• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Messi

No. It's a wrap. If you consider a wrap a sandwich then a Burrito is a sandwich

A burrito has more components and requires more work than a sandwich does. It is in the same territory but its not the same. Its more of a dinner item vs a snack.

The way I see it, your setting yourself up pretty high if Miyazaki is your influence.
I think youre kind of mixing up influence and emulation. Almost every comics artist is influenced by Kirby and only a few actually visibly draw like him. Also influence is never an indicator of quality.

so Bloodlines #1 wasn't a very good comic. The worst part is that i'm no closer to finding out the mystery as to why this is a thing than i was before I read this Aspen-ass comic. V. Ken Marion is gonna be a superstar at DC though, he's got a Michael Turner meets Brett Booth style that's gonna land him some high profile books (which isn't to say I liked the art, in fact I hate both those aforementioned guys!). It's not, like, the worst shit, but it's got lines like: "I'd practically jump out of bed to start the day. Not anymore. [wide shot revealing crutches] Because now - I can't jump." Yeah, I don't think i'm staying for all 6 issues.

Mitch

Banned
so Bloodlines #1 wasn't a very good comic. The worst part is that i'm no closer to finding out the mystery as to why this is a thing than i was before I read this Aspen-ass comic. V. Ken Marion is gonna be a superstar at DC though, he's got a Michael Turner meets Brett Booth style that's gonna land him some high profile books (which isn't to say I liked the art, in fact I hate both those aforementioned guys!). It's not, like, the worst shit, but it's got lines like: "I'd practically jump out of bed to start the day. Not anymore. [wide shot revealing crutches] Because now - I can't jump." Yeah, I don't think i'm staying for all 6 issues.
I read it pretty quickly and it just fell flat. All of it.

VanWinkle

YES!!!!! Yea the first arc is black and white but then Mack starts really branching out from there. Someone listened to me! Please post impressions when you read it

Can you link me to your post about it? I was trying to find it earlier. I was flipping through the book and I'm wondering how the story is told and whatnot. I see very little dialog. I'm really curious about understanding what it really is.

If you haven't seen Redline you should.

rzOdoqv.gif

frye

I thought about picking this up but I rememberered that as amazing as that one issue of Arsenal was there's also the other three issues that no one cares about or remembers

Michael turner and Brett booth sounds like an artist out of my nightmares

Can you link me to your post about it? I was trying to find it earlier. I was flipping through the book and I'm wondering how the story is told and whatnot. I see very little dialog. I'm really curious about understanding what it really is.
Ill see if I can find it

So image CMX is doing a sale on a bunch of #1 issues. I've got these 3 on y wish list. Yea? no?

Huck #1
Mirror #1
The Goddammend #1

DC One Million continues to be great. Close to 750 pages in and everything has tied together so nicely. It reads like one big OGN.

Resurrection Man was very interesting. Was the regular run good?

Just reached Robin #1,000,000.
Robin the Toy Wonder :(

frye

DC One Million continues to be great. Close to 750 pages in and everything has tied together so nicely. It reads like one big OGN.

Resurrection Man was very interesting. Was the regular run good?

Just reached Robin #1,000,000.
Robin the Toy Wonder :(

I haven't read more than the core series and JLA but the story is Morrison gave very detailed plot outlines for all the tie ins except for Garth Ennis on Hitman who he just told to take the piss out of it

Messi

I turned to the first page of Wicked and the Divine and said "oh yeah...thats the good shit". Didn't realize how much I missed McKelvies art. But damn he is good. Just perfect for this book, please never leave again.

Messi

One question guys. The Black Panther book will be releasing later this year correct?

The finished trade? Its a 12 issue run I believe I heard. So that is 2 trades one may be out by years end the other one middle to late next year id assume.

I haven't read more than the core series and JLA but the story is Morrison gave very detailed plot outlines for all the tie ins except for Garth Ennis on Hitman who he just told to take the piss out of it

That makes sense. All events should be structured like that.

No joke, I was literally JUST thinking about your posts on this. I really think I will start this after I finish the Wonder Woman omni. It sounds great and it's been sitting on my shelf for months.

Do it. Will take you a long time but every issue has something enjoyable. And so many great creators. You never know what the next issue will bring.

The finished trade? Its a 12 issue run I believe I heard. So that is 2 trades one may be out by years end the other one middle to late next year id assume.

I think 11 issues is just the first arc. Coates is already talking about a "second season" in his interviews.

Messi

Ill see if I can find it

So image CMX is doing a sale on a bunch of #1 issues. I've got these 3 on y wish list. Yea? no?

Huck #1
Mirror #1
The Goddammend #1

Get monstress. That first issue is stunning (whatever happens in the rest of the series) and its also 71 pages long.

Loads of great issues in that list. BTW Rumble #1 is free, download that shit. its awesome.

I think 11 issues is just the first arc. Coates is already talking about a "second season" in his interviews.

oh wow that is awesome news.

shingi70

Banned
Quantum Break is pretty legit, watching the first TV episode and this is early game of the year material for me.

I like the art from the bloodlines preview, and even Brett Booth's art, I just feel that Booth needs lighter colorist and inker. The artwork from the faith series reminds me of Booth's artwork but with a lighter color pallet.
FAITH_001_006.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
1 more ANAD title added to MU, Amazing Spider-Man #1

1 more ANAD title added to MU, Amazing Spider-Man #1
Nice. Here's my takes of the comics so far.

That Avengers book. - Real rough. If that's supposed to generate hype of those books it did nothing
Doctor Strange - Awesome! Best new marvel book I've read in ages. Bachelo is a great fit for this book
Lando - like the mini as a whole. Meh
Shattered empire - really cool. Love Rucka in any form
Vader - fun but Vader is really acting dumb.
Old Logan - this ended oddly. More a setup book then an end of a mini.

Messi

Nice. Here's my takes of the comics so far.

That Avengers book. - Real rough. If that's supposed to generate hype of those books it did nothing
Doctor Strange - Awesome! Best new marvel book I've read in ages. Bachelo is a great fit for this book
Lando - like the mini as a whole. Meh
Shattered empire - really cool. Love Rucka in any form
Vader - fun but Vader is really acting dumb.
Old Logan - this ended oddly. More a setup book then an end of a mini.

Now imagine paying like $5-$6 for it.

Boogiepop

Is a falafel a sandwich??

To follow up on this important question, the actual falafel part is the little fried balls (of chickpeas/beans), and it's a great little vegetarian option. Actually super bummed that there used to be a cheap little Mediterranean place near me that I loved to order the stuff from (in a pita wrap deal) which was great, but it must not have done much business as it didn't take long for it to die off. And now the only Mediterranean places near me are a bit too far out to justify going to even vaguely regularly. :(

Also wait, wasn't I posting in comic gaf?

(I too read the latest Walking Dead and enjoyed it. Going to be weird moving to monthly pickups on this, after that mass marathon I just did to catch up...)

Messi

It'd rage so hard. Such a clunky mess. It killed so much hype I don't know if I'll muster the time to read them at no additional cost. I guess Waids avengers but even that was really shaky. Ultimate S at least has a cool crew.

What books were included in that?

Ultimates is the best out of all of them
Waid Avengers is so meh. Its just there.

I checked:

Avengers, meh
Ultimates, legit great
A-Force, not as good as secret wars book but still readable. lovely art
Uncanny Avengers, meh but getting better. Stegmans art is really rough starting out.

What books were included in that?

Ultimates is the best out of all of them
Waid Avengers is so meh. Its just there.
It was a-force (though it took me most it's story to tell), ultimates, some crazy new avengers book, Deadpool losing his mojo story in that rough uncanny avengers book, Waids book, and squadron supreme wasting everyone's time.

Top Bottom