• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My won't be reading until I finsh AoA list...

AUTUMNLANDS TOOTH & CLAW #10
BLACK ROAD #1
DEADLY CLASS #20
MONSTRESS #5
PRETTY DEADLY #9
SHUTTER #20

Pretty huge week for me.

I don't wanna create a new thread so I'll ask here. Is it worth it to pay to go to a comic con?

This is happening right next to the hotel I'm staying at this weekend. It ends tomorrow and I just found out about it today. Decided to walk there and check it out. There's a big hall that's free to everyone and some other stuff that's behind the pay wall (which I think is like $45 bucks). I don't know what's behind there besides meeting the actors who play Luke Cage, Killgrave, and some other agents of shield ones. Is there anything else in these things? They even had some random panels that were open to everyone, but to be honest were kind of boring.

As a side note I had fun just watching people's costumes even though I felt like an idiot because I only knew maybe a third of them, and I'm being generous. When I finally decided to ask someone who they were, because I thought she was Agent Smith from the Matrix, she said she just worked there, so I felt like a jackass and just kept to myself the rest of my time there. There were some really elaborate costumes though and I was surprised about the diversity of people there (I'm really ignorant about comic cons and e3s). Saw lots of cool deadpools and harley quinns (I think it was harley quinn even though it was red and black). I started seeing some Disney princesses and I was like WTF? Unexpected but pretty cool, even saw some Links, Fallout villain (I think), Predators and a Gamora/Starlord couple. I was surprised I didn't see anyone dressed as the more popular characters though (batman, spiderman, superman, wolverine, ironman, cap, etc).

Anyways, point is, is it worth it to pay? I'll probably go back tomorrow just to check people out again, but not sure I wanna shell out that money. I'm not really into meeting celebrities so is there something besides that when you pay?
Not sure what con it is, but there's usually booths that you can shop at. There's all kinds of stuff available, comics, toys, clothing, etc. I've only been to SDCC but I thought it was really fun. I blew a ton of money though.

List of not buying Dark Souls III:
Black Canary #10
Gotham Academy #17
Starfire #11
Deadly Class #20
Mockingbird #2

I don't wanna create a new thread so I'll ask here. Is it worth it to pay to go to a comic con?

This is happening right next to the hotel I'm staying at this weekend. It ends tomorrow and I just found out about it today. Decided to walk there and check it out. There's a big hall that's free to everyone and some other stuff that's behind the pay wall (which I think is like $45 bucks). I don't know what's behind there besides meeting the actors who play Luke Cage, Killgrave, and some other agents of shield ones. Is there anything else in these things? They even had some random panels that were open to everyone, but to be honest were kind of boring.

As a side note I had fun just watching people's costumes even though I felt like an idiot because I only knew maybe a third of them, and I'm being generous. When I finally decided to ask someone who they were, because I thought she was Agent Smith from the Matrix, she said she just worked there, so I felt like a jackass and just kept to myself the rest of my time there. There were some really elaborate costumes though and I was surprised about the diversity of people there (I'm really ignorant about comic cons and e3s). Saw lots of cool deadpools and harley quinns (I think it was harley quinn even though it was red and black). I started seeing some Disney princesses and I was like WTF? Unexpected but pretty cool, even saw some Links, Fallout villain (I think), Predators and a Gamora/Starlord couple. I was surprised I didn't see anyone dressed as the more popular characters though (batman, spiderman, superman, wolverine, ironman, cap, etc).

Anyways, point is, is it worth it to pay? I'll probably go back tomorrow just to check people out again, but not sure I wanna shell out that money. I'm not really into meeting celebrities so is there something besides that when you pay?
i'm sorry but this part killed me lmao

I go to cons all the time, but haven't been to a Wizard World one, usually cons completely require a purchased badge for everything. Cons typically have vendors, exhibitors, and an artists alley where comics creators/artists are. Personally I'm not into meeting celebrities either but i do like to meet comics artists/creators and buy comics and art but idk what you're into. I don't go to panels too often unless it's something i gotta see.

So, idk, it could be cool to go to I think. It's easy to spend a bunch of money, too.

MG310

The 45 won't even get you the celebrity meeting part. Probably just the exhibitors and Artist Alley..so unless you are looking to buy I'm not sure you will get your money's worth out of that. They've gotten extra scummy in recent years with all of their autograph/photo op/VIP stuff taking over everything else.

I imagine the Wizard World Cruise they are putting on this year will be quite the shit show.

list!

Constantine: The Hellblazer #11
House of Penance #1 (Tomasi/Bertram!)
Black Canary #10
Mockingbird #2
Goldie Vance #1

gonna wait for impressions for Moon Knight (lol) and Gwenpool.

MG310

Midtown Comics is having another Up to 75% off sale this Wednesday apparently.

Come on cheap statues. Got Arkham Ivy for 30 last time.

Also extremely poor high volume blank cover buying decisions.

Midtown Comics is having another Up to 75% off sale this Wednesday apparently.

Come on cheap statues. Got Arkham Ivy for 30 last time.

Also extremely poor high volume blank cover buying decisions.

Man, I don't know. I'm always up for statues, but this Negan statue by McFarlane has kind of spoiled me. The detail is insane.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Continuing to go all in on Tom King. Sheriff of Babylon is pretty incredible so far, this last issue was really something special. Omega Men I'm a little less sure on. I'm four issues in and I feel like I don't have a great handle on who everyone is and who is on each side. There's a lot of planet names and species that I'm not really on top of yet.

But how good of a name is Barnaby Bagenda? Art's good too. I don't understand how you have people like him, Francis Manapul and Doc Shaner on the payroll and still give so many books to people that are just trying to be Jim Lee.

Zombine

Banned
Lol wat? People selling the Lucille bat for $100+? I think I got mine two years ago for like $25 at NYCC. My Negan still isn't here yet but it's all good 👍

Im not a big comic guy but i just fiished reading the Star Wars: Vader Down 6 part series. I had a pretty good time with it and am wondering if there is any other good Star Wars comics? I hear the main line Vader series is good.

Zombine

Banned
Any chance Civil War 2 could actually be good,coming off of Standoff?

Probably not, but it's worth reading just to say you were there. Kind of like the Trump rally I'm going to.

If any fights break out I will be the guy yelling "WORLDSTAR!" Recording the whole thing. The Bernie rally will be the pallet cleanser. Not bothering to go see Hillary, I've seen enough of her for my entire life. She waved at me once.

Done with the DC One Million omnibus. The first 3/4ths was a lot stronger than the last quarter. Ending felt a bit rushed and and I felt there were a few loose ends that should have been dealt with.

Some of the backups were nice but I am not sure why the Booster Gold story was included. Felt like it really didn't tie-in with anything. (And I was lost for most of it).

The one complaint I have for the whole run has to be a complete lack of female characters (heroes or villains) who do anything important. There were a couple of memorable issues (Chase and Wonder Woman and Supergirl) but nothing really happened there that affect the main story. And I have no idea what the future Wonder Woman did at all other than hang around in the background.

The series has also introduced me to a few other characters/runs that I now have to follow up on.

Chase
Resurrection Man
Chronos
Hitman

TheFlow

Banned
Fuck think I might buy dark souls 3 over the dd companion.

But moon knight and deadly class are a must fucking buy.

I will trade wait pretty deadly and monstress

Im not a big comic guy but i just fiished reading the Star Wars: Vader Down 6 part series. I had a pretty good time with it and am wondering if there is any other good Star Wars comics? I hear the main line Vader series is good.

Vader Down was a crossover between Star Wars and Vader so you'd probably enjoy the individual series' if you enjoyed that. I'd recommend Lando from the separate mini-series' Marvel have done too.

Man, Disney's buying some damn fine critical buzz for Civil War
kappa_big.png

Shattered Empire is pretty dang fun as well.

Comic Book fans are just the worst.

Got that right.

I'm seeing some serious Man of the Atom activity in some of the Black Panther fanbases I participate in. The whole "one interpretation over all" mantra, despite the character being at it's popularity height.

And the interpretation? Essentially Hudlin's.

I'm sure that's baffling to most, but since that was the last guy to have a BP run where shit wasn't going sideways for him constantly, it makes sense.

Shattered Empire is pretty dang fun as well.

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed it but for some reason a lot of people expected it to fill a substantial part of the thirty year gap between Jedi and TFA and ended up disappointed. It was great if only for that page where Leia could feel the presence of Darth Maul on Naboo.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Time to start making our head avatars.

My favorite part of Shattered empire was
when Leia went to Naboo and met the badass Asian queen and stood in the hangar where the Maul Encounter happened.

"...I feel...cold...."

Just really well done.
Perfect moment.
The panel where she saw Padmes window mosaic and she thought that she looks sad was almost as good.

Catching up on some trades this weekend!

Read Umbrella Academy Vol. 1 last night. I wish it wasn't so vague in the setup of things... but I liked it overall. I'll definitely grab the other book the next time I see it.

Started Low Vol. 1 this morning and am really enjoying it. The art is gorgeous(though sometimes confusing). Remender is great.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone want to suggest me a new digital comic reader? I returned my Surface Pro 4 a while back because of problems. I want something with expandable storage and the ability to read without zooming.

shingi70

Banned
Got that right.

I'm seeing some serious Man of the Atom activity in some of the Black Panther fanbases I participate in. The whole "one interpretation over all" mantra, despite the character being at it's popularity height.

And the interpretation? Essentially Hudlin's.

I'm sure that's baffling to most, but since that was the last guy to have a BP run where shit wasn't going sideways for him constantly, it makes sense.

I had a laugh at the MCU Reddit shitting on Cloak and Dagger because it's aimed at the YA market, and sunbbing romance and drama as if the infusion of that into books isn't what what made the marvel method popular.

Hell Thor is a romantic Comedy and is better film then the 2nd for it.

Zombine

Banned
Catching up on some trades this weekend!

Read Umbrella Academy Vol. 1 last night. I wish it wasn't so vague in the setup of things... but I liked it overall. I'll definitely grab the other book the next time I see it.

Started Low Vol. 1 this morning and am really enjoying it. The art is gorgeous(though sometimes confusing). Remender is great.

Low's art becomes less obtuse as the series moves forward.

Anyone want to suggest me a new digital comic reader? I returned my Surface Pro 4 a while back because of problems. I want something with expandable storage and the ability to read without zooming.
It's not cheap, nor does it have expandable storage but IMO the iPad Pro is the best comic reader out there. Never have to zoom in. Even on landscape spreads (you just rotate to landscape viewing). The large view size is a huge plus

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the thread that is the first to say one of Spider Gwen's major problems is how drab and not fun of a book it is, mocks people using fun as a quality for a movie

tumblr_n4ysbgkSfp1sky7ayo1_500.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
decided to check out
Glenn's
death in the Walking Dead comic... jesus christ o_O

how come nobody ever talks about it around here? the comic I mean, its still ongoing right?

Zombine

Banned
decided to check out
Glenn's
death in the Walking Dead comic... jesus christ o_O

how come nobody ever talks about it around here? the comic I mean, its still ongoing right?

I talk about it elsewhere. Don't feel like hearing about how shit it is and how much better X or y is.

Mindwipe

It doesn't have expadable storage, but the Pixel-C is pretty nice if you get the 25% developer discount for the price as a comic reader.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's not cheap, nor does it have expandable storage but IMO the iPad Pro is the best comic reader out there. Never have to zoom in. Even on landscape spreads (you just rotate to landscape viewing). The large view size is a huge plus

Expandable storage is as important as zoom requirements TBH. I hate moving shit on and off the computer.

Read Spider-Woman #6-10 from before SW, and i'm kinda curious as to how long in advance Dennis Hopeless was told about when the book was ending. #9 kicks off a new arc and status quo, and then #10 rushes it to conclusion and has to tie it in to Secret Wars. The lame part is that it sounds like the new series doesn't pick up from the previous one left off, but 8 months after. A shame, I wanted to see the Jess/Ben/Porcupine road trip arc play out.

Javier Rodriguez's art is soooooooo great though. he really makes the best of Hopeless's scripts and brings a lot of life to the characters. Also, I'm sorry, but I love the costume redesign, it's super cool

Bii

Man, the ending of Black Science 21 was super satisfying.

Yeah, got me all hyped up for it again. I had a feeling Godworld was going to be a hit. The 'payoff' was definitely satisfying.

Speaking of iPad Pros, for anyone who has one, which size did you get? The 9.7-inch or 12.9-inch? I've considered upgrading from my 3rd generation iPad.

Yeah, got me all hyped up for it again. I had a feeling Godworld was going to be a hit. The 'payoff' was definitely satisfying.

Speaking of iPad Pros, for anyone who has one, which size did you get? The 9.7-inch or 12.9-inch? I've considered upgrading from my 3rd generation iPad.
Same and then it goes on break until the summer. :(

Top Bottom