• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Owzers

Ultimates #5: I like that it's the weird universe epic book but in a similar way to Hickman's Avengers the regular cast seems like vehicles to move the plot forward and lack character.

Power Man and Iron Fist #2: Definitely enjoying the dynamic between Luke and Danny, though it's a stark contrast in personality when i read Iron Fist: The Living Weapon in MU. I much prefer PMAIF's Rand ( which is how everyone refers to the book.) There was a great fight scene page coming
out of the diner, definitely a bonus towards print comics than rotating my tablet, i like the impact it had from the transition of sitting at the table to having gorilla man tackled through the window.

Only Black Panther and Power Man are safe on my pull list. A little hesitant towards Ultimates, Patsy, and i need to read issue #5 of Howard that was in my shipment but i haven't liked this arc much. Doctor Strange is mostly safe too.

Vyer

Holy shit. And that was a Code-approved book?

I didn't even put up the panel where he runs a Watchdog through with a pitchfork.

Oh my. I don't even know what to say. Is he just overlooking the fact that they're full of bullet holes or did people often recover from half a dozen gunshot wounds in those days?

No lie, as soon as I recognized the cover the first image that popped in my head was Walker-Cap cradling and talking to the corpses of his parents.

Decided to jump in and finally start on the new Astro City volume.

Astro City #1 - #6: #1 and #5 were pretty good. Laid a lot of groundwork for a larger mystery and the unreliable narrator breaking the fourth wall concept was fairly well done.

#2-#4 is classic Astro City though and I loved it. Which other series would have a story about a call center operator/data analyst for a Justice League type of group!

I don't see this listed on too many pull lists on here. Anyone getting it monthly?

Decided to jump in and start finally start on the new Astro City volume.

Astro City #1 - #6: #1 and #5 were pretty good. Laid a lot of groundwork for a larger mystery and the unreliable narrator breaking the fourth wall concept was fairly well done.

#2-#5 is classic Astro City though and I loved it. Which other series would have a story about a call center operator/data analyst for a Justice League type of group!

I don't see this listed on too many pull lists on here. Anyone getting it monthly?
Tim does, or used to at least.

I want to get more into Astro City. I really enjoyed what I did read. Busiek is a great writer.

The new character (American Chibi) introduced in Astro City #1 has an interesting design... (The credit/blame can be laid at Scott McCloud's feet)

Q3ARBCI.jpg

Owzers

Wasn't BP 6 bucks?

I'm pretty sure Black Panther #1 had you sign a contract making you Marvel exclusive.

It's possible that it had no contract, but was $4.99 and had extra pages. Those point one "new content" glorified preview books for $5.99 bother me because they are used as continuity hype without providing quality and they keep getting away with it! It's just like events, except with events i'm hopeful they are not as terrible as i think they will be, with point ones there is no hope.

Life is Strange is such an emotional bummer.

mreddie

I'm pretty sure Black Panther #1 had you sign a contract making you Marvel exclusive.

It's possible that it had no contract, but was $4.99 and had extra pages. Those point one "new content" glorified preview books for $5.99 bother me because they are used as continuity hype without providing quality and they keep getting away with it! It's just like events, except with events i'm hopeful they are not as terrible as i think they will be, with point ones there is no hope.

The Point One book was setting up the upcoming books, I have the one with Ms. Marvel 2014 and I think that was 5 bucks.

Waiting on everything Marvel to show up on MU is saving me some cash. I might even pull a crazy and pick up some DC books with Rebirth!

This week:
Black Road #1
Limbo #6

Messi

List:

Black Canary #10
Catwoman #51
Earth 2 #11
Gotham Academy #17
Harley Quinn and her gang of harleys #1
New Romancer #5
Starfire #11

Black Road #1
Blood Stain Vol 1
Deadly Class #20
Monstress #5
Pretty Deadly #9
Shutter #20

Dejah Thoris #3
Delete #2
Goldie Vance #1
Kennel Block Blues #3

A-Force #4
All New All Different Avengers #8
All New Inhumans #6
All New X-Men #8
Amazing Spider-Man #10
Guardians of the Galaxy #7
Gwenpool #1
Illuminati #6
Mockingbird #2
Moonknight #1
Rocket and Groot #4
Silver Surfer #3
Spider-Gwen #7
Spidey #4
Web Warriors #6
Weirdworld #5
X-Men 92 #2

Christ...Marvel wtf.

TheFlow

Banned
List:

Black Canary #10
Catwoman #51
Earth 2 #11
Gotham Academy #17
New Romancer #5
Starfire #11

Black Road #1
Blood Stain Vol 1
Deadly Class #20
Monstress #5
Pretty Deadly #9
Shutter #20

Dejah Thoris #3
Delete #2
Goldie Vance #1
Kennel Block Blues #3

A-Force #4
All New Inhumans #6
All New X-Men #8
Amazing Spider-Man #10
Gwenpool #1
Illuminati #6
Mockingbird #2
Moonknight #1
Rocket and Groot #4
Silver Surfer #3
Spider-Gwen #7
Spidey #4
Web Warriors #6
Weirdworld #5
X-Men 92 #2

Christ...Marvel wtf.
Don't do this to yourself

Owzers

whenever a list is so long i have to scroll to get past it i just assume people are copying and pasting every book that releases that week just to let people know and it's not representational of their actual comics buying agenda.

The wicked and the divine 1-11

Holy Shit! What the fuck just happened?!

So is this some scheme by Ananke to be immortal? Make them gods and then take their lives?

ElNarez

Banned
Jumbo Carnation, life's too short to read this many mediocre books.

Watch how it's done.

BATMAN SUPERMAN #31 (SUPER LEAGUE)
BLACK CANARY #10
CONSTANTINE THE HELLBLAZER #11
GOTHAM ACADEMY #17

DEADLY CLASS #20 CVR A CRAIG & BOYD (MR)
PRETTY DEADLY #9 (MR)

DARTH VADER #19
GWENPOOL #1
MOCKINGBIRD #2
MOON KNIGHT #1
SILVER SURFER #3

mreddie

List:

Black Canary #10
Catwoman #51
Earth 2 #11
Gotham Academy #17
New Romancer #5
Starfire #11

Black Road #1
Blood Stain Vol 1
Deadly Class #20
Monstress #5
Pretty Deadly #9
Shutter #20

Dejah Thoris #3
Delete #2
Goldie Vance #1
Kennel Block Blues #3

A-Force #4
All New Inhumans #6
All New X-Men #8
Amazing Spider-Man #10
Gwenpool #1
Illuminati #6
Mockingbird #2
Moonknight #1
Rocket and Groot #4
Silver Surfer #3
Spider-Gwen #7
Spidey #4
Web Warriors #6
Weirdworld #5
X-Men 92 #2

Christ...Marvel wtf.

giphy.gif

Owzers

My comics enthusiasm has kinda taken a dive from Day 1 of new dcbs shipment. Tokyo Ghost vol 1's minor minor damage still bugs me and makes me hesitant about getting Wonder Woman rucka collection for odd reasons since the majority of trades i get are still fine.

It's also very likely that Howard the Duck gets relegated to MU reading, I read issue #5 today that closes out The Collector's/Nexus arc and apart from a couple amusing moments disparaging Thing being on the Guardians team, there wasn't much i liked.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The Darkseid War storyline is so amazingly good.

I love Geoff Johns.

EDIT: How the hell do you keep up with all those books Messi? I'd forget what happened previously in most of them haha

dat Amy Adams/Lois Lane thread. I think I popped a blood vessel.

LIST TIME

House of Penance 1

Black Road 1 (urgh, maybe)
Citizen Jack 5
Deadly Class 20
Drifter 10 (YAY)

A-Force 4
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 4 (Standoff crossover)
All-New All-Different Avengers 8
All-New X-Men 8
Amazing Spider-Man 10
Darth Vader 19
Guardians of the Galaxy 7
Gwenpool 1 (SIGH I give up I'll fuckin try it)
Hercules 6
Mockingbird 2
Moon Knight 1
Rocket Raccoon and Groot 4
Silver Surfer 3
Weirdworld 5

edit: Yikes I'm getting several books that didn't even make Messi's list, my taste perimeters must need readjustment

Messi

The Darkseid War storyline is so amazingly good.

I love Geoff Johns.

EDIT: How the hell do you keep up with all those books Messi? I'd forget what happened previously in most of them haha

I redownload the last issue and breeze over it if I can't remember what was going on. But generally I'm ok.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
^^ Not a bad idea. I HATE when a comic doesn't have a "Previously..." Bit. So lazy.

It's SO comicbook. Fantastique.

He just has a way of making me love new characters, like this Grail & Jessica Cruz (They're new to me, no idea if they're new in the comics)

^^ Not a bad idea. I HATE when a comic doesn't have a "Previously..." Bit. So lazy.

He just has a way of making me love new characters, like this Grail & Jessica Cruz (They're new to me, no idea if they're new in the comics)

Grail is brand new. Cruz is from earlier in JL, though admittedly I haven't read her earlier stuff myself :p

And yeah, he's juggling a lot of characters and doing it pretty well.

I really enjoyed the Forever Evil arc. Superwoman was weirdly underused though. Can't wait to read the Darkseid War arc.

Started reading The Legend of Wonder Woman and love it so far. How's Wonder Woman Earth One?

I hope Rebirth is nice and easy to slide into. The only non-Vertigo DC books I'm pulling at the moment are Batman and Martian Manhunter. I don't want to jump in and feel like I have to play a bunch of catch-up, it's already gonna stress dat comic budget out to the max. :[

I hope Rebirth is nice and easy to slide into. The only non-Vertigo DC books I'm pulling at the moment are Batman and Martian Manhunter. I don't want to jump in and feel like I have to play a bunch of catch-up, it's already gonna stress dat comic budget out to the max. :[

That's what those Rebirth oneshots and that sweet sweet DCBS discount bundle are for.

:D

I really enjoyed the Forever Evil arc. Superwoman was weirdly underused though. Can't wait to read the Darkseid War arc.

Started reading The Legend of Wonder Woman and love it so far. How's Wonder Woman Earth One?

Legend is GOAT.

Earth One is an entirely different animal, but good, from what I've heard. Very, very, very, VERY strange, but good.

I've read some 12 issues of Chew by now and....

gods, what an odd comic.

The arcs are clearly set up to (usually) last 5 issues, the writer seeds future events properly, characters seem to be going through genuine development, and yet... it never stops giving the vibe that it was written with zero planning, that he's pulling stuff out of his ass all the freaking time, and that his idea of rule of cool trumps absolutely anything else, even though he clearly isn't doing any of that.

it's such a bizarre creation.

It's crazy that this is in same universe as BvS.

That's what I really like about how WB's doing things, different movies have different tones and directions. Sure, sometimes you get something like BvS which clearly doesn't land very well with most people, but it also means that you get a ton of variety.

ElNarez

Banned
THAT SHOT OF BOOMERANG TRYING TO FUCK WITH DIABLO WITH THE LIGHTER IS SO DOPE

They're 2/2 on little scenes of Boomerang being an absolute dick in those trailers and I LOVE IT.

Top Bottom