bottom