• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

TheFlow

Banned
Rat Queens #1

Yea the art wasn't as bad as the preview led me to believe.

The writing is fucking great. I love the dialog. Especially the line "what's with men and tentacles"

I am trying to decide if I should pick up the hc of this and Lazarus or keep the digitally train going.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just had the most wtf moment in ages... I really liked Contest of Champions #1 >_>

I was so ready to dismiss it that I almost didnt add it, a comic based on a shitty mobile game lolwhut... but its kinda fun. And it uses obscure ass characters, and the art is gorgeous... what the fuck man?

Oh and issue #2 is actually on MU aswell even tho it doesnt show up in the weekly update so I guess ill read that and see if #1 was just a fluke.

Sandfox

Just had the most wtf moment in ages... I really liked Contest of Champions #1 >_>

I was so ready to dismiss it that I almost didnt add it, a comic based on a shitty mobile game lolwhut... but its kinda fun. And it uses obscure ass characters, and the art is gorgeous... what the fuck man?

Oh and issue #2 is actually on MU aswell even tho it doesnt show up in the weekly update so I guess ill read that and see if #1 was just a fluke.

Contest of Champions is good, but nobody really talks about it.

Messi

Rat Queens #1

Yea the art wasn't as bad as the preview led me to believe.

The writing is fucking great. I love the dialog. Especially the line "what's with men and tentacles"

I am trying to decide if I should pick up the hc of this and Lazarus or keep the digitally train going.

The hardcover is lovely and takes you right up until the not great art starts. The book is still good and the art is serviceable but it loses its energy after the first two artists. Tess Fowler's art is very static at times.

The writing stays top notch if you liked that first page. Its as crude as ever. Team Betty!

Contest of Champions is good, but nobody really talks about it.

This is real talk. I've been reading this book since the relaunch and its good. Lovely art.

TheFlow

Banned
hmm will think on the hc decision. but yea Rat Queens has proved itself.

Someone should make a thread about this image sale. Great time for people to jump in

Messi

Wash your mouth out with soap. This is Al Ewing on writing. He wrote the amazing Loki Agent of Asgard, Mighty Avengers and is currently writing The Ultimates.

I wish Sejic could have stayed on the book.

He would only have died in the process. :p

Nah he wasn't happy. Didn't like having one of the few books he reads every month spoiled by having to draw it. Liked it better when he was just a fan.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wash your mouth out with soap. This is Al Ewing on writing. He wrote the amazing Loki Agent of Asgard, Mighty Avengers and is currently writing The Ultimates.

I know but its...its a Contest of Champions book Messi ;_;

Issue #2 was great aswell btw, motherfucking
Punisher 2099
lolwhut. This book is random in all the right ways

The hardcover is lovely and takes you right up until the not great art starts. The book is still good and the art is serviceable but it loses its energy after the first two artists. Tess Fowler's art is very static at times.

I feel like Fowler's art is more suited to traditional fantasy illustration than a comic series where the art is required to be grounded more in cartooning.

Messi

I know but its...its a Contest of Champions book Messi ;_;

Issue #2 was great aswell btw, motherfucking
Punisher 2099
lolwhut. This book is random in all the right ways

IT KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND THE ART STAYS AWESOME. AL FUCKING EWING. MOTHERFUCKER.

I feel like Fowler's art is more suited to traditional fantasy illustration than a comic series where the art is required to be grounded more in cartooning.

Absolutely. But her art isn't a trainwreck like some people act. Its perfectly fine and the story still holds up its end of the bargain. Plus the fun adventure is back next arc. Its not Roc or Sejic but we will make do. Just wait a month and get it for over half off if you don't feel it is worth the full price. :)

Vyer

Considering there's a Clark Kent AND a Superman running around separately in Rebirth Action Comics, my guess is New 52 Superman is depowered to save his life, with his powers going to that guy from The Super Man title that's coming.

Ah, interesting idea. Hadn't kept up with the other stuff. Is it worth reading?

Her art is straight out of 2nd Ed AD&D manual interiors.

It'd be neat if she did a group piece similar in style to the Shadows Over Mystara character select screen, actually:
gfs_45443_1_15.jpg

Ah, interesting idea. Hadn't kept up with the other stuff. Is it worth reading?

Poodle's the man to ask about that. I'm going to go back and pick up the Truth arc over time to see what I missed.

Man, I really wish DC Unlimited was a thing sometimes.

TheFlow

Banned
ok guys anything else that considered legit from Image that no one talks about?

edit: yea I am super LTTP when it comes to Luthor Strange. can't believe I just started reading this shit in 2016

edit: yea I am super LTTP when it comes to Luthor Strange. can't believe I just started reading this shit in 2016

There was a series a while back called Butcher Baker: The Righteous Maker by Joe Casey and Mike Huddleston. I'll leave it at that. :D

TheFlow

Banned
There was a series a while back called Butcher Baker: The Righteous Maker by Joe Casey and Mike Huddleston. I'll leave it at that. :D

bought the first two issues. looks trippy. but I will give anything a try

tyrant
7 bucks an issue? yea added to my wishlist. preview looks cool

Echoshifting
bought #1.

ok I think I am done with #1. I am going to wait for the newer series to finish their arcs before I decide if interested.

Owzers

Danger Club was fairly great but i never finished it because it got delayed. Eight issue series, you should try that.

Ross61

Man, what a time to be a comic book reader. So many great comics this year, and I'm still not even caught up on my list smh.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I just retread all of The Vision. Tom King is really something special, I'm just about ready to follow him to the ends of the earth at this point. Does Omega Men require any foreknowledge, or can I jump right in?

I just retread all of The Vision. Tom King is really something special, I'm just about ready to follow him to the ends of the earth at this point. Does Omega Men require any foreknowledge, or can I jump right in?

Apart from maybe wanting to know who Kyle Rayner is, no. You will want to re read issues though, quite a lot goes on.

Art and descriptions for the Young Animals line:

Regardless of how any of this turns out, I'm just happy somebody other than me remembers and loves Shade. Now if they would finally give the original the omnibus treatment, or at least a full set of TPBs, instead of stopping before the best material.

You seriously didnt expected Jason after they showed a guy with a red hood in the opening?
That's not the point. I knew it was him before the game even dropped. My point was that his reveal wasn't until at least the halfway point, so your complaint is invalid.
That's why I finished with a 92% completion. I wasn't about to hunt for those damn Riddler trophies.
Good. It wasn't worth it.
Another plotline of City they fucked over. Basicly every tease for Knight turned to shit.

Also the great side quest were gone, the only really great was the one with Professor Pyg.
The DLC side missions were all great. A good chunk of the side missions were solid. Problem is that a lot of the conclusions were a bit botched. I don't see how Azrael's was one that got fucked over, though.
Sorry to throw things off topic. Just really getting back into comics again. What are some good DC Omnibus to get?

JSA

arkon

bought the first two issues. looks trippy. but I will give anything a try

tyrant
7 bucks an issue? yea added to my wishlist. preview looks cool

Echoshifting
bought #1.

ok I think I am done with #1. I am going to wait for the newer series to finish their arcs before I decide if interested.
It's 7.99 but you're getting a fair bit for that. A few 22+ page comics plus supplementary material in every issue.

----

Really like the sound of those Young Animal books except maybe Mother Panic. Sick of Gotham. In for the first issues.

Zombine

Banned

Manifest Destiny for sure. Rumble as well. Jupiter's Circle is stellar as well.

Don't let these bandwagon fans fool you. I had to talk about Low by myself for the first arc.

Black Science #1

So a more crazy Sliders? I'm so in!

Wicked + Divine #1-2

Really enjoyed the first issue and really like Luci, but wasn't really feeling the second issue. It seemed like a quick feeler for the rest of the gods. Still in on the concept and for how much I liked the first issue.

All the Young Animal announcements sound awesome.

Wonder if they are just going to close Vertigo sometime soon. Why not just re-brand that and put Way in charge and go all-in. These DC You and Young Animal type of brandings just makes me feel they aren't willing to commit.

Did the Image Expo preview books not used to be free digitally?

They are, you can see them on cmx

Really like the sound of those Young Animal books except maybe Mother Panic. Sick of Gotham. In for the first issues.

This reads more like a MAX scenario where they don't really intertwine at the same level as mainline books. Gotham is just the setting like New York is for most MAX books. I'm not expecting she'll get Batfamily tie-ins.

Besides, Way and Houser will write the snot out of that book.

shingi70

Banned
So what's up with Top Cow and Sejic. I assumed he was going exclusive to be the main creative force behind a non switch Wicthblade universe reboot.

Umbrella Academy Vol 1

Read this because Tyrant told me it was about as close as anyone has gotten to making something similar to Doom Patrol, and obviously because Way is writing Doom Patrol. To say that DP is in good hands is an understatement. UA was amazing, start to finish. Really weird, bizarre, and just overall fantastic.

Umbrella Academy Vol 1

Read this because Tyrant told me it was about as close as anyone has gotten to making something similar to Doom Patrol, and obviously because Way is writing Doom Patrol. To say that DP is in good hands is an understatement. UA was amazing, start to finish. Really weird, bizarre, and just overall fantastic.

Glad you liked it. I didn't find UA:Dallas to be as enjoyable as Apocalypse Suite, but it's still very good.

Messi

Sunstone, bdsm lesbian sex love relationship book. Is lovely.

So what's up with Top Cow and Sejic. I assumed he was going exclusive to be the main creative force behind a non switch Wicthblade universe reboot.

He is exclusive and they are expanding the Sunstone universe with Blood Stain and Swing later this year.

He writes and draws switch which is about the Witchblade but had only got 2-3 issues out due to injuring his shoulder. Also the book didn't sell well out the gate. Switch was that universe reboot.

Top Cow now have all the eggs in the Sunstone basket.

Top Bottom