• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Messi

It was a-force (though it took me most it's story to tell), ultimates, some crazy new avengers book, Deadpool losing his mojo story in that rough uncanny avengers book, Waids book, and squadron supreme wasting everyone's time.

Squadron supreme is crap

New Avengers is the crazy book. Not worth the time. Avengers books havent been so hot since Secret Wars. Bar ultimates.

That 0 issue might be worth it just for this lovely moment.

8KtZnZb.jpg

E2WbgU0.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
How many penises are in that book? Also how bound is Diana?
There is ton of her being chained up

Also, she offers Steve Trevor a Bondage Collar

Basically Morrison wasn't joking when he said he was going way into Marston and the character

PsychBat!

Banned
Ultimates has ways to go from being really great. The art and the ideas Ewing puts forth in that book are impressive, but those are the only things that are making this book readable to me.

Maybe having characters that aren't doing nothing?

Pls. Carol is already planning that next Civil War. But Galactus sees through her. He's going to stop her with a powerbomb through the fabric of the universe. Then Ms. America will finish her off with a Randy Savage elbow drop. This comic practically writes itself.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ANAD time

ANAD Point One #1 - Glorified ad for Contest of Champions and a bunch other anad books (Carnage, Agents of Shield, DD, Rocket & Groot, All New Inhumans), it was ok for what it was I guess. I would have been excited about DD from the little snippet here with Blindspot, too bad it didnt pan out.

ANAD Avengers #0 - Another glorified ad, but this time its for all the new Avengers books so its much more interesting. Ultimates looks great (amazing art and dat America Chavez), ANAD Avengers looks cool with crazy Vision, New Avengers art is all I wxpected from my boy Sandoval, Uncanny's art is as bad as I feared but I liked the short story with Deadpool, the only part I didnt care much for was Squadron Supreme but that was expected :/

Man these 50 page books kinda drain you dont they.

Messi

ANAD time

ANAD Point One #1 - Glorified ad for Contest of Champions and a bunch other anad books (Carnage, Agents of Shield, DD, Rocket & Groot, All New Inhumans), it was ok for what it was I guess. I would have been excited about DD from the little snippet here with Blindspot, too bad it didnt pan out.

ANAD Avengers #0 - Another glorified ad, but this time its for all the new Avengers books so its much more interesting. Ultimates looks great (amazing art and dat America Chavez), ANAD Avengers looks cool with crazy Vision, New Avengers art is all I wxpected from my boy Sandoval, Uncanny's art is as bad as I feared but I liked the short story with Deadpool, the only part I didnt care much for was Squadron Supreme but that was expected :/

Man these 50 page books kinda drain you dont they.

That Vision story is the most interesting thing that has happened in ANAD Avengers sadly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
HOLY FUCKBALLS DR.STRANGE #1 WAS RIDICULOUSLY GOOD HOLY SHIT

Edit: oops caps...I dont even care, it was that good.

Messi

HOLY FUCKBALLS DR.STRANGE #1 WAS RIDICULOUSLY GOOD HOLY SHIT

Edit: oops caps...I dont even care, it was that good.

That and Vision were the standouts early on. Also Iron Man has been really good so far.

Edit: Btw Vision stays awesome as does Strange. Great books.

Rhaknar

Yo this Invincible Ironman #1 art is fantastic :eek:

Saw BvS today, you can read my review in the spoiler thread if you're interested in reading my thoughts. Here's the non-spoiler version: I liked it more than MoS, but since I didn't like MoS at all that's not saying much. Movie's got problems from top to bottom.

Also: I'm working on a thread, it's going to be a lengthy one and I want to get it right so I'm a long ways off from completing it which means you're a long ways off from seeing it. However, seeing BvS today helped reinforce for me the idea that something is wrong with Wonder Woman, or that the wrong ideas have "won" when it comes to Wonder Woman, and if you read my review you can probably guess what that's all about and get a glimpse of what the thread will be.

Black Widow #2 was also good comics.

Really enjoying how this book has a grittier feel to the art versus Daredevil. The use of cross-hatching is great.

I thought about picking this up but I rememberered that as amazing as that one issue of Arsenal was there's also the other three issues that no one cares about or remembers

Michael turner and Brett booth sounds like an artist out of my nightmares
yeah like nothing is weird or interesting in it, it's just forgettable
I like the art from the bloodlines preview, and even Brett Booth's art, I just feel that Booth needs lighter colorist and inker. The artwork from the faith series reminds me of Booth's artwork but with a lighter color pallet.
you might be right, because the art in Faith is what puts me off it. Like it goes from gorgeous Marguerite Sauvage openings to... that. Thankfully Pere Perez is drawing the ongoing, i like him okay. Drew some issues of BQM Batgirl, one of my favs
The Fix is like an R-rated Superior Foes. Fucking great comic.
that last page is amazing
image.php

Mifune

Mehmber
So you're saying that Waid's Avengers isn't very good? This makes me really sad. I loved his Fantastic Four back in the day.

Black Widow #2 was also good comics.

Really enjoying how this book has a grittier feel to the art versus Daredevil. The use of cross-hatching is great.

Can't wait to read this in four months via MU.

Rhaknar

Invincible Ironman #1 - damn this was actually really good. I mean you guys said it was good but its the Bendis so you never know but man, super fun book. Art is amazing, writting is super snappy, using Masque and Doom has me intrigued, hell of a first impression. And I dont even particulary like Ironman.

Amazing Spider-Man #1 - And its a hat-trick on excellent ANAD books, this was fantastic. My favorite Spider-Man artist, Mockingbird, Spider Mobile, Doc Ock loomimg, new angle with Parker Industries, great stuff. The short stories serving as ads for the rest of the spider books were ok-ish, nothing much changed from pre-ANAD. Im super psyched for Silk and Spider Woman as I was before, im so-so on Spidey 2099 as I was before, and I dont particulary care for Spider Warriors or Miles. Or Gwen even if that wasnt in the book.

And now, back to Secret Wars stuff... kind of a bummer actually lol

Timo

The Fix and Visions were fuckin great. Black widow was kinda not good, and i dunno what happened in black panther, i only got that for stelfreeze.

Owzers

And now, back to Secret Wars stuff... kind of a bummer actually lol

I need to read those two issues soon, i'm currently in the Secret Wars mini-phase and i might want out?

still reading:

Weirdworld
Civil War
Thors

finished:

Masters of Kung Fu
Old Man Logan - bought monthly
Marvel Zombies - bought monthly
Spiderverse
Siege

So, what are the top priorities out of these? I feel like if i read them all i might burn comics to the ground?

Deadpools Secret Secret Wars - after i read more of Duggan's run
Planet Hulk
SW: Battleworld
Ultimate End
Infinity Gauntlet
Inhumans: Attilan Rising
MODOK Assassin
Secret Wars Journal
Where Monsters Dwell
Amazing Spider Vows
Armor Wars
Future Imperfect
X-tinction Agenda
Years of Future Past
1602 Witch Hunter Angela
Wrong Marvel and the Wrong Corps
Mrs. Deadpool and the howling commandos
Runaways
Squadron Sinister
Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies
E is for extinction
Red Skull
Age of Apocalypse - i still need to read the first event
Guardians of Knowwhere
Captain Britain and the mighty defenders - i never even heard of this one
Howard the Human
Hail Hydra
House of M
Hank Johnson agent of hydra

Honestly i got five into that list and decided to finish typing the whole thing out stubbornness while scrolling through my MU library. Why would someone allow so many comics to exist?

Rhaknar

Secret Wars #6 - Kinda...boring actually :/ A lot of setup for the end battle but nothing much happens besides
T'challa getting a infinity gauntlet
. Not sure if its SW burn out or it was just a boring issue, but it did nothing for me. Even Ribic's art seemed lazy.

Also it doesnt help that some events are obviously from tie ins I havent read yet, but that one's one me

Edit: events like in

Siege #4, where Thanos is captured (well surrenders) to have his little chat with Ben Grimm that you see a bit of in SW #6. Great ending to one of the best tie ins of the event, as The Shield falls to the horde but its clobbering time for good old Ben.

PsychBat!

Banned
Secret Wars #6 - Kinda...boring actually :/ A lot of setup for the end battle but nothing much happens besides
T'challa getting a infinity gauntlet
. Not sure if its SW burn out or it was just a boring issue, but it did nothing for me. Even Ribic's art seemed lazy.

set up issue.

Also it doesnt help that some events are obviously from tie ins I havent read yet, but that one's one me

the tie ins don't affect the main plot

Sandfox

I need to read those two issues soon, i'm currently in the Secret Wars mini-phase and i might want out?

still reading:

Weirdworld
Civil War
Thors

finished:

Masters of Kung Fu
Spiderverse
Siege

So, what are the top priorities out of these? I feel like if i read them all i might burn comics to the ground?

Planet Hulk
Ultimate End
Infinity Gauntlet
MODOK Assassin
Secret Wars Journal
Where Monsters Dwell
Amazing Spider Vows
Armor Wars
Future Imperfect
X-tinction Agenda
Years of Future Past
1602 Witch Hunter Angela
Runaways
Squadron Sinister
E is for extinction
Red Skull
Guardians of Knowwhere
Howard the Human
Hail Hydra
House of M

Honestly i got five into that list and decided to finish typing the whole thing out stubbornness while scrolling through my MU library. Why would someone allow so many comics to exist?

Deadpool was fun, especially if you are knowledgable about the original Secret Wars and I also enjoyed Renew Your Vows.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

still reading:

Weirdworld
Civil War
Thors

finished:

Masters of Kung Fu
Spiderverse
Siege

Planet Hulk
Ultimate End
Infinity Gauntlet
MODOK Assassin
Secret Wars Journal
Where Monsters Dwell
Amazing Spider Vows
Armor Wars
Future Imperfect
X-tinction Agenda
Years of Future Past
1602 Witch Hunter Angela
Runaways
Squadron Sinister
E is for extinction
Red Skull
Guardians of Knowwhere
Howard the Human
Hail Hydra
House of M

Infinity Gauntlet, Inhumans, and Squadron Sinister are probably the three best IMO. I also loved The Runaways and AoA (Blink!).

Rhaknar

Weirdworld #4 - Still fantastic, still drop dead gorgeous. Thank god this is one of the books that got 5 issues.

The new book is struggling I assume, because we cant have nice things afterall?

TheFlow

Banned
Soooo many new Image books, why can't the ones I'm already reading wrap up so I can read these new ones.

chew is ending soon. I think there a couple that will end soon as well.

kirkman won't end his shit. when the main characters die he will just make someone else the main character.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The beauty of the Image system is that you can follow a shitload of different titles but because of hiatuses you are never buying them all in the same month. I'm up to 34 or 35 titles now but this month only 18 of them are coming out. Last month it was only 14.

Watched Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox. It was solid. Good animation and fights, but it could have been longer to world build a bit more. Pretty mid-tier. Also fuck Barry Allen

Top Bottom