• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Paste has an interview up with Remender and Opena about Seven to Eternity - http://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...rick-remender-jerome-opena-pit-men-again.html

There's a bunch of colored pages in the interview, but here are a couple that jumped out at me.
This cover:
yi9a3cG.jpg

shingi70

Banned
Any comics with the premise that the story starts after the bad guy as one. I know of stuff like Wanted and Old Man logan and i'm intrested in that premise.

Owzers

Looking forward to comics when you currently have the greatest champ in wwe history on a weekly basis to entertain you? I don't get it really.

Zombine

Banned
Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Walking Dead was too good. Read it on my lunch and I was like oh my fucking god this is amazing.

Plz play Quantum Break. It's amazing.

Grabbed The Fix and WicDiv for this week. Might get Superman 51 as well just to ft a taste for Tomasi on the book.

Anyone read Empress yet? Worth picking up?

Looking forward to comics when you currently have the greatest champ in wwe history on a weekly basis to entertain you? I don't get it really.
I'd look forward to a Scott Lobdell book over Reigns.

Mitch

Banned
Grabbed The Fix and WicDiv for this week. Might get Superman 51 as well just to ft a taste for Tomasi on the book.

Anyone read Empress yet? Worth picking up?

I'd look forward to a Scott Lobdell book over Reigns.
Empress was a really quick read with some background and slight character build up. Really well drawn, decent writing (by my standards) and left me looking forward to the next issue.

Lots of potentially good books, but the ones that jump out at me right away are:

Isola - I love Karl Kerschl's art.
Seven to Eternity - Remender is always great.
Motor Crush - The concept doesn't sound like it's my thing, but I like the creative team.
Afar - Interesting idea.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a really long and mostly unedited interview with Ta-Nahisi Coates and Evan Narcisse

http://tmi.kotaku.com/spoiler-space-more-from-ta-nehisi-coates-on-black-pant-1769472432

It's a really cool look into his comic reading past, and how he approached writing comics, and the things that he is into now.

Dislikes: DC

Excerpt:
Coates: Everybody’s trying to get back to Peter Parker as a kid. You’ve got to understand when I came to him. I actually came to him as an adult.

Kotaku: Right. That DeFalco ‘80s stuff.

Coates: That’s my era. That Ron Frenz era. It’s not the kid in high school or the kid in college. He had dropped out of college and was a social misfit, living in some bum-ass apartment. That was my Peter Parker. It’s funny because they want to [get] back to the kid but you’ve got the kid, it’s Miles. That’s the kid. That’s the kid right there!

Kotaku: When they announced that Spidey book, I was like, “Come on, son.” So Miles cannot even have this to himself? He can’t even have teenage Spider-Man to himself? You gotta have another competing book?

Coates: He’s going to do fine though. He’s so well written and people read him. I don’t think you can keep him out of the movies actually.

Got another DH library edition:

rsz_imgp0817.jpg

Looks very interesting although I wish more of it was in color. I heard everything starting in library edition vol 2 is color, though, so that's cool.
YES!!!!! Yea the first arc is black and white but then Mack starts really branching out from there. Someone listened to me! Please post impressions when you read it

Finally expanded my Comixology pull list (???) and added Black Panther and Black Widow to go with Vision. Feels wrong spending money on Marvel comics outside of Marvel Unlimited tho

Here's a really long and mostly unedited interview with Ta-Nahisi Coates and Evan Narcisse

http://tmi.kotaku.com/spoiler-space-more-from-ta-nehisi-coates-on-black-pant-1769472432

It's a really cool look into his comic reading past, and how he approached writing comics, and the things that he is into now.

Excerpt:

Thanks for posting this. It was a great interview!

There are things that I would know that I would be a better writer if I read more DC. I’m going to have to at some point. I’m going to have to deal with Frank Miller. I just am.

I do have a couple questions about Panther, as my knowledge of the character isn't very deep.

• Shuri is the one who became the Black Panther in that short-lived series a few years back, right? What happened to her?
  • The two women who used to be T'challa's bodyguards (if I'm remembering correctly), what did they do that put them on the outs with the establishment?

Excerpt:

This is a terrific interview, thanks for the link! I loved it. Choice bits:

But you know what’s crazy? This is what’s scary about it. This is what’s really, really scary about it. It doesn’t feel like work. It feels like being 12 again. I say it’s scary because people can take you for a lot of money like that. You’ll make money off it if it does well so you got to be careful but at the same time it brings me tremendous, tremendous joy to sit and try and figure out who the hell this dude is and what world he lives in.

The fact of the matter is because people don’t take comic books seriously, you actually have more freedom. I feel more freedom to go and take them seriously myself. As in, “This is something that is mine and that I’ve always loved.” I guess I’ve been looking for that place. Yes, it is a relief.

I think one of the things that Priest did...I’ve been thinking a lot about this, mostly about him, Hudlin, and I know Hickman isn’t a Black Panther or writer but he kind of was and kind of made a contribution to the character.

Whatever I might feel about people being kickass, Priest had the responsibility to get people to take this guy seriously. The whole reason you have a movie right now is because of Priest. He had the challenge of getting a mostly white readership to take the guy seriously. Then I feel like the next thing Hudlin was trying to do was almost like trying to write this character for black folks. I was like not only is he badass but you know he is going to tell these white folks what time it is. (laughs)

Coates: We’re kind of getting there, Evan! You know. My man Al Ewing when he was doing Mighty Avengers, he was damn near writing a black book. He basically was writing a black book. And he’s kind of writing one now with The Ultimates.

And even with the new Power Man and Iron Fist, it’s remarkable to me because Danny is actually playing the kind of goofy role that black dudes usually play. Do you know what I mean?

Kotaku: When I wrote up the first issue I was like, “Yeah, they switched roles.”

Coates: They really did.

Kotaku: Before Luke was the one liable to pop off at any minute on some, “Don’t fuck with me shit.” Now that’s Danny. That’s hilarious.

Coates: And Cage is the straight man. It’s funny!

Kotaku: Yep. He’s a family man. He’s like, “OK, cool tempers, cool heads.” Yeah, it’s really, really funny.

When I teach I often tell the kids like, the reader should feel like like the write is taking them on a tour like through a jungle but the writer knows where everything is. The writer knows where every tree is, every root is, every branch. What the sun looks like at this particular point in the afternoon.

Where the mountains are. Everything. And when I read that dude, I’m like, “Oh, you’re taking me somewhere. And you know where you’re going. I don’t have to know.” That’s actually quite a relief in terms of some of the stress and suspense. Because it’s like, “Well I know I’ll find out when I’m supposed to find out.”

You guys should all read the whole thing though!

Coates: The Vision is the best comic book going right now as far as I’m concerned.

youregoddamnright

ElNarez

Banned
I do have a couple questions about Panther, as my knowledge of the character isn't very deep.

The two women who used to be T'challa's bodyguards (if I'm remembering correctly), what did they do that put them on the outs with the establishment?

that's literally in the issue, not counting the interstitials, pages 8 and then 17 to 20

Top Bottom