• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

anaron

Read Spider-Woman #6-10 from before SW, and i'm kinda curious as to how long in advance Dennis Hopeless was told about when the book was ending. #9 kicks off a new arc and status quo, and then #10 rushes it to conclusion and has to tie it in to Secret Wars. The lame part is that it sounds like the new series doesn't pick up from the previous one left off, but 8 months after. A shame, I wanted to see the Jess/Ben/Porcupine road trip arc play out.

Javier Rodriguez's art is soooooooo great though. he really makes the best of Hopeless's scripts and brings a lot of life to the characters. Also, I'm sorry, but I love the costume. redesign, it's super cool

It's grown on me A LOT. I think certain artists have really made it work in ways I don't think Anka's style does. (even though he created it)

as for lists:

Mockingbird #2
Monstress #5

Elektra Lives Again along with Elektra Assassin are probably the most interesting Marvel books I've read. I just finished Lives Again and I really enjoyed it. Felt like a nice closure to the whole Elektra story. Still like halfway through Assassin but it's also great and just a real visual treat.

Very glad I got a copy of the Elektra Lives Again book. The bigger dimensions allow for some huge great looking pages throughout. I can't even imagine this book squished to fit in that omnibus.

Just curious...how big of a backlog do you guys have right now? I just counted and I'm up to 42. Need to do some serious comic reading this weekend. Got 16 more coming up this Wednesday.

Drifter is back this week!
Issues:
The Infinity Entity #4
The Vision #6
Old Man Logan #4
Uncanny X-Men #6
Invincible Iron Man #8
The New Avengers #9
Avengers Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill Alpha #1

Trades:
Young Inhumans
Decimation: Son of M
Silent War
Secret Invasion: Inhumans
X-Force by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost: The Complete Collection Vol. 2
The Trans-Formers: More Than Meets the Eye Vol. 4
Red Lanterns Vol.5: Atrocitus
Kingdom Come

oh. I thought he might actually get Maleev this time instead of just poor-man's Maleev.
For real
I am suspicious of everyones motives tbh.

Seems Uncanny X-Force Complete Collection Vol 1 has gone out of print. Why does marvel let this happen when other shit stays around for years? This is a highly regarded run.
What's weird is Marvel pushing Inhumans even though damn near every Inhumans trade is out of print.
All New Wasp leaked as
Janet's step daughter!
Who could have foreseen this turn of events

For my backlog, I got:
Love & Rockets Locas Books 2-5 (about halfway through 2)
Copra Round Three
Animal Man #9-26 by Morrison
BPRD 1946-1948
Frankenstein Underground
Heavy Liquid
The One Trick Rip-Off
Casanova volumes 2 and 3
Morrison JLA volumes 1-4
The rest of Solo (I think I was on issue 5?)
Superman Secret Identity
Flash by Johns Volume 1
Wonder Woman by Perez #6-25
The Cowboy Wally Show
Silver Age Doom Patrol volumes 2-5
Catwoman by Brubaker
Robin/Batgirl Year One
The New Frontier
The Dark Knight Strikes Again

For ongoings, I'm behind on Island, Low, Rumble, Gotham Academy, and Paper Girls. Not so bad since it's really just a few for each. Also only two issues in on Hellboy in Hell but I'm gonna run through the whole thing once it ends.

Guess it's better than I was expecting but I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff. These are the books I own that I actually want to read. I've made some good progress the past month or so. All caught up on Rachel Rising and I read through two complete Daredevil runs. Probably close to 100 issues in total.

edit: wait shit I forgot about humble bundle lol. I guess add Saga volumes 1 through whatever and some other books.

Vyer

Expandable storage is as important as zoom requirements TBH. I hate moving shit on and off the computer.

Depends on what you need to store, and how much. I've never needed it on mobile devices, primarily because I get the larger capacity and make use of cloud services.

Yeah, got me all hyped up for it again. I had a feeling Godworld was going to be a hit. The 'payoff' was definitely satisfying.

Speaking of iPad Pros, for anyone who has one, which size did you get? The 9.7-inch or 12.9-inch? I've considered upgrading from my 3rd generation iPad.

Owned an Air for a while, tried the 13" Pro. Wasn't sure about the weight/size, but comics and everything else was glorious. Tried to go back to 9.7, lasted a day. Got too used to the big screen, and I adjusted to the weight difference far more quickly than I would have thought.

Used a Surface Pro 3 for about a month before getting the pro, for example, and found it far more awkward and uncomfortable as a tablet than the Prp. The weight is balanced very well on the Pro, and it's thin and easier to handle.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Depends on what you need to store, and how much. I've never needed it on mobile devices, primarily because I get the larger capacity and make use of cloud services.

I went as far as to scan all of my Mega Man comics so I could bring them with me when I had my Surface Pro. When I would pull them off my device and put them back on, it wasn't remember what I had and had not read. I don't want to have to have a separate document to keep track of my read since I feel like a comic reader should do that for me.

My current digital collection is about to pass 20 gigs. I love my iPad 2 (I need to upgrade), but I HATE the idea of paying so much more for storage when I am looking at two 64 gig microSD cards in my hand right now that I paid nothing CLOSE to what 128 gigs of internal "device" storage would cost me.

Vyer

I went as far as to scan all of my Mega Man comics so I could bring them with me when I had my Surface Pro. When I would pull them off my device and put them back on, it wasn't remember what I had and had not read. I don't want to have to have a separate document to keep track of my read since I feel like a comic reader should do that for me.

My current digital collection is about to pass 20 gigs. I love my iPad 2 (I need to upgrade), but I HATE the idea of paying so much more for storage when I am looking at two 64 gig microSD cards in my hand right now that I paid nothing CLOSE to what 128 gigs of internal "device" storage would cost me.

I can see that for sure, though for me the storage comes more in to play with temp holds of streaming/cloud stuff and particularly apps/games, which aren't the best for expandable storage anyhow. I generally have no need to keep it all locally on the device when it comes to comics, I'm pretty good with just swapping in and out as I like.

something like Chunky's pro library features sound like they might be real useful for you, though, now that I think about it.

arkon

I use a Galaxy S Tab 10.5 for digital comics. The screen is pretty close to the dimensions of a comics page so for single pages it's fine without zooming in. Double page spreads are an issue though. You need to zoom in to see the text clearly in those instances. In my experience that really just means maybe once or twice an issue am I fiddling with the orientation and zooming in but I've gotten used to it. If you don't want to deal with that I guess you could try the Tab Pro 12.2" which is comparable to the Ipad Pro in size.

How fast is Vertigo when it comes to Deluxe Editions? Want to read Sheriff of Babylon in that format.

About the opposite of fast.

Lol wat? People selling the Lucille bat for $100+? I think I got mine two years ago for like $25 at NYCC. My Negan still isn't here yet but it's all good 👍

Where did you order your Negan statue from? I ordered mine from EE and it only took 3-4 days, though the FedEx guy left it on my doorstep without even requiring a signature. >_>

Fuck think I might buy dark souls 3 over the dd companion.

Yes, good. I'm going all-in on DS3, buying the LE guide and the CE version of the game. It's the artbook I want more than that shitty statue, though.

decided to check out
Glenn's
death in the Walking Dead comic... jesus christ o_O

how come nobody ever talks about it around here? the comic I mean, its still ongoing right?

We talk about TWD, usually just a bit when a new issue comes out.

Yeah but Deadly Class is so much better

Ha ha ha ha ha no.

Man, the ending of Black Science 21 was super satisfying.

I'm going to try to catch up on that book after I finish my reread of Revival, but man the trashy binding on that hardcover is making me nervous.

Bii

Owned an Air for a while, tried the 13" Pro. Wasn't sure about the weight/size, but comics and everything else was glorious. Tried to go back to 9.7, lasted a day. Got too used to the big screen, and I adjusted to the weight difference far more quickly than I would have thought.

Used a Surface Pro 3 for about a month before getting the pro, for example, and found it far more awkward and uncomfortable as a tablet than the Prp. The weight is balanced very well on the Pro, and it's thin and easier to handle.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to play around with it in an Apple Store and see which one would suit my preferences. I will probably only use it to watch movies/shows on-the-go, maybe in bed, and comics.

Looking at getting a 3 day pass for Tamp Bay CC, anyone else going? Never been to a con before, wondering how fast I should jump on this.

$60 (plus fees) for a 3-day pass is not bad, especially if you were going to go there for two days anyway. I'm sure the tickets won't sell out but that preorder price may or may not last that long. Going to a con for the first time can either be utterly disappointing or overwhelming, depending on the size of the con and what you expect out of it.

Hellers

I've been buying quite a bit of Manga lately. Some on Comixology and some on peasant caveman paper. I'm a sucker for romance mangas too. On paper I'm buying

A Certain Scientific Railgun
Love at Fourteen
Evergreen
Orange
Akira
Planetes

Also just ordered the first volume of Bezerk.

On Comixology I'm reading

Yamada-Kun and the Seven Witches
Coppelion
Rosario+Vampire
Chobits
Bleach (1 volume to try)
Biomega (1 volume to try)
I am Here
Sidonia
Attack on Titan
Love Hina
Lucky Star
My Little Monster
Negima
Say I love You
A Silent Voice
UQ Holder

Does DC rebirth start next week? I really haven't been paying attention

Tampa: Not even once

haha, bad past experiences?

Thanks for the info. I'll have to play around with it in an Apple Store and see which one would suit my preferences. I will probably only use it to watch movies/shows on-the-go, maybe in bed, and comics.

$60 (plus fees) for a 3-day pass is not bad, especially if you were going to go there for two days anyway. I'm sure the tickets won't sell out but that preorder price may or may not last that long. Going to a con for the first time can either be utterly disappointing or overwhelming, depending on the size of the con and what you expect out of it.

I checked over the guest list, not too many people I'd be terribly excited to see. George Perez, Neal adams, & Peter david is cool, but not $300+ for hotel + tickets + missing work cool.

Gimmie links pls.

You've never heard of them? :O Kaoru Mori's romance manga are the best. Emma has been around for a while. It was 10 volumes, I think, but is currently being released in condensed hardcover volumes by Yen Press. Bride's Story is Mori's ongoing manga, also being released in America by Yen Press.

Wikipedia has a good synopsis of both.

Bride's Story

Emma

You can grab them from Amazon like most everything on Earth.

Vyer

I was looking at that Cap CMX sale and started flipping through the issues and realized that this:

923ikq0.jpg

would have been the first issue of Captain America I ever read. It was around 1988, I would have been around 10 and I think 9-10-11 is when I first started reading comics so it might even have been one of the first comics I ever read.

My first Cap wasn't even Steve. Rogers was 'The Captain', had given up being Captain America and the new Cap was John Walker, who was Super Patriot. He was kind of an asshole bro.

But in the book the Watchdogs have kidnapped Walker's parents, and he goes to save them and we get to see shit like old people gunned down and 'Captain America' slaughtering fools.

shit was real dark. i wonder what 9-10 year old me thought about that. probably not the best introduction to Captain America

shit was real dark. i wonder what 9-10 year old me thought about that. probably not the best introduction to Captain America

Oh my. I don't even know what to say. Is he just overlooking the fact that they're full of bullet holes or did people often recover from half a dozen gunshot wounds in those days?

A&A: Adventures of Archer & Armstrong #2
Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #5 of 6
Captain America 75th Anniversary Special
Doctor Who: Ninth Doctor Ongoing #1
Gotham Academy #17
Mockingbird #2
Pathfinder: The Hollow Mountain #5 of 6
Rat Queens Volume 3: Demons TPB
Silver Surfer #3
Unbelievable Gwenpool #1
Web Warriors #6
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #6

Also ordering:
Hawkeye Volume 2 OHC
Rat Queens Volume 1 OHC (fucking finally!)
Transformers Last Stand of the Wreckers Hardcover

LIST

Batman/TMNT #5
Deadly Class #20
Gwenpool #1
Mockingbird #2
Moon Knight #1
Weirdworld #5
Spider-Gwen #7
A&A The Adventures Of Archer And Armstrong #2
Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior #6

Top Bottom