• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Messi

I like the pretty lady in the green crop top in Black Panther. I believe in her ideals.

I am suspicious of everyones motives tbh.

Seems Uncanny X-Force Complete Collection Vol 1 has gone out of print. Why does marvel let this happen when other shit stays around for years? This is a highly regarded run.

Boke1879

I am suspicious of everyones motives tbh.

Seems Uncanny X-Force Complete Collection Vol 1 has gone out of print. Why does marvel let this happen when other shit stays around for years? This is a highly regarded run.

Especially when I can still find tons of DC shit.

Messi

Especially when I can still find tons of DC shit.

Heres another thing that I don't really understand. I can buy DC collections with 12-13 issues (Brubaker Catwoman, Simone Secret Six, Loeb Supergirl) for $20 and marvel charges 35$ for the same amount of old issues (Miles complete collection, Runaways, She Hulk, Journey into mystery). I buy so many more old DC collections as I find the price to be way more reasonable. I guess Marvel books sell so they don't have to worry about it.

It came out in August of 2014, tho. If you wanted it, why did you wait so long?

Also, TFAW still has it available for backorder.

Because it is too expensive as I have described above.

Heres another thing that I don't really understand. I can buy DC collections with 12-13 issues (Brubaker Catwoman, Simone Secret Six, Loeb Supergirl) for $20 and marvel charges 35$ for the same amount of old issues (Miles complete collection, Runaways, She Hulk, Journey into mystery). I buy so many more old DC collections as I find the price to be way more reasonable. I guess Marvel books sell so they don't have to worry about it.

I think on the whole, Marvel has the bigger audience, so they can get away with the pricing more easily. I like both publishers, but you have to admit DC may have the shittiest trade program on Earth with how long it takes them to get collected editions out. Marvel has that stuff ready to go as soon as possible.

Messi

I think on the whole, Marvel has the bigger audience, so they can get away with the pricing more easily. I like both publishers, but you have to admit DC may have the shittiest trade program on Earth with how long it takes them to get collected editions out. Marvel has that stuff ready to go as soon as possible.

I am more talking about catalog titles vs currently releasing stuff that is bound by release date. I think it is crazy that the retail price for X-Force is $40.

I am more talking about catalog titles vs currently releasing stuff that is bound by release date. I think it is crazy that the retail price for X-Force is $40.

UNCANNY X-FORCE (2010) #1-19 and #5.1, and material from WOLVERINE: ROAD TO HELL #1

You're getting 20 issues worth of content for $40 instead of $80. It's not like they're charging you full price for back-issues, here.

Messi

UNCANNY X-FORCE (2010) #1-19 and #5.1, and material from WOLVERINE: ROAD TO HELL #1

You're getting 20 issues worth of content for $40 instead of $80. It's not like they're charging you full price for back-issues, here.

Huh didn't realize it was so many issues. fair enough.

Them letting books that are highly regarded go out of print is bullshit regardless of how much the book is.

Them letting books that are highly regarded go out of print is bullshit regardless of how much the book is.

Printing costs money, and they can't keep their entire back catalog in print forever. It makes more sense from a business perspective to keep the newer books in print instead of backlist titles that customers aren't constantly looking for.

Messi

Printing costs money, and they can't keep their entire back catalog in print forever. It makes more sense from a business perspective to keep the newer books in print instead of backlist titles that customers aren't constantly looking for.

Funny how other companies can do it but marvel is incredibly shit at it...or you know cheap. Most of the DC classics are available to order in a paperback of some kind. Im not asking them to keep the omnibuses in stock.

Btw, there are books marvel doesn't have to keep in print. But it would be nice if they could keep the runs that are considered definitive in circulation.

Marvel is shit at keeping things in print

Funny how other companies can do it but marvel is incredibly shit at it...or you know cheap. Most of the DC classics are available to order in a paperback of some kind. Im not asking them to keep the omnibuses in stock.

I have a feeling it is intentional. That "shit, it's going OOP" feeling can make the collectors clear out some pretty mediocre stuff quickly.

Messi

I have a feeling it is intentional. That "shit, it's going OOP" feeling can make the collectors clear out some pretty mediocre stuff quickly.

Yep, I understand this for omnibuses. If people think they are in short supply they will rush out and get them and then are much more likely to grab an omni they want when it is released.

Yep, I understand this for omnibuses. If people think they are in short supply they will rush out and get them and then are much more likely to grab an omni they want when it is released.

And then if they miss it they can buy the reprint*

*For an even higher price

Owzers

How good was Rucka's previous Wonder Woman stuff? I'm not eager to spend another $15 on my dcbs order for the vol 1 rucka collection, but i'm intrigued.

I'm sure that I don't need to tell you that Marvel doesn't give two fuckity fucks.

Owzers

Patsy Walker #4: still a fun book but i'm debating MU-waiting, Something's always off about the book, maybe it scales too young or Patsy's surrounding cast aren't working for me. I didn't like how Howard was drawn at all in his appearance either.

if i start buying DC books then Patsy is no longer my ninth or tenth book on my pull and therefore i dont' want to cut things, when it becomes the fifteenth or twentieth then i look for the cuts.

Started my Revival reread. I've been meaning to catch up, but its been a while, so I'm just starting from the beginning again. Halfway through the first hardcover at the moment.

VanWinkle

About 150 pages into the DC One Million omnibus. I love it. Really interesting stuff, and I've loved all the tie-ins so far. Except maybe Shadow of the Bat. Man I hate the art in that. I've seen some other issues of that series in Cataclysm and No Man's Land and I always hate it. The issue other than the art wasn't too bad, though. The Green Lantern one I just read was great.

About 150 pages into the DC One Million omnibus. I love it. Really interesting stuff, and I've loved all the tie-ins so far. Except maybe Shadow of the Bat. Man I hate the art in that. I've seen some other issues of that series in Cataclysm and No Man's Land and I always hate it. The issue other than the art wasn't too bad, though. The Green Lantern one I just read was great.

Yeah, the Green Lantern issue was good. Especially the last page!

Boke1879

SHould be getting my DC One Million omnibus in the next few days. Can't wait to Dive in. Then either looking into the GL omnibus or The Flash one.

Started my Revival reread. I've been meaning to catch up, but its been a while, so I'm just starting from the beginning again. Halfway through the first hardcover at the moment.
Liking it on a second read through? Are the deluxe editions nice? Been considering them.

I love the series myself. Wonder how many issues he has it planned out for.

VanWinkle

SHould be getting my DC One Million omnibus in the next few days. Can't wait to Dive in. Then either looking into the GL omnibus or The Flash one.

Very nice. I got the One Million omnibus when it was $29.99 at hamiltonbook.com awhile back and it was a steal at that price.

Also bought the first GL omnibus off of whatsinaname and looking tremendously forward to starting that soon (I'll probably wait until I have all three omnis, though).

jackdoe

Just got a chance to read Marvel 1602 on Marvel Unlimited and I love it (though didn't particularly care for Black Widow's and Cyclops' characterizations). So much so that I went ahead and bought the hardcover for my physical collection.

I don't wanna create a new thread so I'll ask here. Is it worth it to pay to go to a comic con?

This is happening right next to the hotel I'm staying at this weekend. It ends tomorrow and I just found out about it today. Decided to walk there and check it out. There's a big hall that's free to everyone and some other stuff that's behind the pay wall (which I think is like $45 bucks). I don't know what's behind there besides meeting the actors who play Luke Cage, Killgrave, and some other agents of shield ones. Is there anything else in these things? They even had some random panels that were open to everyone, but to be honest were kind of boring.

As a side note I had fun just watching people's costumes even though I felt like an idiot because I only knew maybe a third of them, and I'm being generous. When I finally decided to ask someone who they were, because I thought she was Agent Smith from the Matrix, she said she just worked there, so I felt like a jackass and just kept to myself the rest of my time there. There were some really elaborate costumes though and I was surprised about the diversity of people there (I'm really ignorant about comic cons and e3s). Saw lots of cool deadpools and harley quinns (I think it was harley quinn even though it was red and black). I started seeing some Disney princesses and I was like WTF? Unexpected but pretty cool, even saw some Links, Fallout villain (I think), Predators and a Gamora/Starlord couple. I was surprised I didn't see anyone dressed as the more popular characters though (batman, spiderman, superman, wolverine, ironman, cap, etc).

Anyways, point is, is it worth it to pay? I'll probably go back tomorrow just to check people out again, but not sure I wanna shell out that money. I'm not really into meeting celebrities so is there something besides that when you pay?

Image should really sell a version of Em's stitched up hoodie.

Would buy. The Frison illustrations on the hardcovers are fantastic. I think I like the Dana illustration for the second hardcover the most, though.

Liking it on a second read through? Are the deluxe editions nice? Been considering them.

I love the series myself. Wonder how many issues he has it planned out for.

Yeah, I remember most of it, but it's been a while since I read the series at all, so the refresher helps. I think I stopped reading about halfway through the issues that are included in the second hardcover, so everything from there beyond will be new to me.

The hardcovers are great. I own all 3. Very solid. Great binding.

Most of the hardcovers have the same binding. It's only a few of the recent ones that have been trash.

Won't be reading comics because I'll be playing Dark Souls III list

Autumnlands: Tooth & Claw #10
Deadly Class #20
Monstress #5
Shutter #20
A-Force #4
Gwenpool #1
Mockingbird #2
Moon Knight #1

Top Bottom